Garage doors are a construction, the choice of which presents certain difficulties for many. Often the owners of garage buildings give preference to such an option as lifting gates. They have their pros and cons, which it is advisable to know about before buying.
Features of the
Lifting garage doors are those structures that are opened with the help of a mechanism that lifts them. There are several types of overhead gates, each with its own specific pros and cons.
The opening mechanism is the following process: the gate leaf (one of the features of a lift-type gate is the presence of only one leaf) moves up, folding, or simply standing parallel to the ceiling. How the sash will ultimately be located depends on the type of gate.
One of the characteristic features of such structures is that it is possible to mount additional elements in the sash, such as a wicket or windows. Both options are used very often. This is due to the fact that often the garage is used not only as a place where the car is simply stored, but also as a space for car repairs.
In this case, it is often inconvenient for the owner to open the garage, setting the heavy structure in motion. It is much easier to simply use the built-in door that allows you to enter the garage without opening it directly.
It is worth mentioning the features of the organization of the windows, which allow you to let additional light into the garage. Windows are made of glass, always using grates. Thanks to them, the garage remains protected, and the risk of intruders entering it through the windows is minimized.
Among other things, it is necessary to take into account the fact that it is incredibly difficult to install a gate of this type. This is due not only to the fact that the structure has an impressive weight, but also due to the complexity of the mechanism that sets the sash in motion. Difficulties arise with both manual and remote-controlled systems.
The price for lifting garage doors varies, however, it does not particularly exceed the cost of other types of models (swing, roller shutter, and so on). So, the cheapest model can be purchased for 16,000 rubles. There is no upper price limit. It should be borne in mind that a structure made to order according to individual measurements will be much more expensive.
Advantages and disadvantages
Lifting structures for a garage have both pros and cons in approximately equal amounts.
Speaking about the advantages, the following characteristics are worth noting:
- Compact size. The door leaf itself does not require additional space for opening in front of the garage, in contrast to swing gates, for example. Additional space is needed under the ceiling, but even there it is small. As a rule, the gap set aside for the web does not exceed 20 cm.
- Simple assembly. Any beginner can assemble the structure, and not mount it, without any problems. For direct installation, you need to have certain skills and experience.
- Possibility to equip the gate with a remote control. We are talking about both opening with a mobile remote control and controlling a button or a remote control built into the wall.
- Ease of controls. Opening and closing vertical gates is much easier than horizontal gates.This is achieved through the use of a special mechanism consisting of springs and levers.
- Silence. When lifting or lowering, a properly installed device does not emit any abnormal sounds.
- High degree of protection. Some types of gates are characterized by the fact that they are almost impossible to break. The only way to get into such a garage from the street is to cut through the canvas.
- Long service life. If the gate is not home-made, but factory-assembled, then the manufacturers, as a rule, give them a ten-year guarantee of uninterrupted service.
- Ease of maintenance. The material used in the manufacture of the sash leaf itself is processed with special compounds that reliably protect it from corrosion and other adverse factors. Thus, all that is required is to lubricate the mechanisms from time to time to make them run more smoothly.
- Variability of use. The lifting structure can be used both as an outdoor one and as an intrayard one. It is also suitable for installation in both single and double garages.
The disadvantages are not so numerous, however, there are some.
The following important characteristics should be taken into account:
- Limited form. Louvered garage doors can only be installed in rectangular or square openings. This is due to the peculiarities of the lifting device.
- The impossibility of repairing the canvas. If we are talking about cases when the gate leaf is executed as a single leaf, and not a sectional one, then it will not work to repair any of its separate sections in case of breakdown. It will be necessary to buy a new monolithic canvas, replacing the entire version. This feature does not apply to the mechanism responsible for the lifting process - it can be repaired.
- Complexity of installation. As mentioned above, the installation itself requires certain knowledge and it is better to entrust it to professionals.
Overload risk. When insulating the gate, there is a risk that the lifting mechanism will not cope with the new weight of the structure, therefore, it is first necessary to clarify what weight the working elements are designed for
By and large, only two types of overhead street gates can be distinguished: overhead sectional and overhead swing. With a stretch, rolling shutters can also be ranked as lifting ones. They are also called jalousie, since by the principle of their operation they strongly resemble vertical blinds.
Roller gates will not be considered, since most experts attribute them to a very special, separate category, but the first two types should be dwelled on in more detail.
Such folding gates are simpler both in design and installation. You can often find homemade options of this type, since it is not difficult to make them yourself. However, it should be borne in mind that self-production is unprofitable from a financial point of view: some materials will take 25% more money than buying a ready-made structure with a guarantee.
The lift-and-turn version is represented by one monolithic canvas, often insulated. When opened, the entire sash rises to the ceiling without folding or bending. It should be borne in mind that during lifting, the canvas nevertheless protrudes slightly forward into the street, due to which the gate should be opened, leaving the car 1-1.5 m from the very entrance to the garage.
These gates can rightfully be called folding. They do not consist of one canvas, but of several, interconnected. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage. On the one hand, the sash moves straight up, without protruding forward, as a result of which the car can drive up close to the garage without waiting for it to open.
On the other hand, the fact that the canvas is not monolithic makes it less burglar-resistant, therefore, the lift-sectional version is less reliable than the lift-and-turn one.
Both folded and monolithic varieties can be additionally strengthened using special profiles. Manufacturers take into account the fact that winters in Russia are extremely harsh, so there is always an opportunity to additionally insulate the gates so that they do not freeze through.
In some cases, if there is a lifting sash, it is impossible to heat the garage, therefore, insulation is very useful.
Principle of operation
To imagine how the process of raising and closing the sash is carried out, you need to consider a diagram that clearly demonstrates it.
For the operation of such gates, a system of special drives is used. They set in motion the sash itself. Please note that the drives are used not ordinary, but reinforced. This is primarily due to the large weight of the blade, as well as the frequency of operation.
Several types of mechanisms used are classified:
- hinge-link device;
- hydraulic system;
- counterbalance system.
Each type has its own characteristics. The linkage mechanism is used more often than others. This is due to its simplicity and clarity, as well as the fact that even a beginner can install it. The linkage system is well suited for home use.
Counterweights are installed on the sash, which is exposed to heavy use. We are talking mainly about industrial, production facilities, as well as all those places where extremely heavy gates are used. It can be garages for buses, and fire departments, and other similar objects.
Hydraulic mechanisms are the most expensive of allhowever, they are also the most comfortable. Control of such gates, their closing and opening is not difficult. Self-assembly of elements of such a system is only possible for professionals, and independent production, in general, is impossible. The kit for the hydraulic device can only be purchased from a specialist retailer.
Any gates can be equipped with automatic electric drives responsible for opening them. Thus, the process of operating the sash is facilitated, the physical effort required to open the garage is minimized. However, such measures also affect the price. When equipping the structure with a remote control function, it is worthwhile to provide for the possibility of mechanical opening, so that if the electricity is cut off, you can get into the garage.
If we talk about standard dimensions, then we can only determine the typical height of the garage doors themselves and the height of the overhead sectional panels. This is due to the fact that the width of the sash varies greatly, depending on which garage it is purchased for. There are single garages, and there are double garages and this significantly affects the width.
The height of panels in the structure of overhead sectional doors is on average 50 cm.This height is due to convenience: firstly, there are not so many seams in the canvas, and secondly, strips of this height easily bend and go under the ceiling without deforming.
The leaf height is usually 2.3 m. This dimension is considered standard for garages, in which the ceiling height rarely exceeds this indicator. The size of 2.3 m also takes into account the correction for storing the canvas itself when folded, equal to 20 cm.Therefore, even opening the gate, it will be comfortable to be in the garage, because the ceiling height in this case will be 2.1 m.
If the gate is equipped with a wicket, then its dimensions are also typical. It is worth noting that such designs will differ from those typically adopted due to the fact that they are regarded as for a utility room.So, the dimension of the garage door cut in the sash will be 60x190 cm or 70x190 cm. Both options are acceptable. The final decision on the door width remains with the manufacturer.
As for windows, there is no standard for them, because glass inserts are often used for decorative purposes. Vitreous blotches can be twisted, complex shapes, and not just rectangular.
If your garage differs from the standard one (for example, it was carried out individually according to a design project drawing), then it is highly recommended to make custom-made garage doors.
This is due to the fact that only in this way can the optimal option be selected, which will protect the building from penetration as well as possible. In addition, exclusive gates will look the most advantageous as they can be styled to match the existing exterior.
Both foreign and domestic suppliers represent their products on the market. Based on the feedback from the garage owners who bought these or those lifting gates, a rating of the most popular companies was compiled.
"LegProm". A well-established Russian company. When installing this option, it is possible to equip the gate with an automated opening system. Users also note a long warranty period: the manufacturer promises that the gate will withstand at least 25,000 opening and closing cycles
Sibars. Representative from Russia. The Sibars sash is already equipped with an electric drive from the very beginning, which facilitates the operation process. One of the additional benefits is the thickness of the web. Sandwich panels used in production vary in thickness from 40 to 60 mm
Zaiger. The Swiss factory produces high quality models, which, however, are not cheap. The minimum gate price is 26 400 rubles. The gates are insulated at the factory, so the thickness of the panels used is 53 mm
Judging by the reviews, the insulation quality is very good. The gate can withstand Russian frosts perfectly.
- Alutech. The company from Russia produces high-quality doors that belong to the premium segment. This also affects the price, which starts at 35,700 rubles. The gates are equipped with a special mechanism that guarantees a tight fit of the sash to the opening. Achieved complete absence of gaps and cracks.
- Doorhan. The Russian manufacturer has proven itself well. The presence of additional parameters for adjusting the brackets makes the system extremely convenient, but at the same time a number of requirements appear that must be met for the successful installation of the structure. The sash is fully automatic. Judging by the reviews, the automation works fine.
"Korn". The rating is closed by the manufacturer "Korn" from Russia, famous for the abundance of color and design solutions for its gates. This company specializes in the production of sectional spring models. The prices for the products also cannot be called low, but buyers note an excellent price-quality ratio
DIY assembly and installation
To carry out the assembly and installation yourself, you need to make some effort. If there should be no problems with the assembly as such, then you will have to tinker with the installation. This is especially true for overhead sectional doors. First you need to arm yourself with a drawing of the gate. If a ready-made model is purchased, then the drawing is attached to the assembly instructions. If the gate is made independently, then the drawing needs to be done. To do this, it is necessary to take all measurements from the garage opening, including its width and height.
It is also necessary to check if there is enough space on the ceiling for the leaf to be there while the gate is open. It must be borne in mind that the dimension of the lintel for successful installation should be 90 mm.
There is also an easier option.When all measurements are taken from the opening and the dimensions are clear, a suitable ready-made drawing is selected, after which it is simply copied. Here are a few that might work.
To complete all the work, you will need a suitable toolkit, including:
- mounting levels;
- a marker or other option that allows you to mark places for drilling or fastening;
- drill and drill set;
- screwdriwer set;
- welding machine;
- circular saw or grinder;
- set of wrenches.
After everything is ready, you need to decide on the material, as well as the drive system that will be used. You also need to think about whether the gate will be equipped with automation. If yes, then it should be borne in mind that the installation of an electric drive will require experience and special knowledge.
It is better for an amateur not to take on such a complex matter, since the system is expensive, and if the work cannot be done, then the repair will also be expensive. Making a gate with your own hands is unprofitable, since both monetary and labor costs will be clearly higher than when buying a finished structure, so it is more rational to buy a factory version with a guarantee and mount it.
Choice of materials
Despite the seeming lack of variety, overhead garage doors can be made from different materials, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages. Metal is always taken as a basis, but it can be revetted with wood. It should be borne in mind that a solid array cannot be used when decorating a gate. This will add additional weight to the already heavy structure. Better to give preference to lining.
For wooden gates, a special impregnation is required, which will provide protection to the wooden panels. It is worth remembering that wood is a rather "capricious" material, unstable to various external influences. Temperature drops, high humidity, constant mechanical influences can quickly spoil the original appearance of the tree, as well as negatively affect its heat and sound insulation qualities. If you know that the conditions in the garage are unfavorable for the tree, it is better to refuse to use it.
If we talk about the material for insulation, then there is little choice. Either rock wool or foam is often preferred. And then, and then it protects well against heat loss and drafts, however, foam is more preferable, since it has less weight. In addition, the sash, insulated with foam, will be thicker, therefore, it will be harder to crack.
However, polystyrene is unsuitable for overhead sectional doors due to the fact that the leaves will turn out to be too thick, and the load on the mechanism will increase. For folding models, mineral wool is used, which does an excellent job of thermal insulation, while making it possible to keep the thickness of the panels at the proper level. As you can see, the choice of material is one of the difficult steps that must be carried out extremely deliberately. Evaluate all the operating conditions, also do not forget about your wishes for the appearance of the structure. Then it will turn out to choose the option that best meets all the requirements.
Before proceeding with the installation, it is worth checking the set of components. You need to make sure everything is in stock. The set of certain elements varies from model to model, but it is extremely important to check the quality of the guides and springs. Both elements are responsible for the reliability and safety of the structure, and this plays a paramount role, because no one wants to harm the sash or the car.
To install the gate yourself, you need to arm yourself with the following step-by-step instructions:
- They start with the manufacture of the frame. First of all, it is necessary to weld a U-shaped frame from reinforced profiles. The corners should be strictly 90 degrees.
- The frame is tried on to the opening.The required depth in the floor screed is 2-5 cm. This is done so that the structure is held as well as possible. The frame is fixed to the opening with anchor bolts, and all slots and gaps between it and the opening are treated with foam.
- The top rails are fixed to the ceiling. It is extremely important to do this work as efficiently as possible, since it is the guides that are responsible for the smooth operation of the entire mechanism. Using a level, they check the quality of the fastening: the guides must be fixed evenly.
- Next comes the turn of the brackets. They are welded to the slats. It is necessary to fasten the brackets taking into account that a small gap is required for the unhindered opening of the web. This is especially true for lift-and-turn gates. The brackets are completed with rollers.
- After that, the sash itself is fitted to the frame. If it passes freely through it, the frame is finally attached. Particular attention should be paid to the joint between the web and the guides: here the gaps should be as small as possible.
- Welding work is in progress. The seams are cleaned.
- The sash is insulated by means of a gasket of material, which is welded on both sides with iron sheets. Further, the sash is degreased, primed and painted or decorated with clapboard.
- The canvas is installed in the guides. The springs are immediately adjusted. Remember that their job is to secure the sash. They should not pull the canvas down. It is important to ensure that the springs are not too stiff.
- Finally, fittings are installed: handle, latch, locks.
It is much easier to operate gates equipped with an automatic electric drive. Less physical effort is required, and you can open the gate without leaving the car, which is important for most of the year.
It will be possible to independently adjust the automation only if you are a professional electrician or already have experience in such work. The wiring system is quite complex and requires a direct connection to the house wiring. You will also need to equip a remote control. It can be either stationary, located on the wall, or portable.
Many owners mount these two options at the same time, complementing the system with the possibility of manual opening. This decision is made for maximum convenience.
The most expensive equipment option is a hydraulic drive. Here it is possible to mount a system operating at maximum speed. Such gates are also called fast-lifting. If usually it takes 3-5 minutes to raise the canvas, then in these systems the time for raising and lowering the sash is halved. This is extremely convenient, especially for those who are always in a hurry somewhere.
To equip automatic control, additional funds are required. On average, such work requires about 30% of the cost of garage doors, but the final figure remains individual. It is worth weighing the pros and cons before deciding whether to equip the gate with automation or not. In some cases, automatic control is not as necessary as it seems at first glance, and abandoning it allows you to save significant money.
If you do decide to make automatic control, pay special attention to the fact that all electronic components are of the highest quality. So you minimize the risk that the wiring of the whole house will burn out due to a short circuit and protect yourself from possible expensive repairs.
Adjustment and operation check
To adjust the gate, it is necessary to open and close it several times.
In this case, you need to pay attention to the following:
- the presence of extraneous sounds;
- smooth lifting and lowering of the web.
The operation of the mechanism must be completely silent, otherwise it can be concluded that the installation was not carried out completely correctly.The easiest thing to do is to lubricate the mechanisms. Perhaps the problem lies precisely in the insufficient amount of lubricating solution in the components.
The second option is more complicated. The reason for the lack of smooth running may lie in insufficient lubrication of the mechanisms, in improper adjustment of the springs, or in the excessive weight of the blade. If the first and second reasons are quite easy to eliminate, then too much weight is a more serious problem. It is necessary either to lighten the sash itself, or to re-equip the lifting mechanism based on a heavier structure.
You can strengthen the gate even at the installation stage. This is negotiated with the manufacturer from which the design is ordered. As a rule, professionals calculate everything and deliver a kit that fully complies with the standards. If, nevertheless, problems arise during operation, then you need to contact the office of the manufacturer - such cases are covered by the warranty, and you are required to provide a free consultation, possibly with a specialist visit to your home.
You can try to adjust the mechanism with your own hands, but it should be borne in mind that any attempts at self-repair are regarded as mechanical damage. If during your intervention you make things worse, you will have to do the repeated repairs at your own expense. It is safer to immediately seek professional help.
The experts share several recommendations for how how to make the operation process as simple and enjoyable as possible:
- If there is an alternative during installation - drilling or welding, then choose welding. With this approach, the frame is more securely fastened, since there are no additional holes.
- Also pay attention to the dimensions of your garage. Installation of lifting-type doors is possible only when the opening height is at least 230 cm, and the lintel height (the distance between the upper edge of the opening and the ceiling) is at least 90 cm. This is due to the design feature of the lifting garage door.
- The canvas should not be heavier than 100 kg. In other cases, a reinforced fastening and working mechanism is required.
- If possible, equip the structure with stoppers. They are equipped for safety reasons, since they do not allow the sash to pinch a person standing in the opening or damage the car.
- Pay attention to modern decorative solutions. Garage doors can not only be painted to harmonize with the interior and the surrounding landscape, but also decorated with windows, glass inserts.
- If you use the garage as a repair shop, as well as as an additional entrance to the house, equip the gate with a wicket or door that allows you to enter it without fully raising the sash. This will save you time and avoid unnecessary stress on the sash. However, it should be borne in mind that such a solution reduces the burglary resistance of the garage, so it is necessary to additionally install an alarm and take other measures to enhance security.
Thus, a garage with lift-type gates is a modern ergonomic solution that greatly improves the quality of life of its owners, providing reliable protection for their cars.
In this video, you will find instructions for installing a garage door operator.