When it comes to additional lighting, the purchase of a table lamp immediately comes to mind. However, it is foolish to assume that all devices are the same. That is why special attention should be paid to the choice of children's table lamps.
First of all, attention is attracted by inexpensive and bright models. But do not forget about the functionality, the degree of illumination of a particular type of lamp and, of course, about the materials of construction.
Perhaps the most functional and convenient are the luminaires with flexible designs (tripods). Thanks to such a support, the lamp easily assumes a predetermined position, thus changing the direction of the light will not be difficult even for a child. In addition, such devices have a mount that reliably holds it on the edge of the table, taking up a minimum of space and without damaging the integrity of its coating. Another advantage is mobility.
When choosing this kind of lighting device, it is worth considering the length of the flexible neck, otherwise the lamp will interfere and will not provide a sufficient degree of illumination. In other words, for preschool children, a height of about 30 centimeters will be sufficient, but for schoolchildren, the lamp should be able to take up space above the computer monitor.
Among other types, the following are common:
- The luminaire model is quite convenient with a clip-on fastener. The design is quite stable and mobile, easy to operate. The only difference is the length of the tripod (neck).
- The most common at all times were classic table lamps with plastic or metal housing. Models are made with a stable stand and a fixed leg. The only drawback is the inability to adjust the direction of the light beam.
- Another equally popular type of lamps for children is the floor floor lamp. Externally, this is the same table lamp, but with a floor base with a long leg. Basically, models are produced without the ability to adjust the height of the lighting part, that is, the tripod has a certain length. But the manufacturers have added an interesting detail in the form of an additional bar that can change position.
- Lamps with night light used for night time, can have any type of tripod. In such devices, lamps of blue color or a very weak degree of light emission are installed. The lampshade is mainly made of textiles or decorated plastic for a softer lighting effect.
- Manufacturers specially produce children's models of lampshades. So, for example, a drawing with dolls or a flower exposition is suitable for a girl, and cars for a boy. Universal models have images from popular cartoons or with animals.
- Children's board games are also common. lamps with clocks. In this case, the alarm clock is built into the base of the device and has either a standard shape or is presented as a toy with a dial. Such a watch works on ordinary batteries.
Essentially, desk lamps do not require a powerful stream of light. Therefore, it is wise to use a light bulb no more powerful than 100 watts. Basically, however, 60-watt or energy-saving bulbs are used. The degree of illumination is a purely individual matter.
For preschool children, strong lighting is usually not required to avoid unnecessary stress on mental state and vision. But for schoolchildren, the degree of illumination should be proportional to the size of the workplace. That is, the larger the table, the brighter the light or its scattering area.
Also, the degree of its thermal radiation directly depends on the power of the light bulb, which, in turn, has an important effect on the well-being of the child. In addition, some models, depending on the material of construction, have recommendations for choosing the power and model of lamps. Such measures help to avoid overheating of the lampshades and increase the service life of the device.
If you give preference to energy-saving fluorescent bulbs, then instead you can get bright daylight lighting that will last for years. But the high brightness and intensity of radiation with a blue tint contributes to increased fatigue of the visual organ, and the mercury in the composition of the light bulb poses a threat to health if it is accidentally damaged. Therefore, for kids and schoolchildren, experts consider the use of conventional incandescent lamps the best option. They provide sufficient light, have a soft yellow light and are safe.
Recently, LED lamps are gaining more and more popularity. They have a very long service life and save energy. A tangible disadvantage is the high cost. However, such costs pay off very quickly.
So, the best option for a children's table lamp would be a regular incandescent lamp with a power slightly above average, or an LED lamp with the ability to adjust the luminous flux power.
If the shape of the lampshade of the luminaire is provided in the form of a trapezoid or a cone, due to which the light is diffused in the necessary way, then the material of construction will have to be selected based on the technical characteristics:
The fabric shade diffuses light from the light bulb well. However, the canvas is easily damaged when using a high power lamp, and the dust settles on it much more. Therefore, such a shade will have to be cleaned quite often. The indisputable advantage of such lampshades is a huge selection of shades, patterns and models. This will allow you to easily find the right option for any room interior
The plastic models look impressive. The variety of shapes and colors is amazing. Yet the material itself is completely impractical. If the luminaire is used frequently, there is a risk of overheating of the plafond, which is fraught with various consequences. For example, when the light bulb heats up strongly, the lampshade will begin to melt and even drain onto the work surface of the table, as well as emit unpleasant odors and gases harmful to health. Therefore, there is a great risk of getting burned or poisoned
- The metal case is the most practical. The material is resistant to overheating and mechanical stress (for example, falling). Metal diffuses light well. Still, there is a chance of getting a burn from a hot lamp if accidentally touching it.
- Glass. It looks beautiful, but also not practical as a shade. The glass must be thick, heat-resistant and resistant to mechanical damage. In addition, there are no transparent options, so you need to choose a lampshade painted with non-toxic paint.
Where to put?
The installation location of the luminaire directly depends on its functionality and the purpose of its use.
There is one more important point worth paying attention to. It depends on which hand the child is writing with (left-handed or right-handed). If the baby works with his left hand, then the lighting device must be placed on the right side of the desktop. If the child is right-handed, then the device should be installed on the left. If possible, the table lamp can be placed in the middle of the table, but for this it must have the required diffusion area, and the table must be wide enough.
When using a table lamp-transformer or with a clip-on mount in order to increase the lighting area and save space, the device is mounted on the nearest bookshelf or on the wall of the cabinet.
It is worth remembering that a table lamp should not be the only lighting device for a child's class. Otherwise, the baby's fatigue will increase and the load on the eyes will increase.
What to be guided by when choosing?
Not everything that glitters is expensive, and not all expensive models meet the necessary requirements. Therefore, once in a specialized store, you should immediately seek help from a seller or consultant.
First of all, you need to firmly know where the device will be delivered and for what purpose it will be used. It is also worth deciding on the color scheme so that the lamp fits harmoniously into the interior of the children's room. And of course, it is very important to hear the opinion of the future owner of this device, because it is the child, and not the parents, who will have to use it every day.
For information on how to choose a table lamp, see the next video.