Floor covering is one of the most important and crucial stages. The quality of the selected material and the work performed will determine not only the general appearance of the room as a whole, but also the comfort of being in it. Natural coatings and high-quality artificial ones, such as parquet or laminate, are quite expensive, but linoleum has a lot of useful qualities and has several advantages over more expensive alternative coatings.
Features and Benefits
Linoleum with imitation "under the laminate" is a special type of linoleum, consisting of several layers, on the surface of which there is a pattern that ideally imitates laminate panels. This material is quite durable and has some features and advantages over conventional laminate flooring.
The main feature of linoleum with imitation "under the laminate" is that with the right choice and laying of the material in appearance it cannot be distinguished from a real laminate coating, while the operational and quality characteristics increase significantly.
The second main feature lies in the fact that linoleum is easier to lay than laminate. To do this, you must use a special glue. The laying process itself takes less time than laying laminate panels using special locks.
There is one more key difference between linoleum with such imitation from its other types. It lies in the correct styling. The floor covering imitating laminate panels is laid in pieces, and not in one piece. It is this installation that allows you to correctly and beautifully simulate the limanate floor covering.
If we talk about the advantages of linoleum with imitation of "laminate", then we can cite the following:
- Linoleum is less whimsical to changes in temperature and humidity in the room. This coating easily transfers a large amount of moisture, while laminate panels begin to swell and deteriorate.
- Unlike laminate flooring, linoleum-covered floors do not fade or deform when exposed to excessive UV radiation.
- This flooring has a longer lifespan due to its increased resistance to dents and scratches.
- It is linoleum that is best used if the room has a warm floor. Laminate panels may not always be used for underfloor heating.
- A wide range of. There are several types of linoleum on sale with imitation "under the laminate", which differ in color and thickness from each other.
- Such a coating is much cheaper than any laminate panel.
It is not surprising that the presence of such advantages makes linoleum with a pattern more and more popular and in demand today.
The general characteristics of linoleum with imitation of a pattern under the "laminate" are presented in its advantages. However, there are also specialized characteristics to look out for. It is they who show how safe, durable, wear-resistant and suitable for a particular room this version of a roll-up floor covering will be.
Separation in accordance with GOST
According to GOST 7251-77, all types of linoleum imitating the pattern of laminate panels are divided into several categories in accordance with their characteristics:
- Operating load: light, medium high.
- Class - domestic or commercial.
- Scope of use.
- Abrasion resistance - AC1 to AC5.
- Material resistance to damage sustained by impacts IC1 to IC3.
- The service life is from 2 to 20 years.
According to such a prescription, you should first decide on the class of linoleum, then - the place of its laying, and already in this field, choose the roll material that has the most attractive characteristics.
Floor covering characteristics according to UBER
UBER classification helps buyers to immediately determine the most important technical characteristics of this material. Such a classification is often used to divide into groups both rolled floor covering made in Russia and what was made abroad.
Each capital letter of the name of the classification itself corresponds to a specific technical characteristic:
- U is abrasion resistance. Has a digital range from 0 to 4 units.
- B - shows the residual deformation ratio. The gradation of the digital indicator is the same as in the first case.
- E - Coefficient of resistance to moisture.
- R is an indicator of resistance to chemical attack (from 1 to 3 units).
According to this classification, the higher the indicator of each characteristic, the more durable the linoleum itself will be in use.
The main characteristics of linoleum with imitation "under the laminate" are the following:
- Wear resistance class of the coating. This parameter is divided into three subgroups:
- 41-43. A material with this indicator is more suitable for laying in industrial premises and other places of mass gathering of people.
- 31-34. Suitable for crowded places such as schools, hospitals and offices. It will be the ideal flooring option for houses and apartments in which a large number of people live.
- 21 - 2 Linoleum with this mark, suitable for flooring in places with a small number of people, in private houses and apartments.
It is this technical characteristic that is considered key today.
Base and base of linoleum. There are two types of base: single-layer or multi-layer. A good quality roll coating "for a laminate" for home use always has a multi-layer base, but a commercial coating can be single-layer, but with special additives. If we talk about the basis of this material, then it can be jute, felt or polyvinyl chloride. The difference between them lies in cost and service life. The first and third cladding options are used more often
- The thickness of the coating itself and its protective layer. According to this parameter, a roll floor covering of this type is divided into the following groups:
- 0.7 mm - designed for places with the highest possible load.
- 0.4 - 0.6 mm - for places with average pedestrian traffic.
- 0.3 mm - places above the minimum load level, such as a kitchen, bedroom or hallway.
- 0.1 - 0.25 mm - for other rooms.
The characteristics of the same type of linoleum may vary depending on the variety.
All types of linoleum produced today with imitation "under the laminate" can be conditionally divided into three large groups:
The commercial type of linoleum, as it is already clear from its name, is produced for large and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises. Such material has the highest indicators of wear resistance, fire safety and durability. The basis of such a material "under the laminate" is polyvinyl chloride with special additives. It is he who increases all the characteristic indicators of this flooring at times. Such linoleum can be single-layer or multi-layer
Household linoleum with imitation "under the laminate" is the most common among the inhabitants. The thickness of such a floor covering is no more than 0.4 cm. Usually its base is on special foam. The choice of this type of roll flooring should be given the greatest attention, since the service life and duration of the presentable appearance of the floors will depend on it
Semi-commercial linoleum flooring is a hybrid of the previous two. It has an attractive appearance, but at the same time its characteristics are higher than that of household linoleum flooring
Each of the listed species, in turn, has several varieties that differ in color and type of pattern.
Colors and patterns
Linoleum with imitation "under the laminate", as the name implies, will have a pattern with stripes in the form of the laminate panels themselves. In this case, the material can be light or dark. Light linoleum with imitation of a laminate is understood as a floor covering that is almost white. This shade is called "Bleached Oak". The stripes on it can be either a tone darker than the general background, or lighter. Usually, this color palette is used in private houses, since when a large number of people pass through, the color quickly fades.
Dark linoleum under the laminate can have several color options: from walnut color to dark chocolate. It should be understood that choosing a specific shade should be based not only on the general style of the interior, but also on the permeability of people. Dark linoleum, or rather its color, is more resistant to abrasion compared to a light coating.
Today, you can see other shades of this roll-up flooring, such as gray, chestnut-burgundy, cappuccino.
The pattern imitating the laminate itself can also be different: in the form of laminate panels laid in a herringbone, horizontally or vertically. Painted stripes can be narrow or wide, darker or lighter than the main background.
Such a rich variety of colors and pattern options make it possible to purchase not only linoleum with imitation "like a laminate", which has the necessary characteristics, but also a coating that would harmoniously fit into the overall style of the interior.
How to choose?
When buying this roll cover, you need to pay special attention to the following points:
- The seller has a corresponding certificate for rolls.
- Correct labeling of each linoleum roll. It is worth remembering here that it can be of two types, which were described above.
- You should only purchase the coating that fully corresponds to the place of installation in accordance with its marking, only in this case you can be sure of the quality and durability of the future floor.
- It is imperative to take into account such a parameter as wear resistance. For the kitchen or hallway, you should choose the material that has the highest parameters of this characteristic, but for the living room and bathroom, you can choose a roll with a lower indicator of this value. Otherwise, the coating will have to be changed much earlier than the manufacturer's promised date.
- Try to choose a linoleum that contains as few synthetic additives as possible. Their large number significantly reduces the wear resistance and durability of the material, although many manufacturers are trying to keep silent about this.
- In order for the coating to look as natural and presentable as possible, its color and pattern should be in harmony with the general interior of the room.
- It is best to give preference to manufacturers who have been engaged in the manufacture and sale of rolled flooring "under the laminate" for a long time. In this case, the risk of purchasing a low-quality product is minimized as much as possible.
Guided by these simple tips when buying, you can quickly and easily choose linoleum with a pattern "under the laminate" of high quality.
Beautiful ideas in a modern interior
Confirmation of these words will be photographs that clearly prove that the correctly chosen linoleum "under the laminate" can become a real decoration of the room and it will be impossible to distinguish it from the original laminate panels.
A living room with minimal furniture and linoleum with an imitation of gray looks presentable and expensive. The flooring is indistinguishable from the floor on which a real laminate has been laid. A well-chosen color scheme makes the floor the main decoration of the room, without violating the overall design concept of the room.
The living room, combined with the dining room in light colors, is ideally complemented by linoleum with imitation "like a laminate" in light brown. Wide stripes help to visually expand the room and make the room brighter and more pleasant.
The bedroom with flooring in bright, but at the same time calm color looks very beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. The selected linoleum is close in color to furniture and walls, but at the same time it compares favorably with them, bringing a zest to the overall interior.
All these examples prove once again that laying linoleum with imitation "under the laminate" is not just a desire to save money, but also an opportunity to decorate the floor in any room beautifully, conveniently and profitably, regardless of its color scheme and style.
You can find out how to choose the right high-quality linoleum by watching the video below.