Many people choose to make furniture, clothing, and other items from scrap materials (some buy handicrafts). This also applies to lighting devices. Handcrafted luminaires surpass factory products in many respects - thanks to their features.
Hand-made lighting fixtures help to create an atmosphere of tranquility and comfort in the room. Moreover, they differ in a number of advantages:
- There are no restrictions and rigid frameworks in the manufacture of devices - complete freedom of action. You can create a chandelier for your home, or you can create a lantern for the street. There is less freedom in the factory - there are samples, standards.
- A wide range of materials from which you can create a lamp (it can be made of metal, plastic, wood, glass).
- DIY lamps are exclusive and unique.
- It is possible to create a lamp in any style.
- When creating a lamp with your own hands, you will save money.
- It is possible to recreate designer fixtures using similar, but cheaper materials.
- Handcrafted lamps are of the highest quality. Such products are practically never defective.
- Such devices are universal. They are suitable for both the kitchen and the living room.
The features of such lighting fixtures make them very popular with consumers. Often, such lamps turn out to be not only original, but also "cozy", since the master puts not only his skill, but also his soul.
Instrument manufacturing rules
The creation of any item requires careful planning. When planning to make a lamp, you need to decide on some details:
- Location of the device. Today, such lighting devices are made not only for indoor use, but also for the street. Depending on the characteristics of the place, the base, design and material are selected.
- Choice of style and material. Each design style has its own characteristics. The further choice of material for future designer lamps depends on them.
- You will need to choose the type of lighting fixture. LED bulbs are gaining more and more popularity.
Such popularity of LED lamps has become possible due to the special qualities of such lamps:
- Long service life.
- Energy saving. With significant power, such a lamp uses much less electricity than a conventional one.
- It is not very hot, so this lamp can be used with any material (wood, metal, paper, plastic). The likelihood of fire from contact with such materials is very low.
- Such a device is also suitable for street lighting.
- Such lamps are more preferable not only for homemade lamps, but also for factory appliances.
Do not forget about security measures. If the chandelier is made of wood, then this material should be treated against fire and insects. Glass parts, plafonds should be firmly fixed to the reliable structure of the luminaire in order to avoid falling.
When choosing materials for lamps, many craftsmen first of all pay attention to their properties, to what kind of atmosphere they convey.
If you need a solid construction, elegance - and at the same time comfort in the room, you should choose wooden or ceramic lamps.
Characteristics of luminaires made of different materials:
To create a light, gentle indoor atmosphere, preference should be given to paper or plastic
- Wood is chosen by most of the masters - because of its easy processing, the ability to create a variety of designs, all kinds of design techniques. Wooden appliances can be decorated using decoupage technique, painting, carving.
- Plastic lamps no less popular among craftsmen. Plastic perfectly transmits light and does not pose a danger, it is easy to process and is a lightweight material. For such devices, it is not at all necessary to purchase new plastic; improvised materials (plastic jar, spoons, plate) will do. The design of these luminaires is easy to change.
- Glass can be used as separate elements or as a whole luminaire. For the role of a handmade glass lamp, bottles are well suited. Thanks to the multi-colored glass, you can get both warm and cold lighting. Clean glass transmits light well, it can be decorated in different techniques. This material is easy to handle.
- No less popular ceramic and metal lamps. They are distinguished by graceful shapes, the ability to decorate with various techniques (decoupage, painting, firing), versatility. They are not only remarkable in appearance, but also comfortable. Such devices are durable. Chandeliers with ceramic shades are becoming more and more popular, which create a cozy atmosphere both in the apartment and in the cafe.
- Metal lamps are versatile devices that are always in fashion. They will harmoniously fit into both loft-style interiors and Provence. The ability of metal to take any shape turns such lamps into real works of art. Another advantage of such a lighting device is its durability and strength. As a rule, such lamps practically do not decorate, their natural texture and color are appreciated.
When creating a luminaire, one material is rarely used in its pure form. Most often, materials are used in a complex. If the base is wooden, then the parts can be plastic or glass.
The combination of materials, author's construction and design give the device uniqueness and value.
For some interesting ideas on how to make lamps with your own hands, see the next video.