Wood flooring today is still the best solution, which has no analogues. One of the most popular options for wood flooring is considered to be larch flooring. This material has excellent qualities and characteristics, has a very beautiful appearance, as well as an attractive cost. In this article, we will take a closer look at all the features and benefits of this flooring option.
Floor covering features
Larch is quite popular in construction due to its versatility. This material is used not only as a floor covering, larch board is widely used even in shipbuilding and carpentry.
Larch grooved boards do not need additional processing, they do not need to be sanded, opened with varnish or paint. The optimal thickness of larch boards for flooring is considered to be 35 mm. Such a thickness of the material will allow in the future to carry out grinding of the floor for its renewal; this procedure can be repeated at least 10-15 times.
This wood species has a very beautiful color and texture. Also, this material has high strength and hardness. But its main feature is that, unlike other wooden materials, larch is completely resistant to moisture. It is thanks to these qualities that the material is widely used to create parquets, flooring for terraces, bathrooms and saunas. It can also be laid in the pool area.
Painted larch board is used extremely rarely, since this material is distinguished by its unique natural beauty, which you do not want to hide under a layer of paint.
Advantages of the material
Larch floorboards have a number of advantages, namely:
- This type of wood has a low thermal conductivity, which means that you will not need to spend extra money on floor insulation.
- The material has noise insulation properties, perfectly suppresses extraneous sounds and noise. However, it is very important that the material is of high quality, and that the flooring is installed correctly, otherwise the material itself may make unpleasant creaking sounds.
- Long service life - the larch wood array will serve you for many decades.
- Affordable cost - the price of this type of wood is comparable to the prices for high-quality laminate or parquet.
- The material contains gum, which increases the resistance of the tree to many aggressive influences, for example, fungal and mold infections, as well as to insects.
- Environmental friendliness and safety - larch is an environmentally friendly material, it does not cause allergies and is completely safe for human health.
- This material is breathable, so moisture will not accumulate in the space under the floor, which means that stagnant decay processes will not occur.
- Rich texture - Siberian larch is rightfully considered one of the most beautiful wooden materials, its gorgeous amber shades will fill your home with warmth and comfort.
- Resistant to moisture - this property makes the material ideal for use as a floor covering, even in rooms such as a kitchen or bathroom.
- Resistance to temperature extremes - larch perfectly withstands temperature fluctuations in the range of over 100 degrees Celsius (from minus 60 to plus 50 degrees).
- High reliability and durability - larch flooring is made not only in apartments and houses, but also in dance classes, gyms and other premises where a large number of people gather. This material is very durable and perfectly withstands even very heavy loads.
- The ability to use boards for finishing the floor not only indoors, but also in open areas, for example, on a terrace, balcony, garden or gazebo.
It should be borne in mind that profiled radial sawn larch wood has the best qualities and characteristics. If other cutting techniques were used - semi-radial or tangential, then the quality of the material may be slightly worse.
There are practically no drawbacks to this material. These include only the features of sawing and drying wood. In these matters, larch is very demanding and can be spoiled quite easily.
The tree on sale is divided into several varieties. The quality of sawing wood, as well as the presence of various defects on the raw material, affect the larch variety.
There are the following types of wood:
- Extra class - this material does not contain defects at all, it has a similar pattern and texture. This class is considered the best, most prestigious and expensive.
- Grade "A" - there may be no more than one defect per running meter on the wood, as well as small cracks that appear during the drying process of the wood. The canvas pattern and texture may also vary slightly.
- Grade "B" - a little more defects on the wood are allowed.
- Grade "C" - the most inexpensive option of wood, however, the number of defects encountered can be very large.
Types of boards
On sale you can find a large assortment of different options for floorboards. The most popular are:
Grooved boards. The grooved board is in great demand due to the convenience of its installation. At the same time, the floor surface is homogeneous and does not contain gaps. This material is highly durable
Glued boards. Glued larch board has a number of excellent characteristics and in some cases may be even better than solid wood
The advantages of such material include:
- High strength - radial cut glued board has excellent strength and reliability characteristics.
- Possibility to adjust the length to the required dimensions - 4 or 6 meters.
- A board spliced from fragments is practically not subject to various deformations during drying, unlike a solid board.
- The appearance of glued wood is in no way inferior to a solid array, the flooring will look no less stylish and chic.
Massive boards. Solid boards are strong, durable and reliable. They can be of various sizes. After laying the floor covering, it is best to varnish it to increase the lifespan of the material
Terrace boards. Decking is ideal for outdoor installation, this type of larch is even more resistant to moisture
Larch is a great option for flooring.
No matter how good this material is, its service life will also depend on the technique of its laying:
- So, the surface on which the larch boards are laid is very important.For example, a concrete floor will need to be pre-treated with a special mastic with waterproofing properties, after which it is also necessary to lay sheets of plywood. If you are laying new flooring on old boards, they must be smoothed beforehand by sanding.
- During installation, the floor level must be carefully monitored - it must be perfectly level. Failure to comply with this condition may lead to the fact that in the future the boards will begin to creak or break.
- The flooring is installed either along the walls or at an angle of 90 degrees to them. If you install the boards at a 90 degree angle to the window, you can prevent shadows from appearing between the boards.
- Also, experts recommend that before starting installation, bring the boards inside the house or apartment and leave them for several days so that they adapt to the temperature inside the room, and after laying them, no deformations occur.
- Larch boards are mounted close to each other, without any gaps. It is quite possible to cope with laying the floor on your own, however, if you are faced with such a task for the first time and do not know all the intricacies of this work, it would be better to turn to the services of professionals.
You can learn how to choose a larch finishing board from the following video.