A bathroom, like all other rooms in a house or apartment, needs good lighting. But the high humidity in it and the excess of steam often render lighting devices unusable. In addition, sometimes it is simply dangerous to install them here because of the threat of electric shock. But do not be upset or worried about your safety, because today special waterproof lamps for the bathroom have appeared on the market.
As a rule, such special waterproof luminaires practically do not differ in appearance from ordinary ones, but at the same time they have a number of design features.
First of all, such products are characterized by a dense shade, which cannot be easily removed by hand without using tools. Shades are usually matte in color. When tapped, they emit dull sounds. It is this protective cover that is the first factor that ensures the moisture resistance of the luminaire itself.
Also, such waterproof lighting fixtures must have hermetic seals at the joints of the luminaire parts, made of rubber. It is this design that provides additional protection against water.
Another design feature of such bathroom lighting fixtures is that all their parts inside, located under the protective cover themselves, also have a special protection against moisture.
There are more modern models that are protected not only from the negative effects of water, but also dust and dirt. Such a lamp is called dust and moisture resistant. On the surface of the plafond of such models, either there is a special coating, or the plafond itself is made of a material that repels dust particles.
There is one more feature, which consists in the presence of a special marking of the degree of protection of the lamp from water. These waterproof devices fall into several categories depending on how efficiently and safely they can operate in humid conditions. More details about this parameter will be discussed below.
The design features of such devices include the type of their power supply. There are models that work in the same way as ordinary lamps, that is, from connecting to the electrical network, but there are those that do not need a wire at all for operation.
All these design features make waterproof luminaires not only very popular with buyers, but also safe for their use.
Benefits of using
Those people who have not yet experienced moisture-proof bathroom lighting fixtures by their own experience are interested in exactly what benefits they will get by starting to use them. I would like to say right away that such devices have a lot of advantages, but among all of them the most basic ones can be distinguished:
- Safety is the most important asset. Regardless of whether you have a bathroom or a shower stall, you will not have to worry about a burst light bulb, a short circuit in electricity and some other problems. At the same time, you can choose sealed luminaires with the highest degree of moisture resistance, which will work even after a strong jet of water hits them.
- Resistant to damage. Due to the fact that such lighting fixtures are made from modern types of plastic and glass, they are practically immune to shock.Therefore, you do not have to worry about the safety of the protective glass in the event of an accidental blow to the device.
- Durability. Thanks to their unique design, such luminaires are protected from short circuits, and the manufacturer guarantees them a long service life.
- Wide variety of models and types of such waterproof lighting fixtures for the bathroom allows you to choose the best option for any room.
- It is possible to organize versatile lighting. Using just such devices, you can arrange a point light in the bathroom, floor or wall. So, for example, for bathing a child, you can use additional lamps or bulbs, and when bathing adults, refuse them.
- Affordable cost and ease of use are perhaps one of the main advantages.
In addition to all of the above, such lighting units are completely environmentally friendly, and besides, they have an attractive appearance.
Agree that a very small number of home lighting devices have such significant advantages. In addition, in addition to all of the above, such lamps also have anti-corrosion properties. Therefore, it is not surprising that their popularity is increasing every day.
Fixtures in the bathroom should not only be waterproof, but also resistant to dust and dirt, both on their surface and inside. Therefore, the security index, which is designated by two letters - IP, also contains a two-digit number, in which the first digit means the level of protection from dust, and the second from moisture.
The degree of protection of such lighting fixtures from dust can be as follows:
- The number 0 means that this device has no such protection at all.
- The unit denotes models that have a low level of protection against objects no more than 50 mm in diameter. In this case, with a deliberate blow, such protection does not work.
- Number 2 indicates an average degree of protection against any objects larger than 12 mm.
- The triple is evidence that the luminaire has an average protection against solid objects larger than 1 cm.
It should be noted that devices marked with such numbers are protected only from solid objects, but they do not belong to the dust-repellent category. If the number 4 is indicated on the luminaire after the IP, it means that it has an average level of dust protection. Models marked with the number 5 are completely protected from dust getting into the inside of the device itself. Plus, such a lamp with the maximum level of dust protection is also called heat-resistant, since even at high heating temperatures it retains its ideal appearance and full functionality.
The second digit in the IP index directly indicates the level of protection of the device against moisture.
This indicator can be deciphered as follows:
- 0 - any degree of protection is absent;
- 1 - only small amounts of vertical drops are allowed;
- 2 - it is allowed to get vertically falling water particles at an angle of fifteen degrees when the device is turned;
- 3 - indicates that the model is equipped with protection against scattering splashes, while they must hit the model either vertically or at an angle not exceeding 60 degrees;
- 4 - strong splashes are allowed at any slope;
- The number 5 marks lamps that can work when a water jet directly hits them at different angles;
- 6 products are marked that are reliably protected from strong water jets or even water waves;
- The number 7 indicates that the lamp, immersed in water for 100 cm for a short time, fully retains its performance both upon contact with water and after it;
- 8 indicates that the luminaires can operate at a depth of 100 cm with prolonged contact with water without interruption and their performance is maintained in the future.
- The number 9 denotes the most powerful devices that can work for a long time under water at its high pressure at various depths. At home, such models are not used.
Based on such a brief description, it becomes clear that the purchased moisture-proof luminaire for the home must be marked with such a type as IP42, IP34 and so on.
It is best to give preference to models that have dust-repellent properties. They are more convenient and practical to use, and also have a longer service life. But choosing and installing lighting fixtures in a bathroom with such characteristics should not only be based on the degree of their protection, but also the level of humidity in the room. At the same time, it is very important to remember that in different zones, but in the same room, this indicator can vary significantly.
Placement depending on humidity zones
The entire bathroom room can be conditionally divided into four large zones, which differ from each other in the degree of their humidity. It is necessary to install moisture-resistant lighting devices based on their accounting, since the wrong choice of a device for a specific area can lead to injuries, short circuits, or, at best, incorrect operation of the device itself.
Now directly about the humidity zones themselves:
- The first category includes those parts of the room where the humidity reaches 100%. This applies to the shower cubicle itself or the perimeter of the bathroom. Experts allow the installation of lighting devices in such places with a power of no more than 12 W, while the minimum level of their protection from water should be 7 units.
- The second zone of intense humidity from the wall, which is located in the immediate vicinity of the bath or cabin and has a height of at least 2 meters from them. Such zones are characterized by frequent ingress of copious amounts of steam or splashes on them, plus, in addition, the highest air temperature in the entire room is often recorded here. Taking these parameters into account, in the second zone, it is allowed to install lighting devices with a power of up to 16 W and with an index of dust and moisture protection from IP34 and above.
- Zone 3 is a place within a radius of 60 cm from the end point of the second zone. The humidity level in this part of the room is average, since there is almost no possibility of water and a large amount of steam getting on the lamps. Here you can install devices with a power of 16 W and more, and their security index must be at least IP24.
- The fourth zone includes the rest of the bathroom space. The humidity level in this part is minimal in comparison with others, therefore, when choosing lighting devices, the first digit of the security index can be ignored at all, and the second should be equal to one or two. But despite this, it is not recommended to install lamps, even in this part of the room, in which the lamp is not completely covered with a shade. It is better to give preference to those models that have full surface protection against moisture in the form of a closed shade.
By choosing and placing bathroom lighting fixtures that are moisture resistant, taking into account these recommendations, you will not only be able to create the perfect lighting in this room, but also make it completely safe and durable.
Types of devices
All models of luminaires sold today can be subdivided into several large groups, depending on the possibility of changing their location. According to this feature, waterproof models can be:
Built-in. When designing a bathroom, such lighting fixtures are pre-built into its ceiling, walls, and sometimes into the floor.If necessary, changing their location is possible only by completely dismantling and re-installing one-piece in a new place
This lighting option is suitable for those who like stability and practicality. Embedded models, as a rule, belong to the point category, but there may be other varieties as well.
Portable. Such models can be safely moved in the bathroom in any direction. The main thing is to ensure that the level of protection of the device corresponds to the humidity zone of the installation
In most cases, these models operate independently of a battery or batteries, but sometimes a portable outlet can also be used for their operation.
- Standard luminaires - these are those that are usually located in the center of the ceiling and have one or two lighting bulbs. They can neither be moved nor changed the lighting area. These ceiling models are found in almost every bathroom.
- Overhead waterproof luminaires. To some extent, they can be classified as portable, because such models can be easily installed in almost all places in the bathroom, but more often they are attached to walls or mirrors.
Floor models usually installed in large bathrooms. They allow you to create the most comfortable atmosphere and beautiful color. Such devices can work constantly, or they can react to movements, that is, they light up when someone walks on the floor
Wall appliances allow you to create the most comfortable lighting in the bathroom. They fully illuminate the entire area, but at the same time, in certain areas, the degree of illumination is brighter, for example, near a mirror or directly the bath itself
Such devices are quite convenient to use, but giving your choice in their favor, it is necessary to choose models with a high level of moisture resistance.
Spotlights allow you to create lighting using a variety of compact lighting fixtures, while the degree of illumination in different areas can have different intensities
Until recently, such devices were installed only on the ceiling, but today it is possible to place spot lighting in the bathroom on the walls.
Built into furniture or other interior items waterproof lighting fixtures. They stand out in a separate group, and their main purpose is to create brighter and more intense light in a particular part
The most popular are the models built into the mirror frame or into the bath along its perimeter. When choosing such a source of lighting, you should take care in advance that furniture and other interior items are suitable for installing such devices.
Lightbox Is a lighting fixture that creates high-quality daylight in the bathroom, while in appearance it completely resembles an ordinary window. Most bathrooms do not have real windows, or they are small and do not provide enough light. Using such a lightbox, you can not only visually improve the appearance of the room, but also create correct and high-quality lighting in it
Waterproof lighting devices are divided into different groups, not only by this criterion, but also by their appearance.
So, lamps for a bathroom can be in the form of a sconce, an ordinary plafond with a light bulb, or an exquisite chandelier. It is necessary to choose the appearance of such a device based on the area of the room, its style, as well as personal preferences.
Do not forget that all models of moisture-proof lamps are divided into several types, depending on what kind of lamp is installed in them. Today manufacturers put on sale such lighting devices of the following types:
LED Bulbs are the most popular.These LED lamps have a long lifespan that exceeds the lifespan of all other lamps. They come on sale in several varieties, differing from each other not only in power, but also in light. They can be yellow, cool white, or normal daytime. Diode models are similar in appearance to wasp honeycombs, and all due to the fact that the principle of their operation is to connect several diodes into one
Luminescent models can have a different appearance, but most often - a spiral shape. The principle of their work is that an electric current passes through mercury vapor, as a result of which light radiation appears. Such models also have a long service life and good technical characteristics, but they should be used with caution, in particular, protected from mechanical damage, otherwise mercury vapors will end up outside. For their work, you do not need to install a special transformer, and their light can be yellow, daylight or blue
For bathrooms, it is better to install models with daylight.
Classic incandescent lamp today it is mainly used in conventional ceiling luminaires. When installing it, you need to take care of purchasing a special waterproof plafond, since if water or steam hits the glass, the lamp will burst. Usually the light of such bulbs is yellow. All models have different levels of light intensity
But today experts recommend abandoning such models in favor of more modern ones due to the danger and fragility of their operation.
Halogen bulb Is a more modernized model of the standard incandescent lamp. It has a longer service life and a higher power - twice more than the previous model
A significant drawback, as in classic bulbs, is high fragility.
Today, bathroom lighting experts still recommend giving preference to lamps with either LEDs or fluorescent models. They are safer to use, have a long service life, and have many options for the intensity and light of the lighting itself. Such a wide range allows you to choose a lamp in a waterproof luminaire that fully meets the requirements of the buyer and is most suitable for each bathroom.
The assortment and model range of moisture-proof bathroom fixtures is quite wide, and products from various manufacturers are also on sale. It is not surprising that from such a wide assortment, many people are simply lost and do not know which particular device should be given preference. In order to make the right choice and not be disappointed in your new lighting fixture, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the best manufacturers of waterproof bathroom fixtures:
Odeon. Italian lamps from this manufacturer have high technical characteristics; both ceiling and wall-ceiling models can be found on sale. Lighting devices have a sufficiently high power, operate from one light bulb, and the minimum illumination area is three square meters. There are models that work from three lamps. All lamps are characterized by compactness, attractive appearance, safety and durability
Ecola. Specializes in the manufacture and manufacture of LED waterproof and dustproof lighting fixtures. Available in overhead, swivel and overhead models. High quality and stylish appearance, as well as a wide range of models allow you to purchase the best bathroom fixture
ASD Is another reliable manufacturer of this product.Its lamps are characterized by a variety of models, attractive appearance, affordable cost, high technical characteristics and long-term operation
Among the assortment, each customer will find a lighting device that fully meets his requirements. It is also important that the manufacturer is very careful in the choice of materials for the manufacture of their products.
SLV. This brand also deserves the attention of buyers, like the previous three. The high quality of the raw materials used to create lamps provides them with a long service life and complete safety. Attractive appearance and a variety of models make it possible to choose the most suitable appliance for your bathroom
Manufacturer from Poland Downlight lug differs in that it equips its lamps with a special shade, which concentrates the main stream of light in one place. Therefore, such models are most suitable for creating spot lighting. A wide variety of shapes and types of devices allows you to choose a lamp for every taste and color. It has a fairly long service life and quite an acceptable cost
Under the brand name Massive the most robust, durable and reliable devices are produced, the quality of which has been confirmed by numerous tests. Durability and safety are the main characteristics of the lamps of this brand. Plus, a wide range of wall-mounted, built-in and portable models is also considered a major plus
Austrian company Eglo also deserves close attention of buyers. The lamps of its production are distinguished by an unusual attractive and stylish appearance, durability and safety. Chrome-plated wall or ceiling models can be used both together and separately
Such devices are widely used to create ordinary or spot lighting. The assortment also includes portable models.
These manufacturers, according to numerous buyers, are the most reliable. Bathroom lighting products are of high quality, durability and a wide range of products.
It is also noteworthy that some other manufacturers, whose homeland is Italy or Germany, have also proven themselves positively, however, it is quite difficult to find their products on domestic shelves.
In conclusion, I would like to share some of the nuances in the selection and installation of such lighting fixtures in the bathroom.
First of all, it should be remembered that the smaller the bathroom itself, the more carefully the lamps should be selected in it. Humidity in a small room is always higher than in a large one, so in such cases it is better to purchase devices with a high level of moisture resistance - both for the first and second humidity zones.
Do not forget that the power of the lamp should also be selected taking into account the area of the room - the larger it is, the more powerful the device itself should be. If we talk about radiation light, then it is better to give preference to ordinary warm daylight or slightly yellow. These colors, according to experts, are best suited for such a room.
LED models, like luminescent ones, are considered the safest and most durable, so when choosing, first of all, you should pay attention to them. The manufacturers were described in detail above, so it is better to give preference to those that are included in our review.
The choice of the type of lighting should depend on the area of the bathroom, the degree of its overcrowding, as well as personal wishes.
Most experts advise, in addition to the classic lamp, it is imperative to use portable models to improve the quality of lighting.
And, of course, the overall design of the room must also be taken into account. The bathroom is considered a place of solitude and relaxation, therefore, special attention must be paid to the design of its lighting design. There should be enough light, and the lamps should fit into the overall interior as much as possible and at the same time create a calm and peaceful atmosphere.
In general, we can say that moisture-proof bathroom fixtures are more of a necessity than a momentary whim. Their purchase and installation allows you to visit the bathroom with maximum comfort and safety, and a wide variety of models allows you to create the lighting of your dreams.
With the right choice and location of lamps, they will not only help create the right light, but can also turn the room itself into a real work of art, especially when using recessed models.
The main thing is to take into account the humidity zones in the room and the degree of protection, and then such a device will only delight you.
You will learn about the basic rules for choosing bathroom fixtures in the next video.