Now there are a huge number of different types and materials for creating carpets, but among them it is worth paying special attention to cotton. 100% cotton is rarely used, but such carpets are popular. Cotton pile carpets may even outwardly resemble Persian ones, sometimes they are confused with wool carpets. But before buying a cotton product, check out the features of this material.
Features of the
Cotton is a natural fiber, it is pleasant to the touch and is hypoallergenic. Almost any carpet made of this material will be of high quality, because cotton is picked and selected by hand. This long process results in a high quality product. Below are the main pros and cons of such a purchase.
- Does not cause allergic reactionsas it is a natural material. Ideal for a nursery or for allergy sufferers;
- The lightness of the material. Unlike other rugs, a cotton rug can be easily moved from room to room. If the design of the room is changed, it can be easily rolled up and put away for storage;
- Softness. Compared to other rugs, cotton seems weightless and very pleasant to the touch. Children will have a pleasant time on it, and their knees will not be able to rub off on the hard surface;
- Large selection of colors and colors … Cotton is easy to dye, so you can easily choose exactly the shade of color, pattern or print you need. Sometimes you can find carpets with tassels or fringes;
- Easy to care for. In order for the product to always look neat, it is enough to vacuum it several times a week, and once a year to carry out a deeper cleaning;
- Does not undergo deformation … If you want to put heavy furniture on the carpet, you don't have to worry that the material will deform. Even if there are creases, it will quickly return to its original appearance. So in case of moving or changing the decor, the cotton cover can be easily carried and placed in different places;
- Interesting design ideas. Cotton material opens up a huge field of imagination for designers. You can find a carpet of a fancy shape or interesting colors. For example, for a children's room it will be great to buy a carpet in the shape of a flower or a ladybug;
- Does not slide on the floor. The pile is applied on a special base, which allows the material to be firmly adhered to the floor surface. This item does not apply to lint-free products;
- Affordable price. Cotton carpets are distinguished not only by a large selection of colors, but also by a wide range of prices. You can find the best option for yourself:
- Easy wash … Cotton easily tolerates a large number of washes and bleaches. You can easily take care of him at home. Plus, it dries quickly.
- Chemical sensitivity. Wine or coffee stains will be difficult to remove because they will eat into the fibers of the material. When trying to wipe off the stain, the product can be severely deformed. The thinner the material, the more difficult it is to remove dirt;
- Burnout. The sun is contraindicated for a cotton carpet. Indoors, place it away from sunlight, otherwise the paint on it will disappear. Drying in the sun is prohibited;
- Short service life. Even with proper care, a cotton carpet quickly loses its original appearance;
- Lint-free carpets constantly go astray … Be prepared to constantly correct and put it back in place.
Which to choose?
The most important point in purchasing is the choice of raw materials. Choose only the highest quality cotton or the rug may become disposable. The difference in price will be quite small, but visually and during operation it is immediately clear whether the product is of high quality or not.
The next step is to choose a model. First of all, start from the room in which you choose the product. Carpets are:
Long pile… The main purpose of such a carpet is the decor of the room. The long-pile model looks expensive, interesting and attractive. Fits perfectly into a room in avant-garde and modern style. Most often, long-haired, monophonic. It is quite difficult to take care of such a product, but the appearance covers this minus
Such a carpet will look good especially in the living room;
Short pile or pile… Such carpets can be in bright saturated colors, with trim around the carpet or with patterns. Thanks to special processing, it has a beautiful silky sheen. Ideal for a child's room, because it is pleasant to the touch and easy to clean. If you have pets, a tufted carpet will work for you
It can be used in the dining room, living room, but not desirable in the hallway. It is difficult to remove heavy dirt from such a carpet;
Lint-free… This rug is made of cotton threads by overlapping. It has a smooth porous surface and is easier to care for than pile models. One of its most important benefits is less absorbency. Dust and dirt are not so strongly deposited on such a product. The rug can be washed even in a washing machine at a temperature of no more than 40 degrees and wrung out by hand. If you need the most ordinary carpet, then pay attention to this option
Place it in the hallway, corridor, living room. For a nursery, it is better to choose another option, since the thickness of the material may not be enough for the child for games, it will be cold for him to sit on it.
How to care?
The main recommendation for the care of a cotton product is dry cleaning. The carpet should be vacuumed several times a week. To remove stains, it is recommended to use dry cleaning services to avoid damage to the material. If you nevertheless decide to get rid of the stain yourself, then keep in mind that for each type of pollution you need to use your own product. There are products only for greasy and oily stains, organic stain removers and others.
When choosing, follow the instructions on the packaging and the type of contamination. Test the reaction on a small area of the carpet, it is possible that too much chemical attack can damage the structure of the fibers or lighten bright colors.
Only a lint-free carpet can be completely washed at home. Use a conventional dryer to dry. Avoid drying in the sun and near heating elements. Pile and long pile can only be cleaned from stains on their own. These types of carpets most often have an adhesive base, therefore hand and machine wash is prohibited.
An overview of the model is in the next video.