A computer desk, like any furniture, is selected individually for the needs of each person. The main criterion is convenience and comfort while working at the table. The second most important criterion is sufficient space, taking into account additional organizational technology, various objects and everything that is supposed to be located on it.
For example, it is envisaged that a computer monitor, speakers, a printer, a keyboard and a computer mouse will be on the table. They should fit without interfering with each other and without creating problems at the time of use for the person working at the table. Today we will talk about the size of the computer desk.
It is always better to consider the standard size of a computer table starting from the smallest values, not counting the height, other sizes can be increased without restrictions.
An improperly selected height of the desktop can cause visual impairment and curvature of the spine. In addition, during work, a person gets tired faster and feels discomfort. The height of the table affects the position in which a person will sit while working behind it. A very low table makes you stoop your back and lean forward a little, and a high table, in turn, forces you to keep your head up.
The body should be in the following position: straight back, forearms are relaxed and freely positioned on the table, shoulders are not raised, muscles are relaxed. At the same time, your feet should stand straight, completely touching the bottom of the floor.
The standard height of a computer desk is 750 mm or 75 cm. It is calculated based on the average height of men - about 175 cm and women - about 162 cm. The height of the table can be calculated independently using the following formula: height (cm) x 75 cm / 175 cm = table height. However, if there is a significant difference in height among family members, this formula is of little use. Therefore, it is better to choose the standard height. Errors of a few cm will not make it difficult to work at all, and the table is suitable for all households.
If the height is very small or, conversely, large, for example, 150 or 190 cm, then there are several possible options that will help solve this problem:
- Chair height adjustment. This solution is suitable for low users, a footrest is required.
- Table ordering individually according to your parameters.
- Adjustable table top. Such models are especially popular among schoolchildren, they, like the chair, are customizable.
The width of the table should not be too small or large, otherwise it will be extremely inconvenient to work at such a table. Corner models are standard in widths from 160 to 170 cm. Narrow tables can be made with a width of 120 or 130 cm. Straight tables - from 100 cm.
However, the width depends on several factors:
- 60-70 cm is the minimum area designed specifically for the comfortable position of the user. The maximum value is 80-95 cm.
- The compartment for the system unit should take at least 20-30 cm.
- It is better to foresee a place for the curbstone in advance, it will take 30-40 cm, which add to the width of the table itself.
- Models with a corner structure should have a countertop swivel space of about 50-60 cm.
All sizes of a computer desk depend on its depth. When calculating the depth, take into account the following:
- Tables without superstructures must have a minimum depth of 45 cm.
- In the presence of superstructures, the depth increases and is 60-70 cm.
- In the presence of drawers, this parameter is at least 65 cm.
- Corner tables with shelves are at least 85 cm deep.
A fairly popular and common version of a computer desk, along with a simple straight one, is a corner one. Its main advantage is its compactness and economy in relation to space, which is especially appreciated in small apartments. It is also more accommodating due to design features.
The duration of work at the table is due to the correct seating position of the person and easy accessibility to all objects. And the corner table, due to its shape, in itself already constitutes the very working "triangle".
The advantages of the model:
- The monitor should be positioned at least 50 cm from your eyes. It turns out that the tabletop should have a width of at least 60 cm, and 50 cm is already a strong violation and deviation from the norm. In corner tables, this condition is much easier to fulfill, because the user is ultimately in this "triangle" anyway.
- Facilitated access to all items on the table.
- The system unit can be removed further so that it does not occupy an extra curbstone and does not get in the way.
- Additional add-ons are also within an accessible radius, there is no need to reach for them across the entire table.
In total, there are 2 forms of computer corner tables, depending on the location of the monitor and keyboard:
- Diagonal arrangement - the person sits clearly diagonally, the face is directed towards the corner. This is mainly what distinguishes mini-models. The downside is little functionality. The bedside tables are mostly open, there are no retractable parts. However, this solution is perfect for very tight spaces where space is severely limited.
- Diagonally perpendicular arrangement - the face also looks towards the corner, but you can always turn towards the wall or towards the window, that is, perpendicularly. Tables are quite large (at least 130-140 cm in each direction). But functionally they are much higher, it is possible to equip the workplace almost completely.
Additional superstructures depend on the shape of the product (diagonal or diagonally perpendicular). They are rather bulky and take up a large area:
- Diagonal option. The table is very small, which must be taken into account. The length of the side of the table is only 60-70 cm, sometimes even less. In this case, add-ons are extremely rare. Most preferable is a bedside table, which will still protrude beyond the table.
- Diagonally perpendicular model. Its advantage is a rather long side table top that can be used as a desk. For these models, the superstructure of one stand is not enough and often they represent a rather complex structure with adjustment. Vertical space is actively used and, despite their cumbersomeness, these models are in demand.
Tables with shelving are also divided into different types:
- Diagonal. The design is the same on both sides. Convenient for working with documentation, as the shelves allow you to conveniently place all folders. Not suitable for home, does not harmonize with the interior and serves exclusively as a working, office option.
- Diagonally perpendicular. One roomy shelving unit on the left or right side. Such models look impressive, there may be several shelves and tiers. The interior looks interesting and unusual.
Tables with drawers and shelves:
- Diagonal. In these models, the design is very limited and therefore the boxes are rarely installed due to their bulkiness. In most cases, there are simply open shelves at the bottom.
- Diagonally perpendicular. Given the large size of these tables, it is quite possible to fit one or two drawers for storing various things that are difficult to fit and fold neatly on an open shelf.
Given the complexity of the organization, you can buy a corner computer table for little money. Of course, the more complex the design, the more the price rises. Many of the models are made of chipboard, and its cost as a starting material is low.
Some of the most common models, in ascending order:
- Model from the Sokol factory, belonging to the category of simplified but compact options - "Russell". The shape is trapezoidal, there are no superstructures, the sidewall is quite long - 90 cm. Although the table is small in size, the shape provides good capacity, thanks to separate compartments for the system unit and a separate place for the printer. Provides a movable shelf for keyboard and mouse. The price of such a table is 3200 rubles.
- A similar model, only with an add-on, but no separate place for a printer - "PKS-7" … The cost is also 3200 rubles.
- "Falcon". The sides are 98 cm long, the model is very deep. Its structure is the same on both edges, there are bedside tables with pull-out drawers, a compartment for the system unit and symmetrically located superstructures. The table is shaped like a sector of a circle. The cost is 7300 rubles.
- "KST 101" from the Sokol factory, has little functionality, but an interesting design. This model has no compartments at the bottom, and the shape has a non-standard solution. The superstructure looks like an elongated oval, which includes the top shelf and borders the monitor. The location can be either in one direction or in several directions at the same time. The price of such an unusual table is 9,300 rubles.
- "COP 2020" - the most typical representative of the combined model with a wardrobe and a table, perpendicular placement. Price - 11,500 rubles. A similar model, only with a wider placement in several directions, is offered by the furniture store "Mebeline" for 10,700 rubles.
What to look for when choosing?
A few simple tips:
When choosing a computer desk, it is important to immediately decide where and in what place it will stand. If you intend to place the table near the wall, then in this case it is better to pay attention to the rectangular model. Small triangular tables are usually installed in the corners of the premises. Whichever model you choose, it is important that it is convenient and comfortable to work with
Therefore, the tabletop plays an important role, namely its depth. In the process of work, a computer monitor should fit on it and there should be a place for working at the table with various papers and documents.
- The table top, cut in a semicircular shape, increases the so-called girth area. It will allow you to have access to all objects on the table, without having to reach for them.
- A separate shelf for placing the keyboard should be slightly below the table top. This will greatly save space on the work surface of the table. However, a pull-out shelf is convenient only if there is free space in the room and its presence is by no means necessary.
- Sometimes there is a sliding shelf for a computer mouse in the models, but it is convenient only if you do not use it often.
- If organizational equipment is bought in the future, then it is necessary to have separate shelves in order to conveniently place it. A compartment for the system unit is required.
- It is also important that there is enough room for a comfortable leg position. There should be an opportunity to move closer. Therefore it is important to consider the design of the table and the placement of the legs.
- It will not be superfluous to have wheels on legs for movement at the table. In this case, he is able to change his place without problems.
- Modern models are equipped with special disguised slots to hide the wires, of course, they are more expensive, but invisible wires look better aesthetically.
Material from which the table is made:
- Today, the most common are wooden tables due to their low price. But metal also began to be in great demand.
- Wooden models are mainly assembled from chipboard (particle board) due to its cheapness. Solid wood structures are impractical and rare. They are very expensive and more appropriate for decorating offices or keeping the old style.
- When purchasing a chipboard table, they look at the thickness of the countertop (at least 1 cm or 10 mm) and the quality of the outer coating. As a standard, starting with the most budgetary options, the outer layer should protect the surface itself from resins and mechanical damage. Sometimes unscrupulous manufacturers, in order to save money, leave the rear edges open, with the expectation that they will stand close to the wall and will not be visible.
Also, the edges should be covered with a protective edging (edging), which will keep them from premature wear. It can be metal or plastic, and is attached by gluing or cutting into the edge of the table top. To prevent objects from rolling off the table, its longitudinal edge is made slightly higher than the level of the main surface. In general, wooden models are reliable and not too expensive, however, attachment points may crumble during assembly.
- Metal computer tables are an iron frame and a glass or wooden table surface. They are stronger and last much longer than wooden ones, but often do not harmonize with the interior of the apartment. Therefore, I often use them in offices. Usually the starting material is aluminum or stainless steel.
- A table with a glass top is perfect for high-tech apartments. The thickness of the glass is 1 cm or 10 mm. The disadvantages of glass are its soiling and temperature, the surface is rather cold. The advantages are that dirt is cleaned off much easier and the product is practically not subject to mechanical damage, for example, scratches.
When choosing fittings, they look at several important details: Sliding shelf guides should be made of metal, so they will last a long time, unlike plastic. The table on casters must have a locking mechanism to fix its position.
When choosing a table by size, it is important to take into account the size of the space allocated for it. The width of the tabletop should be at least 60 cm so that the computer monitor is located about one meter from the eyes. Its length should correspond to the purpose, whether it will only house a monitor or also a place for additional equipment, work with papers.
The table must be at least 75 cm high. So that the center point of the monitor is slightly below eye level. Some models are equipped with a special adjustable stand. A pull-out shelf for a keyboard and a computer mouse should comfortably place these objects on itself. You cannot chase fashion and minimalism, otherwise it will be simply inconvenient to use them in your work.
As for the color, you should stick to light tones. A coating that is too dark will contrast strongly with the bright screen of the monitor and cause discomfort to the eyes. In addition, dust quickly settles on a dark surface.
For information on how to choose a computer desk, see the next video.