If you decide to change your carpet, but cannot decide on the choice, pay your attention to the bamboo product. This is a very unusual accessory that combines both natural and artificial ingredients.
The thing is that it is made entirely from natural raw materials - bamboo cellulose, but by chemical means. Therefore, a bamboo carpet is called artificial, but by no means synthetic. We can say that it is the most natural of all artificial.
Bamboo in nature
Bamboo is a perennial. His homeland is East Asia, but in the modern world he continues to explore new spaces. This is a plant with the longest woody stem of a greenish color with a bunch of leaves and flowers at the top. It reaches a height of 40 meters, in a day it can add 2m in height.
This cereal (namely, it belongs to this family) easily resists the sun and moisture. Its stems contain silicon dioxide. This makes it so durable that its shoots can pierce stone.
This plant is also endowed with antibacterial action thanks to the substance bamboo ban, which is not destroyed even when processing bamboo fiber. Due to the porous structure of the stem, this plant has excellent ventilation. Considering all these incredible properties, the carpet from it has a lot of positive qualities.
There are 2 options for creating bamboo rugs. At the same time, they turn out to be completely different in appearance, but retain all their properties.
Option 1 is a slatted rug, or a mat. Slats are made from bamboo trunks. Sometimes pressed bamboo or thin trunks are used. These boards are polished in production to remove flaws, to make them perfectly even and smooth. It is important that the planks are the same length. Then they are fastened with threads so that there are no gaps between them, and they are trimmed with fabric around the perimeter so that the slats are fastened more firmly. They are placed on a fabric base, which must be rubberized. This is to ensure that the product does not slip on the floor. Then they can be varnished or stained.
Such rugs are rectangular, square, and also in the form of a polyhedron. They can not only be laid on the floor, but also decorate the walls with them. These planks are moisture resistant, so they are ideal for the bathroom.
They are also used for yoga practice, as dish holders and even for making sushi.
Option 2 - weaving a floor accessory from bamboo yarn. It is produced in 2 ways:
- fiber making with added enzymes - special enzymes. At the same time, no chemicals are used, that is, the process is completely natural, but expensive;
- chemical method: bamboo leaves and stems are crushed, grind into a homogeneous mass. Then soaked in a soda solution at a temperature of 25 ° C until cellulose is formed from this mass. The soda is evaporated, the cellulose is crushed and dried. A couple of compounds are added to the resulting "cocktail" and passed through filters. Under the influence of acid, the belts passed through the filter turn into hardened fibers. These are the threads of the yarn. This method is the most common and affordable.
The extraction of bamboo fiber is similar to the production of viscose. Because of this, it is also called bamboo silk. Bamboo rugs made by weaving from yarn have a fleecy structure. Moreover, the pile can be:
- short: good to use in the corridor - the most walkable place, as it needs less maintenance;
- medium: good for a child's room;
- long: such a product will perfectly fit into the interior of the bedroom. Requires increased attention and care.
The density can also vary. It depends on the frequency of the location of the villi. The higher this indicator, the clearer the pattern the product has.
Too high a density is not recommended: the carpet can lose its softness and put on weight.
Bamboo rugs, like any thing, have their pros and cons. First, about the good:
- antibacterial effect: thanks to the substance bamboo ban, bacteria that get on its surface are killed. Also, ticks and other insects will never start in it;
- hypoallergenic: bamboo carpet is 100% natural fiber, which will prevent the development of allergies;
- strength, durability;
- air permeability and thermal insulation: due to the porous structure, the product is well ventilated, and at low room temperatures it is able to retain heat;
- environmental friendliness: bamboo grows very quickly in nature, so there is no need to stuff it with chemicals to accelerate its growth;
- hygroscopicity: it absorbs moisture well with its increased content in the air, and with a lack - it gives off;
- carpet products of this type retain their original appearance for a long time;
- affordable price: when a bamboo trunk is cut down, its root system is not damaged. This enables the plant to recover quickly. Therefore, there is no shortage of bamboo raw materials. The exception is handmade products, but here the price rises for the manufacturer's labor;
- does not generate static voltage;
- unlike other artificial carpets, it is fire resistant;
- has a beautiful natural shine.
And just one drawback: if you have chosen a high density, long pile carpet for your home, be prepared for the fact that he's pretty heavy and it won't be easy to move it.
It should be noted that having such a list of properties, this bamboo accessory does not need additives to enhance its qualities. He does an excellent job with all the tasks himself.
In general, products made from natural fibers are quite capricious and require delicate care. But bamboo is an exception to the rule. According to consumer reviews, he is completely picky in maintenance, almost all types of cleaning are suitable for him. Due to their moisture resistance, bamboo carpets are not afraid of water, and good air permeability does not allow a large amount of dust to accumulate. It is important to know that there are several types of cleaning them:
- supportive: suitable for daily care. This is the collection of debris, dust with a vacuum cleaner, soft brush or even a broom;
- intermediate: used to update in overwritten places. Carried out with dry or wet foam;
- main: applied 1-2 times a year. Removes deep dirt. It is carried out using jet extraction, that is, using special machines or shampoo with a brush.
The mats do not require any special maintenance at all. It is enough to wipe them with a damp cloth. Adhere to all cleaning steps and you will keep your rug looking for a long time.
A bamboo rug is a decent choice for your home. Possessing many useful properties, it will serve you faithfully for many years and will become an irreplaceable part of your interior.
See below for more details.