After a hard day at work, you always want to relax and unwind. It's so nice to be in a warm bed, immerse yourself in reading and enjoy the comfort. To create a special atmosphere of comfort, complement the decor, and in general, such a lighting device as bedside sconces will help to radically change the look of the interior.
Origin and destination
Like many names of interior elements, the word "sconce" comes from the French "bras", which literally translates as "handle" or "lever", which is quite consistent with the appearance and purpose of this lamp. The first sconces appeared in the 17th century and were first made of metal, wood and Venetian glass. Electric sconces became widespread in the twentieth century.
Appointment of sconces:
- Lighting a specific area. The sconce plays an indispensable role in the bedroom. In order to save lighting and not spoil your eyesight, lamps are hung at the head of the bed. Thanks to their soft light, it will be convenient to read, work at a laptop, or just talk before going to bed.
- Emphasis on the decor element. Sometimes it is very important to focus on a specific piece of furniture, be it a mirror or a painting, and there is nothing better than highlighting it with light. Wall lamps, symmetrically located on the sides of the mirror, will allow you to clearly see your reflection during cosmetic procedures or while brushing.
- Illumination of niches in the wall.
- Creation of a certain atmosphere. Rooms with one window or completely devoid of them are especially in need of additional lighting. Using a sconce as an additional source of lighting will help make the room brighter and more visually spacious. Also, if necessary, this wall lamp will provide a cozy twilight in the evenings.
Sconces with lampshade are attached to the wall using a bracket. Such lamps have distinctive and sophisticated shapes. There are many original options, the design of which can surprise anyone and give the interior a special zest. The second type of luminaires is a plafond attached close to the surface.
The body of the sconce differs in its mobility: the use of a rigid one will allow the lamp to be fixed in one position, and the flexible one can be guided as it is convenient and the sconce can be turned in any direction.
Lampshade shape affects lighting:
- a lampshade made in the form of a suspended platform will direct the luminous flux upward;
- an inverted bowl-shaped lampshade contributes to the creation of a well-defined bright spot of light under the lamp;
- a model with a closed round or square shade creates a soft, uniformly scattered lighting in all directions;
- there are also sconces that combine all of the above features or do not have a plafond at all.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to change the degree of light intensity.
For this, a dimmer called a dimmer is used. Its main purpose is to change the brightness of the luminous flux, which is very important for bedside sconces. In addition, there are a number of other useful features, such as:
- the ability to set the time intervals through which the light will turn on and off;
- remote and acoustic control.It is very useful in cases where the switch or the sconce itself is at a high height, and it becomes necessary to rise whenever the light needs to be turned off;
- setting the lamp operation - dimming, blinking, adjusting cold and warm light.
Use in different styles
When buying a sconce, you should pay attention not only to the functionality, but also to its appearance. A correctly chosen lamp will serve as a decoration for the room, complement it, and create a special atmosphere.
One of the youngest styles, which is not yet 50 years old. It is characterized by functionality, minimalism and geometricity. A bedroom decorated in this style, as a rule, is light, spacious, not cluttered with unnecessary furniture and decor elements. Special attention is paid to the decoration of the bed. Usually, the main signs of hi-tech are displayed at its head - it can be a panel, a picture, a plasma TV or a lamp.
Sconces in this style should first of all look modern.
Only artificial materials such as glass and plastic are used to create them. No gilding or bronze, no exquisite decor. The clarity of the lines is another feature of them. Chrome or plastic lamps in the form of geometric shapes will look very good. Another popular option is rectangular sconces with a ceiling closed on top, mounted on the wall in such a way as to form a kind of steps.?
The style is characterized by bold and daring solutions, challenging decor and color combinations, riot and brightness of colors. He overturns the established ideas about the organization of space and room design, interprets classic ideas and offers completely non-standard solutions.
A bedroom made in the avant-garde style is suitable for a young creative person who is ready to experiment. “Combine the incongruous” is the main motto of this style, which is reflected in the characteristic color scheme. Bright, juicy and rebellious colors are used to decorate walls, ceilings, furniture, decor and, of course, lighting.
Monochromatic eye-catching lamps, contrasting with the main colors of the interior, will be an excellent solution for a bedroom made in this style. For example, cylindrical green or yellow models will look great against the red wall at the head of the bed, complementing the overall picture and ensuring the brightness of the room.
A completely non-standard solution will be asymmetrically built-in round-shaped lamps that form a kind of flying soap bubbles over the bed.
This style is most often associated with wooden country houses and American ranches. The style concept dictates the use of ecological materials: wood and stone, voluminous wallpaper and special canvases. Such a bedroom will provide a warm, homely atmosphere of a country house.
Lighting plays a huge role in this style. In the daytime, natural light is preferable, while in the evening there should be warm and soft light.
The wall at the head of the bed will be well decorated with a panel of several paintings with a natural theme, and wall lamps with a fabric shade will complement the overall picture and give the room a special comfort.
Such a room should be refined and refined, combining characteristic ornaments, flowing lines and noble colors. An oriental-style bedroom should be oversaturated with textiles, decorated with expensive fabrics, colorful and impressive.
Properly chosen lighting creates an intimate and mysterious atmosphere in the room, which can be achieved with the help of floor lamps and table lamps. They will provide a subdued diffuse light. Bedside sconces should also not stand out from the overall style.
These can be small spotlights located above the headboard, or wrought gilded sconces with Arabic patterns attached to the wall on the sides of it.
The so-called "attic" style, which became widespread in the era of optimization of old factory premises and workshops into living quarters. The main characteristic of the style is underlined negligence. Rooms typically have high ceilings, unpainted walls, cool colors, and homemade design items.
For all its rudeness and semi-minimalism, a loft-style bedroom will be cozy and attractive in its own way.
Lighting in this style is very important, it must be individual and unique. This photo shows a custom bedside lamp that is both a subject of lighting and a bookshelf. Taken as a basis, old rusty pipes evoke the idea of the past industrialization of the room, and a single lamp focuses attention on this decorative element.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantage of sconces is their compactness and small size, which allows them to be used in a small room or in one where you have to abandon a chandelier due to low ceilings. The ability to change the direction of light provides a wide range of applications for these products, and the sophisticated design allows you to choose a lamp for every taste.
However, the luminous flux of sconces is much weaker than that of conventional chandeliers, which will prevent them from being the only source of illumination. Also, sconces are somewhat dangerous for small children due to their low location and hanging power wires.
You will see even more interesting lighting options in the next video.