Furniture items are durable goods. That is why the process of choosing a specific model takes time and a careful assessment of many factors. Knowledge of the characteristics of a product, its quality and price characteristics, manufacturers and specifics of production, modern style trends is the basis on which the main criteria for its selection are formed.
Features of the
The traditional popularity of solid wood desks is due to the special characteristics that are inherent in it:
- High strength, and hence durability. Such a desk is often used by several generations of owners;
- Environmental friendliness. Wood, unlike, for example, artificial materials does not emit unpleasant odors and does not harm health, since the texture of the material is a natural composition, in which there are no harmful impurities;
No one doubts the aesthetics and beauty of such products. Wood is a relatively malleable structure for processing, allowing you to create beautiful carved forms, stylishly decorate products in accordance with the general interior design. And varnished wooden surfaces retain their pleasant appearance for a long time
However, wood reacts to moisture and can become moldy. Therefore, wooden surfaces are covered with special protective compounds.
It is also important that the cost of solid wood products is relatively high, which, however, is offset by the durability and prestige of this furniture. There are different types of solid wood desks, which are classified according to different characteristics. If we talk about classic models, then cabinet tables, office tables and tables for schoolchildren are distinguished by purpose:
For office tables traditional products of this class are characterized by massive dimensions (up to 2 m long) and a fundamental table top. Comfort, convenience and pronounced stability are their main qualities. Capacious drawers are usually placed side by side and equipped with locking devices. The size of the seating position allows for a solid and comfortable chair. The wear resistance of such tables is high, since they usually use hard species - cherry, beech, oak, walnut. The performance design of such tables is very diverse and may contain carved decorations, inlays, as well as leather-covered countertops
For office desks the factor of functionality is more important when “everything is at hand”. These tables are made from less expensive types of wood. Structurally, they can be executed in different shapes, for example, corner tables, in the form of the letter "g" or "p", which is again determined by their functionality and features of the placement of each product. Often, such tables have additional furniture - various niches, space for a computer, desktop and floor boxes, shelves. The basis for the manufacture of this type of writing desks are less expensive types of wood, such as pine. The design of the product is, as a rule, businesslike, laconic, with a consistent color scheme
The main criteria for the selection desks for schoolchildren is also their functionality, while it is important to take into account the age and height of the child. The student's position at the table should not cause feelings of tension and discomfort. A school desk usually contains drawers for student items, a curbstone is located on the right or left of the table. The table top should be spacious. The service life of the school desk can be significantly increased if it has height adjustment, that is, it is made "for growth." Desks located in bedrooms should be in harmony with their interior and color scheme of the space of the premises
For example, if the Provence style dominates, then it is appropriate to use a light shade of the table with a relaxed carved pattern; for art deco bedrooms, a dark table color with glossy surfaces is suitable. Today, desks with an unusual, non-standard shape are often on sale. This includes a console table, a bureau table.
Console table appropriate if there is a need to save space, it is a relatively adequate replacement for a large writing desk in a functional sense. The peculiarities of such tables are their small dimensions, due to which these tables can be placed even in the hallway, where you can put a phone, put a notebook or other necessary items. Console tables are made in different styles and can be carved, patterns, various decorative fragments
Bureau table - a product with an unusual design and a long history. The idea of such a table was realized in the era of classicism. With a relatively small size, this product is extremely functional and convenient, since it perfectly realizes the idea of "everything at hand". The table top of the product is folding, behind which there is a convenient place for storing various accessories. It is convenient to place such a table in various rooms, since it does not take up much space, and its stylistic characteristics are diverse and may also contain elements of artistic decor
The quality of wood products in general and, in particular, the external design of the desk, its aesthetics directly depend on the quality characteristics of the wood species from which it is made. However, like its cost, and therefore this question is far from idle. There are several groups of furniture, divided according to the type of wood used in the manufacture: from exotic species, from valuable species, from hard wood, and medium-soft wood. Soft woods are practically not used in the manufacture of furniture.
So the materials:
Exotic group It is represented by plants from strong rocks such as amaranth, eucalyptus, bakout, wenge, iron and mahogany, suar, teak, jatoba and others. The wood of these trees has increased strength, due to the peculiarities of the fibrous structure of the material, which is not very susceptible to deformation, and for this reason, furniture made of it can be in damp or dry conditions for a long time without damage
- Group of precious wood species, is subdivided into hard and medium soft wood. Acacia, beech, birch, hevea, oak, cherry, elm, walnut, larch, cherry, ash and others are distinguished from domestic varieties of hard species. Furniture made from such wood is durable and can be used for centuries. For example, in conditions of high humidity, larch, which does not rot, can serve as a relatively inexpensive and practical domestic material for the countertop.
- In the production of desks, not only the solid wood of these species is used, but also veneer (thin sheet of wood) from which a special artistic drawing is created. Such inlay, for example, countertops, can only be done by professionals.
Most widely used medium soft breeds, which are represented by pine, spruce, pear, cedar, maple, linden, alder and other plants. This wood has a pliable texture, rich colors, convenient and easy to process, which explains the relatively low cost. For example, pine products are almost two times cheaper than natural oak products
Colors and decor
In the process of implementing color solutions, whether it be an office or an apartment, it is important to take into account that the color scheme of various woods has the richest spectrum of all kinds of color shades, the variability of which has numerous tone ratios. Even one breed can have dozens of different shades depending on the conditions in which it is grown, stored or processed. For example, a fresh cut of a wenge tree has a golden brown tint, but later its color changes to a pronounced dark brown. Thanks to the amazing classic chocolate color with beautiful veins, there is even a special term "Color under wenge".
It is important to know that almost any wood material changes its color also after processing with various compounds (varnishes, oils, etc.). At the same time, some tree species change color slightly, while others - to a significant extent.
Traditionally, tree species are divided into three groups according to light, dark and red colors. Light, in turn, are subdivided into subgroups with shades: whitish, pink, grayish, yellow:
- The first includes spruce, oak, beech, ash, maple, birch, hevea, larch, yellow acacia and other plants.
- The second - maple, cherry, alder, pear, sweet cherry and others.
- The third - products from walnut, ash, white acacia.
- The fourth - Karelian birch, pine, chestnut, boxwood.
Light breeds look great in the interiors of living rooms, kitchens, hallways. Rosewood is widely used in bedroom furniture.
Ebony, wenge and bog oak have a dark color. Such furniture, as a rule, is used to equip large rooms with interiors in light colors.
Cherry, kempas, paduk and a number of other plants have a red texture. Products made from them look exquisite.
Teak, eucalyptus, walnut, rosewood, merbau and other plants are brown in color.
Wood is aesthetically pleasing with wood carvings, various kinds of inlays and decorations that can even be made for a folding model. The beauty of the pattern and woody texture is inimitable and unique it cannot be reproduced by any synthetics. Such furniture can decorate almost any interior.
The choice of a desk involves taking into account the dimensions of the product. In this sense, the question of its typical parameters is relevant. A small-sized one-side table (for example, for an office) in its typical version can have overall dimensions of 1300 × 600 × 760 mm. The length of the desk usually varies within 1-2 m. The most popular sizes: 1x1 meter or 1.2x0.8 meters. Height - about 70 cm.
If the desk is made to order, then the customer's wishes are a priority for the contractor. It is assumed that the customer before ordering made all the necessary measurements, took into account the interior features, as well as the characteristics of a specific consumer of products (for example, a schoolchild).
Often, the performer is invited to the office or apartment for a qualified consultation, the formation of an order and the implementation of the necessary measurements.
In the recent past, most of the companies producing natural wood furniture were mainly represented by foreign firms. Today, Russian manufacturers are also quite successful in this market segment. Among them is a furniture factory ReVerto from Tambov (products from valuable wood species, mainly from oak), Saransk furniture factory "Orimex" (solid oak constructions), as well as the company "Alliance XXI century" from Vladimir (products from solid oak).
Small-scale production of furniture in Russia is practically undeveloped, which is caused by the high cost of production, personnel problems and the high cost of the final product.
Today in Russia, furniture products from Belarus, Malaysia and Indonesia are in great demand. The last two countries are mainly engaged in the production of tables from exotic plants and more often red wood. Craftsmen from Belarus make products from oak, ash, beech and hornbeam. Polesie factories have been traditionally known in Russia for a long time and produce good quality products:
- Table "Milana" (Belarus) from the oak massif of the "Pinskdrev" factory. Dimensions - 1894x924x778 mm. Cost - about 100 thousand rubles;
- Another well-known manufacturer from Belarus - the company "Belfan" - produces a popular table from an oak massif "Marseille-039". Has a convenient bureau add-on. The cost of the product is about 99 thousand rubles.
Stylish ideas in the interior
Modern design models are developed in several directions:
- Futurism … It is represented by desks of original forms, made of modern materials. However, traditional solid wood desks in this context have quite a stylish and futuristic look;
- Classic design feeds on ideas from the past. The latest design options for furniture are developed as analogues of old royal interiors, tables for military campaigns, aristocratic bureaus and secretaries of the 19th century;
- Mixing different styles and directions goes along the path of developing projects of original tables. For example, they combine classic elements and a glass tabletop of an original form.
In spite of everything, the classics (the use of solid wood, carved legs, facades of valuable wood species) are always in vogue. So, now you can define a system of criteria for choosing a desk:
- Harmonious combination with the space and interior of the room;
- Reliability and durability of natural solid wood;
- The color palette of the product should not distract from the solution of work tasks;
- The materials used must be environmentally friendly;
- Optimal overall dimensions and the required number of boxes;
- Smooth and practical worktop surface.
In the next video you will find an overview of the Caesar oak desk.