The history of using bricks goes back several millennia. Particular interest in this material arose in the last century, when designers began to use it to decorate industrial premises, turning them into apartments and offices. Today, brick can be found in the modern interior of a wide variety of buildings, and therefore it is simply necessary to talk about it in more detail.
General rules of application
The main principle of using bricks in the interior is very prosaic. Experts note that this material brings maximum beauty and comfort to the interior only in those cases when applied in reasonable amounts … Ignoring this recommendation makes the room too cold, depriving it of the desired comfort.
Basic techniques regarding the use of brick decoration:
- highlighting an accent wall, which is optimal for transforming any room in an apartment;
- finishing of various architectural elements (most often these are arches, columns, partitions and decorative recesses);
- allocation of the fireplace area, the most relevant for the living room.
It is also worth adding that walls decorated with decorative bricks can be an excellent backdrop for paintings and photos. In addition, the material in question goes well with gypsum tiles, which often act as an imitation of natural stone.
So that the atmosphere in the room does not seem overly strict, attention should be paid to the color of the material and the specifics of the decoration. An example is the decoration of the walls with white bricks, effectively complemented by bright and cheerful colors.
This solution is most popular with connoisseurs of the Scandinavian style, organically combining calmness and expressiveness.
Another significant point is the quality of the material used: it is desirable that the brickwork is natural. If the home owner relies on the use of imitation, then the latter should be as solid as possible. This step allows you to avoid bad taste, hopelessly spoiling the interior decoration of the room.
The use of bricks in modern interiors involves many noteworthy decisions regarding the types of material used. First of all, these include:
- Real brick … If the building is new, then its walls can be left unchanged, simply by cleaning them from existing minor contaminants. In situations with old buildings, the walls need to be processed, ridding them of whitewashing, primer and plaster. To prevent the material from being destroyed, "bare" brick walls must be impregnated with a special protective agent.
- Facing … This brick is capable of "boasting" clear outlines, many shapes, textures and shades, and therefore it is justified to use it to decorate decorative architectural elements. Alternatively, it is perfect for fireplaces, columns and partitions, as well as niches equipped with shelving.
- Glass … The considered type of brick - both transparent and matte, is capable of filling any room with light. The variety of shades of this material also deserves attention, thanks to which it can be successfully used not only for decorating rooms, but also for zoning them.
- Veneer. This material, which is a brick tile, is very light, which makes it the best solution for decorating plasterboard walls. Practice shows that veneers are especially loved by connoisseurs of even laying.
As for the least expensive material, brick-like wallpaper is rightfully considered as such. This solution does not differ in its natural appearance, but it makes it possible to make the interior of the room original and attracting admiring glances.
In various styles
There are a significant number of design variations in which brick is most commonly used. If you make a list of the most popular ones, then it will look like this:
Loft. For rooms decorated in this style, the considered type of decor is a key element. This is due to the fact that the loft interiors originally had brick walls. At the same time, the modern interior, designed in this style, allows imitation of real masonry
Pop Art… The key feature of this decoration is the use of a rich and effective gamut playing on contrasts. A great example of pop art room decoration involves the use of slightly whitewashed bricks and a sofa painted in a rich bright color. This combination can be made even more remarkable through a successful textured game
Scandinavian style… In such cases, it is advisable to place a moderate emphasis on the walls, avoiding abrupt transitions. Given this circumstance, the optimal solution in such interiors is light, gray or black brick
Ethno. The style in question makes the interior more distinctive, relieving the interior decoration of the room from unnecessary rigor. In such cases, it makes sense to use ocher brick, combined with bright exotic colors of textiles, ceramics and souvenirs
In addition, the slender brick rows create a romantic atmosphere in the room.
Thanks to the correct arrangement of light sources and a winning combination of shades, you can get an interior, the main features of which will be beauty and tranquility.
In different rooms
Experience shows that decorative bricks - facing, clinker and other types, can be successfully used regardless of the purpose of the converted room:
Living room. A wall decorated with the described material can be an excellent backdrop for other interior elements. A fireplace lined with decorative plaster bricks will look no less impressive. Partitions made of the glass variety of the material in question deserve mention
Bedroom. White brick is best suited for decorating this room, especially if it is done in a Scandinavian style. Alternatively, this material can be used to decorate an arch that replaces the door to the bedroom
Kitchen. The use of bricks allows you to zone the space, for example, by highlighting the area of the dining table. One of the best solutions is considered to be brick tiles, thanks to which you can decorate the apron and finish the kitchen island
Bathroom. The best solution for this room is glass bricks. Thanks to their strength, they can become a beautiful and at the same time reliable floor decoration. As for the walls of the bathroom, it is reasonable to decorate them with any imitation of brickwork that is resistant to regular exposure to moisture
Brick in the hallway will not hurt either: using tiles with a "damaged" edge, you can successfully zone the converted room. The finishes made in light colors look especially impressive. In addition, many designers advise placing decorative candles and other original elements on protruding bricks
In conclusion, it remains to note that brick in a modern interior is one of the most stylish solutions. Skillfully using it to transform the premises, you can achieve a truly impressive result, pleasantly surprising not only the owners of the home, but also their guests.
For more information on using bricks in the interior of an apartment, see the next video.