When choosing a floor covering, many buyers opt for linoleum - one of the most popular flooring materials. It is used almost everywhere and has a lot of advantages. Among the huge variety of products, semi-commercial linoleum is especially in demand, the characteristics of which ensure long-term operation and make the product worth buying.
What it is?
Semi-commercial linoleum is a type of floor covering made of polymeric materials, which occupies an intermediate position between household and commercial linoleum. It is an option developed by modern industry in order to reduce the shortcomings of building materials and increase their quality technical indicators.
Its performance characteristics are not much inferior to its commercial counterpart, which is the best in the line of linoleum flooring. It has a high density, which is formed due to fiberglass.
The material has another name - "Office", because such linoleum is perfect for places with high traffic, having a structure that is resistant to mechanical damage and abrasion. Another name for it is the meaning of "reinforced household linoleum".
This floor covering is widely used in offices, clinics, kindergartens, shops, public institutions (cafes, salons, restaurants). It is a separate line of linoleum classes, combining the best qualities of household (classic) and commercial counterparts. It is durable, resistant to heavy use, convenient and easy to install.
Semi-commercial linoleum is an excellent material that has several advantages. In addition to the fact that it is able to hide small cracks and unevenness in the floor, the coating:
- resistant to excessive wear;
- has an anti-static structure;
- not subject to decay and the formation of an environment for microorganisms;
- unpretentious in care and styling, does not absorb moisture, pollution;
- has a wide range of colors and shades;
- has high sound and thermal insulation performance, absorbing noise and vibration;
- it has an acceptable cost and is available to the main circle of consumers
- is an indispensable attribute for creating a cozy atmosphere of the home;
- recognized as a fire-resistant material;
- has a long service life (at least 10-15 years).
This type of flooring is unique in that it suits any room in the house, be it a bedroom, kitchen, nursery, living room, hallway, corridor. Due to the possibility of applying a clear pattern, it allows you to decorate the floor with different effects, imitating the surface for tiles, parquet, laminate, plank floor, natural stone, marble, etc.
This coating is able to satisfy various customer needs, it is recognized as a rational spending of the budget and is not burdensome to install.
Semi-commercial linoleum has several negative nuances, which include:
- synthetic components (not all buyers like it, as they can cause allergies);
- increase in cost per square meter with an increase in the thickness of the protective layer;
- large weight of material (complicates transportation);
- low level of resistance to solvents, alkalis and grease;
- drying of the structure of the material at noticeable temperature changes, a decrease in elasticity and the formation of cracks.
It cannot be called an environmentally friendly material, and some brands do not recommend laying this material in a nursery.
Differences from household and commercial
Semi-commercial linoleum is the golden mean between household and commercial counterparts. It is better than a household one and is lighter than a commercial one, while being a worthy option for flooring for a house, a summer residence, an apartment.
Semi-commercial linoleum has a number of differences from analogues of other classes. It is stronger than a household coating, so it is not afraid of sharp heels, chair legs, furniture casters. This linoleum differs in weight: if we compare a 1 sq. m, the weight of a semi-commercial coating will be one and a half times more than a household one and much less than a commercial analogue.
Other parameters include resistance to loads and price: semi-commercial is more expensive than household coatings and cheaper than commerce. The service life also differs. Semi-commercial linoleum quickly gets bored and outdated than wears out without losing its attractive appearance.
Such a canvas can be distinguished externally: it has a protective layer thickness from 0.3 to 0.6 mm (the difference is visible if you look at the side cut of the canvas).
The lineup of semi-commercial linoleum is diverse. Trademarks offer a variety of options for sale that can satisfy any customer preference. The most popular types of floor coverings include:
- with 3D effect;
- with anti-slip protection.
According to the type of base, the material is divided into two types:
- on a felt basis;
- on a foam basis.
Each type has its own characteristics and is designed for a specific type of room. Semi-commercial flooring is divided into two types: heterogeneous (multi-layer) and homogeneous type.
A heterogeneous class of material consists of several components:
- protective, protecting coating from abrasion;
- finishing, giving the coating an original pattern;
- the basis for the drawing, thanks to which the pattern is held;
- fiberglass, which eliminates deformation and increases strength;
- foamed base required for heat and sound insulation;
- a marking layer indicating belonging to a particular trademark.
The homogeneous class of semi-commercial linoleum is distinguished by the presence of a single layer with a homogeneous structure. In addition, the material is characterized by a relatively high weight in comparison with the heterogeneous analogue. The disadvantage of the coating is not as attractive as the heterogeneous one: its aesthetic characteristics are poor. It also does not have a protective layer, which is a significant disadvantage.
Wear resistance class
For ease of choice, semi-commercial linoleum is marked with an indication of the wear resistance class, explaining the purpose. This allows you to buy exactly what you need with the right investment. The classification includes 4 digits (32, 33, 34, 41). The first number indicates the type of room:
- 2 - residential;
- 3 - office;
- 4 - production.
The second (plug-in number) explains the load on the surface:
- 1 - low;
- 2 - medium;
- 3 - above average;
- 4 - high.
Based on the above, it turns out:
- 32 - semi-commercial for a utility room, closet;
- 33 - option for a store, office, corridor;
- 34 - great material for home and high traffic areas;
- 41 - a variety for a home with low traffic and medium use.
For added convenience, brands offer an intuitive classification system with intuitive pictograms along with numbers.
Due to the fact that there is no specific GOST for this type of product, manufacturing companies have developed their own parameters, standards, which make it possible to determine that this material belongs to the semi-commercial class of floor coverings.
The standard indicators that characterize the canvas include:
- the total thickness of linoleum, ranging from 2 to 4.5 cm;
- the thickness of the protective layer (top made of polyurethane), varying from 0.3 to 0.6 mm;
- weight per square meter, equal to 2 to 5 kg;
- web width ranging from 1.5 to 4 and 5 meters;
- abrasion, having an indicator of 10 - 15 g / sq. m.
How to choose?
Choosing semi-commercial linoleum can seem like a daunting task. In fact, everything is simple and clear:
- color and pattern are selected individually, based on their own preferences;
- the size of the canvas should correspond to the area of the room (a single solid sheet is preferable);
- if the humidity of the room is high (balcony, kitchen, bathroom), it is worth giving preference to a coating with a polyvinyl chloride base, the option on felt is good for "dry" rooms;
- saving a canvas with a pattern is unacceptable, it is important to take into account its direction and size, otherwise you can spoil the general appearance of the interior;
- the greater the thickness of the protective layer, the better the resistance to mechanical damage and the greater the durability;
- the compatibility of the coating with the "warm floor" system is encouraged;
- composition and appearance matter: priority is given to linoleum with a high level of color fastness and the addition of antibacterial components;
- the price of the issue depends on the degree of rigidity of the lower layer: the lower the porosity of the structure, the higher the cost.
When buying, you should pay attention to a material with an average thickness and a thick protective layer. Canvases 3-4 mm can not be considered: all the unevenness of the floor will be visible through the bottom.
When choosing a floor covering for an apartment or a country house, it is better to proceed from practical considerations: the white color will lose its attractiveness rather quickly. Do not dress up the kitchen or hallway with them (high traffic areas).
The procedure for laying semi-commercial linoleum is no different from the standard one. Anyone can handle it if they wish. It is simple and includes several steps:
- preparation of the foundation;
- preparation of linoleum;
- taking measurements;
- adjustment of the coating according to the required measurements;
- sealing of joints.
The principle of work for each master is different. However, there are general norms. Laying is carried out on a dry and level surface. If irregularities are visible on the floor, cracks or remnants of old linoleum are removed and the surface is leveled.
Linoleum can be laid on:
- old linoleum;
- concrete floor.
Each method has its own subtleties. If the concrete floor is easy enough to level, when laying on a wooden floor, you cannot do without a layer of plywood. If the humidity in the house is high, fiberboard is not suitable, as it will gradually change its structure and rise upward in waves, and no manipulations will save the floor from re-pegging. The option with the old linoleum is convenient in that in this case it will level the floor, being an additional substrate.
Measurements are carried out based on the maximum values \ u200b \ u200bof the length and width of the floor of a particular room, taking into account doorways and the characteristics of the area. A small allowance is added to the obtained measurements (for the curvature of the walls and the joint of the coating).
The adjustment is carried out taking into account the direction of the drawing: the linoleum is laid with a print upward and adjusted to the features of the floor, cutting off all unnecessary around the perimeter with a knife. If the walls are even, it is enough to leave 0.5 cm at the edges.
If the canvas is not solid (for example, laying in the corridor), you cannot do without joining the pattern (provided that the linoleum pattern is the same in different rooms). Both layers are overlapped, combining the pattern, then cut with a knife, precisely removing the excess of two layers at the same time. Seam sealing (cold welding) is carried out with a special glue with a sharp tip. It is important to ensure that the glue does not get under the seams: this can lead to unevenness of the seam and cause its destruction.
Masters believe that in cases where the area of the premises exceeds 20 sq.m, linoleum is best glued to the base. The process consists in applying a special solution and pressing down the surface of the linoleum with heavy furniture.
When laying, it is worth taking into account: if the covering has a felt base, the underlay may not be laid. If the base is made of foam, a backing is indispensable.
How much should you stay in bed?
A feature of semi-commercial linoleum is the need for preliminary preparation. It cannot be laid immediately: it is important that it rests for at least 2 - 4 days in a horizontal position without bends and creases. This time will be enough for the surface of the coating to be leveled, to take the desired shape and not to complicate the installation.
How to launder?
Despite the fact that semi-commercial linoleum is easy to maintain, it is important to remember: careful operation is the basis of durable use. When spots appear, they will be removed immediately, without waiting for them to "grow" into the structure of the material and become part of the pattern.
Regardless of the durable top layer of linoleum, it is better to glue special protective stickers to the furniture legs. Otherwise, everything is simple:
- linoleum is regularly wiped with a damp cloth;
- if there are greasy spots on the surface, a soap solution will help;
- it is unacceptable to use hard sponges, with intensive use of traumatic protective layer;
- Do not use abrasive cleaning agents for cleaning.
Ash must be removed immediately, sparks must not hit the surface. Linoleum is better than laminate, because wet cleaning does not harm it and can be daily.
Brands and reviews
To have a more detailed idea of semi-commercial linoleum, you can take a closer look to manufacturing companies marked by customer reviews and having a high rating:
- Armstrong - an international concern that produces a huge range of coatings with attractive designs, color variety, quality control at all stages of production, resistance of coatings to deformation and abrasion, moderate resistance to external factors and a variety of patterns. Buyers' opinions recognized the products as expensive and sometimes characterized by the smell of "fresh renovation" that stays in the room for a long time.
- Grabo Is a Wernger manufacturer offering high-quality semi-commercial coatings to the attention of buyers, made according to the improved production technologies from fiberglass, beeswax, rubber resins and linseed oil. Buyers call them one of the best, but limited in the range of outlets in our country and, unfortunately, have fakes, passing off as original goods.
- Juteks Is a Slovenian company that has been delighting buyers with linoleum with high quality indicators and reasonable cost for about 10 years. Today the assortment of semi-commercial products is represented by 5 collections with a multi-layer structure, a manufacturer's guarantee and a long service life. Buyers note the unique design, interesting paintings, allowing to diversify the style of the interior. However, the choice in our country is limited, and sometimes linoleum exudes a weak chemical smell.
- Tarkett - a corporation known all over the world for its unique approach to production and high quality of its products. The brand is known for a variety of additional effects and includes coatings with anti-slip, antistatic, special water resistance, transport, homogeneous and heterogeneous lines, using natural raw materials in production along with synthetics. Overall a great product, however in some cases it has to be glued to the floor.
"Komitex Lin" - a plant based in the Komi Republic, Syktyvkar, offering to the attention of customers certified semi-commercial roll products on a felt basis, resistant to weight loads, moisture, household chemicals.Buyers note a good design, affordable cost, but incompatibility with the underfloor heating system and a low level of coverage
In the next video, you will clearly understand what semi-commercial linoleum is.