Chandeliers with a fabric lampshade have not lost their popularity over the years. In the 17th century, they decorated the living rooms and bedrooms of rich and noble persons, indicated the wealth and refined taste of the owners of the house. Without losing the sophistication of design and variety of forms, such models are still relevant and in demand.
According to the method of fixing to the ceiling, chandeliers are of two types:
suspended models. Fastened with a hook pre-mounted in the ceiling. The suspension can be made in the form of a chain with a wire passed through the links or in the form of a tube inside which the wires are hidden
Chandeliers with this type of attachment are used in rooms with high ceilings and create bright and even illumination;
ceiling. A plate is mounted in the ceiling to hide the wires, on which one or more lighting elements with lampshades are located. This type of chandelier is suitable for low rooms, the support bar often has a mirror surface, which contributes to more uniform illumination and is suitable for many modern styles
Features of the
Appliances with fabric shades have both positive and negative properties. The advantages include:
- soft diffusing light that creates an atmosphere of comfort and tranquility;
- ease. Unlike products with shades, such models have less weight, which is convenient for installation and eliminates the risk of the chandelier falling due to its own weight;
- the inability to break the lampshade. This quality is relevant for the use of chandeliers in children's rooms. Unintentional damage to the device and injury to the child is excluded;
- a wide price range allows you to choose budget models that can often be changed to new ones.
Among the shortcomings, it can be noted:
- fading of material, especially cotton fabrics;
- the use of lamps of a strictly defined type due to the possibility of ignition and deformation of the fabric lampshade;
- special care. Fabric products are more difficult to care for than lampshades made from hard materials.
Use in various premises
Thanks to a wide range of models and varied designs, a chandelier with a fabric lampshade can be selected for almost any room in the house, with the exception of bathrooms and toilets, where high humidity is noted. The fabric model can be seen:
- in the bedroom. Lampshades soften and diffuse light, creating a romantic and serene atmosphere. For example, silk products transmit the light flux well, due to which they do not create a bright directional beam that tires the eyes;
- a chandelier with a round satin lampshade decorated with fringe will look great in a classic-style living room;
- in the room of a teenage child, a denim lampshade with a patch pocket is suitable, into which you can put a checkered scarf or make an applique from pieces of leather;
- in the bedroom of a small child, a chandelier with a yellow or orange lampshade with a print of fairy-tale characters or animals will look good;
- not all types of fabrics are suitable for the kitchen due to the fact that many of them cannot be cleaned of grease and dust.
A good design solution can be a lampshade made of burlap and decorated with wooden elements - buttons or large beads.
The following types of fabrics are used for the production of lampshades:
- Silk transmits light well, does not create a directional beam effect, well suited to the bedroom or nursery. Short-lived;
- Organza looks very beautiful, diffuses light, creates a cozy atmosphere. It will be in perfect harmony with curtains made of the same material;
- Atlas - luxurious fabric. Chandeliers with satin lampshades trimmed with fringes will be a worthy decoration of a classic living room. The material transmits light well, creating bright lighting;
- Chintz - durable inexpensive material;
- Satin has a solid structure, creates a subdued light, and a wide range of colors and various designs allows you to choose a product for any room;
- Linen - dense fabric, suitable for country houses decorated in Provence and shabby chic styles;
- Lace gives comfort and a special retro atmosphere. Good for bedrooms.
Chandeliers with a fabric shade can be:
single-lamp. The frame can be either classically round and have a cylindrical or conical shape, or square and used in modern styles. The lampshade of single-lamp chandeliers is often directed downward. Round models can be decorated with fringes, bows, rhinestones, plastic or wood inserts
Single-lamp models are perfectly combined with floor lamps and table lamps, the lampshades of which are made of the same material and in the same style.
multi-lamp, consisting of 2 or more identical fabric lampshades, which can be directed both up and down. According to the type of fastening, there are both suspended and ceiling
When choosing a chandelier, you can focus on the color of the room and choose a shade that will repeat the color scheme of the surrounding space. But if the chandelier is the main and only source of lighting and the owners want to focus on it, then a contrasting model should be purchased. Each color has its own effect on the light intensity and the general atmosphere of the room:
- black lampshades look stylish, especially in a light-colored room, but they greatly darken the room;
- purples create soft and romantic lighting, provided the fabric is transparent;
- blues and greens give cold light;
- yellows, oranges and reds paint the room in warm colors. Well suited to the nursery;
- bright colors will harmoniously look in modern and country styles;
- dark shades in combination with a strict design and density of fabric are able to create a bright directional luminous flux and will be indispensable in an office or library;
- a print in the form of an ornament or geometric shapes is suitable for modern styles, and with a floral or floral motif - for traditional interiors.
The chandelier lampshade can be sewn by yourself.
This will require:
- wire frame;
- the cloth;
- pencil, ruler, Whatman paper;
- pins, needles and threads;
- universal transparent glue.
- paint the frame and wrap it with cotton fabric tape;
- measure the circumference of the frame, as well as the distance between its two parts - the upper and lower rings;
- draw a drawing on whatman paper. You should get a rectangle in which the lower and upper sides are equal to the circumference, and the side (product height) - the distance between the parts of the structure;
- cut out the template and pin to the seamy side of the fabric with pins around the perimeter;
- circle the piece and from this line make a seam allowance of 2 cm, then cut the pattern along the allowance line;
- gently wrap the allowances inward and iron. After that, remove the paper template;
- process the edges of the workpiece so that they do not crumble;
- fold the fabric in half, right side inward and stitch;
- turn out, put on the frame and glue the upper and lower edges to the rings of the frame, wrapping the fabric through the wire;
- let the glue dry, then decorate the gluing points. The lower part can be decorated with a fringe, the upper part with a fabric ribbon tied with a bow. For the Provencal style, you can use lace instead of fringe and ribbon;
- decorate the surface of the lampshade with rhinestones, buttons, fabric flowers or bows. And for country style, the lampshade can be trimmed with shreds that are sewn on top of the main "cover".
You will learn more about how to make a chandelier with a fabric lampshade in the following video.
Due to the flammability and flammability of materials for chandeliers with fabric shades special requirements are imposed:
- it is forbidden to use incandescent lamps, which are very hot and can lead to deformation or fire of the lampshade;
- it is recommended to use fluorescent or LED lamps, which are absolutely safe and significantly save energy;
- it is forbidden to clean or replace the lampshade when the chandelier is on, as well as independently repair the device connected to the network;
- it is forbidden to use sparklers indoors;
- if moisture accidentally gets on the lampshade, it is forbidden to use the chandelier until it dries completely.
The most famous companies producing chandeliers with fabric shades are:
- Blitz - a German factory that produces chic and stylish models in a wide price range;
- Favorite - a company located in Germany, but using the developments and design solutions of specialists from Italy, Russia and Hong Kong in the production of lampshades, which makes the products popular on the world market;
- Arte Lamp Is an Italian company that produces chandeliers that fully comply with all Russian standards. Factory products are reliable and durable.
Thanks to the variety of fabrics used, a wide color palette and interesting design solutions, chandeliers with textile lampshades do not go out of fashion and are always relevant.