In order to bring a touch of grace to the interior, many experts recommend focusing on lighting. Chandeliers are not only the familiar light that illuminates the room, but also an excellent decor element. Such special and at the same time laconic models of Tiffany style chandeliers will help to turn any ceiling into a real work of design art. You will learn how Tiffany chandeliers are made, what features and possibilities they have in the interior, by reading the further information.
A bit of history
Such an unusual and luxurious stained glass style appeared at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries in America. Its founder is an artist and designer from the aristocratic family Louis Comfort Tiffany. This world famous man succeeded in many of his endeavors, but he devoted most of his time to art and creation. Tiffany chandeliers are considered one of his most important achievements, which today enjoys great success and popularity all over the world.
They are made using a special patented technique of creating and casting stained glass and obtaining colored mosaics. Many people often personify the name "Tiffany" exclusively with the famous jewelry house, and only then with chandeliers.
But everything is quite simple here, and that is why many are confused: Louis Tiffany's father just founded the very jewelry company, whose business his son also did not abandon, despite his own interesting discoveries and hobbies.
Today, in this Tiffany mosaic and stained glass technique, you can find the design of many public buildings, mainly abroad, in our country, various decorative chandeliers are most popular, although the decoration of windows with the famous mosaic is no exception.
It is also very important to know that the Tiffany chandelier style is always associated with the modern style, but the American style is modern. In this style of interior design, stained glass lighting fixtures always look the most advantageous.
The traditional stained glass technique was to create a variety of colored pieces on the base surface of the product, which ultimately looked like a single pattern or ornament. The process of manufacturing lighting devices also consisted in the fact that the colored pieces were soldered using a metal frame.
Features of the
Any model of a stained glass ceiling chandelier, sconce or lamp in the Tiffany style is considered unique and inimitable, and some models are even called one of a kind.
Thanks to the centuries-old history, the famous models of chandeliers and lamps from the brand are still considered rare and expensive, some of which are in the hands of collectors.
In the modern world, using the stained glass technology of the founder of the Tiffany style, many similar and improved models of lighting fixtures are produced, which from year to year are becoming more popular and in demand among the most diverse segments of the population. More expensive, exclusive models made of durable and high-quality glass, handmade abroad, can decently hit the pocket of buyers.
However, many manufacturers also have more budgetary models, which, of course, are not made in classical technology, but at the same time they can be very similar to the originals.
Historic models of the brand can be found at auctions, while modern pieces can be purchased in high-end lighting stores. But a variety of inexpensive copies are sold at every turn. Of course, if you are looking for a genuine quality that does not look like a Chinese fake, it is best to give preference to models made of expensive materials using the original stained glass technique.
The main features of modern Tiffany chandeliers include the following:
- Classic stained glass can be made with all kinds of effects. These include matte details and various other advanced additions.
- Today stained glass technique is skillfully combined with hand painting on glass and fusing. Such an unusual word means a fairly new technique for creating a stained glass window, which was actively used in the manufacture of devices in this style. Glass elements are sintered by fusing, resulting in a very unusual pattern, without the need for a metal frame.
- Modern unusual shapes of shades and other details on chandeliers and lamps can be decorated with forged details and other elements, for example, from gilding.
- In the modern world, a variety of chandelier models are produced. Among the rich assortment you can find not only suspended, but also built-in models for the ceiling.
Lighting products made in the Tiffany style are very popular not only among amateurs, but also among interior designers, which note the following positive aspects when choosing models of this type:
- Tiffany chandeliers, if we talk about original models, will last for many years. For some, they will even become a family heirloom that will be inherited.
- With proper and high-quality care, such products will meet all expectations, and the service life will be countless, you just need to change the bulbs.
- Many designers and decorators choose chandeliers of this style because of their originality and practicality.
- Contrasting stained glass models always play up favorably on any interior, therefore bright colors on the chandelier can make it a highlight of any room in the house as never before.
- To complete the Tiffany style, you can complement the chandelier with lamps in the same stained glass technique. They will be perfectly combined with each other and will be excellent decorative elements.
To emphasize all the beauty of the stained-glass window on the chandelier, many experts recommend purchasing halogen or fluorescent lamps that perfectly diffuse light through a colored flow.
When buying a Tiffany chandelier, it is better to choose it not on the website, but directly in the store. Thus, you will surely choose the model you need, you can take a closer look at it and clarify all the information you are interested in - from the country of manufacture to the materials used.
The original stained-glass window covering in the Tiffany style is considered unrepeatable, in addition, even now, some models are created in single copies. Next, we propose to consider the main models of Tiffany chandeliers:
- A fairly wide conical shade can be framed around the edges with decorative bricks. Luxurious and bright poppies and their leaves can be used as a stained glass pattern. This whole picture will be laid out of luxurious pieces of colored glass. This model was named Poppies.
- Model "Narcissus" in the Tiffany style, it is most often made in the form of a dome, which is dotted with stained glass flowers. Mostly, yellow, lemon, light green and white colors are used. Such a spring picture always looks fresh and unique.
- The model will look very expensive and unusual "Broom", which is an imitation of a lush tree. Such chandeliers are often suspended. Although the design of the model itself was originally conceived only for small lamps.
Of course, these are just a few of the basic chandelier models. In addition to the classic options, there are also a lot of different combinations and their combinations. In addition, custom-made models with an individual stained-glass pattern are very popular.
Be sure to pay attention to the parrot chandeliers in the stained glass style, they can be an excellent addition to the country apartments. In general, Tiffany lamps and chandeliers can be made in a wide variety of compositions; all that remains is to choose the model you like and install it successfully.
The price of the issue
If you decide to purchase an original model that will look impeccable in the interior, then be prepared that it will be very expensive. Today, many companies offer chandeliers in this style, and their price can range from 5 to 150 thousand rubles. Of course, these price ranges are conditional. There are models and more expensive. But the larger the model and the more painstakingly the craftsmen have worked on it, the more expensive it will cost.
The cost will be based on the materials used, the complexity of the design and manual labor. Of course, Chinese models "a la Tiffany" can be bought very cheap, but they will look the same.
If you nevertheless decide that a Tiffany chandelier is what your home lacks so much, then boldly look for a proven and licensed salon selling chandeliers and lighting equipment. Be careful with online stores, which very often sell fake and low-quality models. The most luxurious models are produced in Europe, for example, excellent examples are often supplied by Italy or Spain.
Place in the interior
Don't be afraid to spice up your kitchen with a Tiffany style chandelier. Most often, stained glass models are hung in the dining area above the table. Of course, the interior must match the future lighting.
The chandeliers themselves belonging to this style belong to the luxury category. Elite stained glass models look most advantageous in spacious living rooms, halls and bedrooms. Workplaces are no exception - an office, but it is best to place lamps there.
To set the tone and mood for the entire interior, it is best to combine dark furniture tones with Tiffany chandeliers. This will create a very interesting and elegant contrast. In addition, all the beauty of a stained glass chandelier can be emphasized by light monochromatic or suspended ceilings.
Also, experts recommend taking into account the following points in the interior:
- For classic interiors, you can choose chandeliers with a floral mosaic design, but at the same time geometrically correct models.
- If you are looking for an Art Nouveau chandelier, Tiffany models with insects such as dragonflies or butterflies and floral motifs are the best option.
- Stained glass models with fruit or vegetable combinations are perfect for Country or Provence style.
If you are not sure that you can independently choose a stained glass chandelier for your home, then it is best to use the services of professionals who will certainly select a worthy option for your design.
A little about leaving
To prevent the chandelier from looking darkened or cloudy, it is enough to occasionally wipe the dust from it with a slightly damp cloth. It is best to work with special textile gloves so as not to leave prints and streaks on the stained glass.
Do not wash the stained glass with harsh cleaning agents; you can use a special glass cleaner or use plain water to remove small dirt. In general, we can say that Tiffany chandeliers are quite unpretentious in maintenance, the main thing is to do everything on time.
You can make a Tiffany style lamp with your own hands. The manufacturing process is shown in the following video.