Modern manufacturers offer a huge selection of floor coverings. They differ in quality, cost, external and operational characteristics. And among this variety, linoleum has been very popular for many years. This material can be purchased by anyone, regardless of budget. At the same time, the coating will serve you for many years without requiring special care. Today we will talk about the features and rules for choosing linoleum 5x5 meters in size.
Types of linoleum
This floor covering is subdivided into several varieties, depending on several parameters. So, based on the characteristics of the composition, linoleum can be:
- Natural. Not everyone knows, but initially linoleum appeared precisely as an environmentally friendly material made exclusively from natural components. It was made from wood resin and flour, jute, lime, and linseed oil. The composition could vary depending on the type of coating. Linoleum turned out to be hypoallergenic, absolutely safe for humans and the environment. Moreover, the service life of such a floor covering was several decades. However, for obvious reasons, the cost of such an invention was quite high. That is why natural linoleum is not so widespread, unlike its artificial counterpart.
- Synthetic. It is this type of coating that is best known to many buyers. Synthetic linoleum is made from polymers and also comes in several different types. It happens:
- Polyvinyl chloride. This is the most common type of artificial flooring. PVC linoleum is characterized by strength, high elasticity and long service life. In addition, this coating is available in various designs and colors. A distinctive feature of the polyvinyl chloride material is that it can be without a special substrate.
- Alkyd. In stores you can find this type of coating called "glyphthalic". Due to the fact that the flooring is made from jute, it provides excellent thermal insulation and noise absorption. And the presence of alkyd resin in the composition of the material significantly increases the degree of its resistance to wear. All this makes the coating very practical and durable.
- Relinov. This type of coverage is also called relin. It is the most dense, elastic and very durable material, which is characterized by incredible wear resistance and resistance to mechanical damage. Relin does not deteriorate even from a large amount of moisture. However, due to its composition, it is most often used only in industrial premises and is completely unsuitable for residential buildings.
- Nitrocellulose. Such linoleum is also characterized by excellent moisture resistance, durability, strength and elasticity. But the material did not deserve widespread use due to the fact that it is extremely flammable.
Also, linoleum differs depending on the type of substrate. It can be fabric, foamed or non-woven. In addition, it is customary to divide linoleum into three main categories, depending on the purpose of the material for a particular room.
The floor covering can be:
- Household. The name of this type of coating speaks for itself. Household linoleum is intended for residential use and is not designed for excessive use. This is the thinnest type of material of this kind. Its thickness ranges from three to seven millimeters. And the average service life of this floor covering is no more than five years. However, the exact figure depends on the intensity of use of the material.
- Semi-commercial. This version of linoleum is designed for rooms with an average degree of traffic. For example, for offices. It is noticeably denser and more durable than the previous type. It also has greater elasticity and durability.
- Commercial. This is the most durable, dense and most abrasion resistant type of material. It copes well with heavy loads. Commercial linoleum is laid in shops, hospitals, schools and other institutions that have a high degree of traffic.
Next, let's talk about the differences between synthetic flooring depending on the class of application. This designation refers to the level of material resistance to wear. Classes are designated by numbers from 21 to 43. The higher the number, the more durable and durable linoleum. So, twenty-first class flooring is suitable for bedrooms and other rooms, which are characterized by a low intensity of use. While the forty-third class of linoleum is intended for industrial premises or production workshops. And also any other spaces, which are characterized by high loads.
Depending on the wear resistance of the material, its density, elasticity and, of course, the total cost change.
What is the roll width
The width of the pavement is very important. It is extremely important to select the correct size of the material in order to lay a solid canvas on the floor. After all, the joints and seams at the junction of individual pieces look much less attractive than an even solid coating. Today, there are coating options with a minimum width of 1.5 to a width of 5 meters. There are also synthetic materials with a width of 6 m.
The choice of the optimal flooring width directly depends on the parameters of the room. It should be understood that the dimensions of the coating should be at least ten centimeters larger than the exact area of the room. Since linoleum can "sit down" during the installation process.
Take measurements as carefully as possible to avoid installation problems.
Most popular sizes
The most common options for linoleum are 2, 3, 5 meters long and wide. By the way, the length of linoleum in a roll, as a rule, reaches forty meters.
This makes it possible for the buyer to accurately purchase the canvas of the required size.
How to choose?
To purchase a floor covering that will meet all your requirements and perfectly fit the interior of the room, several parameters should be taken into account:
Purpose of space
This is an extremely important factor, since the thickness, the wear resistance indicator and the design option of linoleum directly depend on it. To begin with, all premises should be divided into two main types: residential and commercial. For the second type, you should choose the most dense, abrasion-resistant and heavy-load material options. In this case, the design of the canvas is not always of fundamental importance. However, in case you need linoleum for a beauty salon or hotel, it is very important that its design matches the decoration of the space. You should also pay special attention to the resistance of the material to moisture.
After all, the floor in this kind of space has to be washed very often.
In a situation where you need to choose a floor covering for an apartment or a country house, the situation is slightly different. Here, of fundamental importance is what kind of room the linoleum will be intended for. So, for the kitchen, bathroom and hallway, it is best to choose the most durable and durable types of coatings. After all, such premises are characterized by high traffic. Due to the peculiarities of these rooms, it is very important that the flooring is moisture resistant and does not deteriorate from frequent wet cleaning and will serve you for many years. In modern stores, there is a huge selection of flooring models that are designed specifically for kitchens and bathrooms. You will definitely not have any difficulties with the choice.
Bedrooms and living rooms do not necessarily need the strongest and densest materials. After all, such rooms are not so often visited and do not differ in a high level of humidity. However, here it is worth focusing on the appearance of linoleum. It is very important that the flooring complements and decorates the interior, and does not conflict with it. Be very responsible when choosing a coating design. Remember that a light floor, as opposed to a dark one, visually expands the space. Use this trick if you need to make repairs in a small apartment.
Also take the time to choose a linoleum design. Thanks to modern technology, you will find a huge range of different coatings in store catalogs.
These can be either monochromatic versions of light or bright colors, as well as coatings with intricate patterns, designs and ornaments.
Linoleum models that imitate a more expensive coating are very popular among buyers. For example, parquet, natural stone, tile, laminate. Today, technologists make it possible to convey with incredible accuracy not only the drawing, but also the relief of such floor coverings. So, linoleum "under the tiles" will have characteristic grooves that imitate the joints between the elements of the coating. At the same time, the cost of such linoleum will be significantly cheaper than the listed materials.
Simplicity and efficiency of installation is also added to this advantage. Even a non-professional can cope with laying linoleum, without having special tools, skills and great experience. While it takes a lot of time and effort to lay laminate or parquet flooring. And only a master with experience can cope with the work.
Among other things, you should pay attention to the additional properties of linoleum. It is very good if the floor covering is treated with special antibacterial agents. This will allow you to lay the material even in the bedroom or nursery. It is also important that the linoleum is coated with a special substance that makes it non-slippery. Thus, you will eliminate the possibility of injury if you fall on a slippery floor. It is also worth paying attention to coating models that do not deform under load, that is, the weight of furniture and other things. This will make the flooring much more practical and durable.
The thickness of linoleum and the type of substrate depends on how high its heat and sound insulating properties will be. The thicker the base, the warmer and softer the finish. Also, dense material is able to hide minor irregularities in the floor. What can not be said about thin linoleum, which can be laid exclusively on a perfectly flat surface.
It is also worth noting that you need to be extremely careful when choosing the cost of linoleum. Despite the fact that this coating is famous for its democratic price, everything should be within reasonable limits. Coverage that is too cheap can turn out to be of poor quality and toxic. The harmful substances emitted by low-grade linoleum can seriously harm your health. Therefore, you should be very careful when buying. Be sure to ask the seller for special certificates confirming the quality of the goods.
When you go to the store to shop, keep these tips in mind.
And then you will quickly and easily select the type of coverage that is ideal for your premises, and will also serve you for more than one year.
What is the best way to cut?
Even if you are laying linoleum in one piece on a perfectly flat surface, you still have to trim it. Most often, this needs to be done near walls, heating systems or doors. It is important to carry out the procedure very carefully and carefully. Work should be started only after the material has been lying in the room for a while at a stable temperature and has acquired its final shape.
To trim you need a sharp paint knife and a set of blades. There is no need to rush, it is better to divide the process into several successive stages. First, you need to cut off large pieces of excess material. Only then proceed to more precise trimming of the linoleum along the walls. Ideally, if you end up with a gap between the floor and the wall that does not exceed 1-1.5 centimeters. Be very careful, but don’t worry if you have caught too much.
All irregularities will disappear under the skirting board.
The quality of the material directly depends on the choice of the manufacturer. In today's market, there is huge competition among different companies. It should be noted that the products of both foreign and domestic manufacturers deserve attention. According to the latest ratings, Tarkett, Grabo, Forbo, Ideal, and Committee LIN have earned an excellent reputation. Linoleum of the listed manufacturers is of the highest quality at a reasonable cost. The material is very durable, strong, and safe for humans and the environment. Also, buyers will be pleased with a wide variety of models and colors.
Even the most discerning consumers will find an option to their liking.
We have considered only a few companies, in fact, there are many more worthy manufacturers. Don't be afraid to look for something new, compare prices and product features. And then you will be able to find the really perfect floor covering that suits you in all respects.
You will learn more about how to choose 5x5 meter linoleum from the following video.