When you come to an apartment, you find yourself in a corridor, and it is from its decoration and design that what impression you get of the owners and the dwelling as a whole. Usually, the hallway is small, so it is rather difficult to arrange it. After all, it is the corridor that is subject to the greatest pollution in the apartment than the rest of the rooms. When choosing wallpaper for such a space, you need to pay special attention to its characteristics.
The correctly chosen material for decorating the walls in the hallway will hide the flaws in the layout, and also perfectly highlight its advantages. Wallpaper remains the most popular, because their main advantages are a variety of patterns, many shades and different textures.
Consider the types of wallpaper that are most often used in apartment renovation:
- Liquid. Liquid wallpaper looks like decorative plaster. This type of coating has many advantages. For example, they have a smooth, even finish and hide flaws in the walls. Among the shortcomings, one can single out the lack of drawings.
- Vinyl. This type of wallpaper is of the highest quality, as well as a huge assortment of textures, shades and patterns.
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) forms a rather dense film on top. These wallpapers are called washable, for their ability to perfectly tolerate wet cleaning with the addition of a special tool. Their service life is from 7 to 10 years. The basis for such a coating is non-woven or paper.
- Paper wallpaper. Such wallpapers have the lowest price and this is perhaps their only plus. A significant amount of time is spent while pasting the walls. The wallpaper itself is first coated with glue, and then the walls are processed. Only after that the canvases are applied to the wall. Paper softened by glue deforms, tears, so it is not easy to smooth them out.
- Non-woven wallpaper. Such options are 40% more expensive than paper ones, but they are worth it, because they are much easier to glue. For finishing with this type of wallpaper, it is enough to treat the walls with glue and attach the prepared strip. There is no need to align the walls for this type of wallpaper.
- Silk-screen printing. This wallpaper is hot stamped. They have a typical gloss. Before pasting the walls with wallpaper of this kind, they must be leveled, since they are quite thin.
- Laminated. These wallpapers are based on paper that is coated ("laminated") with natural or mixed fibers.
- Glass fiber. Such canvases have a medium-sized relief, which can hide small defects in the walls. They are also called "paintable". Glass fiber can withstand from 3 to 8 stains. Also, this type of wallpaper is vapor and air permeable, and does not emit harmful substances.
- Wallpaper from natural materials. Such products are based on fabric or non-woven fabric, on which natural natural material is applied. It can be bamboo or cork chips.
If you decide to decorate the corridor in an eco-style or in an oriental style, then such wallpapers will be a real boon for you.
These wallpapers have differences in structure:
- Heavyweight or smooth vinyl. It is a durable and dense film, often even, or with a structure of stone, ceramic tiles and other materials. This is a very high-strength coating, therefore it is excellent for finishing the corridor.
- Foamed vinyl. It is a breathable wallpaper that allows the walls in the hallway to breathe. It is recommended to wipe such a coating with a damp cloth, not wet it.
- Hard vinyl. Rigid dense film - this is the covering of such wallpaper. Excellent and high quality imitates brick, stone and various textiles. These canvases have a huge selection of colors, patterns and 3D images. They have good wear resistance and strength.
Almost everyone wants to give the interior decoration of their corridor the most comfortable and interesting look, because often guests are looking at the repair of the hallway. It's easy to impress your buddies by decorating this space with dignity and appeal. Let's take a look at the ways of pasting coatings in the corridor used by designers:
Horizontal… An excellent solution for a narrow hallway will be striped canvases glued horizontally. They are placed on the central wall, where there is no furniture at all, combining them with wallpaper of the same color on other walls. In this position, the stripes visually expand the narrow walls and the space as a whole
Vertical… In our time, such wallpapering is becoming popular: one-color canvases alternate with patterned ones, gluing them vertically. In this case, you need to purchase narrow rolls. This composition looks quite fresh and trendy. It will come out inexpensively, since there is practically no waste with this method of pasting
Wallpaper inserts… Wallpaper, with huge flowers or geometric shapes located on them, visually reduces the space. We advise you to decorate one wall or even part of it with canvases of this type. Plain wallpaper with a similar shade is glued to the rest of the hallway surface
In patches… This unusual technique is called patchwork. It is characterized by filling the base space with patches from different wallpapers. They can differ not only in color, but also in texture. This technique is suitable for people with extraordinary thinking and an unusual perception of the world
This method of pasting is quite practical and easy. The combination of different materials creates unique combinations.
Fashionable colors and prints
In the hallway, you can glue wallpapers of various colors. Often people buy them based on their taste. But besides this, pay attention to the layout of the apartment. For example, dark-colored wallpapers (blue, brown, burgundy, dark green) are not recommended for use in narrow hallways.
Wallpapers with monograms will accentuate the aristocracy and sophistication of your home. Often, the color decoration of the hallway has to be combined with the existing furnishings of the rest of the rooms. This means sticking to the same shades. You also need to take into account the considerable number of doors. Therefore, if you intend to stick multi-colored wallpaper in the corridor, then we recommend looking for those that have a color similar to the shade of the doors.
As a rule, the entrance hall does not have sources of natural lighting, which should be taken into account when developing its design and purchasing materials for decoration.
If you choose the right wallpaper, then you have every chance to make all wall defects inconspicuous, add comfort and present the room in a winning way.
To make it easier to cope with this issue, it is worth understanding a number of rules:
- White and light shades will brighten your room favorably, which is important for a corridor. However, we must not forget that the slightest dirt will be visible on light-colored materials.
- If clear lines dominate in the design, then they flawlessly accentuate attention on rich and bright wallpapers, for example, lilac, turquoise, red, orange or blue.
- Striped wallpaper in the hallway has been relevant for many years. When purchasing them, you should remember about the features of the walls. Any kind of striped canvases will fit well into a large square corridor. And for the design of small, narrow or elongated hallways, it is recommended to choose a specific type of striped wallpaper. To visually lengthen the space, it is necessary to select horizontal stripes.
- Wallpaper with an abstract image will be a great solution for the corridor, because different ornaments will help hide small flaws in the walls. The variety of patterns and low cost are significant arguments in favor of this type of wallpaper.
- Solid color options in the hallway will become an elegant background highlighting the interior. Laconic, without any intricacy, material is an element of a fashionable interior. It is important to know that before pasting this type of wallpaper, you need to level all surfaces well, otherwise the defects will be visible.
- Wall murals in the hallway will allow you to change the room beyond recognition. However, when choosing them, one should take into account the area of the corridor and its shape. In a large and bright room, any drawings will look, but in a small hallway of the "Khrushchev" you only need to glue certain wallpapers.
- There are several recommendations for photo wallpaper for a narrow hallway: a 3D effect or a large drawing will visually reduce the area. Black and white will stretch out a narrow corridor. Wallpaper with bright patterns should be framed with a warm background, which contains pastel shades, as well as yellow and olive tones.
Now in stores there is a wide variety of materials for every taste, but it can be quite difficult to decide on their choice. We recommend that you come up with the design and style of the room in advance. Let's take a look at some of the attractive options:
Minimalism is a modern trend. There are many fans of this style who are sure to get rid of all that is useless. His admirers prefer monochromatic materials of gray, white and beige tones with the presence of small patterns
Country style stands out for its inimitable comfort. It looks like a house in the village, which evokes funny associations. Wallpapers for him are different: with a texture like wood and stone, as well as monochromatic
Despite the old age, the classics will always be in vogue. Wallpapers of this restrained style contain light and pastel shades or deep and rich colors
The loft style is also a well-known trend. Such a direction implies a certain negligence, a reminder of an uninhabited dwelling, basement or garage
The Japanese style in the hallway is an interesting option. These ensembles use texture materials reminiscent of wood, with the addition of decorations, which looks very original
The Scandinavian style is very popular. It uses discreet colors with shades of gray. The composition of an ash and dark shade looks beneficial, especially if you add it with all kinds of accessories, such as wooden furniture, wall paintings and sofa cushions
Provence is a harmonious style. Its individual characteristics are: many white and pastel colors, forged components in furniture, imitation of stone and brickwork on the walls
What is the best choice for decorating walls and ceilings?
To begin with, you need to take into account all the features of the hallway. It's no secret that she is right at the entrance to the apartment. This means that all the dirt and dust will settle right here. Therefore, washable wallpapers that are great for cleaning work better than any other. It is better not to choose materials of light shades (for the above reason), as they are very easily soiled.
On the other hand, it is not recommended to buy canvases in dark colors, since there are no windows at all in the corridor, and the room will become gloomy.
Other recommendations include the following:
- Glass fiber is a type of wallpaper that can be cleaned with water and detergents very well. In a dark corridor, you can pick up such options for light colors.
- Liquid wallpaper is well suited for a private house, as they can perfectly cope with unevenness and defects in the ceiling and walls. They are also quite economical.
- In case you want to make an extraordinary design of the corridor, then get iron wallpaper. Thanks to a thin layer of foil, tempting patterns can be created on the coatings. This wallpaper will brighten the room noticeably thanks to its metallic sheen.
- Wallpaper with a vertical stripe is ideal for a long and narrow corridor, visually expanding the space. And for dark furniture, we recommend buying canvases in light shades.
- Designers will help you choose wallpapers for a small corridor that will visually enlarge it. So that the hallway does not look gloomy, you need to refuse to buy products in dark colors. It is better to purchase bright options that will help revitalize the interior.
A fun approach is to trim both the ceiling and walls with the same wallpaper. Your corridor will look like a box in which you want to be.
Combination is a great option for a hallway, in which different types of wallpaper are used, differing in texture and color. This option distinguishes the design of the corridor and makes it more interesting. You can combine light and dark wallpapers by gluing them to the top and bottom, respectively. This is great if you have pets or children. This option will visually "lower" the ceiling, which is ideal for tall and narrow rooms.
If you wish, you can combine striped wallpaper and wallpaper with large flowers. But choosing them from different collections is not easy without the proper talent.
In this case, it is easier to use one collection.
How to combine with other materials?
Having thought over the design well, you will get an extraordinary and graceful interior as a result. You also need to know that wallpaper can be combined with other materials. You can apply brick, stone and other coatings. Naturally, they must match the wallpaper so that the interior of the corridor does not seem adjacent.
Let's consider some options
- A rock. Decorative stone panels are an environmentally friendly and durable coating. It fits perfectly into any design style. Decorating with panels and wallpaper is an effective method of decorating a room. Also pay attention to the fact that the stone is combined with the texture and color of the paintings. Do not forget that in small hallways it is beneficial to use a light stone, combining it with liquid wallpaper, and in large hallways, you can also afford darker tones.
- Brick. This decoration option is always relevant in the corridors. It is often chosen by active and courageous people, creating a modern style. When combining wallpaper with bricks, it should be borne in mind that it is better not to use canvases with a red and orange tint with bricks of the same tones. A gray material will go well with wallpaper of the same shade. Designers do not recommend combining photo wallpaper and brick panels.
Frescoes… With the help of a fresco, you can recreate any setting. For example, it can be a gorgeous palace or castle. The main quality of these elements is that they are durable. Using frescoes indoors, you decorate it, giving it the aura you prefer
Wood and panels. Wood is a versatile coating, as it has different shades, which allows it to be used in various interiors. The combination of panels and wallpaper creates a solid and successful environment. The well-known panel material is MDF. Such models are successfully used in the repair of hallways and corridors. After finishing half of the walls with MDF sheets, glue the rest of the walls with wallpaper to your liking
How to calculate the quantity?
Correct counting will allow you to calculate the number of rolls required for repair:
- When buying wallpaper for the hallway that does not require docking, the counting will be elementary. It is necessary to divide the perimeter of the room by the width of the rolls. As a result, we will get the required number of panels.
- In order to find out the number of strips of one roll, you need to divide the roll length by the wall height.
- To understand how many rolls we need, we need to divide the number of all strips by the number of panels of one roll.
- You need to know that if there are niches or protrusions in the room, then their sizes are also added to the perimeter.
We recommend buying 2-3 extra rolls more. They will be needed in case of incorrect counting or damage to the material by animals or children.
Where should you start gluing?
Even before you start gluing the walls, you need to decide where to start gluing. As a rule, it all depends on the lighting. Previously, when the wallpaper was glued with an overlap, they started gluing from the window so that no transitions were visible. Nowadays, there are several ways how you can stick wallpaper:
- From the door. When gluing vertically, it is necessary to adhere to exact verticality. Because of this, it is better to start the process from a reference point perpendicular to the floor, that is, from a door jamb or window slope. It is recommended to glue the first strip exactly vertically, using a plumb line or other auxiliary tools, then glue them one by one in any direction.
- From the corner. This method is only acceptable for rooms with flawlessly even corners. But since this condition is not always inherent in our apartments, it is better to decorate the walls in other ways.
- From a major landmark. If there are many passages and windows in the room, it is recommended to glue from a certain large and noticeable landmark.
- From multiple lines. This option is used if the room has a window of considerable size and the wallpaper is pasted in different directions from it.
- If you glue the wallpaper end-to-end, then start work from any place you like, because no matter where the light comes from, the joints will not be visible.
Beautiful design ideas for a stylish interior
The design of the hallway is different. This room in the apartment can be decorated in any way, the main thing is to correctly acquire the color of the coating and its pattern, then combine it correctly with the ceiling and floor:
- A small hallway in the "Khrushchev" can be easily transformed using panels … This option is usually considered outdated, but it is very practical and can translate a lot of your ideas. After all, such materials can be combined, colorful colors can be combined with monochromatic ones, and stripes can be completed with flowers.
- In a standard apartment, the space of a large hallway can be divided into a comfortable entrance area and an elegant hall. Also in the double corridor there is an opportunity to decorate the walls in different ways. Plasterboard arches are often used to divide the space. For their manufacture, other materials are also used, such as wood, stone or brick.
You can find out which wallpaper to choose in the corridor from the video below.