Nothing tells about the owners of the apartment like its design. The first thing that catches your eye and often leaves an indelible impression is the design of the hallway. It is impossible to imagine it without soft paths that protect the flooring from dirt, dust and mechanical damage. However, few people know that carpet runners in the hallway require a special choice, having a number of differences from ordinary carpets.
Carpet runners are not only functional floor accessories. They ennoble the interior of the hallway, create an atmosphere of home comfort and perform several tasks:
- make the floor surface warm;
- with the right choice of color and width, they visually increase the space of the hallway;
- are an unobtrusive accent of style, harmoniously connecting individual interior items through color, pattern, texture;
- change the "temperature" of the room, making the general background inviting and attuning to the desired mood.
Features of the
Hallway carpets - a separate line of narrow width carpets. They are made on a different basis, however, unlike classic carpets, they are not zonal rugs, therefore they are purchased taking into account the total area or its length. An important nuance: carpets and rugs at the door are different floor coverings with different functionality.
Entryway walkways are not designed to collect dust and dirt - this is the task of door mats.
Such products are unique and have a number of features and benefits. They:
- are made from modern raw materials of natural and synthetic origin;
- differ in length and width, if desired, covering a large area of space;
- trap dust, sand and moisture passed after the door rug, preventing it from spreading further;
- depending on the type of fibers and their composition, they can have a moisture-repellent impregnation and protection from dirt, which prolongs the presentable appearance and resistance to wear;
- are carried out in a massive way on automated equipment or manually at home using improvised means;
- have a colorful color palette that allows you to fit the coating as well as possible without interrupting the overall design idea;
- look good in the corridor and, depending on the layout of the dwelling, can be a connecting element of the design of two rooms (for example, an entrance hall and a living room, an entrance hall and a kitchen);
- based on the structure of the fibers, they can have different heights and density of the pile, being selected taking into account the shape and structure of the existing interior items;
- unlike traditional carpets, they do not have a complete pattern or plot;
- in most cases, they have clear and strict lines, they can be with an aging effect, they are suitable for different styles of the room.
- carpets in the hallway are distinguished by a democratic cost.
Due to this, they can be changed more often than carpets in rooms, based on the layout of the room, laying in the center or against the wall.
Alas, carpet runners are not practical floor coverings. Although they are produced for high traffic areas, in most cases they quickly lose their original attractiveness and require frequent cleaning, collecting dust, sand and moisture.
Unfortunately, not all types of paths are suitable for the hallway. Since the pile can make it difficult to clean, it should be of a minimum length, which looks somewhat rustic against the general background and can spoil the elite design of the room. When buying models with a longer length, they look beautiful only at the beginning of operation, very quickly demonstrating the most passable zones, forming pile wrinkles and untidiness.
The purchase of such products should be thorough and taking into account all the nuances of operation.
Patterns and color
Carpet tracks in most cases have a pattern: bright edging in the form of stripes, geometric, floral prints, classic carpet designs. Of course, the choice cannot be called particularly diverse, but more often the assortment allows you to choose an option taking into account the coincidence of color.
The color palette of carpet runners is varied. The creepy red and black combinations are a thing of the past: the focus is on natural tones, soft contrasts and muted saturation. Favorite shades of the season are products made in sand, gray, contrasts of burgundy, brown and beige, olive, orange, blue and beige.
The play of contrasts and colorful patterns extend the service life.
Some models perform in iridescent tone transitions, dividing the track into fragments. Others adhere to the classics, the Italian direction of design, while others give off the spirit of Soviet times. Conventionally, all types of coatings can be divided into three categories:
- classic - models with a plain middle, bordered with colorful patterns along the edges;
- Kremlin - traditional products, the area of the canvas which is completely filled with the pattern (both the middle and the edges);
- modern - modern paths in the form of a solid canvas without borders, edging, having a pattern in the form of a material texture (monochromatic or fragmentary models).
In addition to the usual shape, today you can buy tracks with a curly edge - exclusive hand-made products.
The tracks are made using needle-punched, typing and weaving methods. The base is an important component of carpet runners. Usually it is quite dense and is made from:
When buying, experts recommend paying great attention not only to the pile, but also to the base, because if it is loose and of poor quality, the track will quickly become unusable, losing the villi day after day.
The ideal option for the hallway carpet is considered rubber-based product. Compared to its counterparts, the rubberized base ideally protects the floor surface from dirt and moisture, although such models are limited in design.
Floor tracks on a jute or felt base are more varied in color and do not always have clearly defined borders on the sides, which visually reduce the space of the hallway. The structure of these models is quite dense, they have excellent sound insulation and thermal conductivity. Models on a felt base are not afraid of wet cleaning, such a base perfectly repels dust. Jute mats do not accept wet care, as this can provoke material delamination and the appearance of mold. And since the structure itself is quite rigid, it can damage the surface of the floor covering.
Simply put, rubber-based carpet runners are more practical, cheaper, but boring in most cases. Variants of natural material on felt or jute are more expensive, more presentable, but not practical.
Homespun and knitted patterns
As practice shows, the paths created at home on a loom using the technology of production analogs are of great practicality and, in terms of performance, stand out favorably against the background of mass analogs. A Belgian mat, a mat, created by the hands of skilled craftswomen, look quite stylish, although they are much more expensive than purchased products. For this reason, do-it-yourself models have come into use. Moreover, in most cases these are not simple knitted mats according to the principle of knitting a scarf: these are unique creative coatings that set the tone for the interior.
They can be strictly functional or performed as an additional touch to the interior, differ in simplicity or pretentiousness of style, supplemented with fringe, finishing cord or other decorative elements (relevant for home-made products).
Basically, carpet runners are made from virgin wool, cotton, polyamide, vinyl with piled pile and polypropylene. Each type of raw material has strengths and weaknesses, differs in different resistance to deformation, the effects of various kinds of microorganisms. The downside of all materials is the likelihood of tarnishing under the sun's rays (important for hallways bathed in the sun).
The wool used in the production of tracks is environmentally friendly, able to retain heat (has a low thermal conductivity). However, in most cases, such products are difficult to maintain and react to every touch of cleaning agents, changing the structure of the material.
Compared to synthetics, this material can cause an allergic reaction, no matter where it is located in the house.
When buying a carpet in the hallway, it is worth considering a number of nuances: the service life depends on this, the protection of the floor surface from abrasion, and ease of maintenance.
The main selection rule is the density of the floor covering. The higher it is, the better and more durable the track. You can check this indicator by translucent: if the base has no cracks, the pile is dense, then the carpet is of high quality.
This can also be judged by the large number of knots on the back.
And finally, it is worth considering a few tips that will help you get what you need:
- the color of the carpet should be not only appropriate, but also practical;
- you should not invest a large sum in the product: such products are changed more often than ordinary carpets (with the exception of the bedroom track);
- if it is difficult to resist buying a long-pile model, it is better to take a closer look at the option made of coarse fibers (they are more resistant to cleaning);
- you should not choose a product full of ornaments: this will simplify the overall appearance of the hallway;
- colors in small stripes ripple in the eyes, so they risk quickly becoming an annoying piece of furniture;
- if there are a lot of bright objects in the hallway, the print of the product should be calm, if possible without variegation;
- if the room is dark, cold and gray shades should be avoided;
- the best option for a material for a hallway that will not be capricious in care is synthetics;
- if the style of the rooms allows, you can buy several tracks, thereby creating a set of them, extending the floor decoration from the hallway to the bedroom, living room or nursery;
- if there is a pet in the house, you should not buy a model with a large pile: removing wool from the surface of such a product is very problematic;
- thin knitted models for the hallway are not suitable: they will constantly gather in a heap;
- if you want to decorate a room with a handmade product, its base should be rough.
You will learn more about carpet runners in the following video.