The loft style is gradually gaining popularity. This applies not only to furniture and the design features of the room, but also to decorative details. Loft-style pendant lights stand out for their unusual appearance and attract attention. From this article you can find out about what such lamps should be like, how to select them for the interior features.
Features of the
To begin with, it is worth understanding what the loft style itself is - in order to understand what details are appropriate in such an interior. A loft is a combination of untreated surfaces, metal parts and natural wood products. This style appeared in America, in the distant forties.
Its main difference is that industrial premises began to be used for housing. These could be warehouses, former factories, and so on.
In such rooms, the windows were large and the ceilings were high. That is why it was necessary to think over the lighting so that the pendant lamps provided enough light for the entire room.
There are other features as well:
- Modern apartments and loft-style houses are also usually quite spacious. There should be enough light in such a room. Designers try to select different lighting options, from classic pendant lamps to floor lamps and LED lamps.
- Very often, a loft-style room is a combination of several rooms. The living or dining room can be connected to the kitchen. In this case, the lamp should be bright and illuminate both rooms at once.
- In the loft style, such a technique as contrast is very often used. The luminaire can stand out brightly against the general background, drawing attention to itself. So, for example, in a room with untreated brick walls, a pendant lamp made of metal and distinguished by its massiveness looks original.
In some cases, in one room there is not one pendant lamp, but several at once. Indeed, in such a room there should be a lot of light - both natural and artificial.
Pendant lamps in this style are often extremely simple. The luminaire should be laconic, monochromatic, even slightly rude. Often, ceiling lights are attached to iron beams or hang on fairly massive chains of metal or steel. It looks impressive and very stylish.
As for the design of the lampshade, it is usually not very bright. Too many color accents and decorative details are definitely not the right option. It is better to choose lamps with light or metal shades.
Aluminum fixtures look very good. Designers agree that aluminum is the perfect material for loft-style interiors. And here the point is not only that it looks spectacular, but also that aluminum bends perfectly. It can take on the desired shape.
Another interesting option for lighting a loft-style room is the use of small spotlights on metal rods. Such lamps are reminiscent of lamps that are common in factories.
Modern loft-style lamps very often have some kind of fancy shape. These can be simple geometric shapes or more unusual options. The design work is especially interesting. Of course, lamps from manufacturers like Lussole are quite expensive, but they are able to create a truly indescribable atmosphere in the room.
Hanging lamps are one of the easiest ways to zone a space, dividing it up as you see fit. In different rooms, designers use different options for decorative lamps. The next step is to consider how to plan lighting in any loft-style living space.
Since there are usually a lot of household appliances in the kitchen, it is worth choosing lighting fixtures that match the style. Most often these are products made of stainless steel or aluminum.
Ceiling lights are ideal lighting for your kitchen as they won't take up much space but still provide enough light.
But what to avoid is lamps with a textile shade or a pretty floral design. Such lamps do not at all fit into the industrial and rugged loft style.
Bedrooms tend to be more comfortable. Even if the room is decorated in a loft style, you should still try to soften the interior. Ceiling lamps in such a room are usually attached with rather rigid cords, which makes them very reliable.
The lampshade for such lamps can be glass or metal. Designers advise avoiding crystal, but glass can also look beautiful and impressive. You can find lampshades made of transparent, tinted or even colored glass.
If a large room is allocated for the living room, then it can either be divided into several zones with the help of lighting fixtures or illuminated with the help of bright and massive lamps.
In the first case, you can fix several simple lamps on long chains on a long metal beam.
Lamps resembling spotlights help to zone the room. With the help of such lamps, you can direct the light to the desired areas, drawing attention to them. This can help you create a comfortable seating area or separate your work space.
In the living room, professionals recommend using soft and diffused light. It is this kind of lighting that will create a cozy atmosphere in which it will be pleasant to spend your free time in the company of friends and family.
Finally, you should heed the advice of professionals who will definitely help you make your room more comfortable:
- First, remember that a lamp is a source of light, and only then is a decorative element. It is very good if the lamp looks like an original piece of art. However, you need to make sure that it provides enough light and is located in the right place.
- Secondly, it is recommended to use several types of luminaires at once, while not being limited only to suspended ones. Combine lamps so that they match with each other. Materials like plastic, metal, and untreated wood work best.
- One last thing to keep in mind: the loft style does not allow the use of ostentatiously expensive pieces of furniture or lamps. Choose lighting fixtures keeping this basic rule in mind, and they will become an appropriate addition to the interior. You can easily impress your friends who come to visit.
For more information on loft-style luminaires, see the next video.