Shaggy rugs are a controversial design thing. Soft, textured, they fit perfectly into the interior of different rooms and are a fashionable element of style. These coatings have strengths and weaknesses, the knowledge of which will help to choose the most correct option when buying.
What it is?
The original stylistic name "Shaggy carpet" means a soft carpet with a long pile (3-8 cm) of the Saxon type: the bristles differ in thickness - this is what makes the covering textured, lush and densely filled. Translated from English, the word Shaggy means "shaggy".
Long-haired coatings are unique and are designed for:
- interior decoration;
- floor insulation;
- providing sound insulation.
These long-haired carpets are unique and have a number of benefits. They:
- are a bright and disposable accent of a room, capable of independently emphasizing a design idea or being a bunch of different objects;
- look great in the interior of a bedroom, nursery or study, endowing the room with coziness and comfort;
- are made from hypoallergenic raw materials, therefore, they exclude the appearance of allergies;
- have antistatic properties, therefore they do not have a negative magnetic effect on the body;
- absorb excess moisture from the air, maintaining the "correct" climate in the room;
- have a wide range of sizes and shapes, allowing the user to purchase a model in accordance with the characteristics of the room parameters;
- they are distinguished by a rich color palette and a variety of patterns, allowing you to choose a model for a specific design idea or as an accent zone;
- often made with a special treatment that increases dirt-repellent properties.
The long pile of carpets does not allow using them in places with high traffic, as it wipes off quickly, which makes the carpet ugly and untidy. They are out of place on the kitchen floor. In addition, Shaggy:
- "Mask" small objects falling on the floor (crumbs, buttons, earrings, etc.);
- difficult to maintain, do not provide for daily cleaning;
- accumulate dust, which provokes the appearance of dust mites - causative agents of itchy skin;
- are more expensive than classical counterparts (the longer the pile, the higher the price);
- fade from the sun's rays if placed in rooms bathed in the sun;
- in models for the entire area of the room, they require a complete cleaning of the furniture for spreading.
Shaggy carpets are divided into several categories:
- carpets for the entire area of the room;
- medium accent models;
- carpet tracks.
Each variety is unique in its own way and allows you to choose an option based on your preferences.
According to the production method, these carpets can be made:
- mass method on production equipment;
- independently at home on a machine;
- manually, without using a machine.
The manufacturing method is also different. It can be braided, typed or fragmented. The difference between production and lint-free counterparts is the use of three threads.
Today, a large number of needlewomen have taken note of the popularity of "shaggy" coatings, so "home" production is in full swing. Apart from yarn or cords. the work uses a mosquito net, rubber bath mats.
Shaggy carpets are available in various sizes and shapes. The most demanded dimensions of the models are:
- rectangular - 80x150, 90x150, 120x180, 150x200, 170x240, 250x300, 250x350, 300x400, 350x450, 400x500, 400x600 cm;
- square (round) - 100x100, 150x150, 200x200, 250x250, 300x300, 350x350, 400x400 cm;
- tracks: in width - 60, 70, 75, 80, 90, 100 cm, in length - 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 600 cm.
The shaggy shape is varied. It can be standard or non-standard, taking into account the different characteristics of the rooms. Sometimes companies make special products with a curly edge or ledge for a bay window.
The main line includes carpets of rectangular, round, oval and square shapes. Rectangular models are more versatile and suitable for any type of room. Round, square and oval are accents, so they are laid out, highlighting a specific area. Narrow paths are located in the corridors.
Since the influence of color on a person is a proven fact, it is worth choosing the right shades of carpet. Strong colors that can cause aggression, irritation or other negative are unacceptable. Black, blood red, dark blue should be ruled out.
Focus on positive tones able to set up the owner of the room for a good start to the day: designers recommend paying attention to green, beige, lilac, gray-blue. Tones should be noble: rich, but muted. In addition, warm colors that can change the temperature of the room are welcome (peach, sand, orange, terracotta).
White is beautiful but impractical. The purchase of such a cover will quickly lead to its replacement. If you want to decorate the floor with a light-colored carpet, it is better to choose a gray or light gray tone.
What material is softer?
Carpets are made from different raw materials, the pile of which is thin or thick. The brands use natural and synthetic materials. The most popular types of natural raw materials are cotton, wool, silk. Of synthetics, nylon, propylene, polyester, acrylic, microfiber fibers are more in demand. Often, to balance quality and practicality, companies use mixed raw materials in their production. This technique allows you to extend the service life and attractiveness of the product's appearance.
Models made from natural materials are softer, they are pleasant to the body, but for the most part it is difficult to buy them in their pure form.
Acrylic coating is no less soft than cotton, but during use it quickly loses its shape, therefore, it is short-lived.
How to choose?
When buying a carpet, there is a risk of purchasing a substandard product. To take what you need, you should rely on several factors:
- a trusted supplier with a good reputation (it will not be superfluous to read reviews of buyers and owners about the manufacturer and durability of the product of the selected type);
- availability of a certificate of quality and compliance with hygiene standards with a passport indicating, among other things, the rules of care (quality assurance and durability);
- dense and flexible base: gluing is excluded, cotton fiber, vinyl is welcome;
- lack of a pungent odor (eloquent designation of toxic dyes and harmful glue);
- uniformity of texture ("bald patches", inclusions of prickly pile are unacceptable);
- elasticity: when bent, the pile should quickly return to its original shape.
How to care?
Cleaning a Shaggy long pile carpet requires regular cleaning and the use of a special powder. Ideally, professional cleaning is encouraged, however, calling a master every other day is quite problematic, although it is not so easy to remove stains from such a coating.
To simplify the task of home cleaning, there are a few helpful tips to take note of:
- chemical preparations can spoil the structure of the pile, therefore, they must be selected carefully and taking into account the recommendations of the seller;
- if the pile is short, you can sweep it with a broom or a soft brush;
- cleaning more often than once every 2 weeks harms the pile: in order not to injure its structure, it is worth using a nozzle without a brush (it fluffs up the villi);
- the carpet is vacuumed on both sides;
- if possible, the carpet should be shaken out, getting rid of the debris that has got inside, hanging it on the crossbar with the wrong side;
- in winter, after shaking out, the carpet is laid on the snow with the wrong side, sprinkled with snow and swept it out with a broom, followed by drying on chairs;
- dry cleaning is carried out no more than once a year, and before that, the carpet must be thoroughly knocked out of the debris.
The use of folk methods of cleaning (table salt, ammonia, sawdust, bran) does not always give a good result.
Do not get carried away with the washing vacuum cleaner: it violates the structure of the pile.
The uniqueness of Shaggy rugs lies in the fact that they look beautiful in any room style. Such coatings are appropriate with different color combinations of interior items:
a model with geometric shapes in purple tones fits perfectly into the design of a brown-beige room, if you maintain the shade in the upholstery of furniture (for example, an armchair)
an animal print under the skin of a zebra is appropriate in a bedroom with dark furniture and light wallpaper: it will dilute the dark colors and bring a little light into the room
Shaggy of a delicate mint shade is well suited to black furniture and gray floors: to make it look harmonious and soft, it is better to support the tone with a shade of wallpaper or a decorative pillow, not forgetting about living greens in pots
a rug decorated with contrasting circles can be laid in a room with dark walls: this will maintain the color balance, however, it will require diluting the tones with light paints in the form of white upholstered furniture and light laminate
a light green rug with a long pile can add cheerfulness and add variety to the strict beige and chocolate colors: such a model pulls out any, even the most boring interweaving of interior shades
if the room lacks bright colors and it is replete with light spots, you can buy a white model with a print: thanks to the support through capes and pillows on upholstered furniture, it will look not only harmonious, but as if it was selected taking into account a special design
if the color combinations of interior items are allowed, you can decorate the flooring with a rainbow-colored model with smooth gradations of shades: this technique allows you to combine several interior items of different colors without violating the integrity of the design idea
For an overview of the Shaggy carpet, see the following video.