When purchasing a floor covering, buyers first evaluate its appearance. But, in addition to how your floor will look externally, you need to think about the quality of the product, find out what it consists of, what wood is used, pay attention to environmental safety, practicality and cost.
What is a parquet board
Parquet board is a floor covering made of several layers. For the outer layer, valuable wood veneer is used, which is coated with varnish or oil. The inner layer is made from cheap wood. This layer is placed perpendicular to the top and equipped with special locks for fixing the boards to each other. It provides protection against the negative effects of temperature and humidity fluctuations. The bottom layer must provide the necessary rigidity to prevent sagging.
Varieties of parquet boards
Before choosing parquet flooring, you need to know how the different types differ. Parquet board is different:
- Single-lane. The upper decorative layer consists of one sheet, the wood pattern looks clear and pleasing to the eye.
- Two-way. The top layer consists of two lamellas, which fit close to each other.
- Three-lane. The outer layer consists of three lamellas, offset in length. The difference between a three-strip board is in the presence of a pattern in the form of a braid or a herringbone.
- Four-lane. It is made in the same way as the previous one, only it includes four lamellas.
Features of single-strip parquet flooring
This flooring material is characterized by the presence of corner bevels that simulate the seam between the floorboards. This feature makes it possible to use the deck method of laying during work. It is advisable to use such material for laying in spacious rooms; it will not look good in small rooms. Floorboards are usually 180-200 mm wide, although much narrower options can be found.
A floor made of such a material is similar to a monolithic structure.
A single-strip parquet material looks like a solid board, since its outer canvas is not divided into separate segments. Has the following advantages:
- Good wear resistance;
- Outwardly looks attractive;
- Ease of installation;
- Relatively low price (compared to a solid wood board).
Despite the abundance of pluses, the single-strip parquet board also has minuses:
- A single-strip parquet material is much more expensive than a two- or three-strip;
- Such a product can only be laid on a very flat base and with the help of an adhesive;
- Reacts to temperature and humidity changes;
- Easily deformed.
Wood for making
Suitable for production are such types of wood, which have good wear resistance and durability:
- Oak… It is most popular because it has strong and durable wood. Products from this tree are of high quality, since they do not rot, are not exposed to fungus, do not change shape, do not dry out and look beautiful;
- Beech. Products made from it have a light shade, are resistant to moisture and are durable;
- American walnut. The coating of it is strong and durable, it is distinguished by the amazing beauty of the pattern of dark brown wood.
Boards are available in various lengths from half a meter to three meters.The width of the boards can be from 6 to 45 centimeters (generally 10-20 cm). The thickness of the web is usually 15-22 mm. The thicker, the more reliable and durable the coating will be. The parquet board has 3 layers forming the final thickness:
- The bottom layer consists of coniferous wood veneer, its thickness is about 2 mm;
- The central layer - the largest in thickness, consists of several layers of thin coniferous veneer, connected with glue;
- The top layer is a decorative layer of the most valuable wood species.
Differences in sorting
Depending on the type of cut, there are different types of sorting:
- Natures. In the coating there are knots up to 4 mm in diameter, the color of the products is more saturated, the pattern is heterogeneous and "lively", the cost is relatively low;
- Select. The texture of this coating is uniform, the board has a high price;
- Country or rustic. The material may have small knots, stains and imperfections. The cost is low, it is used most often in country houses;
- Economy or robust. The most inexpensive material in which various defects are allowed.
How to choose?
Buying flooring based on external data alone is not quite the right way, especially if you are purchasing material in dark colors. Such a coating looks, of course, spectacular, but caring for it is difficult. If such varnished parquet is scratched, very noticeable light stripes are formed. If you certainly want to have a dark finish, then choose one that which is covered with matte varnish or oil.
Scratches on the surface with a two-color contrasting pattern will be invisible - a brushed board will hide such flaws. On the canvas, which has different color tones, individual flaws and dust are not very noticeable. It will be more practical to varnish a light board, and oil or wax a dark one.
It is difficult to pick up the color of the parquet board from the photo, so for the right choice you need to go to the store. It is better if you do this during the day to determine the color in natural light.
When buying, you need to know that in one batch of flooring material there may be different shades, this is especially noticeable in mahogany. If you want to smooth out these differences, then tint can be done.
When choosing a material for parquet consider its thickness. If you take a 7 mm thick canvas, then in the event of a breakdown, scraping will not work, since the topcoat is made of thin veneer. Material with a thickness of 10 mm will require careful handling, as it is easily susceptible to deterioration. It is preferable if you choose a material with a thickness of 13-15 mm, which is the most reliable. The decorative layer of such a board is 4 mm. In houses where the floor is arranged on logs or in apartments with a black floor in the form of a concrete screed, it is preferable to use a thick parquet board of 20-25 mm.
The purchase of a single-strip parquet board will allow you to obtain a high-quality floor covering that combines the beauty and dignity of natural wood and the latest technologies.
For information on how to properly lay a parquet board, see the next video.