Plafonds for ceiling lights and sconces have several important functions. First of all, they are certainly capable of complementing any interior, as well as helping to change the tilt of the light beam and ensure its distribution in the room.
Features of the
A plafond for lamps is a functional element of the overall design of a chandelier, which is used as a diffuser. The plafond covers the light bulb, ensures uniform passage and diffusion of the light flux, and also protects the human eye from direct exposure to light.
There are many different types of shades for lighting, depending on which the brightness of the light and the direction of the light flux will change. The more open the shape of the shade, the brighter the light beam will be.
When choosing, it is worth considering that if the open part of the plafond is directed upward, the lighting will be more extensive, and if the open part is directed straight down, then it will be possible to create point directional lighting.
Manufacturers today offer many varieties of materials for the manufacture of shades: glass, plastic, polycarbonate, metal, wood and even paper. In addition, it is worth remembering that in the modern market, you can buy shades separately from the chandelier frame. They can either completely fit the models, and serve as spare in case of failure of those that were already in the kit, or create a completely new design.
The selection of the correct shade material also allows the use of different types of light bulbs, be they diode, halogen or devices with the highest degree of heating - incandescent bulbs.
Lamps have two main functions:
- Protective. They protect lighting devices from dust and damage. And they protect a person from bright light, which can negatively affect the eyes.
- Decorative. The general appearance of the chandelier, wall sconce or lamp for stretch ceilings depends on the shape, color and style of the shades. Replacing the shades can completely change the style of both the luminaire and the room as a whole.
All existing shades can be divided into types according to several criteria.
By design, they are distinguished:
- An intermediate option is semi-closed shades.
The design will depend on the brightness of the luminous flux and the degree of its dispersion. The more the lamp is closed by the shade, the more diffused light is obtained at the output, the more open options provide a brighter directional light. The open surface of the plafond can be directed both to the ceiling, which will provide illumination of the most extensive area of the room, and sideways and downward, which will provide a more point-like direction of light.
The choice of design will be ensured, first of all, by the purpose of the luminaire. So, for example, closed models will be an excellent solution for a rest room, but for a dining room and kitchen it is better to select open design options.
According to the number of shades, there can be chandeliers for one shade and several, depending on this, the brightness of the luminous flux will also be adjusted and the appearance of the chandelier will change.
In addition, the shades may vary in shape.
There are several of the most common forms:
- Cone or truncated cone shape;
- Models with flower-shaped shades are also quite popular.
By purpose and location are allocated:
- Ceiling, which usually have several horns with lamps, on which plafonds of various shapes are installed;
- Wall, or sconces;
- Table lamps.
In the range of ceiling models, nothing can compare with the popularity of the eight-arm lamp, it is usually used for large rooms where a large amount of light is needed. In addition, ceiling luminaires can have pendant structures. Such models are perfect for lighting in Japanese-style rooms or loft-style, when the lamps look like a plafond with a lamp hanging from a decorative wire from the ceiling.
Remote luminaires are used as ceiling models. This type of light element is built into the ceiling and is used to illuminate rooms for various purposes. Among these built-in models there can be both stationary and rotary options. The use of fluorescent light bulbs in ceiling models will help to achieve the most comfortable atmosphere in the apartment. In addition, this type of luminaire can be equipped with a diode with a motion sensor, which will help save energy.
Also, energy savings will be facilitated by the use of various types of lamps, for example, LED. The halogen option will also contribute to some reduction in energy consumption.
Depending on the design, wall lamps can be divided into:
- Sconce - luminaires, which in most cases perform a decorative function. It uses plafonds of interesting unusual shapes, different arrangement of horns, as well as a variety of colors.
- Overhead, or tablets… Luminaires that are mounted exactly on the wall and have a fully enclosed shade, usually in the form of a tablet. Most often, these options are used for kitchen lighting, bathroom and toilet.
- Landscape lights - another version of the wall composition. Such options have an increased degree of protection against dirt and moisture.
Wall sconces usually have a less concentrated and bright light beam. Most often, such lamps are used as an element of additional lighting in the corridor, bedroom, living room. Depending on the design and type of shades, you can create spot illumination of certain objects or visually expand the boundaries of space.
Table lamps on the market today can be divided into lamps for home and office use. Most often, this type of luminaire is placed on a desktop or bedside table and is used for directional lighting while working or reading. Such lamps can be installed permanently, or they can have a special attachment in the form of a clothespin, which will allow you to move the light elements if necessary.
- Most often used for the production of shades glass… Glass shades can be of different shapes, colors and textures - in the form of a ball, lily or cube, opaque or transparent, with the addition of color or gradient distribution. Glass provides a huge assortment of shades. Among the advantages of such a material is complete environmental friendliness and the ability to withstand high temperatures, therefore it can be used with any type of lamps. The disadvantage of this material is, of course, that glass is a rather fragile material.
- The second most popular are plastic shades… This type is the cheapest and highest quality analogue of glass. However, in this case, it is necessary to use only heat-resistant material. This will prevent the plafond from deforming when heated from light bulbs. Plastic shades can also have completely different shapes, in addition, many modern manufacturers create such high-quality shades that imitate a transparent glass version that it is sometimes difficult to find differences. The disadvantages include the possibility of generating an unpleasant odor when heated. Polycarbonate models can be distinguished separately - this material can also serve as a replacement for glass.
- Paper - a short-lived option, therefore, most often this type is used for decorative finishes, and not for lighting devices.Here, bulky shades are used, the walls of which are located at a sufficiently large distance from the lamps.
- Plafonds made of wood can also be used for room decoration. However, wood is a much more practical material than paper. It is easy to clean and much less susceptible to high temperatures. Such models are an excellent option for placement in eco-style rooms.
- Light fixtures with metal shades are ideal for placement in a nursery due to the strength of the material used. The correct shape will maximize the spread of the luminous flux in the room.
- In addition, special models that are created from scrap materials… Ceramic, wicker, woven, crocheted options can be an excellent option for unusual style solutions in rooms for various purposes.
Thanks to the assortment of different shapes of shades, you can choose the right look for any style solution of the room. For a large room, a fairly large chandelier with glass shades and rich decor will be an excellent solution. You can also use a multi-arm chandelier.
- In rooms with solid furniture, ideal options are hemisphere and plate… Such forms will help to emphasize the interior and highlight all the advantages of design delights.
- Square shade will be an excellent solution for an urban-style room, it will also be an impeccable option for a loft-style room and minimalism.
- The classic style tends to use unusual geometric shapes, therefore, such forms as a cone, a classic cylinder, the shape of flower buds are suitable here.
- Round option has many incarnations, and therefore can be used in almost any interior. Various colors and additional decor will help create a special reference to the style of the room. In addition, the "cups" shape is very popular - they require the use of lamps with reduced heating, but they look very impressive, while representing the simplest design.
- For rooms in a retro style, models such as "Bump" and "linder" - these are the most used models of plafonds in Soviet times, so today they are often sold at auctions and have a fairly high cost.
- Small shades in the form of candles, stars, other unusual small forms are most often used in combination with other forms and make up a fairly large lighting system in the composition.
The market of molds for children's rooms is quite extensive. They are usually used for wall sconces and embody the innermost desires of children. There can be such forms as the steering wheel of a pirate ship and the ship itself, a princess's castle, a Cinderella's shoe, a caterpillar and a rabbit from the fairy tale about Alice, a flower, a car, an airplane, a rainbow and many other forms.
The color scheme of the lamp shade will directly depend on the overall color scheme of the room.
So, the most popular and demanded color for any room is, of course, white. It is suitable for both the bedroom and the living room, dining room, corridor. Almost any design done in white will look great. In addition, the white color goes well with various styles. White matte light sources will perfectly fit into the Provence style, but the glossy white surface will complement such styles as minimalism and high-tech.
A fairly popular color scheme for the bedroom is green. Since this color plays the role of a color for relaxation and tranquility. Depending on the shade, different lighting options can be obtained.
Light green shades will add cheerfulness to the room, bring a joyful touch, darker ones will bring calmness and coziness.
Black options with bulbs that emit light of a warm yellow spectrum can also be suitable for a bedroom; this color scheme can be a real boon for a modern or classic room. This combination will look quite stylish and unusual, especially if the chandelier has golden decor. The same effect can be achieved with dark blue, burgundy and emerald colors. These noble shades add sensuality and pomp to the room.
Yellow and orange colors stimulate appetite, add warmth and comfort, so lamps with stacked elements will harmoniously fit into the dining room or kitchen.
The high-tech style is based on bright accents, so various color options will become the most popular for the design of a room in the chosen style. The most commonly used plastic options are red, black, purple, turquoise.
Many different colors can be used in the nursery as well. For the baby's room, you should choose pink, crimson, scarlet, for the baby - blue, blue, emerald, brown. In addition, wooden models are perfect for a nursery, they are environmentally friendly and will easily fit into a room, for example, a pirate style.
Neutral gray and beige are also popular colors. They, like white, are able to fit into almost any interior. In addition, they can have different shades that will help create real compositions. You can combine them both within the same color scheme and with companion colors. So, for example, gray will look great with pink or yellow, and beige will go well with blue and brown.
Today, there are a huge number of manufacturers on the market who offer their chandeliers both complete with shades and separately. Such models require a special separate choice of shades for self-assembly of the final product.
- One of the highest performing companies is the Austrian conglomerate Eglo… This company produces about 700 new designs of lampshades per year, while deliveries are made to more than 130 countries around the world. This manufacturer has its own distinctive features: most of the lampshades have a socket for an E14 base, the main material used by the company is glass, moreover, white, and the design is developed in accordance with European fashion standards. Perhaps that is why the company today is one of the leaders in the European market.
- Great models in retro style can be found in the collections of the Italian company Lussole… Here you can choose the suitable options for both ceiling luminaires and floor and wall options. A wide range of colors and shapes have brought the company to the list of industry leaders.
- Interesting unusual shapes and colors are typical for the models produced by the Polish brand. Luminex… The company has existed for about 50 years and has managed to establish itself as a manufacturer of excellent quality goods, while the company still uses a combination of high technology and ancient craft in production. In addition to quality, Luminex also offers great prices that allow you to choose options for any wallet. This company presents many options for floral motifs of various sizes and colors.
- Yugoslavian producers, the only ones remaining, provide an opportunity to buy shades for the Yugoslav chandeliers popular in the 80s, they had a special design, so it is quite difficult to find suitable shades. It is for this reason that in the recipient countries of Yugoslavia, separate productions of just such models are still preserved.They are made of high quality glass and have a special decor, often enamel.
- China Is another global manufacturer of various models of shades for various luminaire options. Here you can find many shapes, colors and materials. In addition, the cost of such options is usually lower than that of European manufacturers, while the quality is quite high.
The installation of the plafond will directly depend on the type of construction of the luminaire itself, on which this or that model will be used. So, for example, there are options that are attached using special pins, which are threaded on one side and simply screwed into the holes located at the base of the chandelier. This gives the impression of floating in the air. Here, as an advice, one can only cite the fact that when replacing the lamp, it is necessary to remove the cover from the pins each time.
As for other types of light elements, there are a number of useful tips to ensure that the installation of the plafond is not only of high quality, but also safe.
Before starting the installation, you need to acquire all the necessary tools. Their set will depend on the type of construction and on the material of the installed model. So, for installation, you may need a screwdriver, pliers, a special screwdriver with a voltage indicator.
Before installing or removing a chandelier, make sure that the lamp switch is turned off. Luminaires operating from the network should simply be disconnected from it, but with ceiling lamps it is not enough just to turn off the power, sometimes it is necessary to de-energize the entire network. This solution will help not only to secure the master who will install the plafond, but also to avoid unnecessary power drops in the network. If in doubt if the electricity is off, you can check this with a tool with a voltage indicator. If it does not emit a light signal, then the chandelier is completely de-energized, and any touch to its parts becomes absolutely safe.
Do not neglect the assembly instructions, especially if they are produced for the first time, this will help to avoid unnecessary additional steps for assembling and disassembling models.
So, after de-energizing the installation site, you can directly proceed to the installation of the plafond itself. If this is a completely new version, the original packaging must be removed. Often, new glass shades are covered with a film to protect them from chips and cracks. Therefore, before installation, it is imperative to remove it, otherwise, when heated from a light bulb, the film may begin to melt and not only emit an unpleasant odor when melting, but also negatively affect the appearance of the glass.
Some shades, especially if purchased separately from the chandelier, may require additional holes for installation. A special ceramic drill will help here, which will provide an even hole and will not damage the overall structure. If there is no special drill, it is not necessary to run to the store and buy it, you can use the services of a driller in a large store of goods for repairs or contact the manufacturer directly by ordering a shade, for example, from the official website. Such services are usually inexpensive, while maintaining the integrity of the product and not worrying about the quality of the holes made.
After the necessary holes have been made, you can proceed to the installation. The sequence of actions will depend only on the design and construction of the final product. So, most often the plafonds are simply attached to special screws with decorative caps. This allows you to achieve the most reliable grip, and also provides additional decor for the luminaire.
After the installation is completed, you need to make sure once again that all fasteners are securely fastened, all additional decorative elements are also in place, the lamp is screwed in, and the wires are securely insulated. When all the points of this rule are fulfilled, you can reconnect the electrical voltage and turn on the lamp.
How to install a chandelier yourself, see the video below for more details.
Beautiful examples in the interior of the house
There are many effective examples of the use of various decorative shades in the design of premises for various purposes.
So, for example, in a corridor or hallway, lighting plays one of the most important roles, because usually the corridor is illuminated only by artificial lighting and does not have additional support from windows. In modern interiors, hallways are usually equipped with recessed ceiling lights. Such models are very easy to clean and do not take up additional space.
Manufacturers offer quite interesting options for the loft style popular today - rough metal models, interesting combinations of metal, paper, wood and other materials provide a huge scope for decor.
Antique stylizations are also popular. Retro shades for lamps, stylized as popular models from the 80s and 90s, are given new life today. The forms of "cones", cylindrical chandeliers made in the countries of the former Yugoslavia are returning to everyday life. In addition, you can decorate the interior by installing a spectacular lamp on the wall.