It is good when the house is light and cozy, but it often happens that there is not enough daylight for comfortable study or work. The less light, the more tired the eyes are, and therefore, the vision deteriorates. One option for additional lighting to help prevent vision problems is nothing more than a regular table lamp. It would seem that it could be simpler, but even these little helpers hide many mysteries. This article will help open the veil of secrecy and choose exactly the light source that is optimal for different rooms and conditions.
Variety of functions
And you need to start with the fact that despite the main function of the table lamp to emit light, they also have several minor purposes:
- The first function is decorative component … Yes, table lamps are used as normal room decorations. Most often these are bedside lamps that fit into the interior as much as possible and create a complete image of the room. Of course, in their light it is convenient to read in bed, but they are rarely used for this.
- In addition to decorating rooms, table lamps are often used as night lights, such children's devices that create a faint glow that does not strain the eyes and at the same time disperses the impenetrable darkness of the night that interferes with sleeping babies.
- But still the main function of table lamps is creating a working atmosphere for workers and students. Many experts recommend creating the most comfortable lighting for the eyes just for these groups of people, since both of them very often and a lot strain their eyes.
Despite the fact that the functional use of table lamps is not very large, there are a great many options for their execution, since manufacturers of furniture and accessories strictly follow modern fashion trends and release their products in different styles. You can also make such a lamp for a specific interior, regardless of its content.
As already mentioned, there are many design options, but you can try and highlight the main ones:
- Decorative. These lamps serve one single purpose. And just exactly they represent the greatest variety of images - from simple strict minimalism to high-tech samples in high-tech style. In fulfilling their task, they can even combine several styles, approaching several directions at the same time and filling the room with themselves.
- Children's table lamps, rather, they are intended to create positive associations in babies, and therefore they are made in the form of various pleasant objects such as bunnies, mice, stars and similar cute things. For older children, special nightlights are provided in the form of everyone's favorite superheroes and items of their equipment such as Thor's hammer or Captain America's shield. Even adults who do not want to say goodbye to childhood acquire them for themselves.
- The third, but no less relevant in terms of the type of design, the type of table lamps are workers. Their variety is not so great, because their task is to give a bright, not stressing light, but not to please the eye of the beholder. That is why these lamps are most often presented in the form of elongated devices, covered with a plastic shield to avoid burns during operation, and they differ mainly in the length of the product itself, which is proportional to the workplace.
Selection criteria for the desktop
Today, in the age of advanced computer and Internet technologies, a special category of table lamps can be those that are designed to work on a computer. Many, of course, use the usual lamps that are used to equip desktops, but often their functionality is limited and does not provide one hundred percent comfort when using a computer. In general, we can say that the main table lamp is the computer itself, or rather, its monitor, the light from which is quite capable of illuminating the necessary part of the working surface of the table, including the keyboard and other peripheral devices, the use of which is necessary for high-quality work.
If the work involves a night mode, then additional light sources, in addition to the monitor, are simply necessary, and today many manufacturers of various kinds of backlights and lamps are concerned about this issue. The result of solving this problem was the emergence of a huge number of additional accessories for personal computers, including keyboards with backlit keys, special adhesive tapes with LEDs located above the keyboard and powered by the computer itself via a USB port.
This is not a complete list of everything that was created to solve the problem of poor lighting, but I would like to single out table lamps among all this variety, of which there are also quite a few. Here's what you need to know when choosing them.
- The first and main aspect when choosing a lamp for equipping a workplace is its power. The more powerful the lamp, the brighter its glow, respectively, the higher the light sensitivity of the eye, the less pleasant the sensations will be when working with such lamps. On the other hand, someone, on the contrary, can work exclusively in bright light. In general, the choice of power is highly dependent on human needs.
- The second selection criterion is energy consumption. Of course, this is also very important and depends on the need for constant lighting while performing the assigned tasks. If during the day the operating time with the need for increased artificial lighting does not exceed an hour, then it is quite possible to do with a small battery-powered lamp. Such lamps are most often low-power and give very little light, but one battery can be enough for a long time. If you have a lot to work at night, then it is best to choose a small, highly directional desk lamp with a flexible base that connects directly to the computer. Such lamps consume little energy, but are capable of producing light for a very long time. You can, of course, use good old table lamps that are attached directly to the table and connected to the mains using a standard outlet.
When working with a computer, such lamps cause more negativity than good, since they are attached to the table and have a rigid base, therefore, if necessary, to illuminate hard-to-reach places, such a lamp may be simply useless.
- The most common way is, of course, the screw. The base of the lamp is literally inserted into the edge of the table, after which the fixing screw located at the bottom of the base is twisted, organizing a clear adhesion to the bottom of the table and pressing the top of the base against the working surface of the table top.
- The second mounting option that is gaining popularity is regular plastic clip located at the base of the lampthat can even be attached to the monitor without the danger of damaging it. Of course, it is not entirely correct to call such lamps exclusively table lamps, since at present their use is not limited to connecting to the mains only through an electrical outlet.
Connecting such lamps via a USB port greatly expands the possibilities of their use, allowing them to be used even outdoors, working with a laptop, for example.
- The third method of placing table lamps in the workplace can be attributed lamps without a clearly defined attachment, that is, located on the table itself. Basically, these are decorative lamps, the use of which for lighting is secondary. And the convenience of using them when working with a computer is not great.
- Another rather ad hoc way of attaching a table lamp to a desktop is to use the ability to connect the lamp only through the USB port, which, in fact, is the mount. Such lamps most often consist of three components: the lamp itself, a connecting cable wrapped in rigid insulation and flexible joints, and the USB connector itself. Due to the flexibility of the base, the possibilities of attaching them to the table are very large, because they can simply be tied to a table element in the right place and direct the light where necessary.
Correct placement on the table
In fact, the correct location of the table lamp in the workplace is purely individual for each person and depends on his needs, however, specialists have developed a whole list of requirements for the organization of the workplace. Here is some of them:
- It is better to place the lamp to your left or in front of you;
- The light should fall only on the work surface, but so that the glare does not blind the eyes;
- If the lamp is located at the back, then the shadow from the head should not fall on the work surface;
- It is best if the work surface will not cast glare at all. This will protect your eyes from unnecessary irritation;
- When working at a computer, it is necessary to combine the brightness of the monitor with the lighting from the lamp. The light from it should not fall on the monitor, and the brightness of the monitor should be two to three times higher than the brightness of the lamp.
Differences between decorative models
As mentioned above, decorative models are very different from their counterparts both in functionality and in a huge variety of performance. In general, decorative table lamps are, for the most part, static lamps, which consist of a round or square stem and the lamp itself, covered with a shade that can diffuse or concentrate light.
In addition, so-called dimmers, or dimmers, are often installed on decorative lamps, which allow you to vary the brightness to create the desired atmosphere. For example, a dim light from a table lamp promotes the development of romantic thoughts, while a bright light distracts from unnecessary thoughts, forcing you to focus on the main thing.
Another feature of decorative table lamps is the variety of shapes for plafonds or plafonds in case several bulbs are provided in the product. The so-called "floristry" is very popular, that is, the manufacture of a shade in the shape of a flower bud, which can look like a rose, a tulip and many other variations.
In addition to the shape, the color of both the entire product and only the plafond is considered an important difference, since it can give the light from the lamp exclusive shades, ranging from black to colors such as pink or yellow.
You can combine the colors and shapes of the plafonds, creating unique works of art from them, which will create a feeling of completeness even with the lights off, and after turning them on will create additional effects that will amaze the imagination of anyone who will contemplate this action.
Also decorative lamps can be used as a night light.
Of course, the standard and already familiar shapes of table lamps are good, but there is always room to move on. For example, the implementation of manufacturers' fantasies in various styles:
- Classic - the direction of style, which originated in the 17th century and is in great demand to this day in the design of various premises;
- Vanguard - the opposite of the classics. It is dominated by the use of the most modern materials, furniture and color combinations to style the premises;
- Modern - this native of the XIX century is based on all kinds of emphasis on luxury in everything. Patterns are often used in the form of various flowers with beautiful buds
- Loft - one of the modern styles, which literally represents the organization of the interior of the premises in the form of an abandoned industrial structure such as a garage, workshop, workshop, and the like. Of course, when choosing this style, there is no need to throw dirt and dust on everything;
- Provence. This style came to us from France. More precisely, from its provincial settlements. Combines rustic simplicity with the elegance of true monarchs.
Unusual models for a beautiful interior
Today, the organization of a beautiful interior occupies an important place in the life of many people, often losing all the functionality of table lamps. Although there are successful examples, such as the use of crystal shades, as well as the manufacture of the entire structure from crystal. When the lamp is turned on, the plafond begins to play with all the colors of the rainbow, since the crystal crystals begin to play the role of a prism, which allows the white light to be split into components.
Also, lamps made of wood can be called an original and at the same time beautiful solution, but wooden products do not always allow you to fully use its functionality.
Of course, a plafond carefully carved from wood and decorated with various kinds of carvings is visually beautiful, but there is no lighting from it.
Often, when decorating a room in the classic or modern style, special antique lamps or modern, but artificially aged ones are purchased.
In Russia, an interesting solution for the interior of a public institution would be the use of three shades of white, blue and red, arranged as a tricolor.
The works of Italian masters look extremely interesting. Special attention is paid to wireless models today.
Of course, today there are a lot of fashionable and unusual models, but it is worth remembering that not all of them will look appropriate in any room.
It is very important that there is no overkill in the colors and visual content of the interior.
As mentioned earlier, the solution to the issue of insufficient illumination of desktop surfaces is becoming more and more relevant every day. Dozens, if not hundreds, of new table lamp options are invented every day. And they all differ from each other more and more.
Now you do not need to be connected to the mains to work. It is enough to have a USB port at hand even from a portable battery to start using the table lamp.
Adjust brightness - what could be easier! It is worth purchasing a lamp with a dimmer - a dimmer, and you can switch the light modes as you please.
There are even some that are able to change their color thanks to several built-in LEDs that can be switched using a special remote control, thereby creating a unique dance of light on the walls.
For those who work in the construction industry and are engaged in drawing high-precision projects, a magnifying glass built into the table lamp, with which you can see even the smallest details.
At the same time, today for most people the possibility of mobile use of the lamp and its transfer from place to place is relevant, therefore, in most cases, folding options are made for workplaces.
You can equip it with special lighting that will work depending on the main light or independently. It can also be operated with a remote control.
Features of models for children
How children's table lamps differ from adults - the answer to this question is very simple and is already a little disclosed at the very beginning, but it is worth repeating that children's models are most often performed in the form of different animals and things that do not frighten children. There are table lamps made in the form of characters from fairy tales of the peoples of the world, from a hedgehog in the fog to a kung fu panda.
Which bulbs to choose?
A very important aspect when choosing a table lamp is the choice of a light bulb for it. Not so long ago, incandescent bulbs were the most common, but they consume too much energy and heat the lampshade too much. In addition, they can burst, causing harm to health, so now they are practically not used. The best choice would be fluorescent lamps, which artificially create soft and comfortable lighting.
To organize the workplace, it must be remembered that the optimal lamp power is 60 watts. At higher wattage, light reflected from paper or a work surface will be very irritating to the eyes, and at less than 40 watts, there will be very poor lighting.
Almost all light bulbs now luminescent, since they consume much less energy and last longer, but their cost is much higher than incandescent.
Also, in some table lamps, manufacturers use the so-called halogen lamps, but there are quite a few of them and it is quite difficult to find such devices. If you manage to find it, but it has become unusable, it can also be difficult to replace it with a new one.
In the end, I would like to mention several manufacturers of high-quality table lamps from Italy and Spain:
- Arte Lamp;
- Odeon Light;
It is also necessary to note the Chinese manufacturers Feron and Kink Light.
For advice on choosing a table lamp, see the following video.