The easiest way to make a small apartment more spacious is to simply remove the doors. An additional area is immediately formed, which was previously occupied by opening door leaves. However, after removing the doors, the doorways become unsightly, it becomes necessary to arrange them. In such cases, drywall arches are great. It is worth considering in more detail the features of such material, ideas in the interior.
Features of the
An interior arch can expand the space, and in the literal sense of the word. For the construction of such an arch, drywall is used, which is distinguished by its plasticity and lightness.
An arched doorway appears instead of a regular door. This alone increases the room, which is always lacking in small-sized Khrushchevs. In a small space, this design combines practical properties with aesthetic ones. She is able to embody even the most incredible design ideas into reality.
Plasterboard arches solve many problems:
- zoning of the entire space of the apartment;
- creation of a unique design in several adjacent rooms at once;
- correction of the unsuccessful layout of the apartment;
- perform a specific function: various additional structures can play different roles (a groove for flowers, a shelf for books);
- drywall is light enough, the structure can be mounted in an apartment with not too strong walls;
- plasticity and good quality of the material make it possible to manufacture a wide variety of geometric shapes;
- the ability to decorate systems of various communications (pipes, wiring) with the help of an arched structure.
Many positive qualities of arched structures can be noted:
- the unevenness of the walls and the opening are hidden, there is no need to align everything before installing drywall;
- drywall is an environmentally friendly material, it is approved for use even in rooms for children;
- gypsum plasterboard structures are distinguished by a relatively low price compared to other materials;
- simple and fairly quick installation;
- a variety of decorative materials, elements.
Of the minuses, there is a low resistance to moisture. Sometimes the open arched opening itself is considered a disadvantage. There is a possibility of drafts, the penetration of extraneous sounds, odors, light. Therefore, in some interiors, curtains or screens are used, which are a kind of obstacle.
Arches differ greatly in shape, they are classified into several types:
- classics (Roman);
- modern (British or avant-garde);
There are the following forms of the vault:
- Roman or classical vault is a semicircle with a diameter equal to the width of the opening. This variation gets its name from the first use of a similar design by the Romans in their homes. Such products are ideal for classic interiors with high ceilings. The simple form allows the installation of this structure in a narrow room.
- British the vaulted opening is more elongated - in contrast to the Roman one. This arch is called avant-garde or modern. It is suitable for a small apartment with very low ceilings.
Such a vault is distinguished by smooth outlines, therefore, visually stretches the room.
- "Romance" - rectangular opening with rounded corners. This option is universal, it can fit different styles.
- Very popular elliptical shape vault. This is due to the versatility of this type. This shape is good in different rooms - with high and low ceilings, for different styles.
- The striking arched design with sharp beveled corners has trapezoidal shape … This option goes well with wood decor. Good version for English classics or cottage.
- The portal-shaped arch is different complete lack of round shapes, such a design is the simplest design of a doorway. It saves as much space as possible.
- There are not only basic types, but also other varieties of similar designs. Distinguished by originality thai arch. More often it is called a semi-arch, which has only one rounded side, while the other has a rectangular shape.
This option fits into both an oriental and a modern room.
- The oriental style is especially popular, where the arched opening has a peculiar gabled dome shape … It can decorate Moroccan or other Mediterranean interiors. The peculiarity of the eastern arch is its complexity, it has many angles and surfaces.
- Gothic is also characteristic of arched structures, only here the vault is not semicircular, but pointed, like an arrow. It is also called lancet. This architectural solution is possible only for rooms with high ceilings.
The arch is not always performed in the opening; a structure arranged close to the wall is possible. Such a niche will be a kind of frame for a rack, shelf or TV. The arched structure can be placed over a fireplace or stove in the kitchen. She can even become the main highlight in the interior.
Curly arches come in the most bizarre forms, but most often they are decorative.
Models for different rooms
The variety of vaulted openings makes them in demand, they are found in rooms of different purposes. An arch in the form of a trapezoid is appropriate for a country house, office or library. This variation with geometric angles works well with wood and stone finishes, because these materials are difficult to use on smooth curves.
An ellipse in an arched structure is appropriate in various rooms; such an arch looks especially interesting in the bedroom.
In the kitchen space, designers often use a classic arch. In small apartments in the kitchen there is a small opening, so a semicircular arch of a symmetrical shape will be most appropriate here. When it comes to the living room adjacent to the kitchen, door installation is not possible. Installation of a classic arch on the border of the premises will be the only correct solution.
The Art Nouveau arch for the kitchen is suitable if a loggia or dining room is attached to it. An elliptical arch is also suitable for the kitchen, one of the easiest to install. This design zones the kitchen without reducing the useful square footage. Arches are often combined with columns or other interior details. The original idea is to install an arch that hangs over the bar and use a structure to accommodate the wineglass holders.
If the kitchen is decorated in country or Provence style, the arched structure is placed above the kitchen stove, and the hood can be hidden in it. The arch can be decorated with artificial or natural stone.
An avant-garde arch looks good in the living room.… The doorway to the hall is often quite wide, so the arc will turn out to be straightened, with a truncated radius. For the hall, the right choice would be semi-arches decorated with curly elements under the ceiling. If this option is used for a corridor, it can be supplemented with columns.
Vaulted openings are also found in bathrooms. However, it should be borne in mind that in a room where the humidity is high, all work is carried out using special drywall. Conventional slabs in a humid environment may lose their original appearance.
The trend of interior fashion is the integrity of the interior. Designers advise not to divide the living room from the hallway using a door. Better to zone these different rooms with an arched opening.
How to choose?
In apartments with modest dimensions, the interior partitions can be replaced with arches to increase the space. The best material for such structures would be drywall. The decision on the need to install an arch is made when there is very little space for doors, the room is small, and the arched opening will be a necessary functional addition to another room.
To do this, you must select the type of arch. It depends on its placement, which rooms it will share, the height of the room is also taken into account. For example, the avant-garde style of the arch is not suitable for all interiors.
This requires the advice of a specialist.
If the renovation is carried out in one of the modern directions, an arch in a romantic style is suitable - a rectangular structure with smoothed corners.
Sometimes there is a desire to place an arched opening in the apartment, but you do not want to dismantle the walls. An alternative version is possible here - an arch in the form of a portal. Such an opening has an absolutely rectangular shape; it is appropriate in a variety of interiors. Installation is simple and will take a minimum amount of time.
The main thing in choosing an arch is that it should harmoniously fit into the interior and go well with the main furniture. And for this, an important point is the subsequent finishing of the plasterboard structure.
In a classic interior, it can be a stone: artificial or natural. Quality staining is also possible. As a rule, no one is limited to paint.
Almost the entire arsenal of finishing materials is used in the decoration of arches: bamboo wallpaper, textiles, river pebbles, seashells, even bottle caps are possible. Arches decorated with decorative plaster look very impressive and presentable. Plaster decorative elements are possible.
Interroom openings in private houses and cottages are often decorated with elliptical arches. With their curved line, they highlight the characteristic style of a country house.
The decor can use natural wood.
If you are the owner of a studio apartment, you can choose a large round or rectangular arch for its zoning, which can visually expand the room.
An asymmetrical arch can emphasize an unusual interior; it will be good in an apartment with a low ceiling and for a very large space - to create a bright accent. Unusual multi-tiered options are used in a combination of false walls and niches. This is usually done for kitchen options.
Plasterboard structures are distinguished by their high strength, a variety of shapes and the possibility of finishing. However, such a product cannot be used outdoors, it does not tolerate moisture and frost well. After exposure to an aggressive environment, the street arch will almost certainly lose its original appearance.
Beautiful avant-garde arches have a small radius of curvature and a sharp transition at the point of contact with the vertical elements of the opening. This design feature makes the arch very effective, but at the same time limits its use. As a rule, it is mounted in a room with simple ceilings and walls - in the place where the door was previously located. This is how the entrance to the study is emphasized.
The symmetrical round arch made of plasterboard has a frame of niche shelves, which are a kind of decor. These curly shelves are an interesting design trick. They not only serve as a decorative function, but are also very functional. They perfectly fit books and a variety of souvenirs.
You can make the arched structure more interesting by highlighting the arch itself. In the hallway or corridor, such an opening can be successfully decorated with spotlights. They will serve as additional sources of light, which is always lacking in narrow and cramped rooms.
A stylish modern interior cannot be imagined without round or oval openings. This is just a godsend for low rooms, since such openings visually expand the space, smooth out all corners. The perfect solution for an ultra-modern living room.
High-tech arches are not decorated. It is based on clear lines, restrained palette.
You will learn more about drywall arches in the following video.