Renovation can transform an apartment beyond recognition. A small dark room after a competent rearrangement and cosmetic decoration may seem much more spacious and more pleasant. And in order for the finishing and redevelopment of the apartment to be successful, you must have minimal knowledge in the field of design and architecture. It is not necessary to graduate from a university or take special courses for this. The advice of professional architects will help you with furniture selection, wall decoration and zoning planning.
Where to start repairs?
Many people are interested in this question. Not at all with the purchase of furniture or building materials. The first thing owners should do is assess the area and capabilities of the premises, and then draw up a work plan.
- Find out everything about your apartment: the height of the ceilings, the area, the length and width of each room, which walls are load-bearing and which are not. This information is the main thing that is needed for redevelopment and even for the selection of new furniture. Calculate your budget at the same time. Depending on the income, the renovation will be carried out “on a grand scale” or will be carried out in such a way as to minimize expenses.
- Choose the style of your apartment based on your budget and space.
- Make a rough plan of the renovated apartment: where to put the furniture, how to paint the walls, and so on. This plan will be further adjusted.
- After choosing a style, find a store in which the furniture is as close as possible to the appearance you need. At the same time, it is not necessary to limit yourself to furniture hypermarkets: decent things can also be found at the flea market. Pick up building materials - wallpaper, paint, laminate or linoleum, tiles and more.
- When all the materials and furniture are selected, adjust the drawn renovation plan.
- Find the right workers (or prepare yourself) and start transforming your home.
The greatest attention should be paid to the problems of floor space, the selection of furniture and color combinations.
Few know how to choose a style depending on the budget and the size of the premises. You should choose one of the currently popular styles:
These styles are best suited to a modern apartment. Country, rustic and other options, where the central part is occupied by wood products, it is better not to use. These styles are good for a country house, but a small urban space will make it dark and visually cramped.
This style is suitable for large spaces. The main elements of the direction are rough brickwork or its imitation, which is most often of a natural shade (red), as well as open copper pipes, textured wood and metal elements. If the apartment does not have panoramic windows and high ceilings, this style will overload the interior too.
You should pay attention to this style:
- owners of large apartments;
- those who are going to rent housing.
Loft-style renovations in rented housing will help minimize pollution and wall defects. Chips and scratches in the brickwork, which may be left by residents, will be invisible. Loft is also a budget option. If the apartment is located in a brick house, then to create textured walls, it is enough to scrape off the plaster and cover the original bricks with a varnish.
The furniture is not pretentious, but textured: textile or glossy leather sofas, wooden tabletops with copper legs. Often used are black chalkboards, bar counters, and other bar decor. By the way, the bar counter is the best solution for small kitchens. Additional kitchen cabinets can be placed under the tall counters, and the countertops themselves are narrow and usually only 30 cm wide. Often, bar counters are made instead of a window sill.
If the space of the apartment is small, but you still want to use brick walls, you can cover the masonry with white paint. White color visually expands the space, besides, it perfectly reflects light and makes the room brighter.
A style that is more suitable for decorating a room for a teenage girl or an apartment for a young girl. Men are unlikely to appreciate the delicate combination of white and purple, and children will quickly stain branded furniture and light coatings on walls and floors. Therefore, this option is not recommended for people with family or pets.
Provence style advantages:
- visually expands the space;
- the room seems fresher, so residents rarely experience hot flashes of depression;
- Light furniture with subtle curves is easy to find at a budget price: it is produced, among other things, by Ikea.
However, in Russia, Provence needs to be diluted with woody and green accents. The combination of white and purple, blue in winter will seem too cold, oppress the owners. So that the tenants are not overtaken by the feeling of cold Warm decor can be purchased in advance. And also in the cold season, change curtains, paintings, pots for warmer and brighter ones. Then the room will be transformed and become closer to the Scandinavian style (it is in Scandinavia that they practice changing the decor to a brighter one in winter).
This is an ideal solution if you are the owner of an apartment with a modest footage. The main conditions for creating an interior in this style are a minimum of details, simple furniture lines, no bulky wall modules and tall cabinets.
Minimalism prefers open storage systems and low dressers. The walls are decorated in light, best of all - white. Furniture is chosen in a single color: wood shade (light, birch or oak), glass or occasionally metal. To diversify the interior, you can use floor tiles of the same color scheme, but with a different pattern, pots with plants.
An important attribute of the minimalist style is the predominance of natural light. Curtains should not interfere with daylight, you should not fill the windowsill with knick-knacks.
You should pay attention to this style:
- owners of very narrow apartments with low ceilings;
- lovers of cleanliness and simple design;
- for specialists in creative professions - creators will be able to concisely decorate the interior with 1-3 paintings, work notes or musical instruments, and it will be easier to get along in an apartment with a minimum of decor.
This is functionality and budget, as well as what we see in Ikea catalogs. The interiors are dominated by light and gray shades, there are infrequent bright accents. The furniture is in soothing natural shades, but all the textiles and decor are interesting and eye-catching.
- budget. Simple furniture of a low price category is decorated with cheap (but high-quality) textiles with interesting prints, simple paintings. As a result, little things make the interior unique and attractive, and the owner does not spend money on custom-made furniture and artsy textiles;
- simplicity and creativity. The main rule of the Scandinavian style is openness to experimentation. When creating an interior in this style, you can hastily paint the legs of wooden furniture, add curtains to simple beds, change cabinet handles, and the like. That is, you can act boldly and not rack your brains when selecting parts. Little will spoil neutral furniture.
This choice will be optimal for young people who are taking their first steps in the field of renovation, as well as for family people. Scandinavian designers have developed many beautiful solutions for the "adult" interior, and for children's bedrooms and playrooms.
Ready-made design solutions
It is sometimes impossible to imagine how the apartment will look after the renovation. Below are the already implemented projects of various styles - before and after photos.
They will help you finally decide on the style of re-registration of the apartment:
Children's room in the Scandinavian style. The couch, bedside table and chest of drawers shown in the last photo can be purchased in the Ikea chain of stores. An option for those who want to convert the nursery into a teenager's room at a minimum cost. Such repairs will cost 50-100 thousand, depending on the details. Notice how, after removing the bright green accent from the room, she transformed and began to seem more mature
Bathroom in modern style. The multicolored tiles are noteworthy here. This is a new design trend in recent years: this solution looks good in the hallway, bathroom and toilet. And on the wall, a similar tile can be located in the kitchen area
Minimalistic changes in the design of the kitchen. Only the handles and the color of the walls have changed, but the interior has been completely renewed. This is a useful life hack for those who want to make cosmetic repairs with a budget of several thousand rubles
If you are in doubt about your own abilities, it is recommended that you consult a professional before starting repairs. A budget consultation option is the selection of furniture and the choice of its arrangement in a furniture hypermarket. With the help of computer programs, the employee will select color combinations and specific furniture for you. Only the decor will remain on you.
A professional designer, on the other hand, will solve all the issues, including the problems of decor, and will devote more time to the project. However, his services will cost more. Original ideas can be applied even in a panel house.
We will tell you all about interesting apartment design ideas in the next video.