Lamps that are mounted on the wall with suspensions are called sconces. These lighting fixtures are capable of transforming any room. To decorate a room, everyone should know how to place a sconce in the interior.
Features and Benefits
Sconces have numerous advantages, which include the following qualities:
- such interior items are characterized by their versatility and wide range of applications;
- wall lamps have convenient control due to the fact that they have built-in switches;
- miniature sizes;
- small weight, which allows installation even on a gypsum plasterboard wall;
- beautiful design and a wide range of shapes along with color schemes of the chandelier;
- this solution allows you to save on electricity.
Sconces are capable of giving light to any living room.
All you need to do is to correctly choose the design of the lamp, which can be harmoniously combined with the interior design.
Despite the many positive qualities, you should familiarize yourself with the disadvantages:
- the installation of a sconce, which is equipped with a built-in switch, should be thought out in advance. Electrical wires must be hidden before finishing;
- in most cases, sconces are bought at the last moment, when the renovation has already been completed. In this case, there is no way to carry out the wiring without damaging the wallpaper. The solution will be to purchase models that are powered from an outlet and have a switch on the wires. Such plafonds do not look so impressive.
When choosing a sconce, you need to know some of the features of their placement:
- for the bathroom, only moisture-proof and sealed models can be used. They are made from materials that are resistant to corrosion. The plafonds of such lamps are as closed as possible. Pay attention to the operating voltage of the bulbs at 12 volts;
- It is recommended to mount wall lamps at a height of 2 meters from the floor level. If your model will sit over a table, place it slightly above the head of a seated person;
- to visually enlarge a narrow room, purchase several shades, placing them at an identical height from the floor level.
The lighting market offers several types of sconces:
- Closed. They have a closed shade made of frosted or transparent glass. In most cases, such models have a small geometric shape. There are flat and volumetric options. Such sconces are used for indoor lighting and are mounted in corridors and bathrooms. You can use the lamp as a night light;
- Decorative sconces are preferable for decorating a room. Such interior items can be made from plastic, glass, crystal and wood parts;
- Sconce of directional light. In their design, there is a swivel lamp, which has an adjustable luminous flux. Often such dimmer models are used for mirrors, next to dressing tables.
Regardless of the type of luminaires, different types of lamps can be installed in them:
- For wall models, bulbs with an E 27 base are used. Energy-saving lamps are used in closed shades, because in open models they will not look so attractive;
- Halogen lamps are often used in wall sconces. They look interesting, but they will require a ballast, along with a voltage reduction transformer.
If we talk about design features, then wall lamps are divided into several types:
- wall-mounted using special brackets with lampshade or shade. Such models attract attention with their original forms and are suitable for design ideas. Some users decide to choose floor models that are installed at floor level and create a spectacular image;
- overhead lamps, which have the appearance of plafonds, fixed end-to-end to the wall. As a rule, such solutions are relevant for the bathroom, but there are other uses, depending on the owner's imagination;
- pendant types of sconces are practically no different from ordinary ones. There are many models available to light up any room;
- corner models belong to the category of the most convenient lighting fixtures. Such devices do not require much space and effectively occupy the corner of the room.
There are also models with a motion sensor for an apartment. Such devices are automatically capable of responding to the appearance of a person in a room. Such a device works on the basis of a built-in sensor that reacts to temperature changes, the smallest fluctuations in the air or changes in the wave background.
The modern lighting market offers its consumers different models that can harmoniously fit into the interior of any room. Most buyers opt for the following options:
- Candle. Such lamps are stunning in their beauty. The shape and color scheme of the model resembles real candlesticks, in which graceful candles are located. Gilding looks good paired with a snow-white case, adding notes of aristocracy and celebration to the design;
- Sconce in the form of a torch are able not only to illuminate the room, but give unique decorative qualities in the room setting. There are many styles in which these lamps are made. These antique models look great in traditional classics, giving the room a mystery and mystery;
- Spots have always attracted the eye with their design. They appeared not so long ago, but immediately took strong positions in their field. Spot is a wall or ceiling sconce that is mounted on a rod or with a bracket;
- In the form of a branch that looks like a floor lamp. Such models are also popular among buyers.
Sconces help to fill the room with "atmospheric" light, in which there is softness, mutedness and romance. You can choose lamps of any color, depending on the design idea, your own preferences and other factors that may influence the purchase.
Black color in sconces is in demand. Such lamps perfectly complement the main lighting, creating complete harmony. White models are often combined with other shades. The priority is pink, gold, green blotches. Splashes of red and blue give a good combination.
If you want wall lamps to act as a backlight for paintings, pay attention to models with a discreet design. In this case, a matt shade is an integral part of the idea.
Copper shades, like gold, are often found in the bedroom. They go well with bronze items and give the room a soft light.
You can choose a blue design that will add a touch of mystery and passion to the room.
Sconces are made from different materials. A wide selection makes it possible to choose lighting fixtures for any interior.
- Wicker rattan sconces amaze with their uniqueness. Palm fibers blend harmoniously with any design idea. Many buyers choose this material because it is environmentally friendly. Rattan brings comfort and warmth to every home.
- the cloth is actively used in lamps with lampshade. They will be appropriate where there is a need for local lighting. Often fabric sconces are installed near the bed, mirrors, paintings. Such material allows not only to illuminate the required area, but also works as a decorative element.
- Plaster wall lamps enjoy high millet in European countries. Gypsum is an excellent dielectric that enhances the safety of your lighting system. At the request of the buyer, these products are delivered unpainted, which makes it possible to operate them without preliminary processing or to paint them in the desired shade.
Metallic lighting is the latest in industrial fashion.
- Metal wall lamp look great in modern rooms, bringing the mood of the future. Such products will be appropriate in the avant-garde interior, in studios and for the "loft" style.
- Copper recreates the atmosphere of the twentieth century. This material allows you to get antique sconces for different rooms. There are many variations of lighting fixtures that accentuate the retro style, giving the room an antique, rich and unique character.
- Ceramics in a sconce can be recreated in a variety of forms. The fixtures will blend harmoniously with many styles. Low price, stylishness and wide choice attract the attention of consumers.
Sconces are divided into different categories, not only based on the design, but also based on the style of the lamp. You should familiarize yourself with the leading lighting styles before buying.
Briefly characterizing the classics, we can say that it is a discreet luxury. Manufacturers offer classic sconces thought out to the smallest detail, which can give a room a sophistication and luxurious interior.
Such lighting devices are in demand not only in residential premises, but also in public places. In most cases, they are used on a small platform, which is a table, chair, mirror.
Classic sconces are suitable for places where bright, but eye-catching lighting is required.
Art Nouveau is characterized by rich forms, materials, and laconic color scheme. As a rule, sconces in this style are made in one color scheme. Some models allow the use of two classic pigments. Such combinations as black and white, gold and white are in demand.
Hi-tech is simplicity of geometric shapes, strict lines and cheap materials. Sconces are made of plastic, steel and aluminum.
Although this style looks minimalistic, it contains original notes that will help zone the room.
Rustic style means several directions at once. These include Provence, Country, Rustic. Country style luminaires are characterized by crude and simple shapes. Wood can be used as a manufacturing material.
Provence attracts attention with flower painting. Grace, delicacy, forged elements - this is also a country-style sconce. Antique stylization is typical for "rustic".
Such lighting fixtures are specially aged to match the overall interior of the room.
Such lamps will be relevant if you want to focus on certain places in the room. They are distinguished by their original technique of performance, which is characterized by a little magic. Multi-colored glasses in the image of sconces, along with rich color schemes, are often used in a similar style.
Sizes and shapes
The sizes and shapes of the sconces amaze imagination with their assortment. There are no restrictions on luminaire models. There are large, small and medium wall mounted appliances. The choice can only be influenced by your preferences and creative intent.
There are also no restrictions on the form. Sconces can have the appearance of a candle, a torch.
There are cone-shaped wall lamps, round and even square models.
When choosing a sconce, pay attention to the manufacturer. Many brands are engaged in the manufacture of lighting fixtures, but few of them were able to win the trust of the audience.
Among the German manufacturers, the company stood out Chiaro… These are premium products made from crystal. F&D's own brand is capable of surpassing Egyptian crystal in quality. It offers a variety of handcrafted models that are not only high quality, but also chic in design
- Maytoni also belongs to a German brand that has been producing lighting fixtures since 2009. A distinctive feature of the sconces from this manufacturer is the use of crystal inserts. The company's products are in great demand, since the products are distinguished by the originality of solutions, an affordable price category and high quality parts.
- Standing out among Italian brands St luce … The manufacturer has been on the lighting equipment market for over 15 years and pleases its customers with high-quality sconces based on modern technologies. The brand has become recognizable as the company uses bold colors, original shapes and patterns for its fixtures.
- Chinese companies are also ready to compete in the lighting market. Among these trademarks is the brand Omnilux, the assortment of which is striking in its variety and favorable prices. The sconces of this brand are made in China and are famous for their high quality, due to which it is convenient to work with them.
- Czech sconces are represented by the company Elite bohemia … The manufacturer produces quality sconces with rich and sophisticated designs. The company has been operating in the lighting market for over 20 years and has been able to prove itself as a reliable manufacturer of sconces.
The following trade marks represent the domestic market: "Northern Light", "Photon", "Lamp". Each of them boasts a wide assortment, affordable prices and good quality.
Examples in the interior
In most modern apartments, designers suggest using wall sconces, because only these lighting fixtures create diffuse and soft light. Such lighting will be relevant for any room.
In the bedroom
In order to bring comfort to the room, which will contribute to a pleasant sleep and comfortable rest, you should carefully consider the interior of the room. A sconce will help create the right atmosphere. As a rule, it is placed above the bed. When choosing this item, remember that either spouse must be able to freely turn off the light on their side of the bed. The wall lights above the headboard are decorative.
If there is a single bed in the room, installation can be carried out not only at the headboard, but also from the side.
Regardless of the location, the lamps always look nice and are easy to use.
Decoration of stairs, corridor
The sconce looks spectacular in the corridor and on the stairs. Such items successfully decorate staircases and narrow rooms, contributing to the creation of a harmonious interior.
If you have empty walls in your hallway, equipping wall lamps at human height would be the best option. Many apartment owners install sconces around the edges of mirrors and paintings. Such a solution can significantly transform the interior of the room.
In the living room
Lighting fixtures look good on the wall, next to which the sofa is located. In the matter of transforming the living room, an option with multi-colored lamps on the wall can help. Lighting fixtures above the armchair with a coffee table will highlight this area.
On the balcony
Wall lamps should be chosen for the balcony. If your room was not glazed, there is moisture in it, choose closed sconces. They will be able to withstand temperature extremes and high humidity.
Wall-mounted fixtures can be helpful in fixing flaws that are associated with home layout. If your room has a low ceiling, it won't look like a large chandelier. An upward-facing sconce would be the best solution.
With the help of a sconce, you can select the desired areas of the room. If your bedroom is combined with a living room, lighting design will help in zoning. It consists in installing several wall lamps, which will be symmetrically positioned on the wall of the living room.
When all appliances are turned on, the second half of the room will become darkened and invisible.?
You will learn more about the use of wall sconces in the interior in the following video.