The first room where guests of your house enter is the entrance hall. Every dwelling, like a theater, starts with a coat rack. And what impression these first meters make will determine the opinion of people about the interior as a whole. One of the important details of each room is the ceiling, which in an ordinary panel house is not perfectly smooth. But flat ceilings are the dream of every apartment owner. And this can be achieved. The most optimal solution would be to use a drywall suspended structure.
Features of the
A lot of people still live in old high-rise buildings. Therefore, the issue of optimizing the space of small rooms is extremely acute. After all, these houses, as a rule, have a long narrow room instead of an entrance group. They try not to clutter such a hallway with numerous furniture. To make the space seem more spacious, all surfaces are painted or pasted over with wallpaper, using light colors for this. But there is one more method of visual changes in space: the optimal design of the ceiling plane.
Nowadays, modern and sophisticated options have replaced traditional ceilings. Plasterboard ceiling systems are versatile and original solutions.
Plasterboard sheets have numerous positive characteristics:
- ecological cleanliness;
- energy saving;
- moisture resistance.
All these qualities make drywall one of the most demanded materials for the manufacture of all kinds of volumetric structures: it can be a wall, a partition, or a niche. Plasterboard ceilings have also become very common.
Advantages and disadvantages
With the help of a plasterboard ceiling structure, rather unusual ideas are realized.
This is due to the fact that such systems have many positive qualities:
- low cost;
- the weight of the drywall sheet is small, this makes installation easier;
- uncomplicated construction compared to other types of suspended structures;
- lack of preparation: there is no need to remove the old whitewash, which greatly simplifies the work and saves time;
- cleanliness during the production of work;
- the resulting flat surface does not require additional processing, it also hides the unevenness of the floor;
- a variety of finishes - paints, plaster, wallpaper;
- the ability to hide all communications - ventilation duct, climate systems, electrical wiring and other wires and cables;
- a variety of lighting options - multilevel, spot, open and closed luminaires;
- the flexibility and plasticity of drywall sheets helps in creating any shape and bending of the structure;
- possibility of device of single-level, two-level and multi-level systems
Some negative aspects should also be noted:
- a slight decrease in the room (the height can be reduced from 5 to 10 cm), in rooms with very low ceilings, it is used with caution;
- a ban on hanging heavy objects, such as a chandelier;
- insufficient moisture resistance - flooding of the apartment by neighbors will negatively affect the state of the structure;
- it is better to use drywall for the ceiling in old houses, since a new building can shrink, and the drywall structure can crack;
- the white color of the ceiling may fade over the years, and the structure may be slightly deformed.
Plasterboard suspended ceiling systems differ in the number of levels. There are single-level, two-level and multi-level ceilings.
- Single-level ceiling - the easiest to manufacture, which at the same time can serve as the basis for a multi-level system. Perfectly flat surface - this is how a one-level system looks like after installation.
- Tiered ceiling - a more complex design that creates completely arbitrary patterns on the ceiling surface. The system allows you to arrange the lighting in an interesting way. These are spotlights with LEDs, and you can add backlighting between levels, which not only looks spectacular, but also raises the level of the ceiling visually.
- One of the modifications of the multilevel system is two-level ceiling … It is relatively simple to manufacture, however, it can be used to create a point lighting device.
The installation of the plasterboard suspension system is based on a frame structure. It can be open and closed. Using the open version, the frame elements themselves can serve as additional decorative elements in the interior.
For small spaces
In a small and narrow corridor, the installation of a suspended plasterboard system is perhaps the most correct solution for decorating the ceiling surface.
Thanks to the thoughtful design of the ceiling, it is possible to achieve a visual increase in the entrance area.
To do this, it is better to use the recommendations of professional designers:
- When installing a multi-level drywall system in the space of a narrow corridor or hallway, it is recommended to use clear graphic lines.
- A two-level ceiling with a rectangle or square recessed in relation to the main level will visually expand the space.
- In an elongated corridor, it is possible to construct several similar geometric elements at once.
- The color scheme of the ceiling of a small hallway must be light, ideally white, which gives a visual expansion of the volume.
- The arrangement of lighting systems is of particular importance. It is important to use a lot of point light sources here, which will add airiness and lightness to the interior.
- If you place spotlights or LED strip successfully, it is possible to create a unique ceiling structure even in a small room.
The plasterboard ceiling system in the hallway, with the right choice of colors and a successful lighting system, can change the image of even a tiny hallway and make it more spacious and attractive.
In a large room
If you happen to be the lucky owner of a large room in the entrance area, it is also possible to use a modern plasterboard system, which in this case will help to implement even the most extravagant and unexpected solution. After all, here you can afford the construction of both single-level and multi-level ceilings. The main thing is that such a solution should be harmonious and fit into the overall design concept of the apartment as a whole.
It would be better to use the advice of professional designers:
- An original technique for an overall hallway is the use of a multi-stage drywall system. This heavy, at first glance, construction will become almost weightless thanks to a thoughtful color scheme, as well as due to the equipment of a point lighting system. When installing a lighting system, experts recommend using several different types of light sources at the same time, which creates the effect of "floating air" and illuminates all dark areas of the corridor.
- Planes with smoothly curved lines always add special luxury to the interior. This technique creates the impression of blurring the strict boundaries of the ceiling, and the space becomes more airy and light.
- It is possible to design the ceiling surface in harmony with the overall color scheme. Another approach is the use of contrasting interior design techniques, thus drawing attention to this element. This will set the plane of the ceiling out of context, making it the highlight of the hallway room.
The most varied color palette is possible in a large room. It can correspond to the general style or become opposite to it.
- In a hallway with impressive dimensions, it is allowed to use dark colors that create a mood of comfort. A very interesting idea of decorating ceilings with contrasting accents - for example, dividing the ceiling surface into black and white parts. It is important here not to get too carried away with the multicolor palette. Designers do not recommend using too many colors in the interior. When choosing a color scheme for the ceiling structure, the simultaneous presence of three colors and even shades is allowed
- Various textures are possible: the ceiling can be glossy or matte, there is a combined version of different textures. The combination of the glossy surface of the central part of the ceiling with matte edging around the perimeter looks very impressive.
- A special chic is given to the plasterboard ceiling surface by the original finish, which makes the room unique. It can be photo printing or 3D drawing, original hand-painted.
- The mirrored ceiling looks most impressive. It is common knowledge that a mirror surface doubles all objects. So with the help of a mirrored ceiling, it is possible to double the height of the room. All household items and furniture that are in the room are reflected in the mirrored ceiling, which can create the feeling of a completely limitless space in the hallway.
You can also make a plasterboard ceiling with your own hands, see the next video for more information.