In modern interiors, double curtains are becoming more and more popular. This idea helps in creating interesting looks using several basic colors at once. The double-leaf design adjusts the lighting level of the room. Double curtains add a touch of coziness to any space. They are used in almost any interior. Practical and functional models of the double type look much more interesting in any room than in the usual, single version.
Features of the
Double curtains differ in different variations, one of which is double-sided curtains. This is a special type of curtain that creates a completely mysterious atmosphere. They consist of different types of fabric, there is an additional layer that protects against UV radiation entering the room. Two panels are sewn together, which looks very impressive.
Designers note many positive aspects of double-layer curtains:
- ease of maintenance - two-layer curtains do not have lush folds, which simplifies washing, ironing, installation to the cornice;
- beautiful double-sided curtains can completely replace the classic ones;
- combined with different types of curtains;
- suitable for any interior;
- protect expensive fabric from fading - light-colored fabric is a protection for the front fabric from ultraviolet rays.
Combined curtains, which are one canvas, are now very common. This is an alternation of transparent and opaque strips of fabric, by analogy with double roll models. If such a curtain is pushed apart, the diffused light will penetrate into the room through the transparent stripes. When the canvas is gathered into folds, it becomes opaque and monochromatic.
Double-layer curtains are textile products for decorating a window opening, consisting of two cloths. Moreover, the canvases should be located one on top of the other. They are often decorated with a lambrequin. These canvases can be hung in a variety of ways.
There are several types of double curtains:
Classic. The model consists of two canvases: transparent and darker and denser. Tulle acts as the lower fabric, the upper layer can be a dark dense curtain, which can be replaced if necessary
Double roll. Fabric roller blinds with alternation of fabric strips of different density and color. This model allows you to combine two types of fabrics, for example, tulle and velvet. The structure opens and closes completely on several levels
Double roman. They consist of a pair of independent canvases that are controlled by different mechanisms. In the lower layer, light veils are used, the second canvas is dense, it does not transmit ultraviolet light. By moving the canvases, you can change the lighting level
Pros of double roman curtains:
- two options for use - day and night;
- a variety of combinations with other types of curtains;
- different mounting methods - on a wall, window frame, ceiling;
- functional characteristics do not depend on the method of fastening;
- stylish design - allows you to easily fit into any interior.
Double curtains regulate the penetration of sunlight into the room. For a transparent layer, mesh or organza is often used.
Of the new products, chanselize has recently been encountered. This satin fabric has a glossy sheen on the front side, while the back side is matte. The fabric is considered translucent, therefore, for more complete protection from sunlight, it is better to choose dark colors or combine shenzelize with dense options for curtain fabrics.
Cloths for roller blinds, as a rule, are treated with a special compound that prevents them from collecting dust and absorbing odors. They do not require special care, they are easy to clean, which is why they are often used in the kitchen.
Often in double curtains, heavy fabrics are set off with chiffon, muslin or other transparent fabric. Two dense canvases are used in rooms if the windows are oriented to the south or east. A dark room does not have to be darkened, here double curtains can contain all layers of translucent fabrics: linen, tulle, cotton, lace fabric, decorative mesh.
In double curtains, the harmony of colors and shades is of great importance:
- Contrasting combinations are possible - for example, the most traditional black and white. You can play with halftones: for example, combining light brown and chocolate.
- To visually increase the space, a palette of similar colors of purple and lilac is used. The green-brown tandem is characterized by tranquility and comfort.
- A double curtain looks very interesting and unusual if you fix a single-color half and a fabric with a print next to it. This design will be appropriate in the Provence style.
- The combination of gold and burgundy is typical for the oriental interior. Blue curtains in double curtain compositions are combined with tulle in beige tones, they will be harmonious in the living room.
Among the novelties in curtain design, new draperies are noted. At the same time, it is the double curtains that provide full scope for creative imagination. Multilayer designs of curtain fabrics are fixed in new ways:
- two halves of the curtains are hung in layers, with even stripes;
- one or two curtains can be attached to the wall clip;
- the upper fabric is tied in the middle, forming a "bishop's sleeve";
- the canvases are picked up on the sides by magnetic clamps;
- crossed curtains - canvases in two rows are hung over the entire width of the window, after which one curtain is fixed in one side, the second in the opposite;
- double-strand options are canvases from different layers, by analogy with Japanese ones, which move along different grooves of a double cornice.
Crossed curtains come in different types:
- from a whole canvas … A large amount of tissue is twisted and fixed on the bar. The formed two curtains at the bottom are tied up with grabs;
- from two canvases. The two canvases are connected and attached to the cornice. At the bottom, each half is formed by hooks, holders or knots;
- asymmetric curtains. The version with different heights of canvases will look original. This technique will allow you to more open the window opening.
We select for each room
For the correct choice of double curtains in a particular room, you need to remember some of the nuances.
Classic curtains will be out of place in the kitchen space, here it is most practical to use rolled double canvases. A dark thick curtain can be matched to the color of kitchen accents (bright tiles, furniture sets, textile decor), and the transparent layer can be made white or pastel colors.
Classics and Roman curtains are most often used in the hall. Many options are suitable for the bedroom, the main thing is to give softness to the image.
To the living room
Some living rooms have multiple windows at once. This is most common in corner apartments where windows face two sides. For a room with two windows with placement on one wall, the curtains are decorated with one very wide tulle canvas, as well as two thick curtains. They can be symmetrically pinched from different sides, like lambrequins. The most suitable materials are satin, taffeta, coffee-colored velvet in combination with snow-white tulle. If the windows are located on different walls, lambekens will have to be abandoned by choosing classic curtains. A living room in a classic style will be decorated with almost all types of draperies.
For this type of room, double curtains of calm pastel shades are chosen. The classic combination of a dense curtain and transparent tulle is the best fit for the bedroom. In a modern interior, blackout fabric is appropriate here - three-layer reflective curtains. Each layer plays a role:
- outdoor - reflects the rays of the sun;
- medium - reflects heat;
- internal - decorative.
Often, double curtains with lambrequins on the eyelets are hung in such a room. Manufacturers of ready-made curtains prefer cotton, linen, brocade, silk.
Practical fabrics are chosen for the kitchen. A double roman blind will work very well here. If the kitchen windows are oriented to the north side, strong darkening is not required. Double curtains made of cotton with medium light transmission are used here.
Examples in the interior
Double curtains are appropriate in all interiors. A very interesting solution is double roman blinds. Two conventional Roman structures are fixed one above the other, each equipped with a separate lifting mechanism. The main function of this curtain composition is to smoothly change the amount of light streams coming from the windows. This pattern is often referred to as day-night. The upper curtain facing the room is made of heavy compacted fabric. The inner curtain, on the other hand, is made of translucent airy fabric.
It is very fashionable to combine curtains of different types. For example, it is interesting to combine tulle and a Roman or roll structure, blinds with transparent tulle. Roman shades of light in combination with sheer organza in light peach tones fill the white kitchen with sunshine.
The living room is filled with contrasts. Always the safest combination is black and white. Black with any shade of white - this contrast is perfect in any classic and modern interior style.
Contrasting double curtains made of plain fabric with the same texture - a discreet and elegant option for a bedroom or small living room. These can be different styles: classic or modern. It is characteristic that one color of the curtain is matched to the finish, the second half is in contrast to the upholstery fabric of upholstered furniture or textile decor in the interior of the room.
See below for more details.