Rubber-based carpet is a popular floor covering due to its practicality, versatility and aesthetic appearance.
Features of the
Latex-based carpets have a number of advantages:
- Easy to care for. Quick and easy cleaning makes the products hygienic and easy to use. And resistance to chemical components of cleaning agents allows you to use any kind of cleaners without harm to the carpet;
- Sound insulation properties coatings help to achieve sound absorption inside the room and not let the noise out. Heat insulation of carpet allows you to solve the problem of cold floors without resorting to expensive options for "warm floors";
- Softness and elasticity. Thanks to the latex foam, the coating allows you to hide minor floor defects and even out small differences in height between the floorboards without the use of a backing;
- Available in rolls which allows you to cover a large area with a single coating without butt joints, and in the form of separate slabs. This allows you to replace only the worn out part without touching the rest of the coating. And thanks to the rubber base, the carpet does not accumulate static electricity;
- The coating cannot be damaged by moths due to its fully synthetic composition. It is not afraid of sunlight, moisture and temperature extremes, so it can be used outdoors;
- Carpet does not absorb odors and does not smell itself. It does not contain natural fibers, therefore it is suitable for people who are allergic to wool;
- The product is a budget option, which is very important when covering large areas.
The disadvantages include the following points: the service life is 10 years, which is less than that of coatings made of other materials, and when one area is abraded, the entire coating must be changed. This is true when using rolls of carpet. The cover has a rather simplified design, therefore it is not very attractive from the point of view of decoration.
The rubberized carpet consists of three layers:
- Lower made of artificial latex or its mixture with rubber, during operation it absorbs. Thanks to this, the upper pile layer is subject to stress and abrasion less than in hard coatings.
- Middle - a connecting layer, consisting of artificial fibers with latex, in which the threads of the pile are fixed. This layer does not allow moisture to be absorbed, absorbing no more than 5%. Thanks to this quality, rubber-based products can be used in high humidity conditions.
- Upper layer - This is an acrylic or polyester pile attached to the middle base. Polypropylene is often used in the production of carpet. Thanks to this material, the heat-conducting properties of the coating are reduced, and the pile layer turns out to be shiny and beautiful.
Latex backed carpets are manufactured in two ways.
Tufting method production is a more common method of production, and consists in the fact that often located needles with ears pierce the middle layer and pull the thread, which on the seamy side is already met by a hook, with which a loop is formed from the thread. Then the lower latex layer is attached to this side with loops, and the pile obtained from the front side is cut to the desired length.
Tufting is an inexpensive technology that allows you to produce budget products, but at the same time high-quality coatings that can compete with carpets in terms of durability and strength.
The longer the threads and the more often the needles are located between themselves, the thicker and denser the pile will be, which increases the performance of the carpet.
Needle-punching method fastening pile threads is cheaper than tufting, and products made by this method do not have such high indicators of wear resistance. The process also uses needles, but of a different shape and size. They do not have ears, but there are serrated notches, due to which the threads are captured and pulled to the wrong side through the middle layer. At the same time, they entangle and the threads are fixed in the base, which is then impregnated with a special compound and, using a press, is connected to the lower latex layer.
Classification of coatings
According to the type of use, rubber-based carpet is:
- Commercial - especially strong and wear-resistant type of coating, which is designed for high traffic and can be used outdoors. It is used in outdoor areas, exhibitions, in cafes, as well as for covering ramps and steps, faced with tiles, which have a slippery surface;
- Domestic. Suitable for rooms with low traffic. The house can be used in the kitchen, hallway, study, bathroom, loggia or balcony. This type of carpet is cheaper than commercial carpet, the density of the pile is not so dense and wear-resistant, but it is quite suitable for rooms with low traffic;
- Semi-commercial - for medium and moderate loads, stronger and more durable than household ones, but inferior in performance to commercial ones. Ideal for offices, registry offices, hotels and gyms. Due to its sound-absorbing properties, it can be used in rooms where silence is required - in the reading room of a library or a chess club, as well as in institutions where sound insulation is required due to the specifics of their work, for example, in a billiard room to muffle the sound of balls or in a gym for training heavy athletics.
How to make a bed yourself?
There are three ways to install rubber carpet:
- Fixed with skirting boards. The easiest way that anyone can do. First of all, you need to empty the room, thoroughly vacuum it and do wet cleaning. Then, when the floor is dry, roll out the carpet and cut off the excess to the size of the room. Next, you need to leave the coating for an hour, which will allow it to finally straighten out. After that, you should fix the plinths around the perimeter of the room, securely fixing the carpet at the same time;
- With glue. After preliminary preparation of the floor, it is required to prime it with a roller using PVA glue or any other suitable for a rubber base. Next, apply glue to the latex carpet layer at the rate of 500 g per square meter. Lay the mat and roll it over with a rubber roller to remove wrinkles. This method requires some experience and is the most difficult and time consuming;
- Using double-sided tape. This method is relevant when covering large areas and requires accuracy and accurate calculation.
You will learn more about how to lay your own carpet in the following video.
Rubber-based carpet can be dry-cleaned or cleaned by yourself. Dry cleaning services are a convenient way to clean large surfaces used in offices, showrooms, clubs, hotels and other non-residential areas. Thanks to the completely artificial structure, the coating perfectly tolerates cleaning with chemical agents, without losing color or deforming.
Cleaning at home is carried out in the case when it is problematic to remove the coating glued or fixed by the baseboards, then you can use foam treatment.
The latex base prevents liquid from seeping onto the floor, and the pile fiber structure is easy to clean and dries quickly.
Manufacturers and prices
Belgium is the leader in the production of rubber backed carpets. Several companies have gained well-deserved fame in the flooring market. Orotex Fashion Star manufactures products in a large assortment and in different price categories. The cost per square meter of carpet starts at 300 rubles.
Companies Ideal, Detroit SC and Can-Can produce floor coverings in a wide color palette and also have a large range. The price per square meter starts at 440 rubles.
Domo - comfortable and reliable products with a huge selection of budget options starting at 250 rubles per square meter.
Beanlien real picasso produces durable and durable office models by needle-punched manufacturing method.
In addition to Belgian manufacturers, there are a number of well-known European companies that produce quality products:
- Ukrainian Sintelon established the production of coatings, materials for which are exported from the best enterprises in Europe. Price per square meter - from 330 rubles;
- Company Condor manufactures durable and beautiful products from Holland, the cost of which starts from 660 rubles per square meter;
- Infloor - a German concern that specializes in the production of commercial type carpets. In the manufacture of pile, nylon and polyamide are used, which gives it additional wear resistance and durability. You can buy such models from 360 rubles per square meter;
- Balsan - a company from France that produces semi-commercial carpet for offices and hotels costing from 250 rubles;
- Associated Weavers Is a European leader producing both economy class products and luxury premium models.
Rubber-based carpet is not a subject of interior decoration, and its aesthetic qualities are secondary.
Its production focuses on its practical and functional properties. But thanks to a wide variety of colors, pile length and density, and a wide price range, even the most demanding customer can choose a product to their liking.