Decorating plays a huge role in the ambience of a room. Many items, especially in modern styles, are used not only as decorative elements, but also have a functional background. As a rule, such things are lamps of various shapes and sizes. On the basis of spacious and small rooms, sconces are often used. These are compact and beautiful lighting fixtures that can decorate the room and make the interior more expressive. Later in the article, we will talk about using sconces in the interior of the living room, bedroom and other rooms.
A sconce is a decoratively designed source of artificial lighting that is attached to the wall. It fills a specific area of the room with diffused light. Given the variety of interior styles, the modern market offers a huge selection of stylish and extraordinary sconces made of various materials.
What should you consider before buying?
Before you go to the store for a new and fashionable sconce or make a purchase over the Internet, you need to accurately determine some of the criteria:
- Accommodation… You need to know exactly in which room the lamp will be installed. The appearance of the object and its size depend on this.
- Style… The sconce must be chosen based on the style of the interior and its rules.
- amount… The luminaire model depends on the number of sconces in the room. The room can be installed as one device, or several.
- Location… For rooms in which there is a lack of sunlight, it is recommended to choose models with transparent shades. They will do better with the main function - lighting.
- Material… Depending on temperature, humidity and other indicators, it is necessary to choose the material of the lamp. Metal sconces are not suitable for rooms with high humidity.
- purpose… The role of the luminaire (lighting a specific item or a reading lamp) influences the size and type of sconce.
Experts distinguish 3 main types of sconces:
- The first is a model with a shade of various shapes, most often a geometric figure. The color of the lamp can be varied. As a material for the shade, glass is used, matte or in beige shades. These lamps are ideal for bathrooms and hallways.
- The second type is decorative options. They can be decorated with patterns and lights. The bracket with which the item is attached has an exquisite shape. Some models are gilded. These are models for bedroom living rooms in classic styles.
- The next variety is in the form of a table lamp that is mounted on the wall. Due to the design feature, the light beam can be directed in a certain direction.
These are general provisions that are used when choosing the design of residential and non-residential premises. Further in the article we will take a closer look at the topic of sconce placement in various rooms of a house or apartment.
Choice for a specific room
Sconces will be appropriate in all functional areas of the apartment, the main thing is to make the right choice of the device and determine its style.
If there is only one window in the living room and, moreover, this room is located on the north side, then twilight will constantly reign in it. In this case, you need a sufficient number of lighting fixtures. In addition to the central chandelier, sconces are placed in the room, and not in a single quantity. With their help, dark corners of the living room are lightened.In this part of the house, you can install the most original and unusual models. Don't forget about style and rules.
The main purpose of the room is to receive guests. Sconces installed next to armchairs or sofas will create a cozy and light atmosphere for conversation and pleasant pastime. The most common placement options are: near a fireplace or a mirror, next to a sofa, armchairs and a sofa, on the sides of doors. The placement level depends on the height of the ceilings.
The sconces in the hall also illuminate interior items that the owner of the house wants to highlight. A room decorated in a classic style can be fitted with many decorations and additions.
Most often, in the bedroom, a sconce plays the role of a beautiful and comfortable night light. In this case, the lamps are mounted on the wall on both sides of the bed, if we are talking about a double model, or on one side, if the bed or sofa is designed for one person. If a small dressing or coffee table is installed in the room, a set of a pair of lighting fixtures will look stylish next to it.
Against the background of light wall decoration, models made of black glass or forged models made of dark metal will look exquisite.
Also, on the basis of the bedroom, you can use the following accommodation options:
- over the head of the bed;
- near the mirror;
- next to the chairs.
Soft and diffused light is ideal for a soft, intimate, romantic and soothing atmosphere in the bedroom.
Wall sconces are also installed in the bathroom. The most popular placement of lamps is on the mirror or on both sides of it, if the size of the room allows. When choosing a lighting fixture, keep in mind that it will be installed in a room with high temperature and humidity. The sconce will instantly create a certain zoning in the room. This is useful, especially if the apartment has a combined bathroom.
Fashionable sconces will decorate the interior in the bathroom, making it more elegant and expressive, because on the territory of the bathroom it is rarely possible to roam around and create amazing decor. In addition, light visually increases the size of the room. Mirror lights will definitely come in handy when applying or removing makeup, shaving or creating a hair style.
There are rarely windows in the hallway, so this part of the house needs a sufficient number of lighting fixtures. Compact sconces are ideal for decorating and lighting a hallway or corridor. The original models will not only fulfill their main purpose, but also add a touch of chic to the overall decor.
If there are paintings or photographs in the above area, it is recommended to install lamps near them to emphasize. Sconces will fill the empty walls, freeing the interior from "holes".
Wall lamps in the kitchen are installed next to the work area and dining table. They are essential in creating a comfortable atmosphere. As a rule, kitchen models are small in size and are not loaded with a large number of decorative elements.
Consider the typical rules for choosing a sconce to match the style of the interior.
- Hi-tech and Minimalism. Simple geometric shapes, compact dimensions. No frills and decorations.
- Classics (Baroque, Rococo). Exquisite models, with pendants, stones and other decorations. Sconces can be in the form of candelabra and gilded elements.
- Provence… Neat models made in soft pastel colors. Textiles can be used as material.
- Loft… Lamps for this style are made of glass and metal. Outwardly, they resemble lighting fixtures that illuminate warehouses and factories.
- Art Deco. Stylish and sophisticated models that suit classic interiors.
- Country… Sconces can have wooden and fabric elements. Reindeer-shaped lamps fit perfectly into the interior.
Few people understand the choice of style.This is a complex and voluminous subject. To help shoppers sort through the range of wall lights, many online retailers sort products according to their interior style. Also, before buying, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the decor rules in one direction or another.
Most often, sconces are used to illuminate a specific object in a room, most often they are pieces of furniture or mirrors, but there are other areas of use. With their help, designers create various compositions. If statues, paintings and other elements are installed in the room, sconces illuminate these objects, making them stand out from the general background. Luminaires of this type can be installed in various areas in the apartment, be it the kitchen, bathroom or hall.
If you want to decorate the room with an amazing and original sconce, pay attention to the designer lamp models. Interior appliances are not cheap, but they are unique and unusual. Such options are more like art objects. You won't be able to buy them in simple stores, only through specialized sites. Designer sconces attract attention with amazing shape and beauty, which cannot be compared to factory models.
It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with a number of installation tips before attaching lighting fixtures:
- The optimum height for the sconces is 2 meters. In this case, the light from the lamp will cover a large area.
- For soft and dim light, it is recommended to install the device near the floor. This technique will look especially colorful in the bedroom.
- In spacious rooms, you can install lamps almost under the ceiling. As a result, the room will be decorated with an original light pattern. This option is perfect for a room with a suspended glossy ceiling. The smooth surface will reflect the light, filling the room with artificial rays.
- If you intend to install several appliances in one room, mark their location on the wall in advance.
- It is better to install the lamps in the corridors at the same level, in a row. This will help to visually enlarge the narrow space.
How to install a sconce, see the next video.