The carpet allows you to give the interior a finished look, gives you warmth, coziness and comfort. If earlier such products were created exclusively from natural materials, today they have been replaced by more practical synthetic options. The most popular are polypropylene carpets.
What it is?
Polypropylene is a modern synthetic fiber used in various industries. This material can be found under the name "olefin". The basis for the creation of fibers is a special granulate obtained from oil refining. There are several types of polypropylene:
- BCF - the cheapest and most short-lived type of fiber obtained in the process of minimally processing waste oil.
- Heat-Set - more expensive fibers, which additionally twist and stretch. The threads look very much like real wool, but they are just as soft and pleasant to the touch.
- Frise - the threads obtained by this technology go through an even longer processing cycle. The result is high quality fibers that are more durable and costlier.
The material has gained popularity due to its availability and many benefits.
Among them, the following stand out:
Hypoallergenic… Some have heard that polypropylene is toxic and unhealthy. This is absolutely not the case. This myth is related to the fact that the material is the result of the processing of oil products. Manufacturers do not hide the fact that this method of fiber extraction is not absolutely harmless to the environment
However, the material is absolutely safe for humans, there are no allergic reactions from it. Even natural carpets made, for example, of wool or acrylic, cause individual intolerance much more often. Good quality polypropylene carpets can be safely laid in a nursery or bedroom. The main thing is to approach the choice of the manufacturer as seriously as possible and not buy very cheap low-quality carpets, which can already really pose a health hazard.
- Availability… Low cost in relation to good quality, practicality and durability - this is why polypropylene products have gained such great popularity. Today carpets made of such threads are presented in a wide range, so that everyone can choose a product that will ideally match the interior. Moreover, such an acquisition will not hit the family budget. Synthetic polypropylene carpets will cost several times cheaper than products made from natural wool, cotton or other materials. However, at its cost, the carpet is only slightly inferior to analogs from natural raw materials.
- Hygroscopicity… The material is moisture and air permeable, does not accumulate dirt in itself. This means that you do not have to worry about mold, fungus or other harmful microorganisms on the product. By the way, moths and dust mites are not attracted to synthetic material, so there will be no parasites on the carpet. In addition, the material does not accumulate static electricity. Children and animals can play on it without any problems or harm.
Unpretentious care. A polypropylene carpet can be easily cleaned of accumulated dust by vacuuming it in just a few minutes. It is important to clean on both sides in order to achieve excellent cleaning results.If a stain appears on the carpet, it can be easily removed with soapy water or any synthetic fiber cleaner. You will not need to purchase special expensive means for cleaning this product, the simplest solutions are enough
Damp the carpet regularly, wash it with shampoo. In this case, even after numerous washes, the product can be compared with a new one. If the carpet is laid in a room with low traffic, it is enough to simply knock it out from time to time or process it with a vacuum cleaner. You don't have to spend a lot of time caring for your carpet. This is especially important in the modern world, when the rhythm of life makes you appreciate literally every free minute.
- Durability… Despite the fact that polypropylene products are inexpensive, they have a long service life. The synthetic material is resistant to wear and tear, does not fade, which means that the colors of the product will delight you with their brightness for many years. Of course, with intensive use and frequent washing (for example, if the carpet is in the hallway), the service life of the product will be somewhat reduced. However, such products are available and you should be able to buy a new carpet without any problems.
- Large selection of style solutions. Products made of synthetic fibers (polypropylene, polyester and other materials) are distinguished by a rich palette of colors. Manufacturers offer a variety of product design options. You can easily find bright, rich monochromatic polypropylene rugs or products made in soothing colors with a restrained pattern. For the children's room, colorful color models with different designs are provided, whether it be images of popular cartoon characters or flowers, games, and more. Everyone can easily find a product that will suit him or her.
If we compare with the number of advantages of similar products, it can be noted that the disadvantages look quite frivolous. However, they are still there. These include:
- Short service life - compared to carpets made from natural materials. Polypropylene products will last you about five or seven years, depending on the features of use. Such a carpet cannot be passed down from generation to generation like traditional Persian materials. However, this does not need to be done. Considering the cost of the product, you can easily buy yourself a new one.
- High temperature instability. Already at one hundred and fifty degrees, the material will begin to melt. This means that it is fire hazardous. However, subject to safety precautions when handling fire, such a factor will never remind you of itself.
Some buyers note that polypropylene carpet does not provide enough warmth. Synthetics are similar to woolen materials, but they won't keep you warm in cold weather. This fact will not be a problem for you if you have a warm floor installed in your house, which is gaining more and more popularity every day.
So, now you know all the main advantages and disadvantages of modern synthetic fiber carpets. This information will help you be objective when choosing a carpet and will help you make the right decision.
How to choose?
When making a purchase, trust only trusted manufacturers. By the way, products from Egyptian manufacturers are very popular today. You should not chase savings and order goods at grand sales at a very low price. Oftentimes, such items are of the appropriate quality and can be a waste of money.
This is especially important if you want to purchase a rug for a nursery. Cheap synthetics can create serious health problems for the child and the rest of the family. Be sure to check with the seller if he has special certificates that confirm the quality of the products.
Having studied a large number of reviews on the Internet, we can safely say that a polypropylene carpet is the most profitable investment. For a small cost, you get a practical, durable, safe and beautiful product.
Synthetic carpets are suitable for absolutely any room. They will become an indispensable attribute of the hallway, while you can quickly and easily clean such a product from street dust and dirt.
For a children's room, polypropylene carpets are just a godsend. The kids will be delighted with the bright canvas. If they very quickly render the carpet unusable, then you can purchase a new one without prejudice to the family budget.
Consumers note the ease of caring for synthetic material. Sometimes it is enough to vacuum it and carry out wet cleaning. The product will retain its original appearance for a long time, and you will not have to spend too much time on caring for it.
Of course, you only need to contact reliable manufacturers. Only in this case it will be possible to avoid disappointment and purchase a product of high quality.
For an overview of polypropylene carpet, see the following video.