The bed and the mattress are a tandem, without which it is impossible to imagine a full healthy sleep. The size of the mattress is usually determined by the size of the bed, which can be standard or custom. The dimensions of the bed frame and the mattress should ideally match each other and not differ by more than 1-2 cm, otherwise a comfortable sleep will become the ultimate dream and a rare intermittent dream. It is important to know what the sizes of mattresses are in order to find the best option.
Features of the
Countries differ among themselves not only in the standards of the berth, but also in the units of measurement. For example, in the USA it is customary to use inches, in France, Italy and Russia - centimeters. When buying Italian or other European furniture, you don't have to worry about the size of the future mattress and choose one that will definitely fit the dimensions of the bed. But with furniture from the United States, such a number will not work. American King size - 78 inches wide and 80 long in terms of centimeters - 198.1 x 203.1 cm. These subtleties of producing countries should be taken into account when choosing a bed and mattress, and therefore you need to choose one manufacturer or at least one country production of both. Otherwise, you can be mistaken by 2-3 cm in size, which will bring inconvenience to the bedroom.
Usually the size of the berth is 1-2 cm larger than the size of the mattress. A small margin at the base of the bed is needed in order to place and secure the product on it.
If this stock is created artificially (that is, you specifically decide to purchase a larger bed), then the proportion will be violated and sleep will become at least uncomfortable.
If the size of the base turns out to be much larger than the mattress, then the latter will "crawl" back and forth, less - the product simply will not be marked on the bed. Even if you push it into the frame, it will lose its orthopedic properties due to its compactness.
Standard and non-standard
Sleeping mattress standards differ from country to country. There are two measurement systems: English and metric. English is used in the USA, England and Australia, metric is used in Russia, Italy, France and most other European and former Soviet Union countries. Recently, euro mattresses have become popular, but they also differ from each other depending on the country of origin. In Europe, a single bed has a width of 90-100 cm, in the USA - 99 cm. One and a half in Europe is determined by a width of 140-160 cm, in the USA - 137.2 cm. "Double beds" in Europe - a bed of 180 or 200 cm, in the USA - 193/198 x 203.2 cm or 182.9 x 213.36 cm. Below we will talk about the usual European sizes for us.
Mattresses differ not only in filler, but also in size. By the way, the height of the product just depends on its "filling", and spring models are usually higher than springless ones. But more on that later, now we will consider the standard and not quite standard bed sizes.
The length of a single model can be 190, 195 and 200 cm. Non-standard sizes are elongated beds with the same elongated mattress 210, 220 and 230 cm and a completely familiar width of up to 140 cm. Beds for teenagers or single beds have a standard berth, which is defined as follows:
- 80 x 200 cm;
- 90 x 200 cm;
- 100 x 200 cm;
- 120 x 200 cm;
- 140 x 200 cm.
A crib for a newborn has a mattress size of 60 x 120 cm or 65 x 130 cm from some (more often European) manufacturers. When buying, the cots are equipped with a suitable mattress right on the spot, so that their parameters exactly match each other.
Beds for children over 3 years old usually have dimensions of 70 x 140 (160) cm, and mattresses are matched to them according to the same dimensions. The width of the berth can vary from 80, 90, 100 cm to 110 and 120 cm, the length - from 120, 130, 140 cm to 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 and 200 cm.
Parameters 190, 195 and 200 cm are considered to be the unified length of the "adult" mattress. 210, 220 and 230 cm refer to non-standard parameters, which can also be easily found on sale or made to order.
The width of an adult berth is determined by 140, 160, 180 and 200 cm. 140 cm belongs to the category of one and a half beds, but this size is quite enough for two. The name Queen size is a mattress 180 x 200, King size - 200 x 200 cm.
A rectangle is the most familiar and accessible form of a mattress for most of us. An alternative to it is the round shape of the berth, the diameter of which is determined by 200, 210, 220 and 230 cm. It belongs to the category of non-standard products, which are distinguished by their originality and high cost. Non-standard double sleeper is usually made to order according to individual sizes in large and small factories. To do this, you need to provide a sketch of the future product and be guided by the size and shape of the bed itself, so that the future product ideally "fits" into it.
As noted, the height of a product depends on its filler and can vary greatly. And the higher it is, the more comfortable the rest. Under the weight of a person's body, the mattress bends, thick models bend more (we may not even notice this). Therefore, they are so comfortable, convenient and sweet to lie and sleep on. Let's go back to the height of the bed:
- 3-4 cm is the minimum height of a mattress, which is more often called a mattress topper. It serves to protect the main product from getting wet and worn out;
- 8-10 cm - the optimal height of the orthopedic springless product, sufficient for a comfortable sleep;
- 16-20 cm is the usual height of springless mattresses;
- 18-30 cm - height of spring models;
- 40 cm, high from 50 cm and you she mattresses belong to the premium class.
If we talk about the height of a children's product, then it is much less than an adult. The optimum height is 3-15 cm. And they are all springless.
To choose the optimal height, first of all, start from the weight of those who are resting on an adult bed:
- Weighing up to 50 kg you can opt for a thin springless mattress made of latex and polyurethane foam or spring models of the Bonnel type;
- Up to 90 kg an ideal choice would be a mattress with independent springs of medium firmness (256 or more springs);
- For a person weighing more than 90 kg it is worth choosing models with independent springs (620 units and above) or a springless model with a thickness of 20 cm of medium and high stiffness.
In the mattress passport, the manufacturer indicates the load on one berth. When choosing a mattress for a couple, it is important to consider the weight of each of them and proceed from the higher weight. If the difference in weight is insignificant (up to 10 kg), then almost any mattress can be chosen, except for springs " Bonnel"(If the couple are not heavyweights). If the difference is about 20-30 kg, then you should choose high mattresses with a block of independent springs (620 units) or two springless mattresses with different filling. In simple words, the higher the orthopedic mattress, the more weight it can withstand. But tall models with dependent springs are not suitable for heavy weights.
They are not recommended for couples with a difference in weight, because under a large weight the springs will bend more strongly, and a smaller person will simply roll in the opposite direction.
How to choose the length?
It is determined by the length of the bed or bed. The optimal one is considered when there is a reserve of 20-30 cm from the height of a person. For example, the height of a vacationer is 170 cm, which means that a comfortable length for him will be 190, 195 and 200 cm. If one of the family members is 190 cm tall, then this is a reason to think about buying a non-standard bed and a mattress of 210 or 220 cm.
It can be difficult for a child to choose the length of a mattress. For a newborn, models of 60 x 120 cm or 65 x 130 cm are usually chosen - they are compact and quite comfortable. They serve up to 3 years or until the child outgrows the sleeping place.
For grown-up children from 2-3 years old, you should choose standard models 70 x 140 cm or growing beds, the length of which increases to 190-200 cm.
Can you customize it?
Yes. Custom mattresses usually include:
- Models non-standard in width;
- Beveled, oval, round, trapezoidal, square mattress (except 200 x 200 cm).
Such products are made with a surcharge and according to the parameters of the bed itself.
Rating of the best
Russian manufacturers of mattresses have established themselves as one of the best:
- Toris. The mattress manufacturer has been operating since 1998. The brand has its own unique developments like PocketSpringSilent - an independent spring unit, which has no analogues in Russia. The production is located in the city of Murom and has high-tech modern equipment.
- Consul. A lesser known manufacturer of mattresses from economy to premium segment. The products are distinguished by an affordable price and high quality, which is confirmed annually by more than a million satisfied customers.
- Ormatek. Famous for the impeccable quality of the mattresses. The manufacturer produces about 3,000 items per day, including "oldies" and innovative products. In addition, the brand manufactures spring blocks and sells them to small manufacturers.
- Askona. The largest factory in Russia, which is part of the Swedish concern Hilding Anders Group. Mattresses are produced on a conveyor line, and materials and components are purchased from both domestic and Western suppliers. The brand has its own laboratory, within the walls of which mattress samples are tested and undergo a series of tests. Askona mattresses are recognized as one of the best of their kind, they are distinguished by a huge selection and a relatively high price.
If we talk about specific models of mattresses, then you can make a small rating of the best of the best.
Rating of mattresses with independent springs:
- Promtex-orient "Soft Standard Combi". This mattress is based on a block of independent springs. On the one hand, it is hard due to the coconut linen, on the other hand, it is medium soft due to eco-foam. Each spring of this mattress is enclosed in a separate cover, as in other models of this type. The price of such a product is approximately 15,000 rubles.
- Luntek "Cocos 625". This model has 550 springs per sq. m, which determines its better orthopedic properties and the greater weight that the mattress can support (150 kg). The "filling" of the mattress is coconut, which provides firmness to the product and is ideal for people suffering from back problems. Its cost is determined by 24-26,000 rubles.
- Askona "Balance Forma". The orthopedic mattress has 256 springs per sq. m and a limit of 110 kg per berth. At its cost, it is more than affordable - 13-17,000 thousand per unit.
Springless models rating:
- Dreamline "Classic Roll Slim". The third place is given to the model with a thickness of 10 cm of medium hardness. The mattress is compact and mobile - it is easy to roll up and hide in the closet or use it fully every day. The model is based on synthetic latex - a safe, hypoallergenic material that is incredibly durable and practical to use. The price of such a mattress is about 5-6,000 rubles.
- Askona "Trend Roll". The mattress has an average firmness and a maximum load of 110 kg per berth. Inside it is a special foam that perfectly supports the spine during sleep and lasts a long time even with daily use. Price - 8-10,000 rubles.
- Ormatek "Flex Standart". This mattress has earned the first place in the rating. Inside it is artificial latex - a material that is not afraid of stress, or diseases of the back and spine. It has a high level of rigidity and is a monolithic model, that is, it does not have layers like a cake. The cost of such a product is 13-14,000 rubles.
Spring mattress rating:
- Ormatek "Larda". A mattress with a block of dependent springs of medium hardness is distinguished by an affordable price and excellent quality - about 10,000 rubles and 105 kg of load on a berth.
- Promteks-Orient "Rest Standard". The small diameter of the dependent springs ensures the correct uniform load on the spine. Polyurethane foam is used as a filler - a durable, hard and wear-resistant material. Its price is determined from 9,500 to 12,500 rubles, depending on the size of the berth.
- Askona "Balance Extra". The mattress with Bonnel springs of high rigidity can withstand a load of up to 110 kg per bed. In its "filling" - polyurethane foam, outside - a dense jacquard cover. The cost of the product is 9,000-17,000 rubles.
Mattresses Askonaare perhaps the most famous players on the market, and there is a huge amount of reviews about them. The buyers were divided into two camps: some are very happy with the purchase, the other are not. It is difficult to find indifferent among users, since these mattresses either completely suit, or simply disappointed their owners.
Most of the reviews about Askona mattresses are positive: buyers appreciate the varied selection, wide size range, the availability of extremely high models and special ones that can withstand a lot of weight. The products are ideal in their design and incredibly durable, comfortable, practical and simply useful. Among the disadvantages, buyers note a high price, sometimes unreasonable. They note that you can easily find their counterpart at a reasonable cost, without overpaying for the brand and its innovations.
Mattresses Ormatek Is another leader chosen by demanding buyers. They note more affordable cost and a large selection from standard to non-standard models. Buyers note that mattresses of this brand gave them a full sleep, that they are comfortable, practical and affordable - you can buy them at any furniture center. Of the minuses - an artificial filler in budget models, which over time begins to fail and lose its orthopedic properties.
There are also positive reviews about premium mattresses, for example, about the model Babysleep "Buona Cotton" … It justifies its high cost due to its orthopedic properties and filler, which plays a key role.
For information on how to choose the size of the mattress, see the next video.