Linoleum is one of the most common types of flooring. Its affordable price and wide range will satisfy the needs of any customer. In addition, manufacturers offer a wide range of colors for their products.
Linoleum can be used in any environment: apartments, offices, gardens and schools. But for each type of premises, its own type of such coverage is suitable. Knowing its characteristics, you can easily choose the best option for yourself.
Variety of species
What types of linoleum flooring can not be found in the consumer market. They are classified according to the class of wear resistance (that is, resistance to loads), and according to abrasion and flammability. There are products made from natural and artificial materials. The surface of these products is also full of variety: it can be matte and glossy, embossed and rough.
Considering all the qualities of linoleum coating, it is divided into 3 groups:
- Commercial … This type of coating is the most dense and durable. It can be used in public and industrial premises with high traffic. Commercial linoleum has a fairly high price. Its service life can be up to 20 years.
- Semi-commercial … Suitable for rooms with low traffic, such as a kitchen or corridor. It consists of 5-6 layers, the protective layer reaches a thickness of 0.5 mm. This floor covering will serve you for 10 years.
- Domestic … The most commonly used type of flooring.
The thickness of a sheet of household linoleum can be up to 5 mm. In most cases, it consists of 5 layers. Its base is mainly polyvinyl chloride, which is the backing. Also, jute, polyester, felt are used for the base.
By the way, according to consumer reviews, PVC is a pretty good material. There are no scratches or dents on it. And its price is lower than other materials for the base.
Fiberglass is located inside the canvas. It has a stabilizing function. That is, this layer does not allow the material to deform and creep. The web becomes more durable and stable. Foam PVC covers the top of the fiberglass. This is, firstly, a noise barrier. It is especially important for apartments above the second floor in order to reduce the audibility from below. Secondly, this layer performs a thermal insulation function.
The next layer is decorative, on which there is a drawing of the product. It is applied using a special machine. It should be noted that it is the household linoleum that has the widest choice of decor, different colors and ornaments are presented. There are drawings for laminate and parquet.
A protective layer is located on top of the decorative layer. It is also made of PVC and supplemented with a polyurethane film that protects the product from stress. The width of the protective layer for household linoleum sheets is up to 0.3 mm. It is he who ensures the wear resistance of the product. The thicker this layer, the higher the price. Experts recommend using products with a protection thickness of 0.15 mm in rooms with the least traffic (bedroom), and with higher traffic, for example, in a nursery - 0.2 mm. For the corridor and kitchen, an indicator of 0.25 mm is suitable.
There are thin-layer (up to 1.5 mm thick) and thick-layer (1.5-4 mm) household linoleums. Thin linen is rarely used. It is fragile and does not withstand loads well. Moreover, it does not have a backing and therefore requires additional use of a backing.
The service life of household linoleum is 5-8 years. Of all types, it is the least wear-resistant. Therefore, in rooms where a large number of people accumulate, it is impractical to lay such a canvas: it quickly breaks down, is erased and deformed. In this case, its service life is reduced to 2 years.
But for apartments, houses or summer cottages, such linoleum is the best option for a number of reasons:
- it is easily transported to its destination due to its compact roll-up and low weight;
- ease of cleaning: just wipe it with a damp cloth;
- color spectrum for every taste;
- has such qualities as strength, moisture resistance, thermal insulation;
- environmental friendliness. This applies to models that contain jute, linseed oil or have a paper base.
To improve the quality of household linoleum, manufacturers enhance it. It is distinguished from the usual by its increased wear resistance. With such a product, you can cover the floor not only in the apartment, but also in schools, kindergartens.
The thickness of the protective layer of reinforced linoleum is 0.5 mm.
It consists of the following layers:
- the base comes first. It can be made of PVC, felt or jute;
- foam layer, which will provide sound insulation;
- decorative layer;
The service life of such a product is increased to 10 years.
There are models with a foam base. It is made of fiberglass covered with foam on both sides. Also among the varieties of this reinforced coating is felt-based canvas. Its base is PVC, reinforced with lavsan or polypropylene fibers. Both of these coatings are designed to provide heat and sound insulation. And due to their strength, they can be used in industrial premises.
How to make the right bed?
It is best to lay linoleum in a single sheet.
- After delivery of the material, leave it unfolded for a day. This will allow the product to level out and get used to the humidity and temperature of the room. The canvas should be slightly larger than the size of the room so that the edges slightly overlap the walls.
- Prepare the surface: it must be flat, dry and free from damage.
- Fit the canvas with a construction knife to the size of the room.
- Fix the product. If the area of the room is less than 20m², skirting boards are sufficient for this purpose. If it exceeds this figure, a special glue is used.
There are times when a new sheet of linoleum is laid on an old canvas. To do this, the previous material should be firmly fixed on the floor, there should be no folds or waves on it. This installation method is possible if you are sure that your floor is perfectly level.
If you are covering a wooden floor with linoleum, then you also need to prepare it:
- fix loose boards;
- cover the cracks between them with a putty consisting of wood flour and PVA glue;
- if any board is badly damaged, replace it with a new one.
Depending on the width of the roll, household linoleum can be put in a single sheet (with a width of 4 m) or several strips can be used by joining them (if the roll is 1.5 m wide). This process takes place thanks to two technologies: hot and cold welding. But since the household canvas does not tolerate high temperatures, this type of joining is suitable for it, such as cold welding. This is a method in which glue is used to arch the edges of the linoleum.
Thanks to this method, the joint becomes practically invisible.
There are such varieties:
- type A is suitable for covering the floor with a new product. In this case, the glue must be of a liquid consistency;
- type C is used for damaged linoleum. Here, the consistency of the adhesive should be thicker.
This type of fixation must be carried out in several stages:
- remove dirt from the joints of linoleum;
- put a wide adhesive tape on the seam and make an incision at the joints. This will protect the edges of the canvas from glue;
- Pour glue over the distance between the two sheets. After it hardens, you can remove the tape.
Cold welding adhesive is toxic. Therefore, gloves and even a mask should be worn before work.
The method described above is quite practical, low-cost and does not require the involvement of special teams. You can do everything yourself, following simple rules. If your product has received damage - a cut with a knife or a rupture when rearranging furniture, these flaws can be removed in the following ways:
- imposition of double-sided tape. But this is a low quality option;
- the use of metal or plastic plates;
- you can glue the canvas to the floor surface. A fairly strong and reliable method.
Household linoleum is ideal for your home. It has all the necessary qualities for flooring, does not require specific maintenance. You can lay it yourself without the help of specialists. And his price is small. In general, simple, high quality and affordable material.
How to properly lay linoleum, see the next video.