The decoration of any window is curtains, tulle and curtains. In the modern world, fashion trends in window decoration quickly replace each other, but nevertheless, you always want to have a trendy interior at home. In this article, you will learn in detail everything about modern curtains and their application.
To choose the right curtains, you need to know their classification and options, where it is most appropriate to apply them. For any room, it is necessary to take into account its specifics and features, so that the curtains can emphasize the individual style and taste of the owner. There are a huge number of types of curtains, but only a few of them are used most often.
The classics will never become outdated and will always be in fashion, only accompanying elements can change. These curtains look like a combination of two completely different fabrics. Light transparent tulle is usually used for the bottom layer. For the top, already denser fabrics are used, which, when fully closed, protect from light
Nowadays, lambrequins are usually added to classic curtains, but in the 21st century, classics are most often used without them. Curtains without lambrequins are suitable for both the bedroom and the living room or study.
After the classic framing of the windows, Italian curtains should be noted. These curtains are special in that they do not extend completely at the sides. In order to assemble them, rings and a cord must be attached to the wall, which will collect the curtains diagonally and secure them. It is most relevant to use the Italian style of curtains in the bedroom, since such a design of the windows will give the room an atmosphere of romance and grace
Roller blinds are being used more and more often. They look like a straight piece of fabric, which is wound up due to the fixed base in the form of a roller. Especially with roller blinds you cannot experiment, but they perfectly fulfill the practical purpose of curtains - they protect from light
Crossed curtains are very popular and should consist only of sheer fabric. The fabric is firmly fixed on the rail above the window without the ability to move it, the corners of the fabrics are crossed on opposite sides of the window. The use of a transparent material is necessary in order not to completely block the access of light. Sunlight passing through the transparent fabric creates soft, subdued lighting in the room. This option will fit well into the living room or bedroom
You can not bypass the side and blinds… They have a huge number of models, there are both horizontal and vertical. Previously, blinds were used only in office premises, but now the modernized options look appropriate at home. The blinds can be assembled both upward (horizontal) and sideways (vertical), and thanks to the variety of materials they can fit into absolutely any interior
Alas, in order to choose the perfect curtains, it is not enough to know what they are, but you also need to take into account fashion trends. Leaving in the past the style of baroque, rococo or gothic, now the place on the throne in the world of fashion is rightfully occupied by minimalism. The style consists of brevity, as simple and straight lines as possible.
As mentioned earlier, the classics will be fashionable at all times. At the moment, this style is one of the most relevant due to its clear straight lines.For the bottom layer of curtains, a transparent or translucent fabric of white or pastel shades is used, since these colors will look harmoniously in any design solution. For the top layer, thick fabric with a fashionable, discreet print is preferable.
Geometric patterns are at their peak this season.… To give the room a certain zest for thick curtains, you should choose a bright color, which can become an accent or even the center of the composition in the room. In addition to geometry, a natural thematic pattern is used.
Asymmetric curtains are also in great demand. They can reveal all the personality of the owner of the house and emphasize his taste. Such curtains can be of several types. In the first case, the fabric frames the window on both sides, but one of the curtains should be shorter than the second. In the second case, you can do with a curtain on only one side of the window, leaving the other half intriguingly open.
If we talk about asymmetry in color, then thanks to modern trends, you can roam around and come up with your own original solution.… And to make it easier to decide, the possible options for decorating the window space are described below:
- The use of two different colors that will play in contrast. For example, hang a red cloth on one side and a blue one on the other;
- When decorating a window only on one side, you can also use two different colors;
- On the first side, use a curtain with an interesting and complex print, on the second side a plain one.
The next option for a fashionable window design is wide transparent curtains that capture not only the window, but also part of the wall… You can even hang them the full length of the wall. These curtains will not interfere with the penetration of light into the room and create a cute, cozy atmosphere. Due to the lightness and transparency of the material, such window and wall decoration will visually increase the dimensions of the room. You can choose a tulle of absolutely any color, but preferably without a pattern, since it can load the room with unnecessary details.
For those who want to somehow visually enlarge a small room, in addition to transparent curtains, short ones are also suitable. They are mounted on top and cover only part of the window, which is why there is even more light in the room.
Roller blinds will be the most minimalistic design solution in the room. As a rule, they are as long as a window and make it possible to adjust the level of light. You can either roll them up completely, exposing the entire window, or leave them in the middle or in any other place you want.
There are no restrictions in the selection of color and material. Whether with a pattern or without, roller blinds, due to their simple rectangular shape, will always remain appropriate. The advantage of such curtains is also easy care for them.
Curtains can serve not only for their intended purpose and for an aesthetic appearance, but also to hide some of the flaws in the finish. This should be done not only beautifully, but also fashionably. Designers did their best and gave new ideas to consumers.
In addition to dense fabric together with thin tulle, there are other suitable options - the use of lambrequins. Nowadays, they are as simplified and laconic as possible. The shape is dominated by a rectangular appearance, which visually does not clutter up the space, as it was with the old lambrequins, which consisted of many folds. New-fashioned lambrequins look like a thin strip at the top of the window, it neatly frames it and the curtains and does not "eat up" the space.
In addition to the updated lambrequins, in the wake of popularity, the design decision to combine different types of curtains is drifting. So, you can combine classics and roller blinds. Straight classic draperies will only emphasize the austere simplicity of roller blinds. You can combine not only different styles, but also different colors, fabrics and textures.
For those wishing to increase the height of the room, designers suggest using straight vertical curtains from ceiling to floor. It is important that there is no gap between the fabric and the floor; it is necessary to take into account that the drapery should lie a little on the floor, creating beautiful folds. It is better to use not one solid curtain, but several thin pieces of fabric. Such curtains will not only raise the ceiling up and lower the floor, but also visually make the room wider.
Among the new products are the curtains on the eyelets. These are metal rings threaded into the holes of the curtains themselves. They are simply strung on a metal pipe above the window; additional fasteners are not required. Such curtains play a decorative role and most often they can be found in a single color. But everything is up to the decorator, so you can hang a curtain or fabric with a pattern on the eyelets.
Roman curtains are also in demand, they look like solid rectangular fabrics. When going up and fully assembled, they take the form of horizontal folds. These curtains comply with all the principles of minimalism.
New products include organza curtains with photo printing. This is where the discord is for imagination, because you can print absolutely any drawing that will become an accent. And thanks to the airiness of organza, such curtains will not interrupt the main design of the room.
The texture and color of fabrics play an important role in creating a unique atmosphere in the room. In the modern world, fabric manufacturers have taken great care to ensure that the consumer can choose from hundreds of types of material. There is one rule for the selection of curtains - the fabric should be of high quality and well draped so that beautiful folds are obtained, and not a wrinkled pile of rags.
There are completely different materials on the market: organza, cotton, silk, linen, wool, chintz, velor, etc. Today, few people use taffeta and natural silk because of its cost, they were replaced by polyester and organza. All fabrics have their own special properties:
- Linen. Ideal for use in blackout curtains to protect from light. By its structure, it is durable and is not afraid of the destructive effects of sunlight, it also does not fade. It has a very interesting and recognizable texture. Looks good on a window without using a lining. Although linen is wrinkled, it only gives it an elegant casualness and does not look like a cheap fabric. Before washing, it is advisable to carry out a steam treatment procedure so that in the future the material does not sit down during washing;
- Polycotton. The combination of natural cotton and polyester, since ordinary cotton is not so convenient for creating curtains, quickly fade in the sun. Polycotton in this regard is a very “friendly” fabric and is much cheaper than cotton itself;
- Wool or silk. You can use it, but it is not recommended to do so. These fabrics are very capricious, very quickly deteriorate from the sun and external influences, such as room temperature and humidity. It is almost impossible to use them without lining. In addition, silk must be constantly looked after and it must be done correctly, with anxious attitude to the expensive material;
- Viscose. Suitable for imitation of silk, as it is similar to the touch. The fabric is obtained chemically from natural fibers, therefore it is less capricious. But it is also recommended to use it with a lining. The cost is inferior to silk, which appeals to consumers;
- Polyester. This material is chemically created and is very popular for curtains. It is lightweight, strong, durable, easy to care for, and is not afraid of sunlight. To update the appearance and give the curtains a pristine freshness, it is enough to wash the polyester fabric in the washing machine. It is cheaper than all the fabrics described above, which is a huge advantage;
- There is a special type of fabric called Blackout for complete protection from light. The technology has appeared relatively recently, but has already gained popularity, since it does not even allow ultraviolet rays to pass through. Previously, blackout was used as a lining, but nowadays it can work individually;
- Organza… This fabric is made by twisting silk, rayon or polyester fibers. The organza itself is transparent, elastic and very beautiful. It can be both matte and shiny. In both cases, organza curtains look simply gorgeous.
You can choose any fabric, the main thing is to be sure of its quality, because as you know, a stingy person pays twice. Do not be stingy to buy more expensive fabric from trusted manufacturers, because such curtains will last longer and will delight the eye for more than one year.
Fabrics can be plain, striped, checkered, or any other pattern that matches modern interiors. Well, as for the flowers themselves, now all natural shades of natural origin are in trend:
- Sky blue - this shade evokes associations with a clear summer sky, so the presence of blue curtains in the room will cause calm and pacification;
- Yellow in itself an active color, cheerful and invigorating. It can dispel the general atmosphere in the room and give positive. Yellow curtains are perfect for rooms with windows facing the north side, they brighten up the lack of light. But it is not recommended to use it in the bedroom, since the color affects the emotional state of a person and can cause unpleasant consequences;
- Shades of green soothe and energize. The green color spectrum is one of the most pleasing to the human eye. Green curtains will add freshness to the room and will never put pressure on the psyche;
- Brown color looks noble and evokes associations with stability and reliability. When choosing a suitable shade for curtains, it should be borne in mind that such a window design will not be a bright accent, but can very well become a background. Brown is used by people who need peace and constant rest, this color will not strain and irritate the eyes.
- In addition to natural shades, pastel shades of beige, gray and olive are also in trend. It may seem that light curtains are boring and featureless, but for such cases, bright details or prints can be used. The so-called watercolor curtains have become very fashionable. The drawing itself is watercolor, it is made according to the canons of this technique, namely, light, blurred and without flaunting colors.
Stylish ideas in the interior
Only certain solutions are suitable for each room. So, it is better not to hang curtains in the classic style in the kitchen, and silk material will not work on the balcony.
Classic curtains made of two curtains fit perfectly into the bedroom - sheer tulle for daytime use and thick curtains for a sound sleep. You can also use Roman blinds, they will be harmoniously complemented by muslin.
If you want some experiments, then it would be appropriate to create a combination of roller blinds and curtains. Since roller blinds are most often made dense using Blackout technology, in this case they will protect from light and prying eyes.
It is not worth using bright flashy colors for the bedroom, after all, in this room a person falls asleep and wakes up. It is a good idea to choose curtains in deep, rich colors, such as dark purple or brown. A calm beige or olive color is also suitable for this room.
In the room for children, you can pick up curtains in more cheerful colors. Curtains with a drawing of cartoon characters will be relevant for the nursery. Young princesses will love curtains with hearts, bears or Disney characters. For young men, curtains with the image of ships or cars are more suitable.
It is undesirable to decorate windows in the dining room or in the kitchen with heavy draperies or curtains on the floor; roller, Roman and short curtains will be relevant. These types of curtains will not interfere with the use of the room, they are easy to clean and do not interfere with the penetration of light.
For an apartment with a balcony on the ground floor, it is recommended to use natural dense fabrics to protect privacy from prying eyes. Since roller blinds are universal, they can be used here as well. An interesting solution would be to use wooden blinds or bamboo curtains.
In a studio apartment, it is necessary to select curtains that visually increase the space. Therefore, for a small house that combines both a living room, a bedroom and a kitchen, you should choose curtains with several functions. Double-layer curtains made of thick and transparent fabric are suitable, which will go beyond the window to enlarge the room.
If you want something extravagant, then the curtains in the hallway will be the most extraordinary solution. Curtains should be used instead of doors, muslin and transparent curtains will add airiness and lightness to the whole apartment. This option is also suitable for studios for dividing space.
When decorating windows with curtains in a minimalist style, you can be sure that this style will remain in trend for a long time.
You can find more tips on choosing curtains in the video below.