Interior decoration in different styles is a creative business. To create your own unique design, you need to not only understand the styles, you need to understand the features of your nature. Then you can achieve real harmony in the design of your home.
What are they?
There is a wide choice of interior styles: modern and classic, created for comfort or presentability, characteristic of creative people or adherents of everything ultra-fashionable.
Styles are divided into modern, historical and ethnic
Historical styles include the styles of Greek, Roman antiquity. They appeared and existed in their original form from the XI century BC. e. until the 5th century A. D. e. During this period, the main principles of harmony and proportionality in the interior and exterior were derived.
Further, we can distinguish the Romanesque and Gothic styles (X-XII and XII-XV centuries, respectively). The latter is a style in the art of the Middle Ages. It was developed as an interior style, the features of which are a high white ceiling of the living room, artistic forging on a chandelier, and a massive table made of hardwood.
Renaissance style - Renaissance. It was followed by the development of baroque, rococo, classicism, empire style, eclecticism (from the end of the 16th to the end of the 19th century).
The style with pronounced historical and ethnic features is colonial, which was initiated by the English colonialists.
In the 19th century, the so-called "rustic" styles of grunge and Provence (from French "grange" - barn) arose. Grunge is distinguished by the absence of elements of excessive luxury, but also negligence. Provence is a style of the French hinterland that originated on the southern coast of France.
The Stalinist Empire style stands apart - the style of the Stalin era. It has original elements of imperial French architecture of late classicism, the main features of which were formed during the reign of Napoleon I.
Historical Art Nouveau appeared at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, slightly ahead of Art Deco. The main idea is the denial of asceticism. Eclecticism, unusual shapes, halftones, combined with ethnic ornaments and patterns, luxury, expensive materials help to embody it.
Country music from the beginning of the last century is a village style Now he personifies functionality, rural beauty, simplicity, clear forms of furniture, carelessness and romance. No luxury, calm natural shades (unless you consider real wooden furniture a luxury) - the rules of country music in any country, each of which has its own rustic stylistic traditions.
The chalet is a style that reflects a rural house in Switzerland. Now it can be a country house with hunting trappings, simple wooden furniture, wrought iron parts and accessories, an obligatory fireplace and ceiling textured beams.
Country, chalet, grunge and provence styles combine historical roots.
The naval interior was once formed by shipbuilders to improve the interior of the cabins of noble English people, so its first features are English. In our time, its essence is appeasement. It is facilitated by the necessary attributes - furniture and flooring made of natural wood, a combination of white and blue colors in all interior elements, antiques, details of a ship theme.
Some modern bi-directional styles:
- Contemporary. The fundamental feature is rationality and comfort at an affordable price, furniture that saves space;
- Retro. It is built around things that were at the height of fashion in the middle of the twentieth century or heirlooms like a samovar. But more often it is designer furniture of unusual shapes, materials and colors, bright fantasy paintings, the same carpets. Anything that the flea market offers and can be found at buyers is welcome - furniture and things that require restoration;
- Fusion - connection of different parts into one whole. It embodies the unification of design ideas, creates a space design free from stereotypes - extraordinary solutions, a mix of objects of different styles. There is only one rule - not to break personal harmony. “No” for overloading with details, “yes” for spaciousness, lightness and positiveness;
- Ecostyle. These are safe materials in decoration, furniture and accessories - clay, glass, stone, wood, natural fabrics.
There is a European modern trend, which some designers distinguish into an independent style. It was formed from several trends and is based on the main principle - the convenience of the owners. Varies from country to country - the interiors of Western Europe differ from those of Eastern Europe. Each country has its own concept of comfort - from rare wooden shutters to windows completely devoid of curtains, from high-tech kitchen furniture to country-style tables. The general feature is one: the absence of vertical partitions, open interfloor spaces, minimalistic details, restraint in colors and decor.
Ethnic styles can be contemporary or historical. The first is the Mediterranean - a complex, overloaded with details, but creating a festive atmosphere, sunny interior with 4 national directions - Greek, Moroccan, French, Italian. They differ in details and colors: cold, closer to the sea - in the Greek, warm - in the Italian, and bright - in the Moroccan direction. Provence and grunge belong to the latter, that is, to ethnic historical styles.
Contemporary ethnic styles include American style with spacious rooms in soothing colors, eclectic furnishings and the latest technology.
There are western and eastern directions, where there are both interiors with historical features and completely modern ones or presented in both versions.
In the Japanese style, the basic principles are implemented according to historical traditions or presented in a completely new way. Emptiness and energy freely circulating in it, wood trim and bamboo, natural calm colors, the use of partitions and screens, asceticism and the complete absence of paraded things that reveal personality, signs of this direction.
Chinese and Moroccan styles are oriental, but they represent a different East, its different directions - Asian and Arab. Indian is also from the eastern ethnic styles, but it belongs to the historical due to the richest history of culture.
Chinese - lack of square and triangular pieces of furniture, sharp corners, carpets (with replacement for mats), curtains. Natural light is preferred. The knowledge of screens, national decor items, the use of color as symbols of power, health, wealth are encouraged.
The Moroccan style is characterized by patterned lamps made of brass and copper, exquisite carved furniture, white finish as a background for golden or silver decor, bright ornament and colors, curved arches. There are details that create an elegant or exuberant luxury of the East.
The Western group includes English, Italian, German, Swedish, French national styles:
- English - aristocratic, with love for leather sofas and armchairs, dark furniture made of precious wood, with proportionality, good taste, restraint and balance of decors. Lots of accessories and precious little things on display as an object of love and pride. The room is completely filled with furniture, the light is dim;
- Italian - the decoration uses the natural tones of this sunny warm country, furniture can be marble and wood carved, arches and a fireplace are required;
- French - not pretentious, with forged and carved details of antique-style furniture, which should look expensive, but not flashy, high ceilings and windows, heavy curtains, ennobled walls.
Russian style stands, as always, between East and West. Wooden walls and furniture, Russian household items, typical dishes. The details and style of furniture and accessories depend on the chosen direction - neo-Russian, naturalistic peasant, noble or fabulous. There can be curly carved balusters of railings, and a bright splint, and a crystal chandelier under log vaults, and expensive original furniture in the Russian Rococo style
In the field of design, there are general trends in the choice of styles in the world, dictated by designer fashion, and there are private ones for a particular country. There are many adherents of the classics in Russia. America is addicted to country music and its own style. In Western Europe, minimalist interiors with a national flavor are often found.
Designers noticed people's craving for self-expression and creativity and declared a boycott of calm and impersonal interiors. Fashion proposes to turn to what was in demand 40-50 years ago, developing the ideas of those years in the furniture industry.
Polished surfaces promise to take the place of brushed ones, and styles in which such furniture is the main element tend to replace the currently demanded country, loft, and high-tech. In Russia, this may not be successful, since not all of our residents have gotten rid of old polished furniture. And those who changed the interior hardly managed to miss the polished furniture, which was ubiquitous in the USSR and has been in operation for more than a dozen years.
Taking into account the latest trends, one should expect a bias towards the choice of styles, free from rigid frames and open to imagination and expression through the interior. These include vintage.
The winemaking term "vintage" - "wine aging", determined the name of the interior style. Everything in him seems to be "sustained". The interiors make it possible to travel back to an era that delights, and thanks to the objects taken as the basis for the design, to feel its spirit, completely immersed in that period. The time frame for the choice of styles and the corresponding rare or artificially aged, stylized things is limited to the end of the nineteenth century.
This interior style is for dreamers and travelers, true friends and aesthetes, romantics and inventors - for everyone who feels the taste of life. The nature of the vintage is eclectic - no need to try to achieve an absolute resemblance to the chosen period of time, it is enough to tastefully select stylized things - a retro telephone with modern "stuffing", lighting fixtures (sconces, chandeliers).
The features of the style are:
- Decorative focus;
- Cold pastel shades, based on beige and white tones, complex blue, contrasting brown, blue and dark gray are acceptable;
- Delicate floral wallpaper can coexist with rough plaster;
- Unnatural materials are prohibited;
- Natural fabrics can be expensive (silk, brocade) and more affordable (linen, cotton). Patterns of fabrics for decoration are different, - vegetable, cage, it is possible to combine them;
- Real antiques, like an old service or photographs, will become the main accents of the composition;
- Furniture made of artificially aged wood or painted in light colors, with which the surfaces of the room are also finished;
- A bed with wrought iron sides is perfect for creating a romantic interior.
Despite the eclecticism of the style, one should adhere to moderation in the choice of things - they should be of the same period: 20-30 of the XX century or 80-90 of the XIX century. Otherwise, the interior will look like a museum with exhibits from different times.
The nobility and harmony of antiquity, calmness and completeness, striving for the ideal - the main thing that distinguishes the classics.
Thanks to the restrained refinement and high quality of furniture and decoration items, the classic style holds the leading positions in the ranking of interiors of our country. Natural valuable mahogany and dark wood is affordable for a small number of Russian citizens, but classic furniture with MDF facades stylized as it is available.
Mandatory attributes are a marble fireplace, a bureau, a chest of drawers, a luxurious dining group, large mirrors, paintings in beautiful frames with portrait painting in the style of the 18th century, floor vases decorated with drapery and sculptural wall painting, stucco molding on the ceiling, overall windows and doors from a solid solid wood wood, inlaid artistic parquet made of precious wood or stone floor.
Upholstered furniture needs to be upholstered in expensive floral fabrics. Bright colors are excluded, but pastel shades with cream, pale green and beige shades are applicable. The correct geometry of the space, the symmetry of the placed objects is required;
On large areas, columns are appropriate, dividing the room into zones that smoothly flow into one another - the hall goes into the living room, the living room - into the dining room. Large shapes and relief of furniture and accessories imply the presence of high ceilings and space of appropriate dimensions, which should have areas free from furnishings. There is no congestion of the interior with pieces of furniture and its elements. The classic interior is proportional and balanced.
In the examples, in both cases, the basic principles of organizing the space are observed, but in the second case, furniture of a different style does not violate the general concept at all and looks extremely organic. This option is even preferable as it balances the luxurious furnishings of the room.
The word combination perola barroca is translated from Portuguese as “pearl of irregular shape”. Baroque is an artistic style of the Renaissance, in demand from the end of the 16th to the middle of the 18th century, its founder is the famous sculptor Michelangelo.
The main features are the excessiveness of decorative elements, deliberately created illusion of luxury in some details and true luxury with grandeur, idleness and scope.
- Cluttering up the space with furniture of plastic geometry - it is frivolous, not strict in form;
- Dazzle with the golden finish of the ceiling and walls, an overabundance of complex ornaments and patterns, carved details, shining with the glitter of precious metals - with gilding, bronze, silver;
- Pedestals for sculptures, pastoral frescoes, twisted balusters, calm parquet or natural stone flooring are the last ones to "finish off" the inexperienced viewer of all the above-mentioned excesses.
This palace style cannot be recreated with imitating materials, fake will look cheap, toy, but modern classical interiors do not need this.
For information on how to choose interior items for the Baroque style, see the next video.
If you do not know that such an amazing style exists, but just for the first time see photos of rooms decorated according to its canons, you might think that this is a photo of doll houses. And not our time, but 50 years ago. Everything about him is so touching and unnatural in an amicable way.
This is an interior with a history, things for it are bought at a flea market, restored or inherited, decorated with love. It arose in the last quarter of the last century and one can feel a soul akin to Provence in it.
The most delicate watercolor palette works magic along with antique furniture painted in light colors. Its wear can be natural and artificial.
The peculiarity of shabby chic is that the furniture does not have strict forms., and the details are designed to enhance the effect. These are any cute little things - vases, boxes, albums, handmade rugs. Lace, china, tablecloths, soft seats and backs for chairs, specially sewn for convenience, flowers in the decoration will provide the house with coziness, and the interior - with a romantic perception of people living in the house and visiting guests.
The style is built on asymmetry, freedom of movement due to the small amount of furniture and its decorativeness. Curved shapes, curved lines and rare right angles are characteristic of his setting.
The walls in muted shades are just a backdrop for fantasy luxury, as is the natural floor of a modest design made of stone, wood, the same color as the walls, or a little darker. Decorating the lower part of the walls with wood panels is acceptable.
Original furniture made of expensive wood with a streamlined shape includes forged and carved details. The fabrics in the decoration are natural, of high quality, their modest pattern is also the background. Discreetly complex natural colors are sometimes diluted with bright colors to add depth.
A lot of fabric decorates the interior, details help it - drapery, embroidery, fringe. Girls with long hair in the decor are a recognizable sign of style. All furnishings of an unusual shape form the essence of the interior and are its decoration.
The rustic interior style originated in the south of France, in Provence, close to the sea coast.
- The presence of aged simple wooden furniture painted in white or furniture with classic details with characteristic carvings, forging, patina;
- Rough plastered walls, a combination with brickwork, which has been exposed in places "by itself", is suitable. Wallpapers are practically not found, but if the owners cannot live without wallpaper, then canvases with a light floral pattern are acceptable;
- The construction of houses in the time when Provence was born involved ceiling beams. Since then, they have remained one of the main accents of the style;
- Natural board floors in light colors or tiles with rounded corners as flooring;
- Fabrics and curtains in flowered or plain, white or natural pale shades. Linen, wool, chintz, cotton are preferred;
- The symbol of Provence as a geographical place and style is lavender, fresh and dried, alone with other plants, abundantly arranged and spread throughout the house.
- Finishing colors are strongly diluted, as if burnt out in the sun;
- Ruches, embroidery, covers, porcelain, ceramics, wicker baskets as decor or instead of chest of drawers, lamps, chandeliers, make the interior "homey";
- Windows, doors are painted white or light pastel colors. If you paint the beams and the entire low ceiling white, this will help to visually raise it and remove the feeling of a squat room with low walls;
- Favorite trinkets-accessories do not clutter up the space, like furniture. All kinds of vases, boxes, jars for bulk products, frames, jugs, shells - everything is arranged tastefully in moderation on shelves, sideboards, small countertops, kitchen and dining table surfaces.
The Eastern group includes ethnic styles from several Asian, Arab, African countries and India. Each has personality traits, but there are also commonalities in the two subgroups - Asian and Arab.
The main features of the Arabic trend are the abundance of textiles, carvings, patterns, the brightness of the interior, arches and vaulted ceilings. Its task is to create a suitable atmosphere for relaxation and rest.
The Asian direction is distinguished by features of minimalism, adherence to the philosophy of their country both in interior design and in the choice of layout. The styles of this subgroup are characterized by calmness in colors (there are also bright contrasting ones), furniture details.
Asians tend to the correct geometry of space and straight lines, while the representatives of the second group prefer curved, flowing lines of space and furniture. Comfort for the Arabian subgroup is traditional.
Decorating oriental interiors can be either restrained or light colors, or bright, contrasting ones. Each culture has centuries-old traditions, a rich culture that has shaped an attitude towards the world and objects of beauty. Muslims do not accept images of people and animals, compensating for this with luxurious ornaments that have been created for millennia. Buddhists value unity with nature, closeness to it, and this is expressed in the fact that they use natural materials in the construction of their homes and decor - a scattering of stones for them can be a real revelation and the best decoration, like flowers in gardens for Europeans.
The floral patterns of the Chinese and Japanese are made with love, which the Arabs, who feel and understand beauty in a completely different way, are not able to experience. For them, intricate wood or metal carvings, bright intricate mosaics will be the subject of admiration.
The style of space, light and open windows. Decorations and furniture are often white or walls in whitewashed warm colors. An exception is colored and wooden pieces of furniture as blotches in a bright space. Functional comfort and the absence of unnecessary details leave a feeling of lightness and cleanliness.
This is not a decoration style, but an interior of elegant convenience and free space.
List of its features:
- Windows are decoration in themselves and do not need curtains and curtains, they solve the problem of maximum natural lighting;
- The floor can be natural wood or its imitation;
- Simple, comfortable furniture is arranged in any convenient order. These are shelving and modular systems, cabinets, open shelves with necessary or expensive things. Tables and chairs - white or natural wood. It depends on the finish and color of the rest of the furniture. The main thing is to observe the principle of lightness of the situation;
- If the right thing is at arm's length, the Scandinavian interior is decorated correctly;
- White walls serve as an excellent backdrop for dark contrasting or bright accessories, pieces of furniture;
- The finish is in gentle warm and light pastel colors;
- Bright accents need to be placed carefully. An interesting blanket, a pattern on a sofa cushion, a large photo on the wall - this is enough for the inner color balance.
Scandinavians appreciate real wood - parquet, furniture, so the style presupposes its use. If it is impossible to lay parquet, its imitation will do, but the rest of the rules must be adhered to.
A style for those in love with the romance of large industrial areas. Not to be confused with the loft, the emergence of which was historically driven and dictated by necessity, when real industrial premises that turned out to be unnecessary were renovated and sold by the owners as cheap housing to creative people who saw the potential in these "palaces" of pipes, glass and concrete.
The industrial style arose later as a supply to demand for interiors of this orientation, created in ordinary houses with a large area. Almost everything unites them with a loft, except for the origin and place of sale.
For decoration, designers recommend buying special materials with an aged effect - this is a coating that imitates rusty iron or peeling plaster. Huge windows do not have curtains.
It is suggested to use the colors corresponding to the industrial design: all metallic shades, the color of the stone, possibly interspersed with bright unnatural colors, which are typical for plastic furniture.
The kitchens are equipped with the latest technology, their surfaces are made of metal, natural or artificial stone. The countertops of bar counters, dining tables can be made of wood and solid wood. Wallpaper in such an interior would look out of place, unlike posters, photos of huge size in simple frames.
Usually the industrial style is ordered by people whose house area allows to embody all the important features of industrial design. This footage is from 100 sq. m, in a smaller area it is simply impossible to do this. The size of the windows must also match. The bigger they are, the better. Floor-to-ceiling French panoramic openings are perfect here.
The main idea of the style is democracy, falling in love with an urban lifestyle, suggesting modern concepts of beauty and convenience. In industrial design, you can find a bed made of wooden pallets, other primitive pieces of furniture and everyday life, not devoid of comfort, but aesthetically shocking.
A room decorated in an industrial style can be very comfortable, but it will be cozy for a narrow category of people with specific views.
How to choose?
The wardrobe reflects the personality. As psychologists say, it is worth "waking up and realizing yourself," remembering what we love from clothes and what we endure. If fashion is our everything, and not a heavy burden, you can safely choose fashionable styles. If we gravitate towards comfortable clothes instead of fashionable things, then we need an appropriate style. Chalets, grunge, American style, boho with its comfy blankets will do.
To make repairs on 24 sq. m in a typical studio apartment, having updated only the kitchen-living room and the tiles in the bathroom, you should pay attention to the Scandinavian style or contemporary. Both are adept at using space. It is better to choose white tiles in a small bathroom, with the possibility of laying obliquely for the visual effect of increasing the area. Interiors with an antique look for mini-footage are not suitable because of the excessive decorative elements and massive classic furniture, the dimensions and decor of which will "eat up" the already modest meters.
Next, decide if you need wallpaper or if there will be plaster on the walls. The choice of photowall-paper is now great, it is possible to print any images or choose beautiful textured wallpapers. It all depends on the choice of style and design project, which you can do yourself.
Continuing the theme of choosing a style, it should be noted that hobbies can play a key role in it: Imagine how you could arrange a stand for valuable things that demonstrate your achievements, hobbies, so that it delights and inspires. This will become the central theme.
Remember where you felt most at ease, in what place, at home, among what things, furniture, fabrics, smells. What memory prompts will determine the essence of the style. The details will be assembled like puzzles, and the choice will become obvious. You will understand in which direction to move.
If time permits, you can prepare more thoroughly, collect examples of interiors and their details in magazines. Dream about what you like, presenting in detail and sketching what you saw.
Just do not focus on cost - you can always find good analogs at an affordable price. It happens that a more democratic final version is liked more than the original expensive one.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Here you can see examples of beautiful and stylish interiors.
A discreet oriental interior with tiles on the floor.
2 different Japanese style bathroom designs.
Industrial black and white bathroom with eye-catching hexagonal tiles.
Original black and white living room interior.