The furnishing of the living room should be not only beautiful, but also functional, because it is in this room that we receive guests or gather with the whole family in the evenings - and sometimes we just pass the time alone (watching an interesting film or reading a book or magazine). A small coffee table is perfect for such a room - you can put printed publications, TV remotes and other equipment on it, put cups, vases. Such a piece of furniture will become a real decoration of the interior.
Based on the fact that a coffee table is usually small and rather low, it can be noted that it is inconvenient to eat or work at it.
It performs the following functions:
- It is used as a "coffee" table where you can place a service and a bowl of sweets.
- The main function is the storage of printed publications: newspapers, magazines, catalogs. On such a table it is convenient to put the book being read at the moment, the remotes from the TV, DVD, air conditioner and other household appliances.
- An equally important function is decorative. Indeed: a coffee table can be a very bright piece of furniture, bring a certain zest to it.
- Another possibility of using such a table is as a serving table. If it has casters or a removable tabletop, it may well perform this function.
There are no defined standards. The only requirement is that the dimensions of the table must be in harmony with the environment. For example, if a table stands near a sofa, its size cannot be more than 2/3 and less than 1/2 of the length of such furniture. But at the same time there is one more condition - its height should not exceed 55 cm. If it is more, then such a table is no longer called a coffee table, but a fitted one, it has smaller parameters.
The following dimensions of coffee tables are most popular:
- 30 × 30 - mini-table (very often it is not in the shape of a square, but in the shape of a circle, with a diameter of 30 cm).
The smaller the coffee table, the less functionality it carries. Very small tables are often perceived not as pieces of furniture, but as art objects.
The size of the table depends on both the materials of manufacture and the style. For example, a table woven from a vine or rattan is unlikely to be more than 50 cm in length and width, while a solid wood product will obviously not be smaller. Glass-metal structures can be of any size and configuration - they have a transparent texture, do not clutter up the room.
How to choose the right one?
First, decide on the design and placement of interior items in your room. You can sketch the plan of the room by hand, but it is better to create a 3D model on a computer, in one of the special programs. Depending on where the coffee table will be located and in what style the room is decorated, you can decide on the shape, size and materials for making the future table.
So, as for the shape - the table can be square, rectangular, round or oval. The first two varieties are optimal in terms of the functional placement of objects on the countertop, but their corners can be dangerous for children. Oval and circle do not pose any danger and most often fit perfectly into any interior.
Pay attention to the presence or absence of additional shelves, drawers, niches for things. They can be very useful, as they will allow you to clean up unnecessary piles of magazines and newspapers.
If you want to sometimes use a coffee table as a serving table, choose models with wheels or a removable table top.
Of course, when choosing a suitable product, one cannot but pay attention to the material of manufacture. It depends on how long your table will serve you, as well as how it will look. Most often, the following materials are used for the production of coffee tables:
Fiberboard, chipboard, solid wood. Products made from them are distinguished by their strength and durability. Outwardly, they are very beautiful and can harmoniously fit into any interior. However, a wooden table can be easily scratched and ruined. Fiberboard is "afraid" of high humidity, but with a careful attitude, such products are really durable
- Glass. Nowadays, coffee tables with glass top are gaining popularity. They really look very modern and sophisticated, especially if the design involves not only glass, but also metal or wood. Of course, when choosing such a product, you must definitely look at the quality of the finish: the edge of the tabletop must be sanded, there should be no chips, cracks or scratches on the surface.
- Polymeric materials. They are rather light in weight, but cannot boast of high quality and long service life. As a rule, such tables have a tendency to gradually fade in the sun and deform.
The coffee table is exactly that part of the interior that can look the way you want it. And really - what kind of designer inventions you will not see now on the modern market of furniture and home accessories! Each style of home decoration dictates its own conditions and requirements for the appearance of decorative elements, which include a coffee table:
Extravagant loft, industrial and fusion styles "Gravitate" towards tables made of atypical materials - for example, cast iron or iron. The shape and appearance of the table should also be strange and unexpected - what is, for example, a product made of fan blades or pipes for a water supply
- Charming Provence, cozy country and modern Art Nouveau - for each of these styles a table in the form of an antique bicycle or its wheel is suitable. Such a product looks very unusual, but its functionality is questionable: it is more an element of decor than a useful piece of furniture.
- The interior, made in the style of a classic, will greatly adorn a table made of solid wood - with carved legs and a massive top. Wooden products, as mentioned earlier, can fit into any interior - what matters is exactly how they look.
- A wooden frame of a thick tree trunk or even a skillfully carved stump will look appropriate in country; a deliberately rough box, as if hastily hammered out of boards, will suit the loft style. A large forged chest can look harmonious in Provence, country, and even classics: you just need to choose a product of the right color and optimal shape.
- Ultramodern hi-tech is very fond of unusual coffee tables made of mirrored glass with a concave top.
Bold design ideas
However, it also happens that the soul asks for something more, especially if the entire interior of the apartment is very unusual. In this case, it makes sense to think about ordering an author's handmade table - or you can try to find a suitable little thing and make a table out of it yourself.
For this, an old drawer from a closet is perfect, for example. Add a glass top to it and paint it a suitable color - and you're done!
Don't underestimate the chests either - large or small. These antiques will decorate the room very well, giving it a touch of antiquity and mystery.
An old suitcase is also suitable for these purposes. Just attach small legs to it.
It has already been mentioned above about the felling of a thick tree trunk. It can remain practically in its original form and have its original shape - or it can be trimmed in the form of a regular geometric figure. In any case, such a table is very convenient and functional.
The basic idea is as simple as possible. You take any flat horizontal plane, come up with a design, attach the legs - and that's it. An original, unique coffee table is ready.
In this video, you will find options for a successful design.