Along with new architectural solutions to bring to life the familiar interior of non-standard windows (arched, bay window frames, oblique curved frames), new ways of their design have also come. One of which is the use of flexible curtain rods that can bend and take any shape. This property makes it possible not only to design complex window openings, but also helps to advantageously zone the interior of any apartment.
Features and Benefits
In the world of modern technologies of a modern interior, where asymmetric outlines and smooth lines are indispensable, curtain fastening systems are widely used, which allow preserving the stylistic features of the interior.
The bendable material of the curtain rod can take both a soft bend and an acute angle with a radius of about 5 cm. Due to the combination of a flexible horizontal axis and rigidity of the vertical axis, you can give any non-standard shape to the profile of the curtain rod and choose curtains from any, even heavy material.
Modern models differ:
- high strength of the material, despite its softness and ability to bend easily, adjusting to the selected geometry of the ceiling and walls;
- versatility of use (however, this design is not suitable for ceiling tension systems);
- ease of installation and operation (ensures flawless sliding of curtains);
- the ability to increase or shorten the length of the cornice, choose its width;
- stylish performance (the use of interesting decorative details makes it possible to decorate any room and further emphasize the interior);
- low cost of the product and additional fasteners;
- ease of movement (compactness in packaged form allows you to transport the tape without problems).
Depending on the mounting method, flexible profiles are available with ceiling and wall mounting. There is no difference in the complexity of their installation, therefore the choice of the type of cornices depends on the user's preferences and on the field of application (ceiling structures are more often used for zoning).
Interior designers recommend using ceiling profiles in small spaces with low ceilings. When using this cornice for window openings, you can visually stretch the room.
Due to light translucent curtains suspended from cornices attached to the surface of the ceiling itself, the space of the room seems more open.
Depending on the number of rows, single-row and multi-row profiles are distinguished. Single row - the classic type for simple window decoration compositions. A completely different matter is two-row structures. They allow you to create complex combinations of textile materials in a single window space - attaching several rows of thin curtains, hanging lambrequins, beads and other decorative elements.
Depending on the shape, tape eaves (straight profile), rounded, semicircular and arcuate are distinguished.
Flexible curtain rod of straight form is universal. Systems with rounded corners have a very useful property both from an aesthetic and a practical point of view. When used in the bedroom, when the night curtains are drawn, less light and cold air enters the room, creating a feeling of comfort and security.
Semicircular and arcuate cornices are suitable for structures such as arches, bay windows and skylights, niches inside the room.
Depending on the material, aluminum, plastic and polyurethane curtain rods are distinguished.
Due to their technical characteristics, aluminum profile structures have become very popular. Their advantages cannot but be appreciated:
- reliability, durability and practicality, allowing such systems to withstand heavy curtains;
- ability to be inert to water (when placed in bathrooms and open balconies and attics), do not react to a fire source, and also withstand the influence of high or low temperature conditions, sudden temperature drops;
- long-term preservation of appearance (due to the presence of a special polymer coating that protects the product from the adverse effects of physical and mechanical factors, provides resistance to deformation during the entire service life);
- the ability to change the color of the aluminum tape (performed only by specialists on request, with self-painting, the coating may peel off);
However, due to the fact that aluminum is a rather expensive material, the cost of the cornice will be quite high, but this fact cannot be considered a disadvantage due to the high quality of such material.
The plastic construction also has advantages and disadvantages. Of the advantages, it can be noted:
- a huge selection of colors and shapes (this fact makes it easier to find a suitable option);
- the ability to attach decorative elements (ribbons, beads, lambrequins);
- ease of installation of such a cornice associated with the flexibility of this material;
- water resistance, thermal stability (except for very high temperatures);
- practicality in use;
- lack of special care - dirt is not absorbed into the plastic surface;
- low price compared to aluminum counterparts.
Among the minuses, it can be noted that when buying, you need to keep in mind that, unlike metal products, which have up to four rows, a plastic cornice will include only one or two rows.
Polyurethane structures also deserve special attention. The choice of this type of material is due to the following useful properties:
- resistance to sudden temperature changes;
- high level of product flexibility, elasticity (the ability to design corners of 100 degrees);
- wear resistance during operation;
- chemical inertness (during installation using adhesive agents, it is not deformed due to reactions);
- reliability (withstands heavy combinations of curtains of about 100 kg);
- affordability of the price.
Flexible eaves made of wood are in less demand due to the high price of material and coatings, which come in a variety of shades, often covered with transparent varnish.
Unlike systems made of other materials, wooden structures are not resistant to high temperatures, moisture and chemicals, which limits the scope of use of these curtain rods and complicates the situation with their care. The service life of these products is longer than, for example, those of plastic ones, and their strength is not inferior to analogs.
Wooden baguette cornices are often decorated with delicate designs and carvings.
Flexible wooden cornices are very popular when decorating the interior in the Loft, Country, Provence style. The general design of these structures provides the room with natural harmony and naturalness, this once again emphasizes their uniqueness. When using flexible cornices in the interior of the Modern style, designers choose wooden profiles decorated with inserts of metal, glass and polymer materials.
The product itself is an elastic and durable tape of a certain length, to which there is a set of special fasteners (depending on the place of installation of the structure, there are fasteners on the wall and ceiling), hooks, plugs and supports.
The tape structure serves as the basis for attaching curtains to it. For reliable fastening of the eaves at a given angle, there are calipers that hold the structure in the correct position.
Plugs are used to fasten the edges of the eaves profile. Thanks to these elements, the cornice firmly holds its position when the curtain is opened. In addition, the use of plugs allows the lambrequin to be firmly fixed on the profile.
The brackets are usually made of plastic or aluminum. They regulate the space between the wall and the eaves structure.
Hooks for placing light curtains are small in size, and those that serve for lambrequins are large and heavy. The first ones are located on the bottom row of the profile (their caps hold the edge of the structure), the second ones are located on the top row.
If additional hooks or plugs are required, they can be purchased separately, they are sold individually or in packs.
In some models, the complete set also includes extension cords, this provides the versatility of the product.
Before buying a flexible cornice, you need to carefully measure the width of the window opening, providing for all its bends. Usually, experts advise taking a profile several centimeters longer in order to unforeseen material consumption.
There are several standard sizes of flexible structures (the number of components is in accordance with the length of the tape and is indicated approximately):
- cornice 3.5 meters long (35 pieces of hooks, 4 plugs and 8 supports);
- cornice 5 meters long (50 pieces of hooks and 4 plugs and 11 supports);
- 7-meter cornice (70 pieces of hooks and 6 plugs and 15 supports);
- 10-meter cornice (100 pcs of hooks and 8 plugs and 22 supports);
For professional installation, the size of the product is 50 meters and is complemented by 450 hooks, 50 plugs and 100 supports.
If you want to make a cornice from several rows, buy one long profile and cut it into equal four parts. For example, a flexible ten-meter profile can be used to form a structure of three rows.
How to fix?
Installation of these structures is easy to do on your own. Before carrying out the installation work, it is necessary to prepare the place to which the cornice will be attached (the ceiling must be smooth and clean).
For installation, you need to stock up on tools such as:
- drill, hammer drill or screwdriver;
- self-tapping screws;
- level used in construction;
Often, instructions with a description of the detailed assembly and installation diagram are included in the package with the product.
The installation of the cornice includes a sequence of certain actions:
- First, draw with a pencil the direction of the bend on the ceiling.
- Then the holes are drilled with a perforator at a given interval and dowels are screwed into them.
- Fix the brackets and calipers, attach the hooks to the base of the structure.
- The flexible profile with hooks is fixed with self-tapping screws at the place where the calipers are attached.
- Hang the curtain fabric on the installed system using hooks.
If in advance it is supposed to use only tulle curtains, the weight of which is small, you can glue the cornice on a special glue. This will facilitate installation work and reduce construction costs.
What can be replaced?
In some cases, you can hang curtains without purchasing a curtain rod. You can use fishing line, dense thread or string, attach it in certain places on the wall, providing light plastic hooks.
Sometimes designers, bypassing the cornices, choose interesting hooks that are screwed with self-tapping screws directly to the surface of the wall or ceiling. However, the curtains will not be able to move.
A cheap option is to use regular plastic hooks with glue or special suction cups.
Despite the budgetary cost, all of the listed options will either look not very aesthetically pleasing, or will not be practical and are suitable for a country house or a temporary rented apartment.
Interesting examples in the interior
Flexible cornice - the ideal choice for custom design of windows of any shape in any style. A living room or bedroom in the Empire and Baroque style looks especially luxurious. And no matter whether it is Roman or ordinary curtains, attaching a lambrequin is also possible.
This type of construction does not take up much space, therefore it is often used to create designs for balcony bay windows, in attics or on ordinary balconies.
To divide the space into separate sections as part of the work on a modern interior solution, specialists often use such structures. For example, when delimiting zones in a studio apartment of this type, cornices are installed to attach canopy-type curtains or various screens to them, which, in turn, perform the function of zoning the room.
The option of separating the kitchen area in studio apartments is very beneficial, because by closing the kitchen with a dense screen, you can prevent the spread of odors that arise during cooking. For some models of this design, it is possible to withstand loads from fabrics of any density and mass, the choice in favor of flexible cornices becomes obvious.
This type of product has found its place in the premises of children's rooms: placement of a canopy over the cradle, allocation of an area for play, study and recreation areas.
The flexible cornice profile is also used in bathrooms. Since in the modern interior bathtubs of a non-standard shape are often present, waterproof curtains and screens are used instead of expensive and difficult-to-manufacture plastic sliding doors. It should be noted that in this case, the cornices are also waterproof.
The flexible ceiling cornice can also play the role of an independent decor, solving the most avant-garde tasks of designers. So, for example, an interior in the style of any modern trend, where the masters focus on color, will perfectly complement the cornices painted in a bright neon color.
Users in the reviews note the following advantages of flexible curtain rods: smooth sliding during operation, ease of installation, complete system equipment at a low cost. In addition, one of the most important advantages is the aesthetics of the premises, in which ordinary cornices have been replaced by bendable structures.
Among the shortcomings, they highlight the fact that not all types of flexible profiles can withstand heavy curtains, sometimes the curtain does not move freely enough due to irregularities on the ceiling and walls.
But despite these nuances, the flexible cornice is an ideal solution for rooms and windows of an unusual geometric shape.
If the time has come to change the interior and bring originality and comfort to your living space, you should pay attention to this type of cornices, especially at its pleasant price.
For information on how to install a flexible ceiling cornice, see the next video.