To choose a chandelier for a children's room, you need to take into account the basic requirements for models, the features of the room for children, as well as the taste of a young family member. Based on simple rules, you will quickly find the right option.
Features of the
A chandelier for a children's room is a rather expensive purchase. This is due to the fact that developing models for the bedroom for a child takes more time and money than for adults. Luminaires for children are subjected to many tests, which show that the products are safe for the child, do not emit harmful substances during heating, are not capable of injuring the baby, and so on.
They produce a lot of different options: for toddlers, preschool children, schoolchildren and teenagers. They also differ in gender. Models for a girl or girl are significantly different from lamps for a boy or a boy of the same age.
A lot of different ceiling models are produced for both boys and girls. They are selected depending on the size of the room and the height of the ceiling, they come in various configurations and dimensions.
The predominance of bright colors is another feature of children's lamps. You will not find such an abundance of pink, yellow, orange, green and other saturated shades in any "adult" version. Often there are figured models made in the form of various gizmos: a pirate ship, a sun, a basketball basket with a ceiling ball. Nothing holds back the designer's imagination.
Remember that different colors affect a child's nervous system in different ways, so brightness is the most important thing. To keep the child cheerful and active, chandeliers are available in such rich colors.
Children's models are made from environmentally friendly materials, be it plastic or fabric.
They are impregnated or treated with additional compounds that prevent the accumulation of dust, so as not to cause allergies in the child. Caring for children's chandeliers is usually required more thorough, therefore, conscientious manufacturers, who have proven themselves, try to make the work of the hostess as easy as possible with the help of such processing.
Many factors influence the appearance of a chandelier. In particular, one of them is the thematic filling of the room. If your child wants to furnish a room in a pirate style, it is hardly worth buying a chandelier with a twisted flower shade. It would be much more logical to choose a model in the form of a scroll, a pirate ship or a cartoon skull with a bandage over one eye.
Before installing the chandelier, you need to pay attention to its electrical component. As a rule, high-quality models are equipped with an additional safety element against short circuits, power surges, and fire. This is done to improve safety. If the option you choose is equipped with additional protection, this is a huge plus.
There are several classifications of children's ceiling lamps according to various criteria. Each such sign is important and helps with the correct choice of an individual suitable option.
By fastening design:
- Suspended. The most common type, especially in rooms with high ceilings. It is presented in many variations of both the suspension element itself (cord, rod) and the configuration of the luminaire itself.
- Overhead. The tablet ceiling chandelier got a new lease of life when designers began to depict various patterns on it. Light, passing through a brightly decorated chandelier, creates unusual projections: the sky with clouds, animals, and so on.
- Built-in. Spotlights rarely act as the main lighting element, but they are often supplemented with pendant or overhead models when they do not sufficiently illuminate the entire area of the room. Usually, LED spotlights are used, less often energy-saving bulbs.
By the number of bulbs:
- Single-lamp. One very bright light source is selected that provides enough light for the entire room. It is usually complemented by spot lighting.
- Multi-lamp. They are chosen more often than single-lamp models, due to their greater brightness and an abundance of design solutions. Multi-arm chandeliers have a fairly large diameter and are able to illuminate a larger space.
If possible, adjust the lighting level:
- Constant light. There is no lighting control.
- Adjustable light. As a rule, it is possible to change not only the intensity of the light, but also its color. These models come complete with a remote control or built-in dimmer, which simultaneously serves as a switch.
By age and gender:
- For babies. There is no separation at this stage.
- For preschool girls. Vivid educational options with girly heroes, animals and so on.
- For preschool boys. Bright educational options for "boy" colors and themes.
- For girls of school age. Bright decorative options with themes and patterns for girls.
- For boys of school age. Saturated colors are not always used, especially when it comes to sports-themed models.
- For girls. Delicate neutral models, close to the classic representatives of the chosen style.
- For young men. Presented mainly in dark colors and brutal designs, they are available in metal or plastic.
This division is rather arbitrary due to the fact that it is impossible to take into account all the points.
The most important thing is to decide on each of the above classifications, and it will become much easier to make a choice.
The correct choice of color is one of the fundamental points that help preserve the energy of the baby, dispel his sadness and longing, make the room cozier, more dynamic, and livelier. To begin with, it's worth dwelling on the light temperature.
The temperature of the light is responsible for the color of the light. Traditionally, the choice is made in favor of 2700K - a warm yellow glow, but for a nursery it is best to choose a neutral white 4000K, refracting it with the help of the chosen shades.
If we talk about the color of the chandelier itself, then the options here vary significantly.
They depend both on the gender of the child and on the style and theme of the room and its size:
- For babies, the color should not be too bright, this will affect the quality of the child's sleep. It is best to choose models of neutral tones: beige, gray. A white chandelier is a good choice if it sits on a similarly white ceiling. In the case of the smallest ones, try to choose a ceiling lamp in the same color as the ceiling.
- Boys are encouraged to opt for chandeliers in true "masculine" colors. Dark green, blue, red look good both solo and with additional decorations. Regardless of the color choices, the fixtures should still be fun.
- For a girl, pink, yellow, lilac are suitable. Depending on age and hobbies, you can supplement the chandelier with figurines of fabulous animals, fairies, stars, suns and so on.
- Teenage models are kept in more muted tones to help the child relax before bed.
When choosing multi-color models, especially in the bright spectrum, pay attention to the colors being harmoniously combined with each other. Almost any color can be combined with white.
For bright shades, the following combinations are most favorable:
- Aquamarine and light gray;
- Pistachio and beige;
- Canary and dark brown;
- Crimson and dark blue;
- Bright yellow and pale blue;
- Blue-gray and turquoise;
- Purple and light khaki;
- Hot pink and delicate light green;
- Orange and aqua;
- Sunny yellow and emerald green.
If more than two colors are chosen for the lamp, it is recommended to adhere to the following rule: combine warm shades with warm, cold - with cold. Remember that warm colors are preferred for children's bedrooms.
Shapes and models
The variety of different configurations of ceiling lights will make anyone feel lost. To make the only right choice, rely on your taste and the wishes of the child. The following ideas will also help you.
- For a theme in the spirit of adventurers or pirates, a chandelier in the form of one of the characteristic objects will fit in: a chest, a scroll with a map, a ship. Models with painted objects are also suitable: with parrots, gold coins, a pirate flag.
- The cloud lamp can be either solid material or batting. It is suitable for a room whose main theme is aeronautics or airplanes.
- If the room is stylized under the theme of "space", instead of a chandelier in the classical sense, you can organize a mobile, where the sun or planet Earth is the central lighting element, and either other planets of the solar system or the Moon revolve around.
- If your child is a fan of sports, ceiling lamps in the form of sports equipment will delight him: a soccer ball, a hockey puck and the like.
- Many boys love the cartoon Cars. If your child is one of those, he will love the chandelier with typewriters. They can be either suspended or painted.
- Girls are delighted with cute things, including those on the ceiling. The painted owlets on the lamp are just what you need. Chandeliers with birds are one of the most popular among girls. These can be models with parrots, with fabulous birds from your child's favorite cartoons, and so on.
- An overhead lamp with clouds is an interesting idea. At the same time, realism is not the main thing: the sky background can be either a classic blue shade, or pink, yellow and others.
- Hanging umbrellas are a rather risky idea, since such a solution is not suitable for every topic. If you've styled the girl's room to look like a Winnie the Pooh cartoon, that might be a reference to the scene in question.
- The space theme can be used in a rather selective way in a girl's bedroom. For example, an overhead sun chandelier is perfect for this. Most often, they buy models in which the sun has a smiling face, but you can also buy a simple monochromatic chandelier with rays
- Mobile lights are very popular for girly nurseries. The hanging element is made in the form of a bee, butterfly, fish - roughly speaking, any cute creatures.
- The rainbow chandelier is made by analogy with the boyish models of sports balls. The rainbow can be supplemented with clouds, fairies, birds.
- Balloons are a great choice for multi-bulb chandeliers. Such a bundle of balls will create a festive mood all year round.
Talking about style is more appropriate in relation to a teenage room, because for a children's bedroom it is more correct to take care of safety, brightness and absolute compliance with the child's wishes. In adolescence, children try to express themselves, choosing a style that fully reflects their inner world.
Most often, the choice of boys falls on modern trends: "loft", "high-tech", "modern". For girls, everything is exactly the opposite: Provence and classic are the most typical choice. However, in their pure form, styles are practically not used. The younger generation strives to bring something of their own into them: things and decor that will emphasize their individuality.
A chandelier is just an element that does not have to fully correspond to the chosen stylistic direction. You can experiment with color, shape, materials. We must not forget that the color should still remain sufficiently restrained, not flashy. If you need to put a color accent, choose a complex deep shade: aquamarine, classic red, medium yellow-green.
For a small room with low ceilings, you cannot choose a pendant model. Not only will it interfere with walking, such a chandelier also focuses on the insufficient height of the room. It is best to focus on the overhead design. Depending on the area of the room, the chandelier can be large or small.
It is not necessary to use only a chandelier. An interesting and functional solution will be the use of spot lighting. Additionally, this will help to divide the room into zones: working, sleeping and playing.
For long, narrow rooms, go for tire track models. They can be hung under the very ceiling, or they can be installed low enough (typical for the "loft" style). If you equip the bus with spotlights, you will be able to regulate the degree of illumination of a particular area.
If your growing child has chosen a chandelier without a lampshade, it is optimal to purchase frosted glass bulbs. They will gently disperse the light without harming the eyes of the young family member. Such models are perfect for glossy ceilings. The ceiling reflects the light, enhancing the light in the room.
How to choose?
Increased requirements are imposed on chandeliers in the baby's room. The main one is safety. Safe models should not be easily flammable, be made of toxic or fragile substances. If you have chosen a chandelier with an abundance of small details, make sure that the child cannot reach it in any way, otherwise negative consequences cannot be avoided.
In addition to the safety of the chandelier itself, the light must also be safe. The preferred choice of soft, but diffused lighting, not harmful to the eyes of the child. It is advisable to equip the luminaire with a dimmer so that it is possible to adjust the lighting level.
Often, a ceiling chandelier is the only lighting fixture in a room, aside from a table lamp on your desk.
Pay attention to the lighting area: it is necessary that every corner of the room is sufficiently lit. If the chosen chandelier does not meet the required parameters, supplement it with spotlights or wall lamps.
Separately, it is worth talking about the choice of bulbs. Remember that halogen is not the best choice. If damaged, they release a poisonous gas that can seriously harm a child's health. The best choice is LED light sources. Despite the high price (up to 1000 rubles per piece), they are much brighter than conventional ones, while consuming several times less electricity and are distinguished by unprecedented durability - up to 15 years of service.
Pay attention to the ripple index as well. It is desirable that it be kept at less than 10%. Despite the fact that the pulsation of the light flux is practically invisible to the naked eye, its consequences are rapid fatigue, reduced performance, headaches, and suppressed states. For a child, each of the listed points is harmful in particular.
The age of the child must also be taken into account. A ceiling lamp for a teenager and a preschooler is unlikely to be the same.
It is customary to divide four age categories:
- 0 to 1 year old;
- 1 to 7 years old;
- 7 to 13 years old;
- From 13 years old (adolescence).
For babies, choose models of neutral colors that will not greatly occupy the child and distract him from sleep. In this case, the most important thing is to monitor the quality of the material from which the chandelier is made.
For the next age period, bright models are best suited. At this stage, it is time for gender divisions: for girls, they choose models in female colors (pink, yellow), and for boys, in male colors (blue, blue, green). An excellent choice would be developing multi-colored models of lamps, for example, with letters or with butterflies.
For a student, you need to buy not so children's models. It is good if you consult with your child, find out what exactly he wants. Perhaps he will ask for a classic lamp, although most likely his choice will fall on a model that meets his interests. For a girl, it can be a mobile with butterflies or suns that rotate and shimmer. For boys - a lamp in the shape of a ball or a miniature airplane.
It's time for a teenager to choose a completely adult lamp, but it is very important that the child chooses a chandelier on his own. Otherwise, it may happen that he or she is uncomfortable in such a room. The choice of a child model is no longer appropriate due to the age of the child.
You should not buy a chandelier "for growth", trying to save money.
Remember, after all, a child has only one childhood, and your task is to make him the happiest time possible.
Beautiful examples in the interior
In girls' bedrooms, it is popular to use pendant long models made up of various objects. In this case, the chandelier is made up of beautiful multi-colored glass, hung in a certain order. Despite the fact that the chandelier is quite long, it is out of the reach of the preschooler.
No boy in the world will give up the opportunity to have his own plane. You can please your child if you choose a chandelier in the form of a miniature fighter jet. In terms of the lighting created, this multi-lamp chandelier is not inferior to classical models, but looks much more interesting and unusual.
A bunch of bright plafonds is a popular solution for a schoolchild's bedroom. They can also be used in adolescence, the colorful yellow color does not let the child get bored in such a room. The chandelier does not create a sufficient level of illumination, so it was supplemented with spotlights and an LED ring.
An unusual pendant chandelier in neutral white is great for a teenage girl's bedroom. It has a rather interesting design, and at the same time resonates with the surrounding space. Since the room is quite large, such a large shade does not look too flashy in it.
For the rooms of newborns, it is customary to choose neutral options. This wicker pendant lamp is not only made in a neutral color, but also made of a completely environmentally friendly material - wood. The fanciful form of the structure makes the room stylish, despite the overall simplicity of the decor.
In a bedroom for two children, it is recommended to buy a lamp that is more suitable for the decor of the room, especially if the opinions of the children on the desired model are divided. This will help not to offend any of them. An interesting forged design will certainly appeal to both boys, even if at first they don't admit it.
A pendant chandelier for a teenage room can be made independently from an old globe, you only need basic knowledge in electronics. Such activities bring children closer to their parents.
You will learn more about chandeliers for a children's room in the following video.