Polyurethane floors are at the height of fashion in interior design. They are often used in private homes and spacious apartments. Stores offer a wide range of mix options for this type of coating. But before choosing such a floor, you should familiarize yourself with all its inherent characteristics, as well as with the features of the fill.
Only if you take into account all the nuances will you make the flooring in your home perfect.
Features of the
Polyurethane floors are self-leveling coatings, which include special polymers, consisting of two components. The unusualness of such products is in their special elasticity and strength. By means of peculiar chemical reactions, a polymer material is synthesized and self-leveling floors are obtained.
In its original form, this type of coating is a liquid polyurethane mixture that resembles paint in consistency … These materials create a monolithic texture when dry.
The popularity of such floors has increased due to their use on uneven surfaces or substrates with deficiencies in the form of cracks and porous depressions.
Despite the compromise of the coating with respect to unevenness, it is less adaptable to other materials. Liquid polyurethane linoleum requires preparation of the base surface before pouring. Typically, this type of floor consists of two layers. The lower one is equipped with a special impregnation that allows the material to adhere to the base surface. The top coat has a protective function.
Like any floor covering, liquid linoleum with polymers has its own positive and negative characteristics.
- Seamless device. In the process of pouring the composition and after it dries, no joints and chipping are formed, which can often be observed on a parquet floor or ordinary linoleum.
- Self-leveling floor is popular for all types of premises. It is used both in ordinary apartments and in large warehouses. Sometimes it is even used for freezers and workshops.
- The coating is resistant to high and low temperatures. The floor does not lose its presentable appearance even when exposed to open fire.
- The surface of the products is particularly durable. This quality explains the durability of the coating.
- It is easy to fill the floors yourself. They do not require sophisticated technology.
- Easy to care for. Regular cleaning is not necessary for polyurethane coatings. In case of contamination, it is sufficient to wipe the surface with a dry or damp cloth.
- Floors of this type have a high impact resistance. They are not so easy to mechanically damage, which avoids the need for frequent restoration.
- Polyurethane compounds come in huge design variations. Among the assortment, you can find such colors and patterns, which will be combined with various interior styles.
- Floors add an extra layer of soundproofing.
- The composition of the liquid floor does not include harmful solvents, which allows you not to worry about your health when laying and during the operation of the floor.
- The coatings are capable of repelling the effects of chemical components, so it is possible to clean especially difficult contaminants using special products.
The negative qualities of a polyurethane coating include the following features:
- Such a floor cannot be dismantled. If you want to change the surface, then you will have to place the new material directly on the liquid linoleum.
- Filling is done only in an apartment, house or other enclosed space. Due to the possibility of changing weather conditions, it cannot be carried out in open areas without a canopy. The temperature range during pouring should not exceed 10 degrees.
- When the composition has not yet dried, it has a specific smell that not everyone will like.
- Even slight moisture is not allowed on the base where the floor will be poured.
- Such a coating, in comparison with traditional ones, has a higher cost. It is also worth taking into account the high consumption of material, which will increase financial costs, especially when finishing the overall premises.
- Some degree of toxicity is inherent in the composition. Some manufacturers make the material incorporating elements such as phenol.
- Laying polyurethane flooring is time consuming. Sometimes the process can take more than a week.
- When finished, the floor surface is cool to the touch. Not for everyone, this nuance will become a factor of comfort in the room.
How to choose?
Among the range of polyurethane coatings, it can be difficult to decide which one is best for your home. One-component compounds are selected as an additional protection layer. The texture of the material is similar to oil paint, which is at least 0.4 mm thick.
Two-component solutions are needed to create a denser coating. The components of the composition are mixed with each other, and only after that the material is applied to the prepared base surface. Two-component liquid linoleum has the property does not spread well during the pouring process, but forms a denser layer, the thickness of which can reach 2.5 mm.
Choose a mixture depending on the load that the self-leveling coating will experience.
The one-component version carries a slight or medium degree of stress, which is quite suitable for apartments. A denser layer that can withstand heavy impacts is suitable for warehouses and industrial premises.
Consider the style in which your room will be decorated. For some directions, certain colors will be preferable, as well as matte or glossy textures.
Please note that 2-component resin flooring has different types depending on the types of surfaces to which it is applied. There are varieties for:
- Capillary-porous mineral floors - for brick, concrete and slate.
- Metal surfaces where cast iron, steel and other alloys may be present.
- For wood substrates including fiberboard, plywood and parquet floors.
Before going to the store, carefully study the reviews of various manufacturers and correlate the prices they offer for products with the planned level of financial expenses.
The preparation of the base coat is one of the most important steps in the installation of a polyurethane floor. It must be carried out in several stages:
- If you have concrete surfaces, it is necessary to seal up any irregularities with cement. In the case of a wooden floor, thoroughly wash the surface and wait until it is completely dry. Ceramic flooring requires replacement of unstable tiles.
- Use a construction vacuum cleaner to remove excess dust from the surface. If this is not done, then the contamination will provoke the flaking of the material in the future.
- Self-leveling mix is sometimes used to create the perfect surface for concrete floors. After drying, it is necessary to sand it.
- After that it is necessary to cover the floor with a layer of primer. It is applied using a construction roller. If the soil mixture is quickly absorbed, then several coats should be applied. When there is no quick absorption, allow 1 to 3 hours to dry completely. The presence of a primer will promote better adhesion of the liquid linoleum to the base surface.
After the surface of the floor is processed, you should start making the composition for pouring and directly the procedure for creating the bulk layer. The mixture is made according to the instructions:
- The first layer of the mixture is spread using needle levelers. Its thickness, depending on the type of room, varies from 1.5 to 3 mm. In order not to damage the structure of the coating during its installation and to move freely on it, wear special needle shoes - paint shoes.
- At the stage of fresh laying of the first layer, decorative elements can be applied to the surface.
- Until the mixture is completely dry, flatten the surface with a spiked construction roller.
- Availability depends on temperature range. Going beyond this can cause longer drying times.
- Along the perimeter of the room, it is necessary to install temperature-shrinkage grooves, which will ensure uniform drying of the polyurethane. The grooves are made by cutting. The resulting joints must be filled with sealant.
- The finishing layer is poured at least 6 hours after the first layer has dried, depending on the recommendation of a particular manufacturer. The process is carried out using the same technology.
Decorative elements allow you to create an exclusive design floor. The following materials are the main types of design:
- Paint. It is applied between layers during the pouring process. Using paint, you can create an imitation of natural materials in the coating, for example, marble. This creates a luxurious surface appearance.
- Bulky sequins that can be made from polyester. They are also made from special aluminum foil. Glitter comes in a variety of textures and colors - sparkling, fluorescent, solid, multi-colored. To create images on the floor, designers often combine different types of glitters with each other.
- Volumetric drawings and abstractions between polymer layers look beautiful. They can cover the entire floor surface or create a partial ornament.
- For decoration, use such additional elements as stones, shells, colored glass.
- Sometimes liquid linoleum is even supplied with an element such as a backlight.
Experienced creators of polyurethane coatings advise listening to certain recommendations in the process of pouring the structure:
- For a more harmonious and complete look, the floor can be fitted with polyurethane skirting boards.
- When laying a polyurethane floor, add quartz sand to the soil mixture. It will help ensure better adhesion of the fill to the base surface.
- The most preferred base coat for polymer mortar is a concrete floor. The strongest adhesion occurs with it in polyurethane particles.
Polyurethane coating is a great alternative to ordinary linoleum, creating an unusual accent in interior design.
By decorating the surface in this way, you will provide yourself with a durable flooring that will delight you and your guests every day.
For information on how to make a self-leveling polyurethane floor with a pattern, see the next video.