In addition to performing the main function of reflection, mirror surfaces are often used as decorative elements. With the help of beautiful mirrors, you can decorate the interior, achieve the effect of visually enlarging the room.
It is worth using reflective surfaces in the interior with caution: if installed incorrectly, you can get a negative effect that will affect the perception of the room.
Mirrors in the interior of the living room: expanding the space through the subtleties of installation.
The visual increase in space is far from the only task that can be dealt with through mirrors. It is important to have an understanding of the processes of light refraction and scattering. With the help of mirrored surfaces, you can:
- Visually make the size of the room larger… So you can solve the problem of insufficient footage.
- Make the hall brighter… If the mirror surface reflects light sources, the light flux can be evenly scattered, creating the effect of having an additional lighting fixture.
- Room fullness… If the living room is not replete with decorative elements, using a mirror, you can create the illusion of a filled space.
- Changing proportions… With the help of a reflective surface, you can visually change the height, width and length of the room.
- Emphasis on interior items… If it is necessary to highlight some kind of decorative element, the mirror is placed opposite it. An additional emphasis is created on the reflected object.
From all the variety of mirror products, it is important to choose the most suitable option depending on the style of the interior and the purpose of use. Mirrors differ in shape, framing and other characteristics. The following options for mirrors are perfect for a living room:
The frame is a separate decorative element that must blend harmoniously with the interior design. Framing reflective products has many variations: you can purchase a product with a ready-made frame, order from a master, or make it yourself (if you have the appropriate skills).
It is important that the frame matches well with the decorative elements and furnishings of the room interior.
Framed pieces are perfect for classic design styles.
Products without a frame look quite strict and minimalistic. Such models can be decorated with lighting or engraving. They are perfect for hi-tech and minimalist styles.
This type of mirrors is obtained using decorative surface treatment: an edge is removed from the edges of the mirror at an angle of 5 to 40 mm. The finished product is distinguished by its graceful lines and volume.
The use of such furniture is appropriate in the interior of any style. It can be a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a curbstone, a furniture wall or a wardrobe. The mirror surface can be a decoration or a facade.
This variety will be a great option for the smallest rooms. This type of coating does an excellent job of scattering light, making the room visually larger.
An interior with a decorative element will look original. Mirrored tiles look great in modern design styles.
From models of various shapes and sizes, you can make compositions for the entire wall or part of it.
If framed mirrors are used, it is advisable to choose products with the same frames.
If you are composing a composition of reflective canvases of various shapes and sizes, it is important that the framing of the products is combined with each other.
This design option is inappropriate in large halls; in small living rooms, a mirrored ceiling will help increase the space. The mirror surface can be solid or lined with rhombuses. Typically, such a panel is placed on the entire wall.
These models can only be used as a decorative element. They are suitable for modern design styles.
Most often, these varieties are large mirrors with a heavy frame. There are two options for placing such a model in the room: against the wall or on a special stand.
In different styles
If you plan to use a mirror sheet to increase the living room space, do not forget that such a product is an element of decor. It is important not only to correctly install the reflective surface, but also to choose the right model for the interior design. Let's look at some guidelines for different styles:
- Classical… Large mirrors in an overall frame made of natural wood are ideal for this style. The frame can be decorated with carvings. Antique models look great in this style; it is appropriate to use furniture with mirrors.
- Baroque… Models with a chic frame are appropriate here. It is good if the decor of the frame is made in bronze.
- High tech… Strict clear shapes and lines will come in handy. Framed models can be used if the frame is small. Preference should be given to a square, round or rectangular shape.
- Minimalism… Mirrors without frames will look great. You can decorate the wall with a mirror panel.
- Country… Models of a simple shape with a wooden frame are suitable. Additionally, the product can be decorated with dry branches.
- Art Deco… Round models are suitable for this style. An interesting option would be a product in the shape of a sun. The mirror frame can include additional decorative elements.
Loft… A good option would be designer large mirrors with a frame made of natural materials. It can be rough wood or even metal. Due to the large weight of the frame, such products are often installed on the floor against the wall
- Provence… For the interior, products of the correct geometric shape (circle or rectangle) with an elegant frame are suitable. It is better if the frame is made in the form of graceful patterns, curls and painted in delicate tones.
- Modern… The most suitable type of mirror finish would be a model with a natural theme in wood or metal. There are original frames made in the form of branches.
To achieve the desired visual effect, it is necessary to correctly install the mirror in the living room. Let's take a look at the most popular placements.
Above the sofa
Mirror surfaces are not recommended to be installed in the most prominent places so that households and guests cannot constantly see their reflection while in the room. A seat above the sofa would be a great option.… Such an arrangement will not harm the interior design, create a harmonious composition, and contribute to the visual expansion of the space.
Above the fireplace
The wall above the heater is usually left empty. You can use a mirror to fill in the empty space next to the fireplace.
The presence of a decorative element above the fireplace will make the interior design more attractive. Two small exquisite lamps can be placed around the edges of the fireplace.
Between the windows
This placement option will allow you to achieve the effect of having an additional window. This wall mount is ideal for French style living room designs.
On a wall perpendicular to the window
With this trick, you can fill the room with light. The sun's rays will hit the reflective surface and be scattered. This technique is relevant for rooms with small windows.
Behind the furniture
If you install a large mirror canvas behind a sofa or armchair, you can visually expand the boundaries of the room.
An improper installation of a mirror can negatively affect the appearance of the room and create an unpleasant effect. To avoid mistakes when installing mirrors in a small living room, it is worth considering some rules and recommendations. Let's consider the most important ones:
- A mirrored surface should not reflect an empty wall. This arrangement will visually reduce the area of the room.
- There is no need to install a reflective canvas opposite the window. This will not increase the light level in the room.
- The mirror should not reflect the large furniture wall, as well as other large objects, otherwise the room will seem overloaded.
- It is possible to visually enlarge the space with a reflective surface in a small narrow room, provided that the interior design is made in light shades.
In a dark room, a mirrored surface can visually make the room even smaller.
There is no need to place mirrors so that they come to the fore in the room and focus on themselves all the attention
- It is not recommended to place the reflective surface on a high ceiling.
- If you install mirrors opposite each other, you get an unpleasant looking glass effect.
- Avoid placing the reflective surface too close to the light source.
- If the mirror is to be used only as a decorative element, it must be placed at a distance of one and a half meters from the floor.
Based on the rules for choosing and placing reflective surfaces, you can independently install products in such a way as to obtain the desired visual effect. There are a number of ready-made solutions for changing space using mirrors that can be safely applied in practice:
- To visually increase the area and change the shape of a rectangular room, you need to hang a mirror on a long wall. This will visually double the size of the room, and its shape will appear square.
- Mirror canvases throughout the wall will help to visually enlarge the space of a small and narrow room.
- If the sofa in the living room is facing the window, several small rectangular mirrors above the sofa will help to visually double the room.
- If you need to create a corridor effect in a long rectangular room, you need to place a reflective product on a narrow wall.
- The height of the living room can be increased with a mirrored ceiling.
- To increase the level of lighting in the room, you can additionally illuminate the mirror with LED strip. A large mirror on the entire wall is illuminated with spots that are placed on the floor and ceiling.
The round mirrored surface above the fireplace blends harmoniously with the interior design. The mirror is framed in the form of the sun's rays. Two small lamps are installed next to the product.
A large mirror panel behind the sofa does not overload the room, adds lightness to the room.
A harmonious composition of three mirrored surfaces mounted on a wall adjacent to the window. Additionally, lamps are placed next to large reflective canvases. This arrangement allows you to fill the room with light.
Large rectangular mirror in a classic frame above the sofa in the living room. The color of the frame matches the furniture and decor elements perfectly. Spots are used to illuminate the mirror.
A floor mirror, installed next to the window, fills the room with light.
You will learn how to visually expand the space with the help of mirrors in the following video.