Cornices are an integral part of the design of window openings. With their help, you can not only hide the room from prying eyes with the help of curtains, but also decorate the opening itself, and also slightly modify the room. But in order to achieve these goals, not just the installation of cornices is required, but their correct selection and placement on the windows.
Which ones are in fashion now?
All cornices made today can be conditionally divided into two huge subgroups, depending on variations of their attachment:
- The first includes those that are attached to the walls above the windows.
- The second type is attached to the ceiling. It is almost impossible to single out the most popular of them by this criterion.
Therefore, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the description of the most common cornices of both types in more detail:
- Rail curtains have long been known to buyers, but their popularity has not diminished over the years. They have a roller curtain attachment and extension system, which has a long service life and is easy to use. The curtains themselves are made from wood of various species, high-quality plastic or various types of metal. The rails can be standard, painted in any color or decorative, and the cornice itself can be flexible or steel. Its exact parameters are selected depending on the type of curtains that will be fixed on it.
- Eaves-rods used only for hanging light curtains, since they themselves are made of low-strength materials such as plastic or bronze. There are both models of a classic straight form, and curved for arched openings. A type of such curtains is considered to be a tubular cornice.
- Curtain rod - another very popular model of curtain rods. This is a wooden, plastic or metal curtain rod with rings located on it. There are standard barbells, and there are hidden ones. The latter are more popular.
- Baguette - this is another kind of curtains, which has a special bar that hides from prying eyes the place of attachment of the curtain and cornice. They are made from plastic, wood or steel. Suitable for all types of curtains. The baguette cornice is used not only for the design of window openings, but also for doorways.
- String cornice, which buyers call among themselves "string" - this is a very flexible curtain, which is stretched between the side metal strips of the cornice. Ideal for lightweight fabrics and window decoration in small spaces.
- Sliding cornice is also quite popular today. It was originally created for use in bathrooms and to hide the bath itself from prying eyes. Today it is also actively used in window decoration. The essence of his work is that the curtains do not move along the cornice, but the cornice itself moves with them to the side. There are models on sale with both manual and electric control.
- Tire cornice - This is a type of sliding curtain. Their principle of operation is approximately the same, only the cornice itself is in fact a special tire with rings, which can be controlled manually, mechanically or using a special control panel.
- Round cornice, despite the wide range of such products, it is considered universal. It is ideal for decorating any window openings and hanging any curtains. It is usually made of wood or metal. It is this round curtain that is considered the ancestor of rods and rods.
Also, all the cornices sold are subdivided into several more varieties, depending on how many rows they consist of and how many curtains can be hung on them. Therefore, on sale you can find single-row, double-row and three-row cornices. The purchase of such multi-row cornices allows for a simple and quick multi-layer design of a window opening. Among such a wide range of modern and popular models of curtain rods, it is quite easy to get confused. Therefore, it is very important to know some of the nuances that you should rely on when choosing a curtain for windows.
How to choose?
In order for the purchased curtain rod to fit beautifully into the overall interior of the room, to be comfortable and durable in operation, the following must be observed recommendations when choosing it:
- For plastic windows, it is best to buy ceiling cornices. It will be easier to fix them, and the curtain itself will not interfere with opening and closing the window. This is especially true for devices with a swing-out mechanism.
- Both wall and ceiling curtains are ideal for wooden windows.
- You should select a product that will correspond not only to the general style of the interior, but also to the curtains themselves. The heavier and more massive they are, the more solid and voluminous the cornice should be. So it will allow you to be confident in the strength of the structure and its reliability.
- With the help of ceiling curtains, you can visually increase the heights of a low and small room, and with the help of wall models, on the contrary, reduce it.
- For visual expansion of narrow window openings, long cornices should be purchased. In any case, the cornice should either be equal to the window opening or be larger than it.
- Round cornices are best purchased with a ceiling mount type, they look more harmonious and stylish.
- If it is necessary to make the curtain rods as less noticeable as possible, then it is better to purchase string curtains, they do not distract attention to themselves.
- It is also imperative to take into account the texture of the curtains themselves, which will be fixed on the curtains. For light fabrics, it is better to use wall-mounted models of curtain rods made of plastic or metal, but for massive and dense fabrics, it is better to choose wooden or steel ceiling curtain rods.
Accessories and tools
All curtain rods sold today have additional accessories attached to them. Depending on the type of curtains, as well as their manufacturer, as such an additional complete sets can be presented:
Such components are usually already independently selected by the manufacturer for each cornice model, but if necessary, you can purchase them separately.
In addition to such components, the following tools will be required to properly install the curtain rod:
- Ladder. It is needed if the ceilings and windows are of great height. Also, you cannot do without it in the case of installing ceiling curtains.
- Perforator. It will also be required in the case of installing ceiling cornices, but sometimes its use is necessary in cases where the walls or ceiling are made of concrete or solid brick.
- Bolts, screws.
- Pencil and rulers.
- Building level. It is necessary in order to make sure that the curtains are even.
Now that all the tools and accessories are prepared, you can proceed to the direct installation of curtain rods.
How to hang correctly?
Installation of curtains for curtains can be carried out in several ways. The choice of a particular one will depend not only on the type of the product itself, but also on the ceiling and walls on which it will be mounted. In any case, assembling a curtain rod for curtains of each type will not be so difficult as it might seem at first glance.
How do I mount wall models?
There are two ways to place wall cornices. In the first case, the cornice must be nailed over the side walls of the window, and in the second case it should be installed directly in the window opening itself. But first things first. When installing curtains in both cases, the following rules should be observed:
- You should choose nails and dowels that are suitable for the materials from which the walls themselves are made.
- Before the installation itself, you need to make sure that the curtain itself will not interfere with the operation of the window, that is, it will be possible to open and close it easily and without problems.
Now you can proceed directly to the installation of the product on the wall. This should be done like this:
- Determine the height of the cornice and draw a straight line with a pencil and ruler.
- Fix the location of the brackets with a pencil. Carefully you need to ensure that they are placed at the same distance from the window opening.
- Now, using a screwdriver and screws of a suitable size, you need to fix the brackets themselves.
- The curtain itself should be fixed on them, leveling it in length according to the size of the window itself.
The wall cornice is ready to use. If it is necessary to install a curtain inside the opening itself, then the sequence of actions should be as follows:
- It is necessary to measure the location of the correct location of the curtain from the ceiling and the angle of its installation from the corner of the wall itself.
- Further, with a pencil and a ruler, the locations of the brackets on the window slopes are marked.
- The brackets are now installed. Also, as in the previous case, the curtain itself is placed.
There is nothing difficult in installing wall curtains of both types. In fact, all the work takes no more than 15 minutes:
- Installation of ceiling. Installation of ceiling models also has two varieties and depends on what kind of ceiling itself - normal or stretch. In case it is necessary to fasten the curtain to the stretch ceiling, this work should be done as follows:
- It is necessary to attach a wooden beam to the cavity of the ceiling, which is the same size as the curtain itself. Moreover, its thickness should be less than the distance between the film and the usual ceiling under it. The beam should be fixed under the film and, after installing it, fix the ceiling film in place.
- Next, they make a markup on it, determining the location of the brackets, and also mark the places of punctures in the film, thanks to which it will not break in the future. This is done with an ordinary slate pencil.
- Rings are put on the puncture sites, which are then burned.
- Now you can attach the curtain itself.
I would like to note right away that such an installation takes more time than usual and requires more care. Therefore, many experts recommend in the case of such ceilings in the house give preference to wall models. When installing curtains on a regular ceiling, such inconveniences do not arise.
All that is required is to determine the location of the eaves, use a pencil to mark the place where the brackets are screwed, then screw them on and install the curtain itself.
The installation of curtains on the plasterboard ceiling is not accidentally moved to a separate subsection. This is explained by the fact that in this case it is required to use special dowels, which are designed specifically for this material. These dowels are called moths or butterflies. When using them, you should know that the maximum permissible weight of their load for ceiling mounting should not exceed 5 kg.
In general, the sequence of actions will be as follows:
- Choosing the location of the mounting brackets and marking these places with a pencil.
- Their direct installation using special dowels.
- Hanging the cornice itself.
It is worth noting that when installing wall models on a plasterboard wall, such special dowels should also be used. The algorithm of actions in this case will be the same as when installing standard cornices on a regular wall.
For information on how to install the cornice on drywall, see the next video.
At what altitude?
Now that we have figured out the procedure for installing the curtains, it remains to decide on only one parameter, namely, the height of their fastening. The easiest and fastest way to determine this distance is by using an example of an old curtain. That is, new products are installed in the same place where the previous cornice was located. However, this mounting option is not always technically and aesthetically correct. It may turn out that the height will not be enough for the curtains, or with such an arrangement, the curtains will interfere with opening the windows.
Therefore, in such situations, it is better to use the advice of specialists. Experienced craftsmen recommend placing ceiling curtains at a distance of 5 or 10 centimeters from the ceiling itself. The exact distance will depend on the size of the cornice, its volume, and the type of curtains.
For wall models, the optimal mounting height will be 10 cm, but not from the ceiling itself, but from the edge of the window opening.
Examples for different rooms
The correct arrangement of curtains in the house can significantly improve the visual perception of the overall interior of the room, and these examples prove this once again. Beautiful minimalist curtains on a hidden mechanism in the living room do not distract attention from the overall interior, while visually increasing the height of the window favorably and emphasizing the sophistication and laconicism of the curtains themselves.
For the kitchen, string cornices can be a good solution, as in this case. A stylish curtain with a baguette bar ennobles the overall style of a large kitchen, making it more sophisticated, but at the same time the curtain itself remains almost invisible. On the balcony, or rather, on the opening of the exit to it, an arched flexible tubular cornice will look great.
It makes the opening more noticeable and neat, while not disrupting the overall interior of the room and not being too conspicuous.
Room curtains like this example are perfect for curtain rails or round curtains. With them, they look as natural and harmonious as possible, and most importantly, stylish and beautiful. All these examples prove once again that the correct choice and competent installation of curtain rods only help to improve the visual perception of the room, and also emphasize the beauty of the curtains themselves.