Handmade interior decorations are very popular. A cord carpet will bring coziness and originality to your home. Wickerwork can be purchased at the store or made by yourself. The outstanding characteristics of the product guarantee many years of service.
A round, oval or rectangular rug can be used for its intended purpose or as a decorative element.
A voluminous, openwork carpet in the hallway or a large product on the wall will perfectly complement the interior. The original appearance is not the only difference between a knitted carpet and a regular one.
There are a number of other distinguishing characteristics:
- Walking on the carpet stimulates the points on the feet due to its massage effect.
- The cord is not afraid of moisture. The product can even be laid in the bathroom.
- Such a carpet will not become a dust collector. It can be wiped down regularly with a damp cloth.
Despite the fact that moisture does not cause much harm to the product, it still needs to be dried. This will prevent the carpet from developing a stroke or rotting of the line. To enhance the orthopedic effect, it is recommended to lay a carpet in the kitchen, bedroom or living room. Massage while doing household chores will add vigor throughout the day.
Such a rug is also useful for children. Interesting relief and a wide variety of colors will help create a wonderful playground for your child. During the game, tactile sensations and fine motor skills will develop. The ability of the cord not to collect dust will eliminate the occurrence of allergic reactions.
The popular shabby chic style rug can also be used in the hallway. An interesting option is to cover the entire corridor with a wicker product.
An important feature of the carpet is its design versatility. It fits perfectly into the interior of any home.
There are pros and cons to wicker. With the merits, everything is very clear and there are quite a few of them.
There are also disadvantages that are not related to the properties of the product, but to the material and skill of the manufacturer:
- Weaving material is less readily available than conventional yarn. It is not always easy to find the color you want. The cost of the cord may differ depending on the composition.
- The first jobs can take a long time. This is due to a lack of experience.
How to choose a cord?
The choice of material depends not only on your personal preference, but also on what kind of carpet you want. Fans of natural products prefer cotton cord.
Features of such material:
- High consumption of the harness when knitting.
- The price of a cotton cord is higher than a synthetic one.
- The finished product turns out to be quite hard.
- It is difficult to work with such a cord; it is not recommended for beginners.
The latter property is due to the low elasticity of the cotton cord. A heavy and inflexible product fits well on the floor and does not deform during operation. The color range of natural materials is limited to natural tones.
It is recommended to make products for children from such a cord.
There are two types of synthetic cords: polypropylene and polyester. The first type is not very suitable for making carpets. The material creaks unpleasantly during operation and has an unnatural shine. The use of polyester cord is much more common. Polyester is soft and pleasant to the touch.
Characteristics of polyester cord:
- It is elastic and springy.
- The finished product does not deform with prolonged and intensive use.
- Differs in splendor and interesting relief.
- Polyester fibers do not fade in the sun, do not collect dust. Static electricity is also not generated on it.
Such a synthetic cord can be used to weave a great product. The texture depends on the selected pattern. The material gives free rein to imagination thanks to a wide range of colors. It is easy and pleasant to work with the material, even a master without much experience can cope with this.
There are two types of cords: with and without a core. Many experienced knitters recommend using the first option for rug weaving. This material is a thin braided cord. It keeps its shape perfectly.
A cord without a core will do the trick at first. The finished product will be less bulky and hold its shape worse.
Another important parameter when choosing a cord is diameter. The most popular option is 5 mm. There are manufacturers who sell cords with a diameter of 4.5 mm. These items are a little cheaper. In the finished product, the difference of 0.5 mm is invisible. You can use any cord for your own preference.
Experienced carpet knitters recommend using material from one manufacturer in one product.
This is due to the fact that companies can use different technologies and in the future the material will behave unpredictably.
Do it yourself
Creating a masterpiece with your own hands will not cause difficulties for craftswomen without experience. They can be made with or without a scheme. The aesthetic appearance of the product depends on this.
To make a carpet with a diameter of 1100 mm you will need:
- The plait is about 800 m long;
- Crochet hook No. 5 or 6;
- Scheme for a carpet or napkin.
It is better to buy a cord in trusted stores - construction or sewing. As a rule, well-known manufacturers guarantee the high quality of the material. Knitting according to the pattern is a rather long and laborious task, but you will get an interesting and embossed rug. For beginners, it is recommended to use simple schemes.
To make a round product, you only need a napkin pattern or any beautiful pattern. It is this kind of rug that will cause the least trouble.
Experienced craftswomen recommend starting your creative journey with a round carpet.
An oval rug is knitted according to an individual pattern, and the pattern for a napkin is taken as a basis. To do this, tie a chain of chain stitches with a lift. On both sides of the chain, tie the double crochet (CCH). This design replaces the original ring in the circular pattern.
A square product is often knitted according to the principle of "grandmother's square". It consists of knitting double crochets and air loops. You can combine cords of different colors to create an interesting pattern. It is so convenient to knit not only small items, but also large ones. The second option is created according to the principle of "patchwork rug". Tie several small square pieces together and fasten them together.
The technique of crocheting a carpet is quite simple and straightforward, but not the only one. Craftswomen use 2 more technologies:
Weaving on the frame
The frame is selected for the size of the future carpet or its fragments.
The work is done in several stages:
- A row of nails must be stuffed onto the frame at the same interval. Pull the cord over the nails, this is the base cord.
- We pass long ribbons through the base in a checkerboard pattern. Press the top row to the bottom.
- Having reached the top, you should tie the knots and cut the carpet.
Weaving on a mesh
This kind of work is very painstaking and laborious. To begin with, a base is woven with holes, which are then filled with loops from a bundle. Tie a mesh of air loops of the required diameter. Now each cell is tied with a double crochet. The density of the future carpet depends on the number of pillars.
Separately, you should consider the consumption of materials:
- A small rug of 55 x 55 cm square patches will require about 200 m of cord.
- A round carpet about 1 m in diameter contains about 600 m of cord, and with a diameter of 1.5 m - 750 m of cord.
- For a 70 x 80 cm embossed rectangular rug, you will need about 600 m of material.
When calculating consumables, it is necessary to take into account the following factors:
- Knitting style. With a tight knit, the cord consumption will be slightly less, and with a loose knit, more.
- The complexity of the pattern. A large amount of relief increases material consumption. A smooth rug, on the other hand, will require less cord.
Each experienced craftswoman has her own secrets of creating the perfect product.
The main parting words for beginners:
Finding out the size of the future carpet is quite simple. Tie a swatch - a fragment of the pattern. Measure the height of one row of the sample and multiply by the number of rows in the pattern. Double the resulting number and get the diameter of the finished round carpet
In order to extend the life of your floor carpet, go for the trick. Sew a special backing onto the bottom of the rug. This will prevent the cord from chafing from constant contact with the floor
Taking care of the finished product is quite simple. Small items can be easily washed in a washing machine. No special chemical treatment is required for the cord.
It is recommended to wash the rug in water up to 30 degrees. It is dried in a flattened form.
You can learn how to knit a polyester cord carpet with your own hands from the video below.