Coziness in the house is made up of little things. It can be pillows with fun prints, a collection of miniature figurines on a shelf, lovely photos on the wall, or a beautifully designed window opening. Someone prefers laconic modern blinds, but many people still decorate their windows with curtains and tulle. Moreover, tulle is not ordinary, but with decorative elements. Why is it so attractive, what types of patterns are the most popular and how to choose the right tulle with decor for the interior - you will learn about all this from our article.
For the first time, tulle fabric appeared in France in the 15th century, in a city called Tulle. It was originally made from silk threads. The following materials are used in modern tulle production:
All these fabrics have the necessary rigidity and elasticity to maintain the shape and configuration of the cells.
Pros of tulle curtains:
- Lightweight and transparent;
- They do an excellent job of protecting the window from unnecessary attention and at the same time allow you to observe what is happening outside;
- Simple enough to operate and maintain;
- Large selection of colors and textures.
Embroidered tulle is attractive because it can serve as an excellent background for an interior, focus on its details and become a stylish highlight that completes the designer's idea.
Types of images
When choosing curtains with a pattern, you should think about what theme it should be. This will depend on the room in which they will hang, on the general style of the dwelling, on the taste preferences of its inhabitants. If you love nature, pay attention to tulle with butterflies, birds, flowers - roses, poppies, chamomile, orchids, sakura are very popular in this regard. A minimalist style can be complemented by laconic curtains with an abstract geometric print.
Tulle with monograms, curls looks beautiful, this pattern reminds of palaces and medieval castles. For a children's room, you can pick up curtains with a cute print in the form of cars, boats, airplanes, spaceships - for boys; in a flower, with bears, bunnies or kittens - for girls. For lovers of stylized interiors, modern textile manufacturers have come up with such a service as a printed pattern or photo printing - with the help of special pigments, a pattern is applied to the tulle fabric, which can be absolutely anything.
At your request, a photo, a favorite frame from a film, a beautiful landscape or a thematic inscription will be transferred to the curtain.
A few years ago, the most original thing that consumers could count on when choosing window curtains was white tulle with an unpretentious, discreet pattern. Now in specialized stores and on websites you can find everything your heart desires! Colored tulle, tulle with a gradient (transition from one color to another), decorated with rhinestones, embroidered with beads and bugles, beads and ribbons. For embroidery, not only classic colors are used, such as gold, silver, bronze, white and brown, but any colors of the rainbow and even black.
When choosing a colored tulle with a particular print, do not forget that, first of all, it should be in harmony with the general color palette of the room and create the desired background for the interior.
How to choose?
Despite the seeming simplicity, choosing a really suitable tulle is not so easy.Of course, you can always limit yourself to classic white curtains, but after all, everyone wants to give their home a zest and make it different from everyone else's. Therefore, it is worth considering a few tips for choosing the right tulle fabric:
- First, look at which side of the world your windows face. If it's south or southwest, you can feel free to choose curtains with large flowers or other patterns to darken the room a little. For other areas, transparent, light fabrics with a small pattern or no pattern at all are more suitable;
- The choice of tulle begins after the interior design has been developed. Think about how you can decorate the space with curtains. Even if your choice is a plain Italian voile, carefully select the shade and density of the fabric. The combined design of tulle and curtains assumes that their color scheme and pattern do not come into dissonance with each other;
- It would be quite nice to choose tulle with additional decor: lace, muslin, fringe. The fabric itself can also be not just a classic transparent, but shiny, with lurex or inserts of metallized threads. Tulle made of tulle embroidered with lace patterns looks very delicate;
- So that the thin fabric of the curtain keeps its shape and does not gather in unnecessary folds, such a wonderful thing was invented as a weighting agent. It is a cord running along the bottom of the curtain with lead balls sewn inside. Tulle with such piping always remains even and smooth. Sometimes, so that the weighting agent does not catch the eye, the tulle is additionally decorated with a wide horizontal stripe or several narrow stripes located below;
- Tulle fabric is sold by the meter, and it is measured in width. The height of the tulle is most often within 3 meters. In order to determine the required amount of fabric, measure the parameters of your window opening, and then decide on how you will hang the tulle and how it should look at the same time. If you do not like a lot of extra folds and will hang your curtains on curtains with rings or "clothespins", buy tulle one and a half meter wider than the window. If you are going to give the tulle to the atelier to form a “scallop” - a kind of flounce that gathers the fabric over the top to create folds - then you should purchase fabrics two or even three times larger than the width of the opening;
- The curtains on the drawstring, freely moving along the curtain, not fixed by anything, gained great popularity. They are especially relevant if during the day you often have to move the curtains back and forth, for example, to go to the balcony;
- If you have chosen curtains with beautiful intricate patterns, printed prints or heavy embroidery, choose the simplest tulle as possible. The maximum that can be on it is the same print as on the curtains, only paler and in smaller quantities, for example, only some part of the pattern. Do not overload the window and the interior as a whole by hanging too colorful curtains.
Proper care is essential for delicate fabrics like tulle. After all, it is worth a little "overdoing" with the water temperature or choosing the wrong method of spinning, as the curtains lose their shape and lose their attractiveness. Here are the main points to consider when cleaning tulle fabric:
It is advisable to wash the tulle by hand, in lukewarm soapy water. To begin with, you should soak it for at least 30 minutes, then rinse it and hang it over the bathtub to drain the water. Then they can be hung on the curtain, where they will dry completely. Tulle fabric, especially synthetic fabric, need not be ironed
You can remove rust from a white cloth by dripping hot lemon juice on the stain. and after rinsing the fabric in warm water with the addition of ammonia.A rusty stain is removed from a colored curtain by applying a mixture of glycerin, water and soap shavings to it (all products are taken in equal proportions, it is advisable to take white soap). After 24 hours, the stain is washed off in warm water
There are several ways to remove fat from tulle: soaking it for 2-3 hours in a solution of sodium chloride (2 tablespoons per 10 liters of water), soak for 7-8 hours in a solution of baking soda (in the same proportions). If you urgently need to remove a small oily spot, use a dishwashing detergent by pouring it into a small container and lathering it up. Wipe only the soiled part and rinse thoroughly under the tap
To remove grayness and return whiteness to curtains will help ammonia and hydrogen peroxidedissolved in water. You can also use commercial bleaching products, but make sure that their effect is delicate and that the composition is suitable for bleaching delicate fabrics
Let's look at which tulle is best suited for decorating a particular interior style:
- Classic "palace" style perfectly decorate white transparent tulle with complex heavy embroidery with gold or silver threads;
- For modern minimalism and an unusual distinctive art deco style it is very difficult to pick up tulle, but it is possible: as a rule, these are geometric design designs made to order in a special workshop;
- Ethnic and country style suggest unity with nature, therefore, the curtains should also have prints in the form of elements of flora and fauna;
- Art Nouveau interior will decorate well with a discreet monochromatic tulle with lurex.
Depending on which room the curtains will hang in, they will also differ:
- To the nursery you can hang tulle with bright colored patterns representing cartoon characters, cute animals, dolls or cars;
- In the kitchen it is best to hang short curtains, reaching up to the windowsill, in a cage, strip or flower;
- For bedroom choose a dense solid color tulle or fabric with a large pattern. A combination of tulle with curtains will be relevant in this room;
- Living room decorate with chic white tulle with intricate patterns made with silver or gold threads. Combine it with curtains or drapes.
For information on how to choose tulle for your interior, see the next video.