Knitted rugs in the interior look stylish and original. A huge selection of materials and shapes will allow you to create a truly unique product. Even those with minimal knitting experience can easily decorate their interior with a knitted product, but before starting work, it is worth studying some important points.
Types and form
A knitted rug will easily cover the cold floor and decorate the room, make the room more comfortable and homey. The choice of forms and types is large enough that it will allow you to choose the ideal option for the interior. The carpet is most often crocheted. Such a product is suitable for beginners in knitting. The easiest to execute is the one-piece model. You can easily knit any size rug like this.
If you already have experience with crocheting, then consider models of knitted rugs from the motives:
- For the living room a rug made of round motifs will do. The product will consist of circles of different or identical sizes, connected to each other. With a certain skill level, you can create a square effect;
- For bathroom and toilet Hexagonal pattern rugs are preferred. Such a product is very delicate and light;
- As for the nursery, then it is worth choosing a rug with arcs. Tie circles from bright multi-colored yarn, combine into one large rug and complement the product with rainbow semicircles. The rug will look very original and colorful.
Simple carpet round shape retains heat well, the fabric when knitting turns out to be dense and solid. Basically, for a round shape, crochet without crochet or knitting is used. Openwork carpets look airy and graceful. They retain heat less and are not suitable for a child's room, as they are too thin.
Such a rug serves more as a decorative element.
Square rug it looks more interesting if you start knitting it from the center of the round shape. The square shape is suitable for small spaces, it is the most unpopular. A carpet of several squares looks more stylish. For example, they can be of different colors of yarn.
Oval rug ideal for elongated and elongated rooms. It is also knitted with single crochet or crochet stitches. For a denser product, you should choose knitting without a crochet. When knitting with a crochet, the optimal solution would be to use a diagonal sequence with a color change. The rectangular shape of the rug is the most common. Usually it is knitted with alternating shades of yarn. A common option for decorating such a product are tassels around the perimeter of the carpet. They are easy to make from leftover yarn. You can use the option of stitching finished knitted squares together.
For a child's room, knit a play area rug. The shape can be round, rectangular or unusual. For example, in the shape of a flower.
It is worth choosing a dense material for the convenience of the child. On a small rug, the baby will be comfortable to sit and play. To create a large rug, it is worth stocking up on special patience and perseverance. The room for creating such a carpet should be spacious. For knitting a large size product, it is preferable to choose a rectangular or round shape. For a semicircular carpet, a place near the interior doors or by the stairs is suitable. The opinion that they are suitable for the front door is wrong. The product here will become unusable very quickly.
The choice of material for knitting a rug is quite diverse. When choosing yarn, first of all focus on the room. For example, only natural wool is suitable for the bathroom and toilet, because synthetics will slip a lot. In the first place in popularity are polyester cord rugs. Such a carpet is resistant to moisture, has a massage effect and does not collect dust. A polyester cord rug is suitable for any room, from a narrow corridor to a bathroom.
The surface with relief and roughness will also appeal to children. In addition, it is environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic.
The synthetic material holds its shape perfectly, it is easy to create even the most difficult patterns on it. Polyester cord comes in a wide variety of colors and shades, so you can easily find the perfect option for your interior. The polyester cord carpet is deformation-resistant and highly wear-resistant. This is due to the presence of a thin fiber inside the cord. This rug is easy to clean and wash. Machine wash in water no more than 30 degrees.
The second place among the material for rugs is jute. It is a herbaceous plant from the tropics and can be found in areas of Asia, India and Bangladesh. This rug is 100% natural and environmentally friendly. The surface of the jute rug is silky, with a slight sheen.
It holds its shape perfectly, is quite dense, does not lend itself to slipping. Ideal for a child's room.
Its feature is high hygroscopicity. This is why it cannot be used in a bathroom or washroom. When wet, it becomes more than its weight, dries for a long time. Vacuum cleaning is recommended for maintenance.
The following types of materials can also be used for a knitted rug:
- Wool. It holds its shape well, retains heat, and resists slipping. Wool can be camel, sheep, goat. If you are choosing yarn for the nursery, then first make sure that it does not cause allergies. Moisture is contraindicated for a wool rug. Another disadvantage is its high price;
- Special thick yarn for rugs. It is easy to find in specialized stores. A few skeins are enough for a medium sized rug. For knitting, you will also need large volume knitting needles. The product is very soft, springy;
- The cloth. Fabric rugs are bright and original. If you have old T-shirts, bedding, or just leftover fabric, you can easily create knitted yarns out of them. Cut the fabric into long rags. This method will help create a truly unique product;
- Long pile rug. It is very easy to make it from yarn leftovers. For manufacturing, you will need cardboard for blanks, threads of different colors;
- Ribbon yarn. This yarn is quite thick - from 7 to 9 mm. The product turns out to be dense and keeps its shape well. Due to its large size, the rug knits very quickly.
When it comes to colors, avoid pastel light colors. Such a rug will quickly lose its attractive appearance. For small rugs, you can choose acrylic or semi-woolen yarn. For large carpets, use rope, fabric, thick yarn.
Advantages and disadvantages
A knitted rug has certain advantages and disadvantages. Pay attention to the main ones.
- Unique design. You can choose your own shade, pattern and shape of the product. Such a rug will be a manifestation of your taste and imagination;
- Low yarn consumption. In order to create a medium-sized rug, you only need two skeins of yarn;
- Enjoy your work. When creating your product, you relax and spend time with your favorite hobby;
- Unnecessary things turn into useful ones. Old T-shirts or curtains easily turn into a new piece of furniture;
- Easy maintenance. Basically, the material for rugs is unpretentious.It is easy to take care of it at home.
- Long creation process. Be prepared to spend several hours, or maybe several days, on the product;
- Unexpected result. You may follow all the guidelines for choosing a yarn or knitting pattern, but the chances are good that you will get the wrong result. In addition, very often it is not known how water can affect the material;
- Short service life. A knitted rug is not a product that will last for many years. Even with careful handling, it can easily lose its attractive appearance.
A knitted rug is perfect for a shabby chic room. Literally translated, it means "shabby chic". The style is characterized by specially worn, vintage or slightly faded items. The colors in such an interior are calm, small drawings prevail, most often on a floral theme.
An openwork rug is perfect for such a room. It can be paired with knitted cushion covers or a blanket draped over a chair.
Use pale pink, light blue, white, beige. These colors are not recommended for knitted rugs, but they are perfect for this style. To maintain the overall style of the room, openwork knitted napkins or furniture covers are suitable. The carpet can be with difficult patterns, various weaves.
For a more contemporary design, consider a polyester cord bedside rug. It will be pleasant to get up on such a carpet in the morning, because the material has a light massage effect. Even a small bedside rug should match the overall design of the room. Match the color to the curtains or bedspread.
Place a thick yarn rug on the floor in the hallway.
An elongated shape or a track shape is preferred. Combine dark and light shades. Focus on the overall style of the hallway. For a bright room, you can easily make a bright accent only on the rug. For a dark room, choose brown, gray, dark blue, brick.
In order for the interior in the room to look solid, be sure to use other knitted items. For example, thick yarn makes it easy to create chair covers or small baskets for storing small items. Knitted ottomans will also go well with the carpet. It is very important that the material is the same.
In the children's room, rugs in the form of animals will look appropriate.
The muzzle of a lion or a mouse will surely delight the baby. Use vibrant, saturated colors. Experiment with the shape. It can be the shape of a flower, animal, star, heart. A knitted carpet in a children's room may not be the main one, but an addition to it.
See below for more details.