Nowadays, they have gained great popularity single mattresses … The demand for them is no less than for their double counterparts. All this is due to the mass of advantages that they have.
Features of the
A single mattress has a number of distinctive features compared to a double mattress. First of all, it is, of course, its size. They are small, very compact and handy. This is undoubtedly a very good advantage, especially for small rooms. Such a mattress for a single bed will perfectly fit into a children's room.
The second advantage is a very favorable price. Due to its simple design, small size and minimal amount of materials used in production, a single mattress is a very profitable purchase. At the same time, it is of very high quality and is no worse for sleep and its comfort.
A good solution would be to buy a single mattress for guests: sooner or later such a thing will come in handy in every home.
Single mattresses as well as double mattresses come in a variety of sizes. Today the furniture market offers a wide variety of sizes for every taste and color. We will now list the most basic ones.
Naturally, such mattresses will differ in their small size, since they are intended for rest and sleep for only one person. However, people are different, and their weight, height and just preferences also differ from each other. Therefore, there is no single standard size for a single mattress. The most basic ones are 80 x 190 cm, 90 x 200 cm, 80 x 200 cm, and also 90 x 190 cm.
These are far from all types of sizes existing on the market at the moment. Even the most unusual options can be found and purchased in shops and factories. Some of the smallest sizes in width are sizes such as 70 x 186 cm, 70 x 190 cm, 70 x 195 cm, 70 x 200 cm, 75 x 180 cm. 70 cm is the minimum width for a mattress, but sometimes you can find and models with dimensions of 60 x 190 cm. Such products are especially suitable for children. Due to their compactness, these mattresses have the best value among all.
The next type is not very different from the previous one, only 10 cm wider. This category includes mattresses with the following dimensions: 80 x 140 cm and 80 x 170 cm (unusual sizes), 80 x 180 cm, 80 x 186 cm and 80 x 185 cm, 80 x 190 cm (standard size), 80 x 195 cm, 80 x 200 cm (also standard). Such products are also suitable for people of fragile constitution.
The following dimensions are also considered small: 85 x 200 cm, 90 x 160 cm, 90 x 180 cm, 90 x 185 cm and 90 x 186 cm, 90 x 190 cm, 90 x 195 cm and 90 x 200 cm. They are already considered relatively average.
The next category is oversized mattresses. These include 100 x 186 cm, 100 x 190 cm, 100 x 195, 100 x 190 cm and 100 x 200 cm. In rare cases, you can find options and more, for example, such as 120 x 190 cm.
A mattress is comfortable for a person only if it is ideally matched to the length and width of the bed on which it is located. Otherwise, sleep and rest will only provide discomfort. Therefore, the choice of the size of such a purchase should be taken as seriously as possible. On the other hand, a single bedroom has an advantage here, because when choosing, you will need to take into account the opinion of only one person, and not two at once.
The advantage of a single mattress over a double mattress is its light weight. But in this category, there are a variety of types of mattresses - from very light and easy to transport to almost unbearable. Below is described what this parameter of a single mattress depends on.
First of all, the weight depends on the type of mattress, namely on whether there is a spring block in its design or not. On average, a spring mattress will weigh 5 kilograms per square meter more than a non-spring mattress. Therefore, if the main thing in buying is light weight, you should give preference to the springless type. In addition, the very number of such blocks adds severity, which is obvious. In the manufacture of such products, from one to three blocks of springs are used
Another factor that determines the weight of a mattress is, of course, its thickness. It can be very different for mattresses: from 10 to 40 centimeters, which is four times more. Also, in the production of some models, not one, but two, three or more layers of "filling" are used, that is, filler
At the same time, much depends on the filler itself, and specifically on its quality. Unfortunately, fillers made from natural materials such as latex or coconut tend to weigh a little more than artificial ones. These include polyurethane, memorix, artificial latex. It is up to the buyer to choose which is preferable - weight or quality.
Finally, the last factor is the rigidity of the product. Naturally, models of increased rigidity, made, for example, from coconut fiber, weigh significantly more than their soft counterparts. Usually the lightest are orthopedic soft mattresses, the main advantage of which is that they make sleep and rest very comfortable and make the sleeping person feel like they are on a soft "cloud"
In conclusion, it should be noted that the weight of a typical single mattress is 15 kilograms. There are models that are both heavier and lighter (less than 10 centimeters). The lightest are orthopedic mattresses, the heaviest are those made from coconut fiber.
Who are they for?
Single mattresses are designed for a wide variety of weight categories of users. Each mattress is designed for its own individual load size, and this is especially true for mattresses for one person. If a person weighs 100 kilograms, and the product is designed for only 60 kilograms, then, naturally, one should not expect that it will last a long time and will retain its quality. Therefore, you should always carefully read the instructions before buying.
For example, the vast majority of orthopedic mattresses are designed for people weighing up to 100-120 kilograms. People with a weight less than this usually should not think too much about such things, but not all models are suitable for overweight people.
Many mattress manufacturers use various techniques to reinforce their products in order to increase the weight they can support. For example, constructions are made with a large number of springs in blocks. Also, some manufacturers use more rigid materials and fillers in the production of overweight mattresses. Therefore, now it is not so difficult to find mattresses for people weighing from 120 to 180 (!) Kilograms.
As for people with a particularly fragile physique (for example, young girls), as well as children and adolescents, it would be better for them to purchase single-layer mattresses, or, for example, models with less rigid fillers, as well as soft orthopedic models. Such products are ideal for this type of people.
In the production of mattresses, a huge variety of materials of very different rigidity, structure and quality are used. Below we will try to list all of the most common in furniture production at the moment.
The first material to be discussed is coconut coir. The name may not be familiar to everyone, but nevertheless, this material is quite common in furniture production. Coconut coir is the interwoven fiber of the coconut tree that is impregnated with natural latex. This material is one of the most environmentally friendly of all
Coconut coir has a number of special advantages due to which it has become so widespread in the production of single-bed mattresses. These include durability, high hygiene, good ventilation and moisture resistance. Moreover, coconut coir has properties such as anti-allergenicity and resistance to various temperatures and changes in temperature. This is a very durable material, products from which will last a very, very long time and will remain of high quality for a long time.
Coira is used most often in the manufacture of the most rigid types of mattresses.
Another natural material is latex. It is created from the sap of the Hevea tree, also known as the rubber tree. Its main differences from all other materials are elasticity and long service life. Latex is an excellent antiseptic. In addition, it is a hypoallergenic, hygienic material, resistant to any weather and any temperature
In terms of its qualities, latex is similar to coconut coir, it also has good ventilation and resistance to moisture. Buying a mattress made of this type of material guarantees good quality and a very long service life. Certain types of latex material are also worth mentioning. The first of these is the so-called latex monolith. Its difference is that its high elasticity allows it to adapt to the anatomical features of each individual. The second is seven-zonal latex. It is also a natural material with increased resilience and durability. Latex foam made from this material is hypoallergenic and very hygienic.
- The next material is strutofiber. In its manufacture, seaweed is used. It is a high volume material. It is based on wool, that is, it is intertwined fibrous threads that look like a spring. Thanks to this, the strutofiber is highly resistant and retains its own shape well for a long time. This type of material also has its advantages. These include softness, breathability and long-term warmth. This material is very safe as it does not burn, it also does not absorb any unpleasant odors and is resistant to moisture. It is easy to look after him.
- The next material worth mentioning despite its low prevalence is horsehair. From the name it is clear that it is obtained from a horse's mane. In composition and quality, it resembles wool and has all the advantages of this material, such as, for example, the ability to retain heat. Unlike wool, horsehair is slightly stiffer and has slightly different orthopedic properties.
- Environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic material is polyurethane foam. In its composition there are no toxic substances, it is sufficiently resistant to moisture, elastic. Polyurethane foam is able to withstand very strong weight loads, while the mattress made from it will be very soft and pleasant to the touch, comfortable. Just like latex, it is very flexible.
- Sintepon is a very light and at the same time high-volume material. Its advantages are that it is able to maintain softness and comfort throughout its entire service life. It is non-allergenic and non-toxic.
- Natural wool is a material of animal origin, known, perhaps, to absolutely everyone. It is also used in the manufacture of single-bed mattresses, namely in the creation of the "filling". Wool filler always turns out to be soft, comfortable and comfortable.
- For lovers of environmentally friendly products, thermopressed felt is perfect. It is made from cotton and wool fibers. The use of this material significantly improves the quality and service life of products.
- Spandbond is a non-woven fabric made from synthetic fabric. It is hygroscopic and has a very high density. All this helps to give the mattress maximum strength and rigidity.
- A special type of fabric - jacquard, has a special weave of threads. It increases the wear resistance of a product made of this material and does not allow it to wear out quickly. For the manufacture of jacquard, 100% natural cotton is always used, which gives the mattress made of this material strength and makes the service life as long as possible. Mattresses are usually covered with jacquard, making them stronger, and the structure more stable.
- A separate type of jacquard is double jacquard. It differs from the usual one in that it has two layers instead of one. Thanks to the additional layer, the mattress made of it has the ability to better ventilate in two directions: in the transverse and longitudinal. Of the advantages of double jacquard, one can note good strength, as well as a long service life.
- One of the newest types of fabric is polycotton. It has been designed in accordance with the latest requirements of the furniture market. Products and furniture, including mattresses made of this material, have a lower hygroscopicity and air permeability, which, of course, is a disadvantage. Nevertheless, the advantage of polycotton is that after both the first and second wash it does not "sit down" and does not lose its original appearance, that is, it is very easy and simple to care for it, which is important for any furniture.
- The material with the unusual name holofiber is a hollow fibrous fabric, the weaving of which looks like a spring. Due to its special structure, holofiber helps a product made of this material not to lose its original shape for a very long time and, if deformed, can be easily restored. This material is environmentally friendly, it does not contain any toxins, is not flammable and does not absorb odors, which sometimes causes great discomfort during sleep and rest.
- The beautiful French word "knitwear" refers to a knitted fabric made of many threads with the help of loops, which are intertwined with each other. The knitwear has good stretchability, thereby making the mattress cover more elastic.
Review of popular manufacturers
The most popular manufacturers of single mattresses today are companies such as Askona, Ormatek, Toris, Consul, Matramax, Vegas and many others. Askona - one of the most popular of its kind. She received her recognition due to natural materials such as coconut board, special Askona foam, as well as special spring blocks. Askona mattresses have a huge orthopedic effect.
Confident second place is taken by the firm Ormatek … A distinctive feature of this company is the well-established production of spring blocks with an individual design. Ormatek springs are used by most other manufacturers in their single mattresses.
Slightly less popular, but also noteworthy firms are Consul and Toris … They are engaged in the production of not only high-quality and comfortable mattresses, but also sofas, beech beds. Conveniently, they can buy both a bed and a mattress that perfectly matches it.
Also popular in Russia and the CIS countries and foreign companies. These include Serta, Simmons and Sealy … A brand such as Sleepeezee … These are not at all lagging behind domestic firms, producing a huge number of high-quality, comfortable and comfortable mattresses for every color and taste.
How to choose the right one?
The choice of a single mattress should always be approached with great care. Healthy sleep, comfort and quality of rest in general depend on it. These factors have a very strong impact on the productivity of our lives.
- First of all, you need to focus on the size of the bed for which the mattress is purchased. They must match perfectly, because otherwise sleep and rest will not bring any comfort, but only inconvenience.
- It is also necessary to focus on the weight category of the person to whom the product is purchased. Most mattresses are designed for people weighing up to 100-120 kilograms, but it is imperative to clarify the weight category of each individual model.
- Special attention should be paid to the material from which the mattress is made. It must be hypoallergenic, non-toxic, hygienic. If the buyer does not want to worry too much about washing the mattress, you need to choose the material that is easy to clean.
- It is also necessary to determine the rigidity of the product. It must correspond to the weight category of a person, his anatomical features. People with problems with the musculoskeletal system should give preference to orthopedic types of mattresses. However, orthopedic models will suit everyone. The main thing is to choose the desired softness or hardness of the product, because it depends on this whether the sleep will be healthy and comfortable or not.
Finally, it is worth choosing a suitable mattress manufacturer. Each of them has its own individual advantages and disadvantages, and each buyer can find something different on the market in any price category
In conclusion, I would like to say that single mattresses are products with their own advantages and disadvantages, the choice of which should always be treated with special care and foresight.
For information on how to choose a good mattress, see this video.