The idea to decorate the walls with parquet appeared relatively recently. However, it is becoming more and more popular. Many are trying to bring novelty to the interior in this way. Some find this finish to be much easier than others. And someone chooses it as an alternative option for decorating the walls with wood, considering wall parquet to be the same environmentally friendly material, but more acceptable in cost.
Features and types
Parquet is a natural, environmentally friendly material that is a worthy alternative to wood. In the classic version, it looks like small planks. However, there are several types of it.
By performance variations
Block parquet - this is exactly the same classic version mentioned. Each individual plank has beveled edges at the end. The width of this option ranges from 3 to 10 cm, the length is up to half a meter, and the thickness in most cases is no more than 15 mm. Block parquet is distinguished depending on the material from which it is made. It is made from various types of wood, mainly deciduous plants. Oak is often found
Conifers are used much less frequently due to the large number of knots.
Shieldova - is a tile, on the outside of which piece parquet is glued in a certain sequence. The underside of the shield is usually made of coniferous trees, and the outside is made of hard deciduous species. The thickness of this parquet is approximately 8 mm. Panel parquet flooring is different in its color variations and patterns
Mosaic option - these are strips of various shapes and colors, from which you can make up a variety of patterns. The outer side of the cover is protected by a paper casing, which is removed after installation. It is usually glued with glue. This option is less common than the others
By material of manufacture
There are the following varieties:
- Oak - a material that is quite often used for the manufacture of parquet. It has excellent performance characteristics. As a rule, it has a cool, beautiful shade.
- Beech parquet, like the first option, is considered a wear-resistant coating. Differs in a warm range of shades.
- Ash parquet known for its unusual texture - its pattern has many stripes.
- Maple it is also quite often used in the manufacture of parquet, but it can change its color over time. The light tone becomes somewhat darker.
- Walnut parquet has a reddish tint and a beautiful pattern.
- Bamboo the coating is considered one of the most wear-resistant, it is absolutely not afraid of moisture.
- Cherry gives the parquet a pinkish tint. But over time, it can darken.
- Hornbeam - the material is relatively inexpensive, since the technology of its production is not so complicated, it gives the parquet noble light shades.
- Cork parquet - absolutely not afraid of moisture. Differs in its softness and elasticity. When moisture gets in, it is first absorbed into the coating, and then evaporates without causing any harm to it.
Linden is the leader among all materials. It is the most common material used for wall coverings. It is distinguished by its unpretentiousness and long service life. The material contains essential oils, which stand out and have a beneficial effect on a person
By means of processing
When purchasing parquet, you will surely come across the fact that the instructions will indicate how the wall parquet is processed. There can be two options:
- Varnish - impregnates wood and creates a smooth film on its surface. It can impart both a glossy shine and a matte finish to the surface.
- Butter - impregnates wood and creates a protective film. It differs in that it gives the treated surface a matte finish. With tactile contact, the texture of the wood will be felt, which cannot be the case when the parquet is varnished.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the advantages of such a wall covering, one can note the creation of an atmosphere of peace and comfort in the room. The naturalness of the composition is an important and positive factor in the use of wall parquet. With the help of panel options, you can finish the wall of any shape, and the size of the panels allows you to do this relatively quickly. At all times, wood was considered a noble material and walls with a similar finish look expensive. Wall parquet is an excellent sound and heat insulation in the room.
If we talk about the shortcomings - first of all, they consider the need to install a base or frame for wall mounting. And this is accompanied by a decrease in the total area of the room. Few people know, but parquet flooring increases the sound output. This must be taken into account when installing it.
For the installation of wall parquet, it is necessary to prepare a frame on which it will be attached. For this, wooden beams up to 5 cm wide, which are attached to the wall at a distance of about 30-40 cm from each other, are perfect.
If the design of the walls provides for the vertical installation of parquet, then the beams should be placed horizontally, otherwise vertically.
It is better to use a cleaimer for fixing parquet. Since nails can lead to cracks and chips on the surface of the material. At the finishing stage, if the coating is not processed, you must do it yourself, using varnish or oil.
After installation or during operation, it is often necessary to seal the cracks in order to avoid moisture absorption into the wood. For small gaps, you can use varnish. If their width is more than half a centimeter, it is worth resorting to using putty.
For more details on how to install wall parquet, see the next video.
How to choose?
Today's fashion trends make it possible to install parquet not only on the floor, but also on the wall. Moreover, it is clear that the load on the wall parquet is not the same as on the floor. Therefore, you should not strive to buy a coating that can withstand colossal loads.
The color of the coating depends on what material it is made of. Most often, wall options are made from linden. This is not easy, because this wood species is durable and releases beneficial essential oils.
Linden has a warm shade. If you want to create a cool color or an unusual pinkish look, look for oak or cherry.
When choosing parquet flooring for a bedroom, remember that the sound output from such a coating is higher than from the rest. Think about whether you are ready for this.
If not, it may be worth decorating not all walls with such a coating, but one. For example, at the headboard. In the living room, this option is perfect, because the effect of watching blockbusters will be higher.
With a high level of humidity in the room, you need to be very careful in choosing, because the tree is quite sensitive to such factors. Cork parquet, in this case, is perfect. After all, he is absolutely not afraid of moisture.