There is a belief that a mirror is man's best friend. Today, no house is complete without a useful interior object. However, when choosing its location, the question of how to choose a mount involuntarily arises.
Features of the
Initially, you should evaluate the surface on which the installation will be carried out in the future. Each of them has both advantages and disadvantages:
concrete assumes the use of additional materials. To level the surface, putty and subsequent priming will be required both for mechanical processing with a perforator (installation of dowels) and for an adhesive. However, concrete is the most durable of all surfaces. It is able to withstand a heavy weight mirror and will provide a snug fit for the dowels
drywall the volumetric mirror will not withstand. In general, the weight of the mirror glass should not exceed 20 kg
To fasten it, you will need special fittings that will ensure proper fastening. Installation of dowels is not recommended in this case;
tile… For it, it is better to use profiles or brackets that are glued to the surface. Drilling with a perforator can damage the integrity of the tile and provoke its destruction
Based on the characteristics of various surfaces, it is necessary to choose the best installation option.
Mirror mounts are adhesive and mechanical. The latter should include fixation by means of dowels and brackets. Drilling is indispensable here. Moreover, holes must be made both in the wall and in the mirror itself.
The advantage of this method is that it is firmly attached to the brackets. And if you need to replace the mirror, you don't have to remove the dowels by choosing an object of the appropriate size.
Adhesive bases involve the use of two elements: an adhesive and a double-sided mounting tape. Scotch tape is a double-sided tape covered with an adhesive. It is easy to work with it, just as much as it is possible to make mistakes during installation.
The mirror may move out of place. To prevent unnecessary effort, you can use a small amount of clear glue. Apply liquid nails on the sides after the tape is glued on. Wherein do not go beyond the border of the mirror surface so that the sealant does not come out.
However, the mirror may not be glued to any surface. The tile is not able to hold liquid nails and double-sided tape. Especially in the bathroom, where the maximum humidity is concentrated. The glue is afraid of the temperature drop that exists in the kitchen or bathroom, due to the fact that it quickly collapses.
Before using the adhesive base, surface prophylaxis is required. The wall or finishing material must be cleaned of dirt and degreased with alcohol.
The method of mounting a mirror on a wall is often a concern. Due to its fragility, it can easily break if not securely fastened, which should also not harm the amalgam on the back. To avoid unpleasant consequences, there are several reliable installation methods:
- it is possible to do without drilling due to fixing the mirror sheet with a special adhesive;
- install supporting fittings on the wall: holders, profiles, brackets;
- drill a hole in the mirror;
- way for the lazy - double-sided tape.
There is also a through and blind mounting method. The first method is installation using dowels through holes in the mirror surface. An alternative is the operation of various fittings, which does not involve drilling the glass sheet. The end-to-end method is more gentle, but in terms of reliability it is not inferior to the end-to-end method.
The choice of mounting depends on the type of mirror purchased. If there are holes in it, then, accordingly, through fastening is necessary. Leaving holes in the surface is not aesthetically pleasing.
Glueing on a mirror is ideal for any size and weight object. When choosing products on the market, you can not only purchase a special glue for the mirror, but also use a glass sealant glue. None of the options are capable of causing damage to the amalgam coating.
If the purchase does not meet the requirements, then the reverse side of the mirror must be treated with a neutral silicone layer.
Glue comes to replace tools and fasteners, however, it requires several preliminary steps:
- the first step is to prepare the wall, freeing up space for the mirror. You can not leave anything superfluous, including wallpaper and tiles. Both materials do not guarantee their reliability and the ability to hold the mirror without falling off with it;
- if the finishing material was thicker than the mirror, then the latter will simply sink into the wall. In this case, the problem is solved by attaching an additional base under the mirror;
- the relief of the wall should be even. The holes will have to be filled with a cement mixture, and the elevations should be leveled with a putty. Further, the surface of the wall must be primed and dried;
- It is recommended to apply glue in large drops at a distance of 5 cm from each other. It is also suitable to apply in stripes at a distance of 8-12 cm. In this case, it is necessary to avoid collisions with the boundaries - the mirror glass squeezes the substance outward, leaving sloppy traces of installation;
- it will take some patience to attach the mirror to the wall. A small object must be held for 15 minutes to firmly bond to the surface. In the case of a mirror with a heavy weight and a larger surface area, first place supports or hangers, and leave to dry overnight.
If you choose glue as a wall mount, you need to understand that it will not work to dismantle it intact. We'll have to break up and carefully remove the debris.
The method of mounting a mirror on a wall is often a concern. Due to its fragility, it can easily break if it is not securely fastened, which should also not harm the amalgam.
The construction market is replete with a variety of mirror holders, a huge plus of which is that you do not have to drill a hole in the mirror. It will not be difficult to choose a suitable profile.
After purchasing the necessary tools, the locations of the holders should be noted. Install them according to the instructions, and insert the mirror, clamping it with staples.
To install the profile, you must first install the mirror in the holder, after fixing it on the wall.
The hole for fastening should not be drilled at right angles to the surface, but slightly obliquely from top to bottom.
This method will prevent the holders from falling out of the grooves, even if the hole expands. It is important to understand that a mirror is very fragile and requires a responsible approach.
Dowels in plastic sleeves
The beginning of work marks the marking of the mirror surface.Marks for mounts for small mirrors can be created using a marker, referring to the ruler. Large ones are recommended to be controlled with a laser level. Next, a step-by-step laborious process begins:
- holes are drilled with a drill. The drill can be chosen slightly smaller in diameter. This action is necessary in order for the wall to hold the plastic socket tightly;
- the dowels should be driven into the holes with a hammer. The self-tapping screw is screwed in with a screwdriver. Plastic tendrils will prevent him from leaving the hole;
- if the mirror has a protective surface, then it is recommended to use rings for hanging on hooks on such panels. The latter are attached to the wall thanks to ordinary self-tapping screws or liquid nails.
A mirror that does not have special holes can be fixed using guide corners. The fittings are glued to the wall surface or fixed on self-tapping screws.
The corner mirror can be hung with hooks, brackets, or glue. Fastening is also carried out using a profile. Wherein the hidden space between the mirror and the wall surface should be minimal, to prevent mold formation when moisture spreads. Canopies should not extend it.
The easiest option
The adhesive tape should be glued to polyethylene foam, which compensates for surface irregularities. It is better to choose the thickness of the adhesive tape from 1 to 1.8 mm with a width of up to 25 mm.
Pieces of tape must be distributed over the entire surface in parallel vertical lines at a short distance from each other. Enough 10-15 cm. It is also recommended to apply adhesive tape in a chaotic manner in small groups 15-25 cm long. The consumption of adhesive tape will depend on the area of the mirror.
The ability to correct a mistake when positioned incorrectly is a huge plus. Manufacturers of assembly tape give guarantees for 1000 attempts. However, it is important to understand that this method is only suitable for mirrors of small area and weight.
Where could I buy?
Before proceeding with the choice of mounts for the mirror, an involuntary thought arises of where to get them. For this purpose, any construction market is suitable, which has thousands of proposals. However, not every product unit can establish itself as a quality product. Consequently, sellers do not provide reliable guarantees for long-term operation.
In this respect the French company Leroy Merlin is competent. It maintains its leadership position in the construction market by offering high quality products. The products meet the requirements of modern style and have a wide range of products. It is not difficult to choose the necessary mountings suitable for home interior design.
The construction market is overwhelming with a variety of choices. To avoid confusion, experts recommend starting from several criteria:
- reliability and durability… It is required to take into account the area and weight of the mirror surface. Fragile and small mounts will not be able to hold a heavy mirror for a long time. They break quickly, leading to inevitable glass breakage;
- stealth. The aesthetic component is also important. A mount that does not fit the mirror will inevitably leave space between the glass and the wall. Either it will go beyond the mirror surface, which in any case will make an impartial picture;
- minimally disturbing wall decoration… For example, it is extremely difficult to mask holes for dowels on tiles. Even a cemented hole will stand out from the crowd.
A mount that matches these parameters will help you create the perfect composition. The correct choice will ensure long-term performance of the mirror surface.
Beautiful examples in the interior
The bathroom is a room for experimentation and creative ideas.In it, a mirror is necessary not only for practical purposes, but also fits as a decorative object of the interior. Mirrored tiles or large surfaces can add a touch of modern style.
The mirrored corridor from Alice in Wonderland is also worth trying to bring to life. A wardrobe and a large-area mirror on the wall are suitable for this.
For information on how to hang a heavy wall mirror, see the next video.