For modern multi-storey buildings 40 sq. meters is the standard area of an apartment. Khrushchevkas are usually smaller, and the 40-square-meter dwellings are more spacious. Here it is already possible to translate into reality the most daring design ideas, more variety is allowed - many choose just such a project.
You can not only create a stylish design, but also divide the space into specific zones: children's and common living room, hall and bedroom.
The main problem may be that it is quite difficult to organize such a space rationally. When making repairs, you will need to highlight different zones:
- living room;
- place to work;
- if necessary, a nursery.
It is quite difficult, but possible. To make everything work out without unnecessary problems, it is recommended to decorate the apartment in a certain style.
If you want the space to be as functional as possible, you can opt for a two-level apartment, but this option, of course, is not suitable for everyone.
Thinking over the design of an apartment with an area of 40 sq. m, you need to take into account certain recommendations. You also cannot do without design flair and good taste. You can zone the space using pieces of furniture. To do this, you can choose:
If the layout is correct, you can visually make more of even a relatively small apartment. To save space in the room as much as possible, you can buy not a bed, but a transforming sofa. If this option does not suit you, simply slide the sofa and bed together - back to back. This will create a rather isolated place: a leisure area and a sleeping area.
If you want to use different bright elements in a small room, remember that the most important thing is not to overdo it. Otherwise, the room will visually become even smaller. However, it is quite possible to make bright small pieces of furniture, other small details of the interior. They will decorate the room, but they will not "squeeze" it.
In many kitchens, there is so little space that you have to decide where to place your dining area. The ideal option in such cases is a room. The table can become both working and dining at the same time. It is worth noting that a round table will look more neat than an ordinary piece of furniture - even if the housing is small.
Some people think that the space above the head of the bed is only suitable for hanging a beautiful picture there, but it can be used more beneficially. You can hang shelves there. Some people don't like it when something hangs over their heads. To check if you are comfortable with this, first hang one small, lightweight shelf. If nothing bothers you, hang heavier items - however, in any case, you will need to make sure that the fasteners are of the highest quality.
If at first the free space is usually liked by the owner of the apartment, then later it can even start to annoy. In such a room there is nowhere to isolate oneself from family members, to be alone - especially in those cases when children also live in the apartment. To get out of the situation you can divide the space into several zones. For this, it is not at all necessary to use real walls: cabinets and fabric partitions will quite cope with this task.
Zoning can be done in a room decorated in any style.
The most common options for dividing a room into specific zones:
- Cupboard. For zoning space, not classic pieces of furniture are more suitable, but structures with open through shelves. You can put everything you need on them. Moreover, such structures are not heavy, cumbersome. Such furniture looks original and very stylish.
- Special partitions. Usually they are created from drywall, fabric.
- Podium. It allows you to clearly define the sleeping area. Some people buy curtains for the catwalk to cover the bed. Under the podiums, fairly large shelves are usually easily placed, thanks to which you will be able to free up the room as much as possible, without cluttering it. Some hide in the podium not a place for storing various things, but a bed, which, if necessary, moves out with the help of rollers. On the podium itself, you can equip an area for children, a place to work. This option is very convenient, it will save as much space as possible.
Houseplants can also be used to divide a room into specific zones. For this, for example, a beautiful phytowall is suitable. You can also use aquariums with plants, fish, animals.
An excellent addition will be the original lighting - such an element of the interior will be very attractive and bright.
Unusual storage spaces
Even in a small room, you can always find where to place dressers and shelves. The most suitable places for this:
- Under the windowsill (however, it should be wide enough). You can put a small chest of drawers in there.
- Mezzanine shelves can be placed under the ceiling, in the hallway. Usually they put seasonal items or products that are rarely used there.
- Walls. This is an ideal place for shelving, shelves - while such products should not interfere with people moving around. Shelves can also be placed in corners. This solution is very practical.
Not all common pieces of furniture are suitable for 40 m2 apartments. The best options for such premises are the following:
- Transformers. These pieces of furniture are very functional.
- Wardrobes. They allow you to save space in the room as much as possible.
- Modular, sectional structures. A particularly good option is custom-made (to fit the size of the room). You can combine the design exactly the way you want. Such headsets are also convenient because each element is made in a certain style - from a computer desk to a wall cabinet. You don't have to waste time matching pieces of furniture to each other.
Since the apartment is small, it should be decorated in a style that is characterized by an abundance of light shades. The most suitable options are as follows:
- Classic style… All old styles that have been tested by time can be attributed to it. The main features of this direction in design are various light sources, the interconnection of all interior elements with each other, symmetry, respect for proportions, the use of natural materials. The classic style is various vases, textiles, figurines, paintings. Fireplaces, arches, stucco moldings are often used.
- Constructivism. The basic principles of this style are functionality and maximum space saving, which is ideal for a small room. The visual expansion of space, compactness, and the presence of zonal lighting are important.
- Provence… The dominant shades in such rooms are light, very often white is found. The room should have an accent: a fireplace, a table, a beautiful bed.Light beige, soft cream shades are often found.
- Scandinavian style… Such interiors are the embodiment of laconicism and moderation. The furniture is functional and reliable. Of the materials, natural materials are usually used (wood is very often chosen for decorating rooms in the Scandinavian style). Such interiors are characterized by a large number of white, light brown shades. You can choose any bright accent: for example, a pattern on upholstery and curtains. Curtains should be lightweight, not preventing the penetration of daylight into the room (you can do without curtains). The walls are monochromatic, they are most often covered with plaster.
Minimalism. Such rooms are characterized by functionality, a minimum number of accessories (they may not be available at all). Usually, light, white tones are used, but you can choose a thick warm shade as an accent - for example, paint a wall in this color. Furniture - no decor, with sharp corners. Glass partitions are often used to divide the space into specific zones
If you know how to properly organize the space, it will be quite easy to create an interesting and harmonious interior. However, the decoration of the premises must be approached with the utmost care.
Light colors visually expand the space - this is ideal for a small apartment.
There is nothing superfluous in this room, all elements are located as compactly as possible.
At the present time, a variety of new items are constantly appearing, but the classics always remain relevant. Pastel colors are very suitable for small spaces.
This interior is modern, bright, but not cluttered.
See below for an overview of the design of a 40 sqm duplex apartment.