Supplementary indoor lighting plays a special role today, especially when it comes to bathroom lighting. There are many lighting fixtures for this room on the market today. However, wall lamps are especially popular in it.
What are they used for?
Wall lamps, as the name suggests, are primarily used as an additional light source in the bathroom. But with their help, you can create not simple lighting, but for example, point lighting. Depending on the type of device used, you can make a concentrated or diffused color.
Of particular importance is the use of such lamps at night, because going to the toilet, if it is combined with the bathroom, must be illuminated.
In addition, it is not a secret for anyone that in the bathroom people not only take water procedures, but also perform other actions, for example, washing and ironing things, cosmetic procedures and some other things. Without the availability of high-quality lighting, it will be quite difficult to cope with them quickly and efficiently.
Do not forget that lighting affects human health and overall well-being. Using various types of wall lamps, you can get high-quality light without overstraining your eyes.
It is also important here that the intensity of light radiation, as well as its quality, can both cause fatigue and, conversely, invigorate a person.
Due to the fact that wall lamps have several varieties, they can be used to create exactly the lighting that will be most comfortable for you. They can become not only an additional source of light, but also a decorative and useful interior decoration, and their use also helps to save energy.
But in order to get and appreciate on yourself and your experience all the advantages and advantages of wall lamps in the bathroom, they must be chosen and installed correctly. Therefore, first of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the main selection criteria:
- Security… The bathroom is a place with high humidity, therefore it is very important that the purchased appliance is strong, safe and durable. Today, special waterproof models of such a device are on sale. If possible, it is best to purchase them. If for some reason this is impossible, preference should be given to models that have a durable protective cover and rubberized attachment points for parts of the lamp itself.
- The power of the device, or rather the intensity of the illumination. It is necessary to select products for this parameter, based on the area of the bathroom, its main color style, as well as personal preferences. Lighting experts strongly recommend choosing natural daylight. As for power, it is better to give preference to luminaires with a power of 40 W for appliances with conventional incandescent lamps, with a power of 6 W for LED devices and with a power of 15 W for halogen lamps. But it is worth remembering that the larger the area of the room, the more powerful the lamps themselves should be.
- Availability of additional functions. There are models with a built-in switch that will work or vice versa, turn off when you press a special button, and there are more modern devices.These luminaires react to movement thanks to special sensors. It is Italy that is the country that produces such modern devices.
- And of course, we must not forget about the design of wall lighting fixtures. Today there are many of their models on sale, so it is best to select those that fit best with the overall interior design.
By following these simple guidelines, you can easily find the one that is completely safe and meets your requirements.
Advantages and disadvantages
Despite such important functions that these devices perform, they have their pros and cons, which must be taken into account when making a choice in favor of a particular model of wall lighting.
The main advantages include:
- The wide availability of such devices. Wall lamps for the bathroom are sold today in almost every specialty store.
- A wide range of. Today, various manufacturers are engaged in the production and release of such products, and the lamps themselves have various sizes, colors and shapes.
- Only one lighting fixture can be used to get enough light in a small room.
- Spot lighting can be arranged in specific areas if necessary.
- Small dimensions and dimensions allow installing such devices on any walls and shelves, even in a very limited space.
- It is possible to use such devices as decorative systems.
- Affordable cost.
- Possibility of using various types of incandescent lamps.
The presence of such significant advantages has helped to become one of the most popular wall lamps. But such bathroom lighting devices also have some disadvantages:
- It is because of the high humidity and a large accumulation of steam that it is required to purchase special waterproof devices. Otherwise, it will not be possible to ensure the normal level of security in this room.
- In order, again, to ensure safety and preserve the beautiful appearance of the room, you will have to make hidden wiring, and it takes a lot of time to create it.
As you can see, even such modern devices have their drawbacks, but they have much more advantages.
Earlier it was said that there are several types of such lighting devices on sale. All of them are subdivided into several varieties.
Depending on their shape, such lamps on the wall in the bathroom can be as follows:
- Regular round or oval shade.
- Suspended models.
- Classic sconces.
- Models with a lampshade made of moisture-repellent materials.
Depending on the direction of light, all of the above models of the device can have both a directed flux of light radiation and a diffused one. In the first case, the lamp illuminates a certain area of the room, in the second, the light is evenly distributed throughout the room.
Also, all wall lamps are subdivided into several more groups, depending on the design in which they are made:
- Classic style. This includes all products of simple colors and laconic forms. A prime example is a classic wall lamp with a transparent or white round shade.
- Sea style. Such devices are characterized by wavy lines, somewhat reminiscent of a shell, as well as colors close to the marine theme: blue, blue, green or turquoise.
- Modern. Lamps in this style are striking in their simplicity and functionality. They are a kind of successors to the classic models.
- Lighting chalet style perfectly mimic the appearance of antique wall lamps. They are often bronze or chrome plated.
- Country style it is also often used in the creation of such devices.Such models have an uncomplicated appearance and a modest color, they are often also called rustic.
These are the main groups that bathroom wall lighting fixtures are divided into today.
There is one more criterion, but it is conditional and depends on what kind of lamp will be used in this device.
Which bulbs to choose?
Today there are several types of bulbs for such devices and the first thing the owner of bathroom fixtures will have to face is their choice.
In order to choose the most suitable lamp option, you need to familiarize yourself with the brief characteristics of each existing model:
The most inexpensive and widely available are conventional incandescent lamps. They are characterized by simple appearance and low cost. However, it is not recommended to use them for bathroom fixtures. Such models have low protective characteristics, they quickly burst when water drops on a heated lamp, and also have a short service life
Fluorescent lamps are more durable in work and more resistant to water particles, but they contain mercury vapors, which are known for their toxic properties
Therefore, such bulbs can be used exclusively in luminaires with high moisture resistance. Otherwise, their use may be harmful.
Halogen are one of the best options, they consume little electrical energy, have a long service life, but at the same time they are more expensive than the two previous options
LED lamps are considered the best solution for wall lights in the bathroom. Their consumption of electrical energy is minimal, their service life is several years. The only disadvantage can be considered a rather high cost, which fully pays off in a short time
From this brief description, it becomes clear that halogen or LED models will be the best bulbs for use in wall lamps in the bathroom.
Matching with style
It has already been said that fixtures should be selected taking into account the overall style of the bathroom. After all, this is the only way they will look as stylish and harmonious as possible. Of course, the easiest way to do this is if the style of this lighting fixture fully matches the style of the room itself, for example, the ceiling for a classic bathroom is also made in the style of a classic. But this is not always the case, so you need to choose lamps taking into account the following factors:
- The size of the room itself. In a small bathroom, a too large wall lamp will look stupid and inappropriate, and besides, such an arrangement of the device will be impractical from the point of view of operation. It is best to follow the rule: the larger the room, the more voluminous the lamp.
- It is necessary to take into account the color scheme itself, and not just the general design style. So, chrome-plated appliances will perfectly fit into the bathroom interior with a large number of gray metal objects or with a chrome-colored shower stall. Such devices are better suited for styles such as high-tech, modern and loft.
- It is better to purchase a lamp, the shade of which will have a transparent or matte white color. It is these models that best fit into almost any style of room design.
- Fans of minimalism should give preference to the usual classic shades. or those created in country style.
- It is also important to consider the shape of the lamp itself. So, for small bathrooms, it is better to purchase products with a round shape, which will visually help increase the space itself and make it more harmonious.But for rooms with a large area and a large number of objects in the interior, you can purchase lamps of a curved shape or having very clear and even edges.
- The intensity of the lighting should also be matched to the style. So, for bathrooms in modern styles, lamps with cold or warm, but white light are better suited. For classic rooms, ordinary daylight lamps are suitable. But for retro styles, you should give preference to models that have a pronounced yellowish color.
Using these simple guidelines, you can find the perfect wall light for your bathroom that not only looks harmonious, but also enhances its individuality.
Bath wall lights are one of the best options for decorating this room and creating the right lighting in it, and the tips and tricks outlined in this article are sure to help you make the right choice.
Find out how to choose and place a wall lamp in your bathroom in the next video.