New houses with comfortable apartment layouts are being actively built now. But most of the old ones do not go anywhere, and the Soviet-style apartment is distinguished by the presence of a narrow corridor, which must be arranged so that there is as much space as possible for free movement and that all the furniture is as functional as possible. And of course, don't forget about modern design. It is quite possible to make a small corridor practical and stylish.
Features of the
As a rule, the hallway of a standard Khrushchev is a narrow, sometimes excessively long corridor. And in the design of its design, you need to provide for every little thing. It is best to make a drawing before repairing, which will show the arrangement of furniture, the placement of lamps, the necessary sockets, a possible division into zones, and decoration elements. Each detail located in a small corridor should work to visually enlarge it, as well as perform a specific function. There should be no useless things in a small room.
When placing furniture, it should be borne in mind that the minimum width of the passage should be about 80 cm. You cannot leave less. Also, the repair of this room should be approached taking into account the presence of pets in the house. If the owners' favorites are a cat or a cat, it is recommended to abandon the wallpaper on the walls, otherwise they will soon be mercilessly stripped. It is worth choosing a material that is more resistant to external damage.
Let's not forget about the harm that can be caused to walls by small children who already know how to draw. Consider that you may need to wash these surfaces frequently.
How to visually expand the space?
The problem of a small space in the corridor can be solved in several ways. The main thing is to take into account the layout, arrange furniture rationally, choose good lighting, successfully combine the colors of the floor, walls and ceiling, correctly place the elements that will decorate the room. The main disadvantage of a narrow hallway must be beaten so that every guest entering it can envy and take it for dignity.
At first glance, it seems that a room 80-90 cm wide and about three meters long is difficult to enlarge visually and arrange so that there is enough room for movement. Do not despair, there is practically no impossible in our time. Create your hallway project based on the following guidelines:
Zoning. The corridor can be divided into two functional areas: the entrance and the actual hallway, lobby. They stand out with different materials, colors, and suitable furniture. For example, in the entrance area you can leave hangers for outerwear, a shoe rack and a pouf, and in the lobby you can place a chest of drawers, a curbstone, a mirror, shelves for decorative elements, wall decorations. At the entrance, lay floor tiles in dark colors and cover the rest with, for example, laminate, parquet or a different color. You can also use a rug for separation
- Bright hues. You should not get carried away with white, but the use of shades such as pale pink, beige, light blue, turquoise will make the hallway visually wider.
- Contrast. If the walls and ceiling are made in soft pastel colors, then the floor, doors, furniture can stand in contrast to them. Conversely, if you decide to stick dark wallpaper, you should choose light furniture, as well as doors.
- Reflection. It always plays on the visual expansion of space. Place several mirrors in the corridor, make the doors of the wardrobe mirrored, place mirror inserts in the doors, use glossy surfaces of furniture, floor, ceiling. You can choose one of the above or combine several options.
- A diagonal floor pattern will bring the room closer to the shape of a square.
- Good lighting. It is not worth saving on this. The distribution of light must be well thought out before starting repairs. It is recommended to use small spotlights. They can be installed in the ceiling, wall or floor.
Ceiling decoration depends on its height. Not all materials are suitable for low ceilings, so you need to be careful here:
- If the ceiling is low, it is best to use a stretch option. A glossy finish on the top surface will help increase the space. Although you can also consider a matte material.
- If the height allows, the choice may fall on suspended structures, behind which you can well hide the electrical wiring, irregularities in the ceiling base. It is possible to integrate lamps into such a ceiling. Also worth noting is its heat and sound insulation function.
- Multi-level plasterboard structures are suitable for a hallway with a high ceiling. The number of levels depends on your preferences and financial capabilities. The most luxurious options are considered to be three-level configurations, columns and arches. The most common and popular type is a two-level ceiling. If desired, the levels can be highlighted in different colors, built in a lot of lamps, neon lighting.
If the corridor is rather long, the ceiling can be divided into fragments, just like the floor, by highlighting them in different shades or placing a beam at the top to match the doors and baseboards, dividing the zones.
It is better to choose a color lighter than the color scheme of the walls, a common option is white. Ceiling recessed spotlights are a good choiceplaced along the entire length of the hallway. For convenience, you can make two switches for two functional zones or install a motion sensor at the entrance.
Placing pieces of furniture in a narrow hallway is an extremely responsible matter, and you need to approach it with all seriousness. It depends on how comfortable it will be for you to dress, put on shoes, put yourself in order, move around, etc.
In a private house, for example, there is often a small vestibule where you can take off your shoes, undress and only then go into the hallway furnished with furniture. In an apartment, these zones are combined into one, and it is a lot of work to achieve convenience in it.
It is best to stick to the concept of minimalism. You need to place only the most necessary, taking into account the practicality and functionality of every detail.
If space permits, it is appropriate to put a wardrobe. A common option is a combined body structure that combines a wardrobe for outerwear, a mezzanine, shelves for shoes, shelves for accessories, all kinds of drawers, and often a bench. Do not forget about the possibility of placing mirrors on the cabinet doors. A good solution would be to install lighting for the interior of the room … This is both a good design move and an additional light source.
If space is very tight, ditch the closet and get a coat hanger. A few hooks on the wall should be enough. A shoe rack is also among the essentials in the corridor. It can be placed under a hanger. To save space, it is appropriate to combine a shoe cabinet with a bench.
Placing hanging shelves on the walls is a good solution for the interior. They may be needed for some little things, jewelry, souvenirs, cosmetics, keys and more. For the same purposes, you can put a small table. Among other things, it will perfectly fit a landline phone.
To expand the space, use glossy furniture or objects with mirrored inserts.
Reflecting surfaces from each other will play into your hands. It is acceptable for the furniture to contrast with the rest of the room. Try to keep nothing at the front door, especially if it opens into the apartment. Remember also that the depth of the cabinet, chest of drawers or cabinet should not exceed 40 cm.
If in a private house sunlight can enter the hallway, then in an apartment this is impossible. Due to the lack of windows, the corridor is deprived of natural light. Therefore, it is necessary to provide it well with artificial lighting.
Not only lamps can help with this. If you remove some interior doors, for example, those leading to the living room or kitchen, then light will enter the hallway in some way. As for the lamps, their location, number and style depend on the overall interior design.
Depending on the style, small pendant chandeliers, mounted spotlights or LED strip can be placed on the ceiling. In any case, it is advisable to refuse from one large chandelier and opt for several small light sources.
The luminaires can be positioned around the perimeter or in the middle of the ceiling.
The use of hanging chandeliers is possible only if the ceilings in the room are high. It is permissible to hang stylish sconces on the walls. They will look especially advantageous next to or opposite reflective surfaces. But consider the width of the corridor - wall lamps should not interfere with movement. It is recommended to place them at a height. two meters from floor level. It is best to use diffused light sources. Matte shades pointing upwards are suitable for this.
Individual decorative elements can also be illuminated. For example, small spotlights can be placed in paintings or photographs. It is possible to equip ledges and niches in the corridor with illumination. The LED strip will stretch along the entire length of the junction of the wall and floor. It is worth paying attention to the color of the backlights. The most optimal is yellow. It does not irritate with excessive brightness and does not put pressure on the psyche.
The beautiful interior design of a narrow corridor will help create the right colors. The classic version is from light to dark from top to bottom. The ceiling, for example, is white, the walls are made in beige, cream tones, and the color of the floor is close to natural, as an option - natural wood.
Universal recommendations for choosing a color scheme:
- The walls should be slightly darker than the ceiling. The most suitable shades are light gray, pale yellow, pale pink, blue, mint, peach, light green.
- The floor should be darker than the walls. Variants of patterns or patterns on the floor are possible. A common option is a chessboard-like floor. Possible colors: brown, dark brown, dark gray, black, a combination of black and white, dark blue.
- An interesting color scheme is dividing the wall into two horizontally using moldings. The top is usually lighter than the bottom. This choice will help to get rid of the tunnel effect of a long corridor. The molding is usually white or chosen to match the color
- Drawings and patterns should match the overall style of the hallway interior. It is better not to use vertical stripes on the wallpaper, this will narrow the room. It would be best to opt for wallpaper with a small pattern and vinyl chips, which will help to hide the unevenness of the walls.
- Don't be afraid to match colors. Wide walls can be decorated with warm shades, and narrow ones with cold ones.
- Furniture and doors should not blend in with surfaces. It is better if they contrast with the walls.
In the Khrushchev of a panel house, it is often not easy to adjust repairs to the wishes and preferences of the owners. There are a number of features that should be taken into account when decorating any room in such an apartment:
- When renovating, it is necessary to eliminate the lack of heat and sound insulation, which is inherent in panel houses. In the corridor, this can be done using a false ceiling and a high-quality expensive front door.
- During the decoration of the walls, you will have to eliminate their irregularities. About which wallpaper is better for this was mentioned above.
- Redevelopment is often impossible, since most structures are load-bearing.
- Due to the presence of reinforced concrete panels of a metal frame in the composition of the walls, problems with wall decor may arise if you decide to decorate them with suspended structures, paintings or photographs. Therefore, during the renovation, you need to build on, first of all, from the capabilities and properties of the house.
Despite the rather small area of the room, there are many design options for a narrow corridor. It all depends on your imagination.
If the corridor is long, then it may have interior doors or openings without them. For example, in a three-room apartment, most likely all the rooms will exit the hallway, which means that in the corridor we will see at least three doors, plus an entrance to the kitchen. As already mentioned, the absence of doors to the living room or kitchen can visually expand the space. In this case, an opening without a door will require a separate design.
The decoration of the aisles should be done with the same scrupulousness and accuracy as the decoration of any other details. In place of the door, you can create an arch that matches the shape and size of the entire interior. For cladding, you can use drywall, artificial stone, plastic, fiberboard panels, depending on the style of the room. Platbands should match the color of the skirting boards.
An interesting solution today is a self-leveling floor. It will hide irregularities and serve as a decorative element.
It is necessary to furnish the hallway with furniture not only practical, but also stylish. For a cramped corridor, modular designs are well suited, which will also modernize it. You can also pay tribute to modernity by using lighting in the closet, on side tables, shelves, niches, mirror frames.
The small width of the corridor can be played up with the help of paintings or family photos, turning the room into a cozy gallery. Where, if not in a narrow room, decorate the walls with similar elements. They, in turn, can also be provided with additional illumination. Decorate the walls with stone. This gives originality and sets the tone for the entire home. It is also possible to use frescoes.
If there are enough shelves, place various accessories, awards, books, art objects, decorative candles, indoor flowers of your choice on them.
Modern designs are full of a variety of styles, so choosing the right one is not difficult. Let's highlight some:
- Classical. Creates the effect of aristocracy, restraint. Among the materials used are wood, its imitation, marble. Natural colors. Elegant wooden boiserie with elements of smooth lines are well suited for decoration. The arch in the aisles will fit perfectly into the classic interior.
- Minimalism. A very popular style these days, especially when it comes to small apartments. An excellent design solution for small areas. A minimum of the most necessary functional furniture, a combination of light and dark shades, lighting close to natural. Glossy furniture is appropriate.
Provence… The room should resemble a house in a small French village. The presence of white and other light shades is inherent. Furniture is deliberately given the look of wear and tear. It is usually also white. The presence of forged elements in the interior is characteristic
Loft. Modern industrial and urban style of the interior, giving the apartment the appearance of a former factory building. It features an abundance of open space, high ceilings, brick walls, open beams and pipes, concrete floors. Styling a Soviet-style apartment as a loft is quite difficult and costly. It is easier to do this in a private house. The walls of the corridor can be finished with decorative stone, simulate a cement floor, or it can really be concrete and cold. Then a rug is needed
The loft is well suited for duplex houses and apartments. A corridor finished with decorative bricks leading to a staircase with a metal frame is a good solution for lovers of this trend in the interior.
Various little things in the interior of the hallway can be useful and functional, as well as become an element of decor. Here are some real ideas and solutions:
Stand for umbrellas. Floor vase
Wall pockets for small items
Wicker baskets and boxes on the shelves
Metal racks for outerwear
You will learn more about how to create a harmonious design for a narrow corridor in the following video.